Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and music?

JayjayJayjay Veteran
edited December 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hi. I'm a long time musician, way before my interest in Buddhism or meditation. I play many instruments but mainly the bass guitar and the ukulele. I also listen to a lot of music, selectively: rock N roll/ hair metal. I'm wondering if I may continue my endeavors in music (playing/listening) mindfully without polluting my mind with anger/hate/or any other negative emotion. Rock N Roll does have a very negatively orieted basis I guess but I don't seem to feel anger or hate or any other negative emotions when I listen to it. Same lies with my playing music. Please help me out and thank you all. (:

Comments

• edited December 2011
    There is a precept for monks that says monks may not listen to music; or, if you interpret it more liberally, non-religious music; but you can go even farther to say negative music in general.

That only applied to the ordained. Really, you can do whatever you want when practicing Buddhism. The only path to salvation is to look within. Do you feel if it is a negative influence on you? Really, deep down, putting away your biases and opinions and wants, do you feel as though the music affects you negatively? If not, then I would see no reason for you to discontinue listening to it. But as I have noted, it is ultimately up to you. Buddhism is about your personal journey to liberation - only you can decide how to live your life.
  • Somebody else asked this and I remembered something my lama said about this but I cannot remember.

I think you should first start a meditation practice. And second unless you take the monks precept there is no 'rule' that gets you off the hook or decides the matter for you.

As far as your own mindpeace I would liken it to eating baked cheese before meditation. Rock and roll is no worse even if its metal or ho's rap or whatever. Both the cheese and the violent lyrics disturb the mind.

As far as presenting a positive image in your music I think its important to play for adults. Granting that you have to see that music is positive and negative, I think. Angry music can help a person deal with anger as depressed music can help a person deal with sadness. It's kind of tantric in a way because the energy of the poison is used to attain wisdom.

So I would say to start a meditation practic. And don't be judgemental but just be cool about it and try your best to keep peace and love.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think @Jeffrey and @Bekenze said it well. I used to listen to hardcore metal, when I became a buddhist I saw another way to be and realized I simply wasn't that angry. As I've continued my practice I've still listened to music, but as my pracice evolved I found myself turned off or simply not interested in some music anymore. What I'm saying is, there isn't a mandatory law that says you can't listen to music so focus on your practice and what you want to listen to or feel is conducive or harmful to your happiness will come naturally.
  • Thank you @Bekenze, @Jeffrey, and @person. I do have a meditation practice and have practiced for about 3 months now. But I have only recently, maybe a couple weeks now, been turned onto Buddhism. I think some music can harbor bad feelings within the mind and disrupt its peace. I read the book "Peace Is Every Breath" by Thich Naht Hahn (btw GREAT book!) and it said that listening to the same song over and over or listening to a succession of songs that deal with an emotion you are facing such as sadness or anger can be counterproductive. He basically said that instead of sitting and sulking over a feeling you should be mindful and realize your state so you may return to true peace. So I think I'll cut down on the "sad songs" and listening to things over and over especially if they affect my mood. Once again thanks guys! :)
This discussion has been closed.