Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did Jesus and Buddha really teach the same thing(if one looks deep enough)

2»

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @suopohe I've never heard pureland as being outside of the 6 realms before. I'm not that versed into pureland Buddhism though so I'd appreciate some kind of reference for that claim.
  • @suopohe I've never heard pureland as being outside of the 6 realms before. I'm not that versed into pureland Buddhism though so I'd appreciate some kind of reference for that claim.
    Hi Person
    You can check out Amitabha Sutra.

http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/amitabha.htm

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Awesome thread! There is a dozen websites, books on Jesus supposedly going to the East to study Buddhism. The question is... Are those websites/books legitimate!:)
  • Леня, my friend. (Sorry, my keyboard doesn't have the two dots over the "e") That's the $50,000 question. I've been studying this question. One or two of the books I've come across seem very iffy. Others have potential. I can't say for sure, yet, no one can. But it seems to me that if Islam and India both have oral traditions of Jesus living and teaching in the East (I think it's written in the Quran, not just oral), and being buried there, there must be something to it. Some say there are passages in a couple of the Gnostic Gospels that indicate Jesus went East after surviving his ordeal, but I haven't been able to find those references in the actual texts yet. It's a work in progress.

My hope is that we'll have the answer to this within our lifetime. The most recent report is that the Indian government wants to take control of the site, but it's in a very politically touchy region. Kashmir has always been a powderkeg, and the tomb is in a Muslim neighborhood that has turned militant. But they want to develop the site for tourism, and do DNA studies on the body inside the tomb. If they manage to do that, it'll be a earthshaking. Don't hold your breath, though; it won't happen soon.
  • I believe so. But to really to understand it. No.
  • In one word, to answer the opening post from my experience, despite some shared moral principles and understandings, which are common in all religions - " no " .
  • B and C couldn't be more different. In b, you save yourself, whereas in c only jc can save you.
  • I have met several Buddhists who arrive at Buddhism from the evangelical or fundamentalist Christian camps, and those are already severely flawed and very far removed from traditional, mystical Christianity. But I still understand where many of you are coming from regarding the differences between Jesus and Buddha. No doubt, there are many irreconcilable differences, especially on the surface.

As someone mentioned already, negative (apophatic) theology has much in common with Mahayana's Emptiness or Advaita Vedanta's Absolute. Plus I think many moderners take Christ's words out of context. Sure, he said that no one comes to the Father except through him, but he also points out that scripture says that all are called to be "sons of God". In the the first verses of the Gospel of John, it is said that Christ is the Word, or Logos, of God, and also that the Logos is the "light that shines in every man". This seems to me to be similar to the Buddha-nature idea of Mahayana.

John the Baptist says, "I must decrease so that He may increase". Jesus says: "Before Abraham was, I AM", which speaks to an identification with the Timeless (unbound, uncreated, etc.). And in addition to the many parallel sayings of Jesus and the Buddha (there are several collections of these online and in print; for example, see Marcus Borg's book), the early Church fathers and mothers, particularly in Christianity's monastic expression, practiced and taught hesychasm (stillness; silence), and nepsis (mindfulness; watchfulness).

Christ's teachings are placed in a kind of mytho-poetic narrative, which in itself becomes a means of spiritual engagement, and which includes all kinds of symbolism (which, at least for a long time, seemed the ideal spiritual tool for the western mind). For example, kenosis (self-emptying) is symbolized by the crucifixion. Jesus' recognition of Mary's way as being superior to Martha's way shows how the calling to complete renunciation of the world (monasticism) is superior to business (and even service) in the world.

The Buddha taught in parables and such, too, but it seems that his teachings are much more methodical and systematic, whereas Jesus' teachings weren't really turned into a methodological "spiritual science" of sorts until they were systematized through the practice and experience of the early church, and especially the desert fathers and mothers (see any volume of the Philokalia).

