Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

WOW! Sugar Crashes Are Intense! Any Suggestions?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2012 in Diet & Habits
I have not consumed any sugar for the past 3 days and I am feeling it badly right now. I feel so tired, no energy, weak and just want to sleep. Has anyone gone through this? Any special suggestions?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Coffee? :buck: :coffee:
    Seriously though idk I'm a major sugar addict.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Coffee? :buck: :coffee:
    Lol. Nah, I mean how can I smoothly transition away from sugar to something like more fruit? It's hard, real hard! All day at work I am falling a sleep. Even though I get 7 hours of sleep.
    Person- How old are you? I am about to be 27 and it's hard to cut out now, even though since I was 12 I have been eating so many cookies and candy and now, it's one of the hardest addictions to break.
    38 and no diabetes yet. I do stick to wholegrains and stay away from soda and high fructose corn syrup in general. I leave my refined sugar and grain intake to sweets.
    38 and no diabetes yet. I do stick to wholegrains and stay away from soda and high fructose corn syrup in general. I leave my refined sugar and grain intake to sweets.
    Ahh! I was doing a lot of chocolate cookies, candy and such. So I guess it's hitting me harder?
  • If you ease out of sugar instead of cutting it off willy nilly, it will be difficult.

I cold turkey sugar, unless it naturally was in the fruits and veggies I ate. I was tired while my body went thru the detox period...after 30 days it got easier and I havemore energy.

I suggest a baby step process since you ain't me, little doggy.

I am the kind of person that does things as soon as mind is made up and I am acruel mistress to my body...I drive her to death.

You should maybe consult a dietitian.
  • protein and non-refined carbs. really, the high protein is really good for people with sugar crashes (I used to pass out) Your body will scream that it wants sugar and processed carbs if you wait too long and then it is harder. So a protein/vegie snack every 2-3 hours will really help.

Ideas are soft cheese in a celery stick, handful of almonds with an apple, cheese and whole grain crackers, a roll up of sandwich meat with a slice of cheese, cucumbers and humus, carrot sticks with ranch dressing, a boiled egg,

Warning, you may still get really sleepy in the afternoon however your body will adjust. And congrats on working onyour health
  • Try dried fruit, trail mix, lime flavored Perrier with a few shots of flavored syrrup intead of soda...damn leon, you can still have a cookie, just not the whole crate.

I'm 28, former junk food addict
    If you ease out of sugar instead of cutting it off willy nilly, it will be difficult.

I cold turkey sugar, unless it naturally was in the fruits and veggies I ate. I was tired while my body went thru the detox period...after 30 days it got easier and I havemore energy.

I suggest a baby step process since you ain't me, little doggy.

I am the kind of person that does things as soon as mind is made up and I am acruel mistress to my body...I drive her to death.

You should maybe consult a dietitian.
    Great stuff! Lol, I have been doing it slowly, but even then it's quite hard.
    protein and non-refined carbs. really, the high protein is really good for people with sugar crashes (I used to pass out) Your body will scream that it wants sugar and processed carbs if you wait too long and then it is harder. So a protein/vegie snack every 2-3 hours will really help.

Ideas are soft cheese in a celery stick, handful of almonds with an apple, cheese and whole grain crackers, a roll up of sandwich meat with a slice of cheese, cucumbers and humus, carrot sticks with ranch dressing, a boiled egg,

Warning, you may still get really sleepy in the afternoon however your body will adjust. And congrats on working onyour health
    Great tips! I also like the suggestions for the other stuff instead of sugar! That is very helpful! If you have other suggestions instead of food let me know.
    Try dried fruit, trail mix, lime flavored Perrier with a few shots of flavored syrrup intead of soda...damn leon, you can still have a cookie, just not the whole crate.

I'm 28, former junk food addict
    That's the problem! Alison! Is I used to eat the whole freaking box of cookies and candy. Lol. I am still nice and athletic and got my 4 pack because I work out, but...I am noticing my mood changes...I will continue doing it slowly. I am working on going Veggie/Raw mostly. But all of you are right! Slow and steady!
  • Try coffee without sugar...switch to fresh fruit salads...damn, don't you californians shit fruit and salad bars...smoothie king or jamba juice...no candy bars!

Umm...you are craving it because you cold turkey and body is crashing. I don't think fruit is gonna convince it... :)

Try a gradual diet change instead of cutting sugar completely out.

Or you'll look like this :angry: :zombie: :werr: :pirate: :zombie:

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    The answer is peanut butter!

Seriously I might be going through a detox right now I have changed my diet and I feel weird. Headache.
    Try coffee without sugar...switch to fresh fruit salads...damn, don't you californians shit fruit and salad bars...smoothie king or jamba juice...no candy bars!

Umm...you are craving it because you cold turkey and body is crashing. I don't think fruit is gonna convince it... :)

No!!! Coffee messes me up! I do drink a lot of Tea!:)
    The answer is peanut butter!
    Good point! I do eat a lot of peanut butter! But it makes me shit quite a bit afterwards! Fast metabolism! Lol!
    Try coffee without sugar...switch to fresh fruit salads...damn, don't you californians shit fruit and salad bars...smoothie king or jamba juice...no candy bars!

