Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I don't believe in horoscopes but...

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited March 2006 in General Banter
I just finished responding to the "Love/Marriage" and "How close have you come to dying?" threads and then I went back to my homepage and read my horoscope for fun. Here's what it said:

Taurus
April 19 - May 19
You may be feeling the pressure of time right now, dear Taurus. At this point in your life you may be more aware than ever before of your limited time left on this planet. Perhaps you are also thinking more about love and romance and how much they mean to you. Consider the limitations of each, but don't dwell on them. The important thing is to embrace the now and make the most of the time and the love that you have at this very moment.

Hmmmm......

LOL!

Brigid

Comments

• angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited March 2006
    i believe the horoscope,fortune-telling,etc when they tell me good things,but i dont believe them when they tell me bad things.btw i'm taurus too.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Cool, Angulimala!

Taureans ROCK!

LOL!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    My dear Brigid - Taureans crap... hence the term :bs:

-bf
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I'm a Capricorn with Taurus Rising and Taurus Moon. Apparantly my birth-chart has the bucket configuration, though I haven't really had anybody properly explain this to me.

Not sure how I feel about horoscopes, though I do enjoy the wisdom aspect of Tarot (and the likes) and consider it to a be a useful tool in self exploration. The e-mail/newspaper horoscopes simply don't take in nearly enough factors to be anywhere near reliable, imo, even if you do believe.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I believe, as a Buddhist, that placing any importance on "things of chance" is just about as effective as faith.

Horoscopes can be for fun and amusement (like wedgies) but, in my mind, that's about it.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    My dear Brigid - Taureans crap... hence the term :bs:

-bf

LOL! Oh, stuff it, BS. I mean BF.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    I just finished responding to the "Love/Marriage" and "How close have you come to dying?" threads and then I went back to my homepage and read my horoscope for fun. Here's what it said:

Taurus
    April 19 - May 19
    You may be feeling the pressure of time right now, dear Taurus. At this point in your life you may be more aware than ever before of your limited time left on this planet. Perhaps you are also thinking more about love and romance and how much they mean to you. Consider the limitations of each, but don't dwell on them. The important thing is to embrace the now and make the most of the time and the love that you have at this very moment.

Hmmmm......

LOL!

Brigid

Sometimes the horoscopes encourage one to look a little deeper into oneself-and I definitely agree with the tarot business(even if it is a buch of bullshit-Jim Morrison) I believe that any divination method (runes, tarot, I Ching etc.) have a place more in the realm of self-checking than in the fortune-telling arena.

and Brigid, About that romance thing? WTF is that all about? *wink wink*:wow:

kind regards,
    Xrayman
    (your secret admirer) teehee.:thumbsup:

p.s. we all know taureans rock!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Horoscopes are for silly fun, or at least the one's I get on my homepage. They're eerily accurate sometimes, though. LOL!

I'm like the old Highland (Scottish) woman sitting outside her croft being interviewed by a folklorist who says in wonderment, "But surely you don't believe in fairies!".
    "Oh, no!" she says. "But they're there just the same."

Brigid
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    and Brigid, About that romance thing? WTF is that all about? *wink wink*

LOL!

If you read my post in "Love/Marriage" you'll see that I was "thinking more about love and romance and how much they mean to you." Love, a lot. Romance.....not so much.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    :skeptical mmmm.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I am soooo not romantic!...anymore. I kinda, sorta used to be but I used to wear diapers, too. (K. That didn't come out right at all. It sounded different in my head.)

My point is, I am no longer a romantic fool.
    So, here's a nice long raspberry for you, Xray!

BRRRBBBLLRRLLBBRRBLLLBBLLLLRRBBBLLLL!!!! (How on earth do you spell that out?)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman and I are big on grammar and spelling....

I think you'll find it's "phrrrrrphrph".
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    (Thanks, Fede!)

Hey! ....Xray!!!! (That rhymed) Here's one for you!!!

PHRRRRPHRPHRRRRRPHRRRRR !!!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    OK.... you can tell I'm having a bad day when the really little things get to me.... and it's so stupid, I get even madder with myself, that something so small and stupid bugs me....so I'll just get it of my chest now....