I think fewer humans can engage traditional, mystical/mythical religion nowadays because of a left-brain, black-and-white kind of thinking that has led more or less to a dichotomy: religious literalism vs. dogmatic materialism/atheism. I believe that what Christ and his saints teach leads in very much the same direction as Buddhism does, but has to be entered into in a pragmatic and experiential way, which is not easy for people living outside of, say, Romania or parts of Greece. It's hard to find qualified teachers of "Prayer of the heart" in North America, for example, whereas it seems that Vipassana instructors are a dime a dozen! Another difficulty many have with Christianity is faith, which doesn't come easily for people taught to regard skepticism as a virtue!

For interest's sake, there is a modern Eastern Orthodox Christian teacher named Bernadette Roberts who has written and published a few books regarding her own arrival at an experiential understanding of No-Self (anatta) through her lifelong practice of Christianity. http://www.amazon.com/Experience-No-Self-Contemplative-Journey-Revised/dp/0791416941

BTW, I am not saying that Buddha and Jesus had the exact same teachings or anything, and I believe that some of the differences are insurmountable from a practical point of view. Just throwing this out there for consideration... :) And sorry for the long ramble! Strong coffee this morning.
  • B and C couldn't be more different. In b, you save yourself, whereas in c only jc can save you.
    I don't believe Jesus said only he can save you. He said the Kingdom of God is within you, similar to the Buddha. It was a later edit of the New Testament that had him saying only he could save you.

Great post, Stavros!

• edited February 2012
    Personally, I find the Eastern Orthodox Church to be the closest, experientially, of any Western Church to Buddhism. (And it's not considered "Western" by its adherents.) It's the most mystical branch of organized Christianity, with the possible exception of the Coptic Church in Ethiopia.

@Stavros, I don't think it's necessary to live in the East (of Europe) to be able to be more balanced between right- and left- brains. One need only be raised in the culture of the Orthodox Church. There are plenty of Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian and Romanian communities around the US, recreating their cultural milieu of origin in the home. Speaking as someone who was raised in two worlds and two languages in an Orthodox community, I can say from experience that the hustle, bustle, consumerism, etc. of contemporary life gets left behind not even when you enter the home, but when you enter the neighborhood, where a very different reality is the norm.

Thank you for a thoughtful post. Don't stop there, you're on a roll! :)
  • There are plenty of Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian and Romanian communities around the US, recreating their cultural milieu of origin in the home. Speaking as someone who was raised in two worlds and two languages in an Orthodox community, I can say from experience that the hustle, bustle, consumerism, etc. of contemporary life gets left behind not even when you enter the home, but when you enter the neighborhood, where a very different reality is the norm.
    I feel you're fortunate to have that background! And I agree with you regarding Orthodoxy, Coptic Christianity, and Buddhism. I, in fact, attend both Greek and Russian parishes from time to time. I guess my above statement was more-or-less about receiving proper guidance from a veteran contemplative of the tradition, which, unless one lives close to a monastery, is not so easy to find (especially up here in Canada).

Thanks for the kind words, Dakini and c_w!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
    John 14:6.
    He did say that, the question to answer now is when he says "I" and "me", what exactly do those words refer to? Is it just "Jesus the human being" or something much deeper than that? I personally think it's something much deeper than that, something that goes far beyond "the individual of Jesus". It is stated in the Bible. "The kingdom of God is within you". If the kingdom of god is within you and Jesus lives in the kingdom of god, then Jesus also lives within you.

:)
  • Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @seeker242...that is a matter of perspective and faith and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you follow the messages and parables of jesus.

Faith and works.

There are two equally convincing arguments that support Jesus as only a man, and as Divine.

