Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

my kids decided to be vegie again

AMHAMH
edited February 2012 in Diet & Habits
so both kids who live with me decided to be vegetarian again. I am readjusting. There are some meals that have become staples that i cannot make. Honestly in the winter I like a beef stew on a cold day. but I was vegie 16 years so I should remember this. Plus my cholesteral creeped up. So far the meals are
* stir fry with tofu
* bean burritoes
* spaghetti
* black bean enchiladas
* indian food feast, dal, vegie dishes and rice
* lentil soup (replaces that beef stew nicely)
* maybe garbanzo or lentil barley stew? they liked that when they were younger but not sure now.

Comments

• There's a Greek recipe for garbanzo soup that's delicious! Maybe you can find it?

You can make vegetarian Chinese potstickers. I used to make them with scrambled eggs and veggies, but you can use tofu instead of eggs. Get the wrappers at an Asian grocery store. Then I think you steam them first, then fry 'em. But you have Vitamin Cottage in Denver, don't you? They sell veggie potstickers, and chicken ones, too.

I have a great recipe for stuffed winter squash. Cook some brown rice, set aside. Fry 1-1/2 cup of onion, add 1 cup sunflower seeds, stir. Add 2 tbs soy sauce & 1/2 cup water and 1/4 tsp. each of sage, thyme, marjoram, stir, and allow to simmer uncovered about 10 mins. When liquid is almost gone, add 3 cups cooked rice, stir. Stuff each of several 1/2 winter squashes, bake til squash is cooked.
  • Yikes! How about vegetarian pizza and lasagna...my husband did this to me for a month...I just remember eating alot of french fries.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    French fries--that reminds me. Potatoes are a cheap way to fill kids up. Bake 6 idaho potatoes, lg. Scoop out baked potato from skins, add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (sharp), 6 chopped green onions, 3 cloves garlic, minced, and 1 lg container sour cream. Salt to taste. Blend (by hand is ok). You can stir in some of the skins if your kids like potato skins (good fiber & Vit. C). Bake in casserole dish until everything is bubbling, about 1/2 hr. Should be enough for 2 days, at least. Serve with green salad, oil & vinegar dressing.
  • Better yet, save the potato skins, and let the kids stuff them with the potato after it's cooked, and eat the dish as finger food. Kids love that!