Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Better Place.....

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Today
Hello friends,

I have been thinking a lot lately about how I am contributing to make this world a better place. I do not feel like I am doing enough, and would love to hear ideas from everyone here about what you do to make this world a nicer, more peaceful place. Volunteer work that you do, people that you help, things you do for the environment, etc etc.

Any good ideas??

Comments

• questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hey, YM! What a lovely idea for a thread.

What I do is treat each person with whom I come into interaction respectfully. It sounds very mundane and it is. Treating everyone as I would want to be treated is no easy task--it requires constant mindfulness of myself and others as well as attention to the situation and environment within which I find myself. Of course, I'm always 'waking up' or bringing myself back to the present moment, so it's an ongoing process...

Take, for example, the simple service encounter. I don't know about where you live but people who are "checkers," people who ring me up at the register in a store, are mostly treated like automotons, human robots. I've rarely seen customers say anything more than the simplest greeting and almost never look at a checker in the eye. I feel checkers are mostly treated as the job they do, not as individuals.

I make a big effort to look them in the eye, say a greeting and try to pursue light conversation. After a moment, usually the response is grinning, ear to ear. Sometimes the response falls on jaded ears and I drop it. Whatever the reaction, I do my best to let them know that I see an individual, not a job. We are not our work!

This is just one example of seeing and honoring the individual respectfully by treating everyone with whom I come into as unique and equal.
  • edited March 2006
    Nice reply QuestZENer, I try to do similar but sometimes it's not easy.
    I used to go into London most weekends and you get quite a lot of homeless people up there. I once got into conversation with a young guy on London Bridge and he explained to me his situation and that he was desperately trying to get himself back on his feet again. He said that the worse thing, apart from having to beg, was being ignored by people. Just to be acknowledged was enough, even if he wasn't given any money. Since then I always make a point of acknowledging them when asked for money. Even if it's just a friendly "sorry, I'm afraid I haven't got any change". If I do have some change, and I can spare some of it then I'll give them some. I know there's the argument that they may use the money for drink/drugs/whatever but that's up to them.
    I must point out though that I'm not doing it to make myself feel better or anything pompous like that. I just like to think that I'd never be in that situation but you never know what's round the corner so, as you said, I try to treat people as I'd like to be treated.

Plus I make malas for all the reprobates on here !!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I have a similar response to Frizzer's. I also had been told that being invisible was the most heart breaking part of begging or being homeless. That was years ago and I changed the way I interacted with people who live on the streets. In the last city I lived in there were a lot of homeless kids and I had time on my hands. I used to go to this one coffee shop outside of which a girl would beg and I always bought her a coffee and a toasted bagel with cream cheese, poppy seed, not sesame. And we'd sit together and just watch people go by. And talk. Eventually. It took a long time before she'd even tell me what her preference was when it came to bagels because she was thinking beggars can't be choosers. I gave her all the cards and pamphlets I picked up in health clinics and other places just in case and brought her blankets because she could have gotten terrible hemorrhoids sitting on the cold pavement like that.

When I have no money or food to give I always look them straight in the eye and give them the warmest smile I can when I say "Sorry" and I try to really "see" them and make it clear that they are being seen with love and not pity. I've been poor and very close to living on the street. I've dumpster dived a few times. I know it could be me. I know that very well. So there's nothing difficult in showing my love. I'm not doing anything special. I want to love them and I desperately want to comfort them.

In Montreal when I was younger my group of friends always wanted to go downtown to one of the clubs to party on the weekends. I liked to leave them in the club and go outside and sit on the steps with the alcoholic homeless guys and share my smokes and talk. These places were constantly patrolled by police on foot and I was never in any danger. I've held a few crying homeless guys in my day. LOL! I also learned the history of Persia and a lot of physics. I've had very long conversations about English literature with ex professors and tons of socio-political debates. I even struggled with wanting to cite one of the men with whom I talked a great deal in one of my history papers but couldn't find any way to do it and he wouldn't give me his name, for obvious reasons. But I couldn't just steal his ideas and pretend that I came up with them. That was a little frustrating. I'm sure he'd been a history prof at one time.

The only homeless person I ever met that I didn't like was the one in Montreal who was begging for money from a line of people who were waiting for the bus. I was in line as well and when he came up to me I emptied all my pockets and gave him everything I had. He then looked at the pile of change in his hand and swore because there were pennies and nickels in it and he violently threw it into the street cursing. I was so mad I yelled something like "Hey! You mother#^%** How dare you, you son of a #$**&?!!" I was about to jump on him but the bus came. I fumed for hours over that one. I could still smack him today. LOL!

