Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Difficulty In Acceptance

edited December 2011 in Faith & Religion
I read a discussion earlier about someone being raised in a different faith and then turning to Buddhism.

The same thing happened to me, raised in a Christian household and eventually turned to Buddhism.

Now, the difficult thing for me, one of the most difficult things and something I struggle with on a daily basis is how am I able to accept Christianity with all of its' judgement and hatred towards those who are "different"?

I am gay and I have struggled with Christian devotees who have went so far as to completely ignore me once I came out to them. The exact opposite happened in Buddhism, as the first encounter I had was with a Buddhist who told me, "I accept you for who you are." This completely revolutionized the way I saw religion and life philosophy.

Now, not to appear judgmental, I do have many Christian friends who accept me for who I am and who have not once judged me.

I truly struggle with accepting some Christians and I have caught myself being judgmental towards their religion and towards their hatred and I usually feel quite awful afterwards.

I am an extremely accepting person and I usually aim for non-judgment in ALL cases. I have friends from all walks of life, poor, rich, old, young etc. Yet, for some reason, I still struggle to sometimes accept Christianity as a non-judgmental faith and to not be wary of Christians.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    your issue is not with Christianity, or the religion; Your issue is with those who interpret, manipulate or twist the word they say they believe in, to suit their ends.

And people have been doing this in Religion, since time immemorial.
    Your task is to distinguish between those who actively demonstrate the Love of god as I am certain God would wish - and those who behave in a hypocritical manner.

Easy.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Religions are becoming more accepting, as is society... Not there yet, but making progress. There is still a wide range of acceptance to be found within the religions and cultures... I think Buddhist are more accepting because it is not based on a judgemental God. Christians seem to be In transition in the US in their acceptance views, then we still have places like Iran under Sharia law that has a death penalty for being gay.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I truly struggle with accepting some Christians and I have caught myself being judgmental towards their religion and towards their hatred and I usually feel quite awful afterwards.
    This is a normal and understandable struggle! The easy way out it to not take it personally.

Their hatred is an affliction to their own mind. You've noticed how awful you feel after being judgmental, they also feel pain as a response to hatred and ignorance. You are in the lucky position of silencing your own painful reaction and looking for something different. They are trapped like slaves, because to them a higher power demands their hatred, justifies it.

Its sad for them, and we can have compassion for them. Often on our walks through the garden we come across people who are chained and afflicted by their views. If you remove yourself from their cycle (detach), there will be love and compassion. Remember that their view causes them to suffer!
  • I truly struggle with accepting some Christians and I have caught myself being judgmental towards their religion and towards their hatred and I usually feel quite awful afterwards.
    This is a normal and understandable struggle! The easy way out it to not take it personally.

Their hatred is an affliction to their own mind. You've noticed how awful you feel after being judgmental, they also feel pain as a response to hatred and ignorance. You are in the lucky position of silencing your own painful reaction and looking for something different. They are trapped like slaves, because to them a higher power demands their hatred, justifies it.
    That is soooo true. Thanks guys for the kind comments once again.
  • In many cases, with religion, people don't question what they are taught. It's in the holy text, the leader says it's so, so it's so. A lot of the judgment you feel you receive from these people stems from their ignorance of anything other than what they've been taught.

On the other hand, you are asking questions and you are determining things for yourself. There is less ignorance in that. Be a living example by not judging them too harshly. You can dislike/disagree with/etc their religious teachings, but they themselves are just humans.
  • Hey, even some Buddhists can be judgemental and unaccepting. None of us is perfect. I am thankful for the diversity that life provides. When I can accept murderers, and rapists and yes, even judgemental Christians, then I begin to face my own shortcomings. I am so glad the world is made up of all of us, even those we deem as unworthy.
  • You might enjoy taking a look at the book Constantine's Sword by James Carroll. It is a scholarly and personal look at the history of Christianity which might provide some background history and help you find some peace.
  • Hey, even some Buddhists can be judgemental and unaccepting. None of us is perfect. I am thankful for the diversity that life provides. When I can accept murderers, and rapists and yes, even judgemental Christians, then I begin to face my own shortcomings. I am so glad the world is made up of all of us, even those we deem as unworthy.
    Right View.

• You might enjoy taking a look at the book Constantine's Sword by James Carroll. It is a scholarly and personal look at the history of Christianity which might provide some background history and help you find some peace.
    Thanks Aura! I will find that book and give it a good read through!! :) Thanks so much for all of your kind words and accepting comments.