Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In all likelihood....

ZeroZero Veteran
edited January 2012 in Philosophy
Inserting ‘in all likelihood’ preceding a 'yes or 'no' answer, I find, limits and controls controversy – I have found that this can serve to remove fuel from an argument, to make propositions more palatable and even to curb boisterous energy that can distract from the subtlety of the moment by moment experience.

For example: When I am requested to rest on one side or another, I aim to respond as succinctly and completely as possible with my opinion, when I am required to comment on others' opinion, I am able to circumnavigate controversy by tempering a strictly digital response (which attracts its equal and opposite) by taking out opposition and making the response fuzzy, all that is left is the stark controversy of the initial request for the questioner to explore.

Saying ‘probably’ doesn’t work however – I have tried and it just leads to more controversy as I suppose it sounds indecisive.

Do others have such working mechanisms in place?

Comments

• Always come in naked, makes for much interesting surprises.

Best place to be in is the opened relaxed pov. On one level these are just symbols and sounds and beautiful works of art coming together to be projected as language. On another someone is trying to convey something.

So there is alwas an element of truth even in the apparent wrongness. Thus smile and nod. When conditions are right, spontaneous action will occur.

Not sure if this relates to your topic. Too early.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I think it does - 'smile and nod' is what I took from it... I'm looking to explore how members apply their theory on a day to day to see if there are common themes that will assist us moment by moment...
  • hold out your hand.

there are two ways to live in this world:

clench your hand as hard as you can. that is samsara.
    open your hand and relax. that is nirvana.

buddhism's function and purpose is to make you happy.
  • I think seeing how everything is a complete projection coming from us really helps in dealing with life as a whole.

Starting to see entities as processes, really loosens the mind.

Starting to not take everything so personally, but start to see the larger picture and the web of causality that is build around self/other.

Just relaxing and staying happy regardless of circumstance.

It is meditation practice, along with correct view which gives stability in resting in open awareness.

• In all likelihood life is not a projection but life arising co-dependently. :)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I like to use I think, I feel or in my opinion.

The opposite of that is to start a proposition with obviously, of course, or Obama's favorite 'look'. Starting a sentence with these says that you have the truth and you're explaining it to the rest.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    In all likelihood life is not a projection but life arising co-dependently. :)
    that works great...! It doesnt invite challenge but rather further dialogue... :)

If I asked people to send tips on how they meditate I suspect that there would be many suggestions such as sit in a quiet room, make time, sit on a comfy seat, close your eyes etc...

What I am seeking to drive from this discussion are personal tips on meditation and joyful participation with life AFTER we stand up from formal meditation (i.e. to explore how practice bleeds into life and after how practice becomes life)... I suspect that people have little things they do every day that may inspire others to extend their period of meditation...

For example - if I dont agree with something I tend to smile or laugh rather than expressly push my disagreement - those who wish to dialogue will explore ideas in a non-dualistic fashion... those who do not and instead seek support for an entrenched position meet the stone wall of my joy! Saves us all an unnecessary argument!
  • I don't know absolutely......

Personally, I like the @tayakai suggestion to "always come in naked..."

Such crazy wisdom resonates with me when discussing the ultimate absurdity of argument - discord - right and wrong.....crowing like a rooster or barking like a dog come to mind....

Disarming the tension of contention with the inane doesn't always work as planned though - it can heighten tension too....

I don't know....

Waka - waka!
  • @zero, another one I like is "sometimes"
  • @zero, avoiding conflicts can help to stay fresh.

and this is what rituals are for. you can read some scripture for refuge, dedication, and arousing bodhicitta. You can bow or do prostrations. You can do some metta practice for loved ones all the way to enemies. Then expand it to your city. Then to your nation. Then to the whole world. Out into space.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I like all suggested thus far - wonderful sharing with you...

How about if we expand it beyond just avoiding conflict and to every day to day tasks of living...

Like I'm into Marley and spiritual raggae generally - I find the ditties are short, repetitive and resonate with wisdom... throughout the day I will have one tune or other running through my mind and I'll be humming or mouthing the words along (sometimes out and out singing) - it allows the moment to flow naturally free of self intervention...

@Jeffrey - agreed on rituals - I guess you hit the nail on the head - what rituals have people invented for themselves in order to widen their practice to every waking moment - I love bowing and prostrations however not overly practical if you work all day in a suit say...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    YMMV....."Your Mileage May Vary"....

In other words,

"You might have had a different experience, which may put a contrasting but equally valid angle forward.
    I would never assert my comments are written in stone, and accept that others may see matters differently - which is really ok, isn't it?"

'YMMV' is shorter, and more to the point.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Love that @federica (I'm seeing a corresponding YMCA-esque dance!) - my corresponding for that is "Some like it hot!" with a silent (and some like it juicy!!)
  • In all likelihood the following acronym is the most useful: lol
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    skillful @iktomi... LOL indeed :D
  • I've had good luck with prefacing potentially sticky situations with, "this is an observation, not a judgment". Both professionally and personally.
  • Also, am on a mission to remove "but" from my conversations. It tends to erase the positive part of reality. For example, "You've always been a great employee, but lately you've..." Using "and" instead of "but" seems to work better.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Thats pretty clever - setting out a non-contentious expectation before you deliver your opinion... it makes whatever follows sound helpful also... I like that.

I see your point on removing 'but' - very positive... you could also just end the sentence and start a new one - that way you'd have the positive impact of the first sentence remaining stand alone and the second sentence could deal with the next step in its own moment.
  • The final period of sleep before we awake is a golden opportunity - If you have any experience of lucid dreaming, this is the period – in waking moments it is possible to cultivate your consciousness to recognise a dream state – in the golden period before you awake, it is possible to observe your subconscious at work and with practice, it is possible to eventually remove the observer position leaving only the inherent motion of your mind response and no observer.

By working on your subconscious when awake and on your conscious when asleep it is possible to cancel both out against each other leaving nothing and clarity - this timeless state is infinite and complete.
  • Well, I tried out the in-all-likelihood thing the other day and it worked like a champ. I was winning arguments left and right, no sweat. Got kinda burned-out on it though.
  • LOL - yeah, you did well mate - you deserve a break!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Well, I tried out the in-all-likelihood thing the other day and it worked like a champ. I was winning arguments left and right.....
    Hah! You wish.......!

Unlikely.....!