Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Obvious Injustice To My Dear Friend

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
Due to very tight laws regarding free speech in my country and a high sense of civic-mindedness by my school authorities (anyone who is doubted can find himself school-less in a matter of weeks) I can only give a slight satire/parallel story about what was this injustice... (No words here are exactly what was spoken!!! So it will be my fault and only mine if anything here is liable to be labelled as evidence in any defamation suit!!!)

Take this young gentleman, forced against his own will by an unfair democractic vote against his favour in a state-controlled economy, to join a company as a Manager.

Take this Director sitting in his armchair one day when he delegates a task to one of his people, this Manager to handle. The task is to make the workplace a nicer place to be in via use of proper decorations. The Director would be leaving his work for a few days for a business trip, and he expects the job to be done when he returns.

And so the Manager accepts the job. He doesn't grumble. He thinks, heck, I never meant to be a Manager, but since I am here already, my sense of responsibility tells me I have to do this shit job well.

So the Manager rallys his men... And tells them, hey, this is my plan, blah blah blah... After days of patient sweet-talk and fierce yells at them the men still are not doing anything, because the Manager actually has no exact power over them... If he tells his boss, it's no use because the boss would properly shoot the messener, that's him. So dammit, he thinks, let's wait till the boss enters the office tomorrow.

And so this Director steps into the office the next day and the first reaction is just to scream at the Manager. The Manager tries politely to explain about the department's obvious reluctance to help. The Director doesn't care - no excuses, he wants everything done by the end of the day, even if it includes unpaid OT. He screams at the Manager again and leaves with a really bad impression of him.

So the Manager decides. This is crap. No one is doing a single dammed job. So he decides to do everything by himself and does a decent job of decorating the whole office. He worked alone, seen by not the Director at all.

The next day, the Director checks the office and says, fine, you passed, just barely.

And so time passes by...

(Another scene in the Director's officer, with two young, hardworking executives, a chic and a hunk.)

Hunky Executive: So for the company's annual fair, I think that actually Plan A is better, because well, it has been tested last year... Plan B's a new plan relatively speaking, and we don't know if it will succeed...

(Director picks up the proposal, and sees the Manager's name on where the name of the Project In-Charge is supposed to be.)

Director: Heck! You guys sure you wanna put this fellow as In-Charge? The last time I placed him in-charge of the dammed decoration, he'd almost screwed up!

Chic Executive: Actually, Director, you'd bother to realize that in fact, in the end, it was him who was doing all the work no one in the company wanted to do? He alone ran the whole show in desperation... he didn't want that job even!

Director: I know, but even so, he left it all to the last minute. I'm not saying that it's his fault, because I know for a fact that he didn't want that job in the first place, but yesterday, when I had a staff interview with him, I realized that actually his attitude really is a big factor.

Hunk Executive: Director, I know this fellow personally. As a friend, I can say that actually, he can do his stuff well, that's provided he's committed to it. The decoration thing was never something he liked. But he'd volunteered for this annual fair himself, and he was what brought the fair to success last year when he was holding a non-managerial position.

Director: If it is so, if this is what he wants, so be it. I'm OK with anything. BUT the fact is that to me he's very invisible. Now I'm not saying that he does nothing butto me he;s invisible. I don't see him work!

Chic Executive: But Director, this guy has a great character. He does work without complaining at all! He's very humble. He'd do crap for the company without complaining even. It's just that he doesn't run up to you everytime to tell you hey, boss I've done this this this...

Director: I know, but it's just that to me he's just very invisible. (Changes topic) Actually I think you both Executives have great potential, but why don't you all step up in usual company affairs to show your capability?

Hunk Executive: Like him, I too am capable only when I'm committed.

Director: But to me he's invisible. Just that if he was the one who made the fair a success last year, so be it. But the thing is that he's just very invisible..................................................................................................................BLAH BLAH BLAH.........................

Hunk Executive: Thank you, Director. (And with that the two Executives walk out of the room.)

END OF PART 1 (IF THERE'S EVER A PART II)

From when onwards has there been a wrong in being humble? Being humble = invisible? Heck, does anyone see God? Does it mean that God doesn't do work (Sorry to all the theists out there, honestly...) ?

The Director ought to be fired! Views on this interesting story?

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    There are many responses I could come up with for this one ajani.

This situation has happened to me, so this would be my advice from experience.

I was just starting to work for a Huge Multinational company, I was told to assist with the installation of a machine around 3 miliion dollars worth. The company's "Expert" was in charge. part of the system uses a specific sized set of American screws (using inches and fractions of an inch) this part of the system was imported from Japan (metric sized screws), I was asked-no Told, to get some 200 6 millimetre screws to hold this important part of the system together. Now behind the scenes, the "expert" had been informing my boss, his boss, everyone around the place that I was incompetent, useless, no good, of doubtful parentage etc. etc. behind my back (I was kind of aware of this).

Now I was sent down the road to get a pack of 5/16th panhead screws for this metric unit-the screws HAD to be metric-but this guy even after I questioned him (how dare I question him-obviously I have an attitude problem) looked at me with disdain and said "Just get me the F*****g screws NOW!" okay. now here's the dilemma,

Do I get the screws because he told me to?
    Do I get the correct metric screws and shutup hoping he doesn't go-off at me for ignoring his incorrect instructions? or what?

Not wanting to cause waves (I just started literally a week previously) I purchased the american screws and waited for the hellfire.

I came back, he said Good, now start screwing the unit together. 5/16ths is close but not the same as the metric "equivalent", so of course the screws siezed into the aluminium framework! the framework used nutserts-these were torn out by overtightening as per his instruction. only two or three of them-i didn't want to ruin the whole unit.

I then asked the "expert" what he wished me to do with the unit in this state? he rolled his eyes and tells his workmate a similar "untouchable-expert" look at what this F*****g idiot did!

it took me 6 years of sh** to finally get someone to realise that it was his "creation" of this problem rather than mine.

So my advice to your "friend" is don't expect thissituation to be remedied instantly, it is however, impermanent-things will turn around, and even if this battle is never won-who wants to work for a prick like that anyway?

It may even be time to move on-I stuck at that job for way too long it ruined my health, nearly my marriage(fue to long hours-and overcommitment to the job) and nearly ruined my life as well-this sh**fight is not worth the hassle if stress becomes the job-Trust me if the job controls you-it's not the job for you.

Hope this helps-it may be abit disjointed-PM me if you want further help.

kind regards,
    Xrayman
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Well honestly I'm not hiding anything... I assume the role of the Hunk Executive. :rockon:

Well actually all the Manager needs to do is just spend another few more months then he will get released from his crap. But then, this sadistic Director seems so determined to crap this Manager in that he might just report to the State that this Manager is how so and so and cause him to become an enemy of the State even.