Follow what works for you, the importants lies on what he taught. The golden rule, the beautitudes, the our father, the parables, the importance of following the spirit of the law. Etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_God#Islam
  • And I agree with you regarding Orthodoxy, Coptic Christianity, and Buddhism. I, in fact, attend both Greek and Russian parishes from time to time. I guess my above statement was more-or-less about receiving proper guidance from a veteran contemplative of the tradition, which, unless one lives close to a monastery, is not so easy to find (especially up here in Canada).
    A friend of mine who officiates at Russ and Serb Orthodox Churches says the Ethiopians love those churches! One even tried to learn enough Russian to sing in the choir.

Don't forget, Canada has some Dukhobor communities. Maybe they could help you, if there are any in your area.

• A friend of mine who officiates at Russ and Serb Orthodox Churches says the Ethiopians love those churches! One even tried to learn enough Russian to sing in the choir.
    Russian liturgical music is pretty amazing! Other-worldly at times, even.
  • Russian liturgical music is pretty amazing! Other-worldly at times, even.
    Like nothing else in the world. I have several CD's of it.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @stavros388 and C_W
    I've used Russian liturgical music as background music in my massage practice. People find it very ethereal and calming. What's really interesting is that my Native American clients go into a deep trance as soon as the first notes are played, and don't come out of it until after the music is over. They go into such a deep trance, that their mind disconnects from their body, so they're not able to move at all. I see them struggling to move an arm even slightly, and they can't.

I think this is pretty good proof of the mystical power in that tradition. Awesome! :)
  • I often wonder as well. If all these teachings are connected somehow. Because they all feel very similar but diffrent. Thing that always gets me is you need to believe in jesus in order to be saved. Why do I have to believe in jesus? He was a real man.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    You don't need to believe in Jesus to be "saved". Just follow his teachings. The kingdom of God is within you. Find it. Meditate. Treat others as you would have them treat you. Simple. :)

Jesus is very big in Islam. He's going to return someday, and establish Islam as the only religion, did you know? Says so in the Quran. @Lady_Alison You might find this book I'm reading interesting: "Saving the Savior: Did Christ Survive the Crucifixion?" by a Muslim author who has researched the history of Jesus' tomb in Kashmir. I think he was raised a Catholic, so he examines the Gospels, including the apocryphal Gospels, to support his views, as well as the Quran and other sources.
  • He was the man. Gods son walking in his image.
  • @dakini...thank you, I will.
  • Traditionally, muslims believe that at the da of judgement, jesus will say that he was not God. He will bow down to the creator God, along with all monotheists. Christians will bow down with him, as so many were misled by conjecture and corruption of scrupture.

Let me put you at ease. No man can condenm another to eternal hell for what they believe. If they knew the horrors of hell they would not speak such ignorance.

I would not condemn nero or hitler to a place like that, let alone someone trying to see inner truth. So remember that when you listen to a spiritual leader.
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    According to Alan Watts they were pointing at exactly the same thing
  • Also I'm new to Buddhism , but If I find out what supreme Lord Buddha said was as same as what jesus, Mohammad or any other God's (LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) messenger said, be sure that I'll quit Buddhism as soon as asap!!!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Why?
    the central tenet of any religion is to love your neighbour as yourself.
    the Buddha taught Loving Kindness and Compassion... so I really don't understand what it is you're referring to?
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The Buddha taught liberation and liberation alone; being kind is just a natural consequence of following the path leading to liberation.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Well, to my mind he taught a little bit more than that..... Man cannot live by liberation alone.
    It's a means to an end, sure.
    but there's a whole lot more to it than that.