You know what bugs me? What really bugs me?

When people say -
    "I heard this great quote".... or "here's a quote for you...."

It's not 'quote.'

It's 'Quotation.'

'Quote' is the conjugation.... To 'Quote.'

I quote, you quote, he/she quotes......

'Quotation' is the noun.

I told you it was stupid.

I'm having a bad day. :werr: :lol:
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman- I'm right with you on the tarot cards! I read tarot cards and I-Ching myself, and one thing that always bugs me is when people ask me to 'tell their fortune'. (I feel like I want to put on way too much gold bangles and a headscarf while telling them to cross my palms with silver!) Divination of any kind can't predict the future- it's not set in stone. What it can do, in a Jungian, archetypal kind of way, is show the underlying trends of the querent (Person asking for the reading) within the context of a particular situation, be they socialogocal, psychological or whatever. Done in this way, it's possible for someone to see where they MAY be headed, and act accordingly if they so wish. Tarot is also a wonderful tool for self-discovery when used properly. As far as astrology goes, bear in mind that the horoscopes published in newsprint are generalisations, averaged-out to apply to as many people of that sign as possible; you'll only get a 'spot-on' reading every once in a while.

As for birthsigns- I'm Aquarius/Pisces cusp (Western calendar), Dragon (Chinese calendar) and Wolf (Native American calendar.) The Chinese birthsign is the most accurate personality type for me as far as these go...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    OK.... you can tell I'm having a bad day when the really little things get to me.... and it's so stupid, I get even madder with myself, that something so small and stupid bugs me....so I'll just get it of my chest now....

When people say -

It's not 'quote.'

It's 'Quotation.'

'Quotation' is the noun.

Hey, I didn't think of that! Of course! (I just slapped my forehead.)

Thanks, Fede. I love this kind of thing. Popular improper usage. It's so fun! My father and I used to play this game all the time. I'd think of things I'd heard during the day that were incorrect and he'd do the same and we'd compare notes. One I used to hear a lot was "irregardless". And you know what? My spell check program didn't ding just now! That means that word is in it's dictionary. Wtf? Is it considered a word now? Or were the people who wrote my little spell check program illiterate? I have to go check.....

OMG! It's in Oxford! Wahhhh!!!:bawling:
    • adjective & adverb informal regardless.

— ORIGIN probably a blend of IRRESPECTIVE and REGARDLESS.

O.K. Now I'm having a bad day. I know that language is ever changing and that's beautiful and everything but what on earth was wrong with "regardless"??? I don't like this game anymore. And I'm not playing. What's the point if all the wrong usages are being accepted now? There goes another part of the foundation of intellectual elitism. Dammit!! Will somebody remind me why I went to university?

:)

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    I was a bit of a language/grammar nazi a few years ago, but after mellowing out a little and realising that language as we know it now is almost entirely constructed by things that were considered wrong usage, even my own mistakes don't bother me much anymore.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    That's a very good point, Aquula.

My original story was going to be about how I had to stop playing the word game with my father because he became such a "language/grammar nazi" about it and I had to repeatedly remind him of the changing nature of language. (I'm my father's daughter, I know!)

I'll have to tell him what you said the next time he's on the verge of a coronary shouting at the TV.

Brigid
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Constantly evolving language is a timely reminder of impermanence. :grin:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hey, Padawan!! That's a good one! Hadn't thought of that one.

I wish I could use that on my father but he's a 75 year old Catholic with regrets and the last thing he wants to hear about is impermanence. LOL!

Brigid
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Hey, Padawan!! That's a good one! Hadn't thought of that one.

I wish I could use that on my father but he's a 75 year old Catholic with regrets and the last thing he wants to hear about is impermanence. LOL!

Brigid

I'm just glad I spotted it before Zenmonk did! :lol:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    federica wrote:

When people say -

It's not 'quote.'

It's 'Quotation.'

'Quotation' is the noun.

