Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Big Name Neuroscientist Announces Telepathy as Proven Fact!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2012 in General Banter
Well well, look what we have here. Dr. Michael Persinger, the famous Neuroscientist at Ontario University, an Atheist hailed by skeptics for his "God helmet" experiments as being evidence against NDE's being evidence for an afterlife, has turned the tables on his skeptic admirers by announcing that he has now discovered a proven telepathic link in his experiments. See his interview below.

www.skeptiko.com...

Neuroscience Researcher and Laurentian University professor, Dr. Michael Persinger, demonstrates telepathy under laboratory conditions.

Claims of telepathy, ESP and other psi phenomena are a mainstay of popular culture but taboo in neuroscience research circles. Fortunately, Dr. Michael Persinger of Canada’s Laurentian University has never been afraid to venture where other researchers fear to go. In the 1980′s Persinger made headlines with his “God Helmet”, a device that stimulates temporal lobes with a weak magnetic field in order to produce religious states.

Now, Persinger has discovered the same type of brain stimulation can create metal states conducive to human telepathy. “What we have found is that if you place two different people at a distance and put a circular magnetic field around both, and you make sure they are connected to the same computer so they get the same stimulation, then if you flash a light in one person’s eye the person in the other room receiving just the magnetic field will show changes in their brain as if they saw the flash of light. We think that’s tremendous because it may be the first macro demonstration of a quantum connection, or so-called quantum entanglement. If true, then there’s another way of potential communication that may have physical applications, for example, in space travel.”

While Persinger’s experiments could prove groundbreaking, he remains doubtful about his controversial findings reaching his colleagues, “I think the critical thing about science is to be open-minded. It’s really important to realize that the true subject matter of science is the pursuit of the unknown. Sadly scientists have become extraordinarily group-oriented. Our most typical critics are not are mystic believer types. They are scientists who have a narrow vision of what the world is like.”

Listen to the interview at:
www.skeptiko.com...

Download the interview at:
www.skeptiko.com...

Here is another article about Persinger's discovery and lecture video:

www.dailygrail.com...

Michael Persinger: 'No More Secrets' with Telepathy
Posted by Greg at 02:53, 17 May 2011

Dr Michael Persinger of Laurentian University quickly became the science darling of skeptics and atheists a decade ago with news of his 'God Helmet', which appeared to show that 'sensed presence' of supernatural entities (and/or 'God') may be simply due to magnetic disturbance of the brain. Since then however, Persinger has not made himself an overly attractive science reference for skeptics as he has been involved with, and claims to have achieved positive results in, experimental parapsychology.

Earlier this year, Persinger gave the following lecture, titled "No More Secrets". In it, he detailed his theories on the connection between magnetic fields and the brain, in particular how this relationship could facilitate telepathy and remote viewing. He notes particular experiments and individuals (Ingo Swann, Sean Harribance) that seem to give evidence supporting his theories, and makes some fairly extraordinary claims which I'm sure will lead to some debate.

I had never seen Persinger lecture before - he's a great presenter, and with his usual suit and pocket watch, and precise mannerisms, makes for a fair caricature of an eccentric scientist. Whether you agree or disagree with his theories and evidence, it's still worth a watch just for some of the oblique insights that he has (e.g. when discussing the minuteness of fields involved, "don't think of 'bigness' as being important, it's the pattern that is important"). A worthy time investment for any science fiction writer...

The lecture is around 36 minutes long, and is followed by almost 20 minutes of questions and answers. The title of the lecture emerges from the extrapolation of telepathy as a barely understood phenomenon, to a talent that all humans could use to know what was in any other person's brain. What would it be like if there were 'No More Secrets'?

Comments

• Bravo, Leon!! Where can we get a couple of those "God Helmets"?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Lol. Compassion .
  • That's interesting enough to look into. Thanks!
  • More like cerebro helmets...xmen.
  • Amazing! Thank you very much for sharing this. I will be watching the lecture, for sure. :)
  • He's been doing this stuff for years but I cant find any of his work peer reviewed - the claim as to ESP also came out around May last year and I havent seen it peer reviewed or published anywhere - and still the $1M fund stands unclaimed? Do you have any links to the published study?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Nice find, I will certainly be watching the lecture sometime soon. :thumbsup:
    Welcome everyone! And no I don't Zero. Sorry. That's all I could find.
  • Keep it comin', Leon. Great stuff. :thumbsup:
  • It's a plausible theory that magnetic fields would have certain effects on the human brain. The brain is after all electrochemical in nature.