I hope.
  • edited May 2012
    Love @federica
    Well, the text the you've entered reveals that you know nothing about religions...
    I, Myself, am born as muslim, studies kabbalah, Christianity , Bahai , eckenkar and some of other god related stuffs. neither of them where useful for human, in all of these caes there's a god who decides who to be alive and who to be died, they all caused wars, limitation and lag. I'm just sick and tired of god and his prophets.
    Well, I know there are lots of people who are idiot enough to fight , kill and be died for their hidden and unknown god, so I would stay out of this, but to say my last sentence:
    Ice is cold, fire is hot, and water always drops down, if we pray god(s) till eternity, neither of those materials would change...
    ~~ Supreme lord buddha.
    Love @federica
    Well, the text the you've entered reveals that you know nothing about religions...
    I, Myself, am born as muslim, studies kabbalah, Christianity , Bahai , eckenkar and some of other god related stuffs. neither of them where useful for human, in all of these caes there's a god who decides who to be alive and who to be died, they all caused wars, limitation and lag. I'm just sick and tired of god and his prophets.
    Well, I know there are lots of people who are idiot enough to fight , kill and be died for their hidden and unknown god, so I would stay out of this, but to say my last sentence:
    Ice is cold, fire is hot, and water always drops down, if we pray god(s) till eternity, neither of those materials would change...
    ~~ Supreme lord buddha.
    What people like Jesus were talking about and what man turned it into are 2 different things. People didn't understand what Jesus was saying, but people did understand what the Buddha was saying, which was essentially the same message.

• Love @federica
    ~~ Supreme lord buddha.
    What people like Jesus were talking about and what man turned it into are 2 different things. People didn't understand what Jesus was saying, but people did understand what the Buddha was saying, which was essentially the same message.

Yes yes yes sir!!! you're absolutely right :D , people didn't understand him, but you did!! you the only one who did!!
    Did you know that in Real academic history , no jesus could be found?!!
    Did you know that muses was a dictator who was killed by his own soldiers?
    Did you know that mohammad had more than 41 wives?!
    Did you know that bahais are allowed to marry their siblings?!!
    Oh!!! funny! very funny!
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    In short.

No.

/Victor
    edited May 2012
    Love @federica
    @kaytan, I disagree....
    I, Myself, am born as muslim, studies kabbalah, Christianity , Bahai , eckenkar and some of other god related stuffs.
    well I spent a greater portion of my life as a Catholic, so i'm not completely ignorant of facts....
    neither of them where useful for human
    Oh i don't know... the Dalai Lama, Thomas Merton and Thich Nhat Hahn would loudly disagree with you there.....
    , in all of these caes there's a god who decides who to be alive and who to be died, they all caused wars, limitation and lag. I'm just sick and tired of god and his prophets.
    God caused nothing.
    The arrogance of man, purporting to be a devout follower of god, causes war and he cites religion as a reason, when in fact it is but a poor, redundant and pitifully lame excuse....
    what has this comment got to do with anything?
    It's off-topic and has no relevance to the subject matter.
    Supreme lord buddha.
    who was as human as you or I, and did not seek supremacy or to be elevated in anyone's eyes. So perhaps it is you who has the wrong end of the stick, friend.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Although in mahayana Buddha is an emanation of dharmakaya. Though the Tibetan word for pray does not have a subject or object.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited May 2012
    If I wanted to construct a concept of Buddha and Jesus as teaching the same thing it would sound something like this:

What they are trying to say cannot be said.
    Words and concepts are tools, stepping stones, fingers pointing at the moon.
    Jesus’ finger is not Buddha’s finger but they point at the same moon.

When I stayed in the guesthouse of a Catholic monastery there was a very old priest looking after us. He noticed I wasn’t much of a Catholic but he didn’t try to get to the bottom of our differences.
    He just looked me in the eyes and said: “ultimately it is a mystery”.
    If I wanted to construct a concept of Buddha and Jesus as teaching the same thing it would sound something like this:

