Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Design

edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I bought this hat from Nepal and am wondering if anyone can tell me about the meaning/significance of the design.
Thanks.

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Perhaps there is no "Buddhist" significance at all? Perhaps it's simply a repetitive design for aesthetics?

Appears to me to be (ocean) waves.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    have a look at @Mountains' avatar......
  • It looks Peruvian.
  • Thanks, Fed. I knew I had seen the pattern somewhere before. Now just to find out what it signifies. I can guess (Yin Yang) but hoped someone could tell me specifically.
  • I don't remember the specifics but I read a story somewhere. A monk had a dream with the waves in it and he was inspired to create the blue and yellow flag that is Mountains avatar. I'll try to find the actual story.
  • The 16th Gyalwa Karmapa, well known for his visions and prophesies, designed this flag from a vision that came to him in a dream. He called it “Namkhyen Gyaldar (Victorious Flag of Buddha’s Wisdom).” He proclaimed, “Wherever this banner is flown the Dharma will flourish.”

According to the outer meaning the blue represents the sky or heaven. The yellow symbolizes the earth. The wave symbolizes the Buddhadharma penetrating heaven and earth.

According to the inner meaning the blue represents vision and spiritual insight and the yellow symbolizes our experience of the everyday world. The symmetry of the wave pattern shows the interdependence of the absolute and relative levels of reality.

According to the secret meaning, the blue symbolizes emptiness-wisdom and the yellow represents compassionate action. The wave is Mahamudra: the union of compassion and wisdom- the ultimate realization of one’s true nature.

http://viewonbuddhism.org/symbols_tibet_buddhism.htm
  • Nice hat, it would suit you well in Nepal, mainly due to the climate. Did you actually visit and purchase it, or is it an internet dealio?
  • Thanks, roo! Hat was purchased in Northern MN. Hats and mittens were handmade by women in Nepal and a portion of the sale went to support their cause (forgot what it was).
  • Is it knitted or crochet.?
  • You're asking me? :)
    I'm guessing knitted.
  • I make hats like that for charity