Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone know of places in which it is possible to become a Buddhist Nun?

edited February 2012 in Sanghas
I am looking to dedicating my practice seriously for some time, and then coming back into society better equipped and having explored the depths- being able to share something. I have been practicing Buddhism for 5 years, and living a normal life which is fine of course, but I feel a deep longing to immerse myself fully as one does on retreats, but for at least 2 years. I was looking for somewhere that would not only accept Nun's, but also a place where there would be access to teachings in English, although I would be happy of course to learn the local language, wherever that place would be. I have searched on internet and not found anything, and the Sangha for which I am part of offers retreats for months at a time, but I am looking on really dedicating my life full time to the practice. Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited February 2012
    http://www.dhammasara.org.au/

check out Ajahn Brahm dhamma talks if you are not familiar with him

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA

you might want to check out this website as well for info about bhikkhuni
    http://www.bhikkhuni.net
    bhikkhuni = nun
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Hi, 3jules. Welcome to the forum.

You could contact Joan Halifax, a Zen nun and roshi, and ask her if there's a Buddhist nunnery somewhere in the English-speaking world. She runs a small monastery in New Mexico, I don't know if she takes nuns, you could ask. www.upaya.org There will be contact info there.
  • Can I ask you about the feeling of dedication you might get from a more immersed study? I have also thought about 'giving myself' unto a monastery. For me it is to have a place which is supportive. But I think I can practice the dharma regardless of how close a connection.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2012
    It would be helpful to know which tradition you follow. As far as I know Thailand is the only place where monastic vows are taken temporarily. Other traditions certainly allow serious lay practioners to stay with them though.

In the Tibetan tradition I know of Sravasti Abbey in Washington State, Gampo Abbey in Nova Scotia, Thosamling nunnery in India, and I just ran into this one Vajra Dakini nunnery in Vermont.
  • @person Is Gampo Abbey associated with Pema Chodron?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @person Is Gampo Abbey associated with Pema Chodron?
    Yeah
  • That sounds like a good one, then. People love her teachings.
  • Are there any good frée audio on Pema?
  • Maybe if you click onto the Gampo Abbey link "person" gave above, you might find some?
  • Are there any good frée audio on Pema?
    There are lots of Youtube clips of Chodron speaking if you're interested.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2012
    I highly recommend The Bodhi House and Aranya Bodhi. You should also check out Dhammadharini for more information about these two locations, as well as other sister monasteries.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Make sure you do extensive meditation on renunciation before ordaining !
  • Bodhi House looks beautiful! In the San Fran Bay Area--you can't go wrong! :)
  • Wow, guys, I just had a chance to read all your replies, I feel so rich with ideas and places to explore thanks to you all, deeply (Jason, Dakini Patbb, Person) I will look into these connections. I only just discovered this website what a blessing. I have been following Triatna for 5 years, and discovered Buddhism through Tushita in India prior to that. I do feel I am still very much a novice and I find it easy to get caught up in life, and I do truly acknowledge that one of the best places to learn is in the every day busy reality, and I do not in any way wish to turn my back on it. I guess it is just to have the opportunity to really explore the inner world with some real time and whole hearted dedication rather than mere snatches would be so wonderful to explore, and hopefully be of benefit to others too somehow in the long term. Metta to you all, may you all be well and may the light of the dharma shine on you x thank you x
  • You can become a nun at a temple that isn't necessarily a nunnery, too - we have western nuns here at our Tibetan (Gelug) temple in Wisconsin, for example. They have all spent quite a bit of time in India studying as well as here at home.
  • Thank you Sile! :)