What they are trying to say cannot be said.
    Words and concepts are tools, stepping stones, fingers pointing at the moon.
    Jesus’ finger is not Buddha’s finger but they point at the same moon.
    Some people here are way better explaining stuff than myself
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    They taught some of the same things, but they also had differences that are hard to reconcile.
    I agree. And it is better to focus on one path or the other.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    People didn't understand what Jesus was saying, but people did understand what the Buddha was saying, which was essentially the same message.
    How do we know it was essentially the same message if people didn't understand what Jesus was saying? :confused:
  • edited May 2012
    Love @federica
    @kaytan, I disagree....
    I, Myself, am born as muslim, studies kabbalah, Christianity , Bahai , eckenkar and some of other god related stuffs.
    well I spent a greater portion of my life as a Catholic, so i'm not completely ignorant of facts....
    neither of them where useful for human
    Oh i don't know... the Dalai Lama, Thomas Merton and Thich Nhat Hahn would loudly disagree with you there.....
    , in all of these caes there's a god who decides who to be alive and who to be died, they all caused wars, limitation and lag. I'm just sick and tired of god and his prophets.
    God caused nothing.
    The arrogance of man, purporting to be a devout follower of god, causes war and he cites religion as a reason, when in fact it is but a poor, redundant and pitifully lame excuse....
    what has this comment got to do with anything?
    It's off-topic and has no relevance to the subject matter.
    Supreme lord buddha.
    who was as human as you or I, and did not seek supremacy or to be elevated in anyone's eyes. So perhaps it is you who has the wrong end of the stick, friend.

Hmmm.. seems like you are person who can convince herself with irrelevant theories in order to get rid of the questions.
    Just to clear my beliefs for others :
    I, Myself,prefer to consider dalailama as a political person than a spiritual one,well, obviously this is what I think and ... probably can be wrong, but , as buddha said, praying god is useless!!! so, any one who follows him should think in that way...
    It's not only me , as a buddhist, who talk against the GOD's prophets,but also Paul Twichle , the founder of eckenkar religion,has talked many things against God prophets.
    About being supermacy thing that you said, well, lol ,lol i just can't stop laughing...
    Well, would you do me a favor and tell me why and how did you find supermacy thing in some one who can not be found in in history ( I mean jesus) and discuss my beliefs about some one who has brought the idea of peace, comfort and equality for human ( I mean SUPREME lord buddha) ?
    Well, Actually I think I'd better to leave you with your FANTASTIC theories alone...
    edited May 2012

Hmmm.. seems like you are person who can convince herself with irrelevant theories in order to get rid of the questions.
    specifically?
    Just to clear my beliefs for others :
    I, Myself,prefer to consider dalailama as a political person than a spiritual one,well, obviously this is what I think
    The Dalai Lama is retired from politics - as I'm sure you are aware - and concerns himself solely with the spirituality of his position.
    and ... probably can be wrong, but , as buddha said, praying god is useless!!!
    Please provide a reference to this comment.
    so, any one who follows him should think in that way...
    Unless you find direct reference to what you seem to believe he said, I think everyone is doing just fine, 'following him'....
    It's not only me , as a buddhist, who talk against the GOD's prophets,but also Paul Twichle , the founder of eckenkar religion,has talked many things against God prophets.
    this is not the topic of discussion here, and we do not hold with divisive, antagonistic and inflammatory comments.
    About being supermacy thing that you said, well, lol ,lol i just can't stop laughing...
    you seem easily amused. I can't see why....
    Well, would you do me a favor and tell me why and how did you find supermacy thing in some one who can not be found in in history ( I mean jesus)
    You're making huge assumptions here, as I never implied he was or is supreme. I didn't even mention the supremacy of Jesus, so i have no idea where you got this idea from.
    and discuss my beliefs about some one who has brought the idea of peace, comfort and equality for human ( I mean SUPREME lord buddha) ?
    I don't really care what your beliefs or opinions are.
    The Buddha himself tells us he is not supreme, so that's good enough for me.
    I don't need your word or anyone else's on that.
    Well, Actually I think I'd better to leave you with your FANTASTIC theories alone...
    Very good idea.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    People didn't understand what Jesus was saying, but people did understand what the Buddha was saying, which was essentially the same message.
    How do we know it was essentially the same message if people didn't understand what Jesus was saying? :confused:
    Im referring to people who took the bible literally.