Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any vets around here ?

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
edited February 2012 in General Banter
My dog has ingested some...175 grams of crispy mini wafers with cocoa cream ( this is the translation of what were they eating...the real name of the product is 'Napolitane cu Crema De Cacao', but that's irrelevant ). I need to know if the chocolate contained in those wafers is enough to, let's say, do something really really nasty to my dog.
Here are the ingredients (the relevant ones; if the other ingredients are needed, I'll post) : fat-reduced cocoa powder (2,4%) (10-12% cocoa butter).
Is there any vet around here who can help me ??

Comments

• I am not a vet, but I am a lifelong dog owner.

I've had dogs get into the candy before. That includes stealing entire candy bars and bags of cookies and such. I've had them get sick and throw up for a day or so, and get diarrhea, but never had one that was sick enough to worry about taking it to a vet from chocolate.

However, I am not a vet, and a vet would tell you for legal reasons to take your dog to a vet just in case. I am also not saying you should avoid taking it to a vet. Just relating my own experience.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    How big is the dog?
    If it's a yorkshire terrier you might see a problem. If it's a Neapolitan Mastiff, less so.....
  • I'm not a vet but it may be too late to do anything about it - if you dont go to a vet then let your dog out in your garden, I've found that if dogs eat something dodgy then they tend to gravitate towards eating grass and puking up whatever it was... if it needs to be puked up - hope he's alright.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    @federica
    It's medium size ( like 24-26 kg maximum)
    And no, it's an airedale terrier.

@Zero
    I don't have any grass in site, for my garden is covered by mountains of snow. As far as I know, dogs tend to eat grass when they need to, and not when I give them.

@ Cinorjer

I'm not taking it to the vet these days, but I wondered in what measure does the quantity posted affects my dog. I read about the clinical signs that will indicate intoxication, and I'm waiting for the chocolate, especially the theobromine to be absorbed.
  • I'm a former veterinary nurse. That's not enough chocolate to do much to a dog that size. What you have to be very careful of is allowing a dog to consume concentrated chocolate such as a dark chocolate candy, etc. Our boxer one time ate almost an entire bag (almost a kilo) of Hershey Kisses and it did nothing to him. His poop was shiny silver (all the foil he