BTW Compassionate_warrior, unless you've got a lot of dough to spare for a pair of "god helmets" They might be a little bit hard to come by.
  • BTW Compassionate_warrior, unless you've got a lot of dough to spare for a pair of "god helmets" They might be a little bit hard to come by.
    Good point. Computers and solar panels used to only be affordable to governments, not the general population. ;) Hey, let me dream!

Sometimes I wonder if I hang around this forum for the Buddhism, or for the psi-and-science stuff. Both, I guess.

What an ending--"a more empathic civilization"! How Buddhistic can you get? Time to move this thread to "Advanced Ideas". :D

I'm not a scientist, but I've "known" for a long time that info bonds to or is stored in energy/EM fields. "Known" by some mysterious process of experience and observation. But I'd like to see a discussion of how or why that happens. And how do radio waves work? In the end, he said "we don't know" how info is stored in energy, didn't he? He suspects it's hologrammic?

Can you provide a link to the video, for reference, @Leon?

• Quite amazing, science seemed to be steaming ahead at a very rapid rate. Imagine if you were to go and and live in a cave for the bext 15 years, then come out. There would be quite a change I would have thought. Nice 1 Leon
  • I am looking forward to further research into psionics. I am also looking forward to using to word "psionics" more often, because it is fun to say and lends a sense of mystery to it all :D
  • Man, the stupid typos I make :banghead: At the moment itis all about nano-science, if I had some moneys I would invest in a company.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Not sure if I should invest in the telepephone or a tinfoil hat maker. :buck:
    Keep it comin', Leon. Great stuff. :thumbsup:
    :) Thank you! Def will!
    BTW Compassionate_warrior, unless you've got a lot of dough to spare for a pair of "god helmets" They might be a little bit hard to come by.
    Good point. Computers and solar panels used to only be affordable to governments, not the general population. ;) Hey, let me dream!

Sometimes I wonder if I hang around this forum for the Buddhism, or for the psi-and-science stuff. Both, I guess.

What an ending--"a more empathic civilization"! How Buddhistic can you get? Time to move this thread to "Advanced Ideas". :D

I'm not a scientist, but I've "known" for a long time that info bonds to or is stored in energy/EM fields. "Known" by some mysterious process of experience and observation. But I'd like to see a discussion of how or why that happens. And how do radio waves work? In the end, he said "we don't know" how info is stored in energy, didn't he? He suspects it's hologrammic?

Can you provide a link to the video, for reference, @Leon?

Both! But, that is all I could find. Sorry.
    Quite amazing, science seemed to be steaming ahead at a very rapid rate. Imagine if you were to go and and live in a cave for the bext 15 years, then come out. There would be quite a change I would have thought. Nice 1 Leon
    Enjoy!:)
    I am looking forward to further research into psionics. I am also looking forward to using to word "psionics" more often, because it is fun to say and lends a sense of mystery to it all :D
    Totally agree!
    Man, the stupid typos I make :banghead: At the moment itis all about nano-science, if I had some moneys I would invest in a company.
    Yea, big and growing field.
  • Yes, the key word growing. I personally can see how it will be applied in many different ways, so I think it would be wise to buy a few shares in a specific company after doing some research first of course. Then again, I am not that wealthy :p
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    psionics.
    Is that really a word, or did you make that up? It works!

I recommend the book "Entangled Minds", by a scientist who has compiled a list and discussion of all the research into different psi phenomena that has been done over the last 100 years or so. He, himself, has done experiments that prove that humans have precognition.
    tinfoil hats are passe. It's God Helmets, now, get with it!

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @Dakini

Yeah it is a real word, last I checked Psionics is the field of research of the human mind affecting paranormal phenomena. Telepathy being one, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psionics

Granted, it is mostly mentioned in fiction only, but I think it is actually applicable.
    LOL!
    LOL!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Granted, it is mostly mentioned in fiction only, but I think it is actually applicable.
    oh, I guess this is why I haven't heard it before. But it's a good word.

I see Joseph Campbell first coined the word. Cool.