Hey Federica,

I'll let you in on a secret, Brigid is really good at English as well, she edited an article of mine.

She's real smart.

love you both.

regards,
    Xray
    :ausflag:
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:

When people say -

It's not 'quote.'

It's 'Quotation.'

'Quotation' is the noun.

What really bugs me these days is the lack of the letter T in this country(UK)! Did we LOSE a bunch of t's somewhere??!!

What happened to the good old voice of the BBC?
    Nex' up on BBC 1 - Lih'l Bri'han. Inni'

Grrrrrrrrrr!! :D

I love regional accents but what's wrong with actually pronouncing words?!

*rant over* :)

Sas (stupid too!)

Even our daugh'er's reception teacher can' say her t's:-/ :wtf:
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    And now your weekly horoscope, courtesy of our friends at [url]www.theonion.com:[/url]
    Your Horoscope

March 13, 2006 | Issue 42•11

Aries March 21 - April 19

The cycle of domestic violence perpetuated from generation to generation in your family will finally be broken this week, after you beat your only son to death with a steel wrench.

Taurus April 20 - May 20

You'll wonder aloud this week if there's anything duct tape can't do, much to the horror of your fellow EMTs and the crowd that has gathered.

Gemini May 21 - June 21

You will come to realize what's actually important in life this week after your father passes away, freeing up time you would've ordinarily spent by his bedside for playing video games.

Cancer June 22 - July 22

Difficulty telling right from wrong will lead to indulgent behavior this week, which in turn will lead to difficulty telling right from left.

Leo July 23 - August 22

You will still be able to count the number of times you've suffered a woodshop accident on one hand by the end of next week, although it'll take a little more ingenuity and creativity than before.

Virgo August 23 - September 22

Your life as a pediatrician will be exposed for the farce it truly is this week when you're completely stumped by an 18-year-old with a runny nose.

Libra September 23 - October 23

The old adage "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" will feel particularly appropriate this week when you grow increasingly envious of how much grayer your neighbor's cement driveway looks than yours.

Scorpio October 24 - November 21

Life will give you lemons again this week, which you will make a huge deal about, complaining incessantly about how often you receive lemons, and how you can name at least seven other people who deserve lemons more than you do.

Sagittarius November 22 - December 21

Despite the niggling feeling that you require medical attention, you will continue to leave the symptoms of schizophrenia untreated this week after management at Pixar awards you yet another raise for the facility and inventiveness with which you anthropomorphize inanimate objects.

Capricorn December 22 - January 19

Nuclear physicists J. D. Cockroft and E. T. S. Walton may have been the first to split the atom, but if all goes according to plan this week, you will hold the distinction of being the last to do so.

Aquarius January 20 - February 18

You will survive a bank robbery gone awry next week, after your captors decide to release their least attractive and personable hostage first.

Pisces February 19 - March 20

Your 6-year-old daughter will forever be traumatized this week after she accidentally walks in on you and your wife having snacks.

until next week, Good luck!

_/\_
    metta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    New Poll Finds 86 Percent Of Americans
    Don't Want To Have A Country Anymore.

When I went to The Onion, this was the headline.

GREAT site, Not1! Thank you soooo much!! Just what I needed.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    What really bugs me these days is the lack of the letter T in this country(UK)! Did we LOSE a bunch of t's somewhere??!!

Sas (stupid too!)

Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
  • edited March 2006

Sas (stupid too!)

The opposite is happening in Sweden, people are pronouncing words more and more as they are spelled. We seem to think that it's more correct to pronounce words by the spelling when they have *never* been pronouned that way. (And the funny thing is that some people have to stop and think if they're asked if the written or spoken language existed first, and that a few will even say the written language, until they think about it a little more and realise that can't be.)

I think it's sad that we see the written language as better, more correct, more right, when it's only a pale, shallow imitation of the spoken language. (And I have to be very alone in wondering if the things we give up when we learn to read and write are actually worth trading for literacy. :lol:)
    edited March 2006
    I think there is a difference between the Evolution of a Language (grammar, spelling, pronunciation) and sheer laziness and poor speech/writing....

