Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Visit to the new temple

edited May 2005 in Sanghas
Hi All!

I just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the comforting and encouraging words shared with me regarding my dad's death. I know that he lives on but I guess I am being selfish in still wishing he were still here in the physical realm with me. I will be fine.

Anyway, Federica had asked me to post about my visit to the new temple I found here in Indiana. It did not happen because there evidently was a funeral that the person I had been in contact with had to attend in Chicago. Maybe one day I can visit. We shall see...

Adiana :confused::)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Don't let that little hitch put you off; I hope you can get a visit in real soon....

in wishing your dad were still around, then join the "selfish" rest of us - ! Loving someone is an energetic process, so when they 'leave' all that Love has got to go somewhere! No wonder you wish he was still here! Love with all your heart as if he was still here (remember what Brian said) but re-direct that love too - without it diminishing - in a way you believe he would have wanted..... :)
  • edited May 2005
    Fed,

I finally got to go to the SGI community center. This was yesterday afternoon after I got back from Beltaine. It was really nice, too. I also met some SGI members that are living in Anderson where I am. Betty Klein, the lady that sponsored me, introduced my daughter and me. I was really surprised that there were that many SGI members living in Anderson. WOW! There are around 50 people living here in Anderson and I met a lot of them at the big meeting in Indianapolis. It was the monthly world peace prayer meeting, and this meeting was held at the SGI community center in Indianapolis, Indiana. I thought that it was a temple but it is a community center. It is a really nice one, too. I also applied to receive my Gohonzon and I will receive it Wednesday at the local Anderson meeting. It will be enshrined at my house the same night. I was so touched at the compassion and generosity these people have shown me! Since I am a new member of the Anderson district group, I was told that my Gohonzon will be enshrined in a Butsudan at my home. I also was told that I would be receiving my own bell as well as a Family Altar. I started to cry since I am not used to people being so generous without expecting something in return---they even gave my daughter and me each a set of prayer beads with the matching case, a copy of the Complete Works of Nichiren Daishonin, the Lotus Sutra, and a child's book about Buddhism for my daughter. These meetings are held every Wednesday at 7:30 pm and they are very informative. We also get together for practicing Gongyo and chanting. Once a month on Sundays at 11 am, that is when the district (Anderson) meeting is held. Since we don't have a community center here, we meet in each other's homes. I look forward to attending my first Anderson meeting. The SGI community center in Indianapolis is the only one in Indiana. It is where all the Indiana SGI members gather for the monthly state meeting. So, I have had quite an interesting week-end!

Adiana :lol::lol::lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Sounds like you had a wonderful time there, Adiana! Bet you're glad you went! Isn't it amazing how nice some people can be? With all the bad things going on around us world-wide, it's comforting to know that it doesn't stop some folks from doing good. :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Sounds like your first temple experience was as positive as mine. It's always sort of shocking to find out how generous and accepting the buddhist community is! :D
  • edited May 2005
    Brian and Fed,

Yeah, you are both right. I was so touched by the generosity that I started to cry because of pent up emotions I had been stuffing about my dad plus I am so cynical when someone wants to do something nice that I am having to get used to it. LOL! :):o:lol: It is just not normal to me for anyone to do nice things without strings attached. I will get better.

Adiana :lol::lol:
    edited May 2005
    ....."Strings attached"....? Now Adiana, you should know Buddhists don't HAVE any attachments..... ;):lol:
  • edited May 2005
    federica wrote:
    ....."Strings attached"....? Now Adiana, you should know Buddhists don't HAVE any attachments..... ;):lol:

Fed,

LOL!

Adiana :lol::lol::lol:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Today was my second time visiting Wat Buddhanusorn. I celebrated Vesak there and I really enjoyed it. I met my first bhikkhuni also. I'm glad that women are ordaining more and getting the chance to live the monastic life. To Brian: The abbot there said he knew of Buddha Vihara and recently saw Ajahn Cheun in Thailand. They both returned to the U.S. today for Vesak. I hope eveyone has enjoyed the full moon day of May.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Hi Jay :)

Yeah, I was talking to some of the people at Pi's yesterday and they mentioned that he went to Thailand for a mere three days. I think he got in late last night.

Happy Vesak :)