Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Islam on Jesus and Mary

edited December 2011 in Faith & Religion
I just heard an American Muslim on the radio say that the Koran speaks of Jesus twice as often as it does of Mohammad, that it says Jesus was created from the spirit of God, and it speaks several times of Mary (Miriam), including that she was a virgin. This commentator didn't say what name they use for Jesus. I know "Yuz Assaf", another name for Jesus, is mentioned throughout the Koran, so maybe that's what he was referring to.

Does anyone have any more information on this? The commentator claims the Koran says that Jews and Christians should be respected, or treated peacefully, because they believe in the same God as the Muslims. Something like that. Has anyone here read the Koran?

Comments

• I've not had a proper read of the Koran, but I've perused bits of it; it was a bit boring to be honest, but that was probably because I didn't understand it.

But Jesus is recognised as a prophet in the Koran, not the son of God; and Christianity, Islam and Judaism are known as Abrahamic religions because they all trace their common roots to Abraham.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Mary is mentioned more times in the Qu'ran than she is in the Bible, yes.
  • Yes, Islam views Jesus as the messiah, just like Christians. Unlike the Christians, however, we do not view Jesus as God or the actual son of God. Yes, Jews and Chrisitans are the "people of the book" hence they are our spiritual relatives and should be treated as such. If you cannot tell, I am Muslim.
  • If you cannot tell, I am Muslim.
    lol! Well, you're welcome here, Takuan. Jews don't view Jesus as divine, either, so that makes 2 out of three, among the Abrahamic religions. Thanks for your comment. Too bad all the "people of the book" can't get along. :(

The talk show caller I was referring to said Muslims believe Jesus was created from God's spirit. Is that correct? (That would imply a quality of divinity, unless they believe everyone is created similarly.) Does the Koran say anything about Jesus' "lost years" between 12 and 29, or about his life after the Crucifixion? What does it say about his mother? I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain.
  • With concern to Jesus, we believe him to be a prophet, all be it a prophet with an unfinished purpose. He is not divine, in Islamic belief. As you said, according to most sects of Islam, we are all from God. He is born of a virgin via God's decree, so in that respect he is a bit different from most prophets.

With concern to the lost years of Jesus, I don't believe there is much info. Pretty much the Qur'an goes from the annunciation of Jesus' birth to him teaching the Torah during his childhood. After this, there is sort of a blank period until he is given the revelation of the Injil (Gospel), in his adulthood.

Mary holds a special place in Islamic theology. She is considered one of the most righteous women in the history of the Abrahamic faiths. Many Muslim women look up to her, and there is a whole surah of the Qur'an named for her. As for what it says about her, well it's hard to put into words. Basically, the Qur'an refers to her piety, courage, and righteousness quite a few times from beginning to end.

Muslims do not believe that Jesus was crucified. The Qur'an says that it only appeared that he was crucified, but in actuality he was taken to Paradise. There is a similar story in the Bible about the prophet Elijah, who was taken into Heaven before actually dying on Earth.
  • Oh I forgot to mention that some Muslims believe in the account mentioned in the Gospel of Barbabas, which does cover Jesus' childhood.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    What a fascinating thread! The Gospel of Barabas? I haven't heard of that one. Time to Google that.
    edit: oh, it's Barnabas.
  • Sorry about that, yes it's Barnabas.