In France, there is a specific mode of language (conjugation, particularly) for the written word, and the spoken word... There is terminology in literature that is simply incorrect to use in speaking... it's extremely difficult for one who is not in the know, and I would venture to suggest that the same may be said of the English language....
    It's a question of standard....
    I fully recognise the existence of regional accents and dialects, and peculiarities and colloqualisms found everywhere.
    What I deplore is shoddyness.... laziness from those who frankly should know better (The BBC and the Body of education to name and shame but two) ....and it seeps down, through society, and through to our children, as being acceptable.

I still remember the rap on the knuckles I received from a Teacher when I corrected their grammar.
    And my father's indignance when he had a shouting match with her in the car park after school.
    He left her a gibbering trembling wreck. And all through pure use of polite but firm correct English, nothing more.
  • edited March 2006
    That's kind of what I was trying to say before though... what's considered lazy now may be considered very proper and correct in the future and what we see as correct language and grammar now may have been seen as very rude and lazy in the past (or it might have been seen as arrogant and pretentious).

(And I know that there are differences between how Swedish has changed and evolved and how a lot of other European languages have, because in Sweden middle class got strong early and they were very worried about being seen as correct, so started using "bookish" language, while the upper class and working classes retained the old ways of speaking because they (the upper class) didn't have that urge to prove themselves and so didn't see the written language as more correct, they would've seen using that kind of language as pretentious.)
  • edited March 2006
    Hmm.

This idea of correctness in language brought back a lot of feelings from teacher's education and about everything that's wrong with the school system, and I didn't realise it until now. I'm sorry if I was unfair and directed that against any of you.
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    I think there is a difference between the Evolution of a Language (grammar, spelling, pronunciation) and sheer laziness and poor speech/writing....
    *snip*
    What I deplore is shoddyness.... laziness from those who frankly should know better (The BBC and the Body of education to name and shame but two) ....and it seeps down, through society, and through to our children, as being acceptable.

I absolutely agree. I'm no linguistic genius, even in my own language. And (starting a sentence with "and" - consider my knuckles rapped, Fede :D)... and I'm not a perfect speaker either. I was brought up on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border and have lived in Newcastle where I picked up a Geordie accent and now live in Birmingham. Despite my very best efforts, and the fact that hubby is a Brummie born and bred but has NO Brummie accent at all, I do now have a slight Brummie twang! :( I often liken my accent to a cross between Daphne from Frazier and Ozzy Osbourne, but I am being harsh on myself there :)

I've also been known to drop my t's on occassion *gasp*- and it is just lazy! Hubby soon corrects me too! :lol:

Kizzie's reception teacher is the most dreadful speaker - what a great start to a 5 year old's education!

As an aside, thinking about our children's school: do you think a secular state primary school should be teaching and making children PRACTICE Christianity on a daily basis?! Daily prayers and hymns and even teaching the children that God makes the snow?! Oooooo I'm getting all worked up about this :) But (there I go again! *raps own knuckles*) I'd better stop talking about our children's school because you won't be able to stop me! Off topic so put a stop to me and don't respond! :D:lol:

Sas
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Aquula,

I find myself agreeing with you and I think the Swedish perspective is absolutely fascinating. I tried to learn Swedish in university but my language skills are far too weak.

I like the more laid back approach to language. I like to enjoy the history of its evolution and it's changing nature.

Brigid
    edited March 2006

As an aside, thinking about our children's school: do you think a secular state primary school should be teaching and making children PRACTICE Christianity on a daily basis?! Daily prayers and hymns and even teaching the children that God makes the snow?! Oooooo I'm getting all worked up about this :) But (there I go again! *raps own knuckles*) I'd better stop talking about our children's school because you won't be able to stop me! Off topic so put a stop to me and don't respond! :D:lol:

Sas

This is a whole new topic, and I've opened a new thread in the European and Australian Buddhists' section.... ;)
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    This is a whole new topic, and I've opened a new thread in the European and Australian Buddhists' section.... ;)

Don't encourage me :D:lol:

Sas