Us Californians do, but you be surprised to see a lot of overweight people. Also, I am Russian/Ukrainian and so my diet consisted of a lot potatoes, soups, meat. I have been living on my own for over 3 years and so I am working on changing that. Hard transition!
  • Err...4pack...2 short of a six pack of beer.

Ah, stay away from beer, it bloats you.

You might look hot on the outside but have you ever gotten a full blood panel?

Are you Latino or have family with medical. Problems.?
    Err...4pack...2 short of a six pack of beer.

Ah, stay away from beer, it bloats you.

You might look hot on the outside but have you ever gotten a full blood panel?

Are you Latino or have family with medical. Problems.?

No, not Latino. Russian, Ukrainian Jew! I dislike beer with passion! I don't really drink either. Socially and that is rare, as I don't go out much any longer.
  • Omg...I thought you were Chicano ..lol...because of the weekend video when you were talking about the arch with the eagle.

No excuses! I am Honduran american...my family has obesity issues.

@Jeffrey he is right. The penut butter helps the sugar crashes. He's got me hooked.
  • Lol...hahaha...that was hilarious

Penut butter either makes you pee out your ass or extremely constipated.

No middle ground....I'm literally crying from laughing so hard.!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Leon, it's just what you said, an addiction. Keep up the good work, and after a week or 10 days, you'll lose the cravings. In the meantime, like Heerdt said, protein and complex carbs. Green veggies, a mixed salad daily. Jeffrey said peanut butter, which is a complex carbs.

Your body may be full of candida (a fungus that grows naturally in the gut), which gets out of control when you live on sugar, and when it dies off due to a no-sugar fast, it screams to be fed. You experience this as cravings. Stick it out. No fruit (!) until you're past the cravings stage.

What you do, is psych yourself to view other foods as a treat. Like, make avacados or artichokes, or whatever you like that's sugar-free your special treat. Really program your brain to say, "YEAH! GUACAMOLE!!" Stock up on special teas. Whatever works. The Buddhist way is to use your mind to overcome adversity, pain, distaste, whatever.

We're rooting for you! You can do this!! RAH! :clap:
  • Or explosive diarrhea :sawed:
    Omg...I thought you were Chicano ..lol...because of the weekend video when you were talking about the arch with the eagle.

No excuses! I am Honduran american...my family has obesity issues.

@Jeffrey he is right. The penut butter helps the sugar crashes. He's got me hooked.
    That was my friend talking. LOL And he is.
    Leon, it's just what you said, an addiction. Keep up the good work, and after a week or 10 days, you'll lose the cravings. In the meantime, like Heerdt said, protein and complex carbs. Green veggies, a mixed salad daily. Jeffrey said peanut butter, which is a complex carbs.

Your body may be full of candida (a fungus that grows naturally in the gut), which gets out of control when you live on sugar, and when it dies off due to a no-sugar fast, it screams to be fed. You experience this as cravings. Stick it out. No fruit (!) until you're past the cravings stage.

What you do, is psych yourself to view other foods as a treat. Like, make avacados or artichokes, or whatever you like that's sugar-free your special treat. Really program your brain to say, "YEAH! GUACAMOLE!!" Stock up on special teas. Whatever works. The Buddhist way is to use your mind to overcome adversity, pain, distaste, whatever.

We're rooting for you! You can do this!! RAH! :clap:
    WoW thank you! That was very good advice! You are so right! Mind over matter!:)
    Or explosive diarrhea :sawed:
    Had that happened many times!:) Shhh!;)
  • Hahaha...yeah, honestly me too.

No more corn! You cannot digest mexican street corn..especially on a binge.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    ok, right, corn is actually relatively high in sugar, so are potatoes. Any root vegetable. Avoid corn products in general for the next week.
  • Don't listen to me, listen to @dakani
  • No, no, we're a team, Lady_Alison!
    Both of you are awesome!:) Keep it up!
  • One thing I have discoverd is to cook brown rice which takes about 45 minutes to cook so don't do it when you are really starving.

Then take some carrots and onions and chop. Chop some snow peas and brocoli. Sautee the carrot and onion. You can use different vegetables, this is just my recipe. Then get a cup of water and a spoon and a bottle of soy sauce. Add soy sauce a few shlugs and then throw in the snow peas. Add a spoon of water if the soy sauce is boiling off all the liquid. When they have steamed add the brocoli and cook same method until the brocoli is changing color to a bright green longer and it turns kind of a weird green but it's still good. Turn off heat. Add some stir fry sauce from the market or make your own. I use house of tsang peanut stir fry sauce a little spicy. Chop some peanuts and add.

Serve with the brown rice.
  • @dakini...I was still on explosive diarrhea.

That reminds me, another advantage of raw diet...bowels move like clockwork.
  • I think you should go on a sugar binge until you can't eat anymore or even look at another powder doughnut with lust.