One young guy, younger than me, in particular comes to mind when I think back. He was bi-polar and unpredictable so I had to keep security in mind but he did everything in his power to let me know he wasn't a threat. I was very poor myself at the time and couldn't afford a winter coat so I had a whole bunch of shirts and sweaters on. He used to hang around the bus station where I caught the bus for work (I was one of the working poor) and one day when I had some money and I was off work I went to look for him at the station. There was a little coffee shop there as well and when I found him I brought him with me to the coffee shop to have breakfast. He ordered the same thing I did but apparently he couldn't eat because he ended up gently pouring his coffee onto his plate. LOL I laughed and laughed but the server looked at us like we were nuts! The next and last time I saw him he had a bag with him and he gave it to me and said "I got you a coat. I hope you like it." And it was a beautiful used but clean winter jacket and I wore it for two winters. Even though it was green. Not my colour. LOL!!

When I had more money I supported all the usual groups, Greenpeace, Amnesty, PETA etc. And I did a lot of fundraising for charities. But nothing compares to the joys of hanging out with homeless people. They were poor in material comforts but rich in life experience. They were like brown paper packages tied up with string.

Love,
    Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Nice reply QuestZENer, I try to do similar but sometimes it's not easy.
    I used to go into London most weekends and you get quite a lot of homeless people up there. I once got into conversation with a young guy on London Bridge and he explained to me his situation and that he was desperately trying to get himself back on his feet again. He said that the worse thing, apart from having to beg, was being ignored by people. Just to be acknowledged was enough, even if he wasn't given any money. Since then I always make a point of acknowledging them when asked for money. Even if it's just a friendly "sorry, I'm afraid I haven't got any change". If I do have some change, and I can spare some of it then I'll give them some. I know there's the argument that they may use the money for drink/drugs/whatever but that's up to them.
    I must point out though that I'm not doing it to make myself feel better or anything pompous like that. I just like to think that I'd never be in that situation but you never know what's round the corner so, as you said, I try to treat people as I'd like to be treated.

Plus I make malas for all the reprobates on here !!

except me.:whatever:
  • edited March 2006
    If you'd like one let me know, I can work out the shipping costs to Oz for you! :D
  • edited March 2006
    You have all shared some great ideas, and great stories! Thank you. The stories about being kind to the homeless warmed my heart. It could easily be any one of us in the situation.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    If you'd like one let me know, I can work out the shipping costs to Oz for you! :D

Thanks anyway mate, just trying to sh** stir!

I appreciate the fact that you do make malas Frizz. Much metta and good Karma to you!

regards,
    X
    :ausflag:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2006
    One thing you all forget: You all participate here and help new people (whether you know it or not - there are many, many more anonymous, non-registered viewers than there are registered regulars). Everything you type on here is a record and a lamppost to guide people to a happier existence :)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    whooops now all of a sudden I have to be responsible.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    No......
    ......Not 'all of a sudden'....
    You should have been responsible all the time... Eightfold Path, all that hooey... ya know.....? ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Brian,

Of course, I forgot about that. The help I've received here has been enormous, it really can't be overstated.

Thanks for the reminder.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    To make this world a better place, first it is important to treat ourselves and those close to us with respect. The best thing you can do is just show general compassion to those around you; be it holding a door for someone, or just saying good morining and smiling to others.

Lately, I have been helping at a local thrift store organizing clothes and such. It's not much but it saves the people that work there some extra time. Just act kind and gentle and don't act in a threatening manner. You can't go wrong.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Spot on, KoB... ;)
  • edited April 2006
    I have looked into some local programs here for volunteer work. There is a Mission close by that always needs volunteers when it is lunch or something like that. There is also a Boys and Girls club. Plenty of historical sites that want volunteers on a regular basis. There's lots out there to help out with. I'm still getting my bairings here in my new "home" of sorts.
  • edited April 2006
    I just signed me, my daughter and my husband up to help with the local Down's Syndrome Guild in our area. We are going to begin volunteer work with them as soon as they need us. I am very anxious to start and to try and make a difference in these people's lives, including making the lives of the parents who have children with Down Syndrome a little bit easier.
  • edited April 2006
    I agree with K of B. I too make a point of being kind to everyone I encounter.
    While checking out at a store, for example, I used to be in 'my own world' and not pay attention to the employee. The past few months I have made a point of befriending them...especially if they just had an ornery customer before me...the difference in me and them is incredible. It is such a joy to put a smile on a stranger's face.

The other thing I try to do is instill these qualities in my students: writing thank you notes to our cleaning staff, teaching them to say hello to people they see on school grounds...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Sharpiegirl,

That's beautiful.

Brigid