Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Getting Ready for my Half-Day Retreat at my Zen Temple in Sunnyvale, CA!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited January 2012 in Sanghas
I will definitely keep you guys posted, this will be my first time doing a half-day retreat. It has mostly been 1-hour meditation sessions on weekly bases, usually on Wednesdays. I was also wondering if anyone has ever done any half-day retreats if so, what are their suggestions/concerns and such, if not, why and would you inclined to try it out? The first sessions begins on Sunday at 9AM.

The half-day retreat is 4 hours of sitting and one hour of walking. I also believe they sprinkle a few min of a break in between sessions. You are usually sitting for 1 hour at a time and then you get a 5 min break and then you sit again. This continues for 4 sessions and then the fifth being an hour walk either around the temple or in the Temples Meditation Hall.

Thanks,
Leon

Comments

• Sounds like fun. I hope you enjoy!
  • That is one hell of a meditation workout, well for me it would be a triathlon for me. Good luck and have fun with it :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Sounds like fun. I hope you enjoy!
    Thank you!:)
    That is one hell of a meditation workout, well for me it would be a triathlon for me. Good luck and have fun with it :)
    I been practicing at home, but they have only been 1 hour sessions. This should push my boundaries hopefully in a good way!:)
  • Leonid - what is the name of the temple where you will retreat?
    Leonid - what is the name of the temple where you will retreat?
    http://ctzen.org/sunnyvale/enUS/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
  • Thats awesome. Basically, one hour every wednesday is not going to have much performance. that half day meditation is great. probably u need a focus point while meditating so that every hour would get the wandering minds flowing lesser and lesser. Couple with walking meditation is good as the body need to move for most practitioners. And buddhism is non dualism that bridge movement and stationary together, in a wholesome middle way as that of buddha, who walk around india with joys and peace. :D
  • @leonbasin Well? How was it?
    Thats awesome. Basically, one hour every wednesday is not going to have much performance. that half day meditation is great. probably u need a focus point while meditating so that every hour would get the wandering minds flowing lesser and lesser. Couple with walking meditation is good as the body need to move for most practitioners. And buddhism is non dualism that bridge movement and stationary together, in a wholesome middle way as that of buddha, who walk around india with joys and peace. :D
    @leonbasin Well? How was it?
    Hard as heck! Lol! Good! It's good to change things up and do a longer sitting session. Do I recommend it? Depends on the individual.