The first time I had a screw driver at 14 visiting cousins in Chicago was the last time! I still get sick looking at orange juice...not to mention getting lost in the city was kinda scary and stupid.

I had the same experience with smoking. Last year, after quiting for 5 years I picked it up for a week. I chained smoked 2packs of Marlboro reds...yikes...I was so sick..I couldn't even get on the treadmill.

Yeah...forget it, leon.

Don't deprive yourself completely, that's not living. But cookie monster is also not the answer, he needs rehab.l
  • @dakini..fungus in my gut.

I would have been blissfully happy not knowing that...gross...let me look it up in my microbiology book.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I think you should go on a sugar binge until you can't eat anymore or even look at another powder doughnut with lust.
    No, don't do this. We're not a team anymore, Lady. (*boot*)
    You're half-way there, Leon. You've been sugar-fasting 3 days, you say? Give it a week, see how you feel. Remember, it's all those microscopic candida critters causing you to climb the walls, it's not real. You can beat the cookie monster! If I beat the cookie monster, you can, too! We're veterans of the cookie monster wars, yeah! Lock arms, c'mere, Lady_Alison, join up, we're unstoppable! United we stand! The cookie monster will fall! We're in this with you, Leon! BOO, cookie monster!

:thumbsup:

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @Lady_Alison Wiki has all answers. Consult the Wiki Oracle. :ninja:
  • @dakini...lol...you're silly. Wiki is like taking a survey course...but I will (yawn) ...it's late in houston. I will post good anti cookie monster propaganda tomorrow...I think leon just crashed. Night!
  • I will post good anti cookie monster propaganda tomorrow
    I look forward to this. 'night! ZZZzzzz....

One thing I have discoverd is to cook brown rice which takes about 45 minutes to cook so don't do it when you are really starving.

Then take some carrots and onions and chop. Chop some snow peas and brocoli. Sautee the carrot and onion. You can use different vegetables, this is just my recipe. Then get a cup of water and a spoon and a bottle of soy sauce. Add soy sauce a few shlugs and then throw in the snow peas. Add a spoon of water if the soy sauce is boiling off all the liquid. When they have steamed add the brocoli and cook same method until the brocoli is changing color to a bright green longer and it turns kind of a weird green but it's still good. Turn off heat. Add some stir fry sauce from the market or make your own. I use house of tsang peanut stir fry sauce a little spicy. Chop some peanuts and add.

Serve with the brown rice.
    Great stuff! I will definitely dry! I hear that a lot of grains is bad for you, however? Due to grains being implemented into our diet only 6,000 years ago.
    I think you should go on a sugar binge until you can't eat anymore or even look at another powder doughnut with lust.

The first time I had a screw driver at 14 visiting cousins in Chicago was the last time! I still get sick looking at orange juice...not to mention getting lost in the city was kinda scary and stupid.

I had the same experience with smoking. Last year, after quiting for 5 years I picked it up for a week. I chained smoked 2packs of Marlboro reds...yikes...I was so sick..I couldn't even get on the treadmill.

Yeah...forget it, leon.

Don't deprive yourself completely, that's not living. But cookie monster is also not the answer, he needs rehab.l
    Done that and that doesn't work to well for me. LOl
    @dakini..fungus in my gut.

I would have been blissfully happy not knowing that...gross...let me look it up in my microbiology book.
    This is really interesting! And great and interesting! Thanks Dakini! and Alison!:)
    No, don't do this. We're not a team anymore, Lady. (*boot*)
    You're half-way there, Leon. You've been sugar-fasting 3 days, you say? Give it a week, see how you feel. Remember, it's all those microscopic candida critters causing you to climb the walls, it's not real. You can beat the cookie monster! If I beat the cookie monster, you can, too! We're veterans of the cookie monster wars, yeah! Lock arms, c'mere, Lady_Alison, join up, we're unstoppable! United we stand! The cookie monster will fall! We're in this with you, Leon! BOO, cookie monster!

:thumbsup:

Thanks! I needed that! I was so going crazy like 30 min ago. And my lady is here and I am bitchin' to her! LOl. she holding me focused though!:)
    @dakini...lol...you're silly. Wiki is like taking a survey course...but I will (yawn) ...it's late in houston. I will post good anti cookie monster propaganda tomorrow...I think leon just crashed. Night!
    Nah, still here! I definitely need that! Please do!
  • Stay away from processed breads (no more wonderbread for you!) and push the water. Water does amazing things for our bodies, and when you're trying to flush something out of your system, it's your bff.

Also, in case it's suggested you switch to a sweetener like splenda or aspertame... I would humbly suggest you think twice. A lot of people (myself included) have trouble with the "fake" sugar. I'd rather have a small amount of "real" sugar than tons of stuff created in a lab.

Honey is a nice sugar substitute too, if you're still craving something sweet.

By the way, you all have totally RUINED peanut butter for me now, forever. Thanks so much guys. :zombie: