Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suffering

weightedweighted Veteran
edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I was drawn to Buddhism through immense suffering. I wonder if it would be too grandiose a statement to say that perhaps many others here found this path through similar painful experiences in their lives.

How do we balance suffering with the joy of being alive?
Is this something that simply breaks its way out from the dichotomy of pain/pleasure when we begin to meditate and practice metta?
Is this something we have to continually cultivate?

In your own practices and daily lives, how do you deal with continually painful experiences?

The way I see it, trying to cultivate an attitude of being nonjudgmental and lovingkindness can help, but it doesn't dull the pain or the suffering. Do we just - as Pema Chodron says in Taking the Leap - lean into the pain and become very intimate with it, feel its edges, get to know how our bodies and our minds relate to this specific pain so that we can learn from it?

Or should we be less receptive to pain than Chodron claims, seeing as inviting pain in and embracing it might unwittingly break the first precept - as it causes pain to ourselves?

Any thoughts on how to reconcile pain and suffering with a growing and still fairly new practice are most welcome.

Comments

• ignorance/misperception is the cause of suffering, which conditions negative actions of body, speech, mind, which condition more ignorance.

wisdom is the cause of the lack of suffering, which in turn conditions positive actions of body, speech, mind, which condition more wisdom.

wisdom begins with seeing our ignorance, misperception, assumptions and how these things condition our actions, which in turn leads to suffering.

then with wisdom we realize what we must learn and do.

so as you can see there are many ways one can approach this. but truly the only way to eliminate suffering is by understanding the root causes, which is ignorance/misperception.

compassion, metta, joy, etc all are conditional factors for one's own clear vision to ripen and one's own clear vision also is the conditional factors for all the positive qualities in life.

thankfully suffering has a cause.
  • @taiyaki It can often be difficult, at least for me, to get to the root of suffering. I find myself trying to understand the pain and be alright with it, let it go; but then life throws more suffering my way.

I know that wisdom and metta are bound up in suffering, in fathoming it to its fullest extent. I suppose I wonder, as a beginning practitioner, that, if there is no way to stop suffering and our exposure to it, is it solely about reconditioning our relationship to suffering that allows us to remain poised and calm when dealing with it?
  • in a way suffering comes and goes as it pleases based on causes/conditions.

everything is like this. thoughts, feelings, smells, sights, sounds, tastes. all the realms of experiences are coming and going as they please.

you do not control any of these, though through misperception thinking believes itself to be the cause and maker of all these experiences.

wisdom is what allows the solidity of each experience to break down.

in actuality everything is by its nature liberated. the sound comes and then goes. with or without our help. the suffering comes and goes without our help. it is all impersonal processes coming and going.

it is seeing with the clear vision of wisdom and through the confidence in the dharma that we end suffering. or rather we see suffering for what it is. it is vividly appearing, yet completely devoid of inherent existence. not only that suffering only occurs when we consider what is happening as my, me, i, mine. which are assertion of the thinking mind.

so lets say there is a sharp pain in my leg because i scrapped it.

where is this pain? when we look for it, we cannot find it other than asserting a reference point. pain is vividly appearing, yet we cannot grasp onto it, nor locate it.

not only that when we start to build concentration we start to see how pain is points of various sensations coming together and on the basis of such sensations we project pain.

not only that we start to see how we project i like this, i don't like this, and then start to create narratives about the pain, etc which result in massive amount of suffering for self.

but with wisdom we can see. oh just sensation. nothing to do but just let to be. send love or warmth to it.

no suffering is necessary.

this is my personal experience, so it might not be clear what i am trying to convey.

the underlying assumption of inherency, subject/object duality, and not understand dependent origination truly condition ignorance, which in turn creates the whole wheel of suffering called samsara.

with even a little understanding/realization of wisdom, one can significantly lower suffering and lead a happier life.
  • All is clouds. suffering is but a moment in time. We need not cling its ok to let go.
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited January 2012
    My personal experience is that suffering exists in our world
    in order to give us the opportunity to learn and to practice compassion
    for ourselves and for all sentient beings,
    and at the point that everyone has learned this lesson,
    suffering, the harsh teacher, will no longer exist in our world.

In the meantime,
    when confronted with suffering, the questions are always 3:
    1. am I clinging to what I most need to release, thereby intensifying and prolonging this suffering? (all too often!)
    2. what can I learn from this experience to benefit my growth, awareness, and ability to learn and to practice compassion for self and all sentient beings?
    3. what can I exemplify throughout this experience to benefit the growth and awareness of all other sentient beings, and to improve their ability to learn and to practice compassion for themselves and all other sentient beings?
  • In the meantime,
    when confronted with suffering, the questions are always 3:
    1. am I clinging to what I most need to release, thereby intensifying and prolonging this suffering? (all too often!)
    2. what can I learn from this experience to benefit my growth, awareness, and ability to learn and to practice compassion for self and all sentient beings?
    3. what can I exemplify throughout this experience to benefit the growth and awareness of all other sentient beings, and to improve their ability to learn and to practice compassion for themselves and all other sentient beings?
    These are really wonderful questions/reminders, @aura. Thanks for this.
  • ALL suffering is mis-perception.

Much perception is mis-perception.

It results from running all experience through a filter of I, me, mine. Judgement and attachment follow. Stories and suffering.

Remove the filtering activity, then separation is seen for what it really is, an illusion of the mind created by self centered grasping.

The Buddha's teachings provide a guide to a practice that leads to this realization. Call it freedom, liberation, awakening, or even enlightenment.

When you no longer continue to feed the belief that you (or anything else) exists as a separate permanent thing, compassion peace and understanding naturally arise. Things simply are the way they are in the present moment. End of stories.

Best Wishes
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I was drawn to Buddhism through immense suffering. I wonder if it would be too grandiose a statement to say that perhaps many others here found this path through similar painful experiences in their lives.
    No it wouldn't because even the Buddha himself said this. :)
    Is this something that simply breaks its way out from the dichotomy of pain/pleasure when we begin to meditate and practice metta?
    Is this something we have to continually cultivate?
    Yes and yes, IMO. :)

• Surface your deep metta within, and conduct it with others pleasantly. See that others are yourself and rest on peacing love :D
  • Since we know that we suffer because of our perception, we should try to find out what that actually is. It is our attachment to our being that causes us to perceive our situation as suffering. When our attachment is so strong, we only see our suffering and ourselves. We do not see it any other way. When we suffer, rarely do we take the time to use discernment and see that perhaps its not just us that is suffering, but perhaps we are just experiencing a higher truth that we are not aware yet.

When we are experiencing suffering, wouldn't this be an opportunity to put the Four Noble Truths to the test? Couldn't this be a chance to see if our attachment and cravings are the cause of our suffering? If we find that if it is our suffering then we can move on to the next
    noble truth. We can try to find out what happens when we let go of our attachments and cravings.
  • edited January 2012
    How do we balance suffering with the joy of being alive?

I think through meditation we become increasingly open to both joy and suffering, both for ourselves and others. Paradoxically the more metta we do the more sensitive we can be to suffering.

Spiny
  • ALL suffering is mis-perception.
    I think you could say that suffering is caused by misperception ( ignorance ).
  • On a recent documentary, a commentator said that 'suffering' in context of the teachings was more akin to 'dissatisfaction' or 'unrest' rather than physical or emotional suffering from sources outside the mind (i.e. physical pain or death of a loved one).

Has the definition of 'suffering' been over-extended due to a semantics?
  • from the Mahayana point of view:
    there is no difference between internal/external mind.
    anything perceived is mind, thus suffering in all forms is just suffering.
  • On a recent documentary, a commentator said that 'suffering' in context of the teachings was more akin to 'dissatisfaction' or 'unrest' rather than physical or emotional suffering from sources outside the mind (i.e. physical pain or death of a loved one).

Has the definition of 'suffering' been over-extended due to a semantics?
    Traditionally "dukkha" has a very wide meaning, see for example the extract below from Samyutta Nikaya 56.11. Attempting to translate dukkha with a single word like "suffering" or "dissatisfaction" is probably unwise.

"Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, death is dukkha; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair are dukkha; association with the unbeloved is dukkha; separation from the loved is dukkha; not getting what is wanted is dukkha. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are dukkha."

• The way I see it, trying to cultivate an attitude of being nonjudgmental and lovingkindness can help, but it doesn't dull the pain or the suffering. Do we just - as Pema Chodron says in Taking the Leap - lean into the pain and become very intimate with it, feel its edges, get to know how our bodies and our minds relate to this specific pain so that we can learn from it?

Or should we be less receptive to pain than Chodron claims, seeing as inviting pain in and embracing it might unwittingly break the first precept - as it causes pain to ourselves?
    I think there's a difference between allowing ourselves to truly feel what we are feeling, even when that includes pain, and leading ourselves into new pain.
    Any thoughts on how to reconcile pain and suffering with a growing and still fairly new practice are most welcome.
    Weighted, I hope you will forgive me for saying, I do not think you have a strong mind of compassion at this time. I wonder if you would consider that.

Conrad.
  • @conradcook "Weighted, I hope you will forgive me for saying, I do not think you have a strong mind of compassion at this time."

Why is that? Because if one is suffering one can't also be compassionate? I would argue that the more one suffers, the more compassion one builds. But we can always agree to disagree. :)
  • @taiyaki It can often be difficult, at least for me, to get to the root of suffering. I find myself trying to understand the pain and be alright with it, let it go; but then life throws more suffering my way.

I know that wisdom and metta are bound up in suffering, in fathoming it to its fullest extent. I suppose I wonder, as a beginning practitioner, that, if there is no way to stop suffering and our exposure to it, is it solely about reconditioning our relationship to suffering that allows us to remain poised and calm when dealing with it?
    Catching the sinking thinking. When we see that it is wound up in thoughts we have and that the thoughts are not 'us'. That helps. And then opening. Sometimes deep breaths and letting go. That can be what happens during opening. Stillness.
  • As human beings we all have experienced, and will experience various levels of pain and suffering, both physical and mental. This is the fact of existence as an animal with a nervous system on this earth. Surely medical and psychological science has done much to help alleviate some of our pain and suffering but there remains this state at times, unavoidable and unrelenting. Many of the great wisdom and religious traditions have tried to provide answers as to why we suffer and how we can overcome it.
    Who is it that suffers? And what remains through all the pain, through all the anguish, through all the hurt? You must look deeply at this right now, in this moment. Who suffers? The body, the brain, the mind suffers. But what remains untouched through every negative wave of pain, sorrow and suffering? What is it that is always there throughout? What never suffers, what never knows pain? Is there something here? Is there something very subtle, very quiet beneath everything else? Is there something which is there through the moments of bliss and the moments of suffering? Is there something that never fades away?
    There is a tremendous opportunity here if we can look through the suffering, not evade it, not suppress it, not pretend it does not exist. Through all of it, you are there, shining, grace-filled, the silence itself. All the pain, suffering and hurt can not touch that.
    So when in pain, see what is there at the core, before, during and after all suffering. If you can see that for one second, pain and hurt have no rule over you at all. Bodies are born, live, break down and die. But there is unborn, unoriginated, uncreated, the Deathless.

Māra's question:
    “By whom has this being been created?
    Where is the maker of the being?
    Where has the being arisen?
    Where does the being cease?”

Ven. Vajirā's reply:
    “Why now do you assume 'a being'?
    Māra, is that your speculative view?
    This is a heap of sheer formations:
    Here no being is found.

“Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
    The word 'chariot' is used,
    So, when the aggregates exist,
    There is the convention 'a being.'

“It's only suffering that comes to be,
    Suffering that stands and falls away.
    Nothing but suffering comes to be,
    Nothing but suffering ceases.”
  • Why is that? Because if one is suffering one can't also be compassionate? I would argue that the more one suffers, the more compassion one builds. But we can always agree to disagree. :)
    I mean that you lack compassion for yourself.

I may be wrong. But that's what my intuition says here.

Conrad.
  • undeerstanding pain and suffering on a personal level makes us understand vwery personally someones suffering. But I don't think it makes us compleatly berifted of understanding another.