Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Egolessness

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I put this in beginners forum because I wondered about ego when I came to buddhism. You hear it all over and here is the vibe of some dharma teachers talking about it:

(from a friend's facebook post)
Egolessness

* "Years back, many Buddhist teachers in the West began using the term 'egolessness' to explain the Buddha’s teaching on not‐self. Since then, egolessness has come to mean many things to many people.

"Sometimes egolessness is used to mean a lack of conceit or self‐importance; sometimes, a pure mode of acting without thought of personal reward. In its most extended form, though, the teaching on egolessness posits a fundamental error of perception: that despite our sense of a lasting, separate self, no such self really exists.

"By trying to provide for the happiness of this illusory self, we not only place our hopes on an impossible goal but also harm ourselves and everyone around us. If we could only see the fallacy of the ego and understand its harmful effects, we would let it go and find true happiness in the interconnectedness that is our true nature."

-- "The Problem of Egolessness," by Thanissaro Bikkhu

* "There are two stages in understanding egolessness. In the first stage we perceive that the ego does not exist as a solid entity, that it is impermanent, constantly changing, that it was our concepts that made it seem solid. So we conclude that ego does not exist. But we still have formulated a subtle concept of egolessness. There is still a watcher of the egolessness, a watcher to identify with it and maintain his existence.

"The second stage is seeing through this subtle concept and dropping the watcher.

"So true egolessness is the absence of the concept of egolessness. In the first stage there is a sense of someone perceiving egolessness. In the second, even the perceiver does not exist."

"Egolessness" from "The Myth of Freedom," by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

* So ego, then, is the absence of true knowledge of who we really are, together with its result: a doomed clutching on, at all costs, to a cobbled together and makeshift image of our selves, a inevitably chameleon charlatan self that keeps changing and has to, to keep alive the fiction of its existence."

"The Wisdom of Egolessness" from "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying," by Sogyal Rinpoche.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Interesting you quote Thanissaro Bikkhu.
    I have this by him, I don't remember where I got it, but @Jason may be able to shed some light on it....

It's quite long, so make yourself a nice drink, draw up the cat, put your feet on the radiator and read on.....
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @Federica, I downloaded it and it said it was installing a software on my computer. When I click on the recent download a program Doxilon Document Converter pops up but it does not have any files in it to click on. I had assumed the document you posted would be inside. I don't see a document in my downloads. Win 7 firefox.

I think it might be the problem that I don't have open office installed yet. If I get OO installed I may be able to 'open' your document whereas previously I was 'saving' the document.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2012
    I have this by him, I don't remember where I got it, but @Jason may be able to shed some light on it....

It's quite long, so make yourself a nice drink, draw up the cat, put your feet on the radiator and read on.....
    Not sure which is it, but I'd guess either from here or here.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Thanks @Jason. It was the latter.....

@Jeffrey, I clicked on the file i downloaded, and managed to open it, so I hate to say it, but I think the issue must be at your end.
    I hope you can open the links in Jason's post.... As I mentioned, the second link is the direct document I downloaded onto my system....
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Egolessness. The word itself does not sound like it means "having no ego". It sounds like it means "showing less ego". The same would be for "thoughtlessness". The word can be taken out of context, but it does seem more sensible as meaning "showing or having less thoughts".
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @Jeffrey - IMHO excellent post...

(I'm going off memory here - cant remember where I read this) I am reminded of an exchange between a physics professor and a hindu (maybe not?) student on the nature of the universe - the student says that the world is on the back of an elephant who in turn stands on a turtle - the physics professor asks "so what is the turtle standing on?" and the student replies "Ah! you cant fool me! Its turtle all the way down!"

In a way, I was driving at this issue (but from a different angle on Buddhist teachings rather than ego) with my post on Buddhism - the ultimate half-way house... as all are interconnected then the illusion principle carries through... I have found this concept can alarm people unless they realise it themselves naturally...

These days I have to be mindful to speak in a 'normal' human manner - what is there to say when there is no-one to say it?
  • auraaura Veteran
    How genuinely nice it is to see a contemplative discourse by Thanissaro Bhikkhu presented to inspire discussion on the board
    rather than thoughts of self and ego
    presented for discussion on the board.
    I like Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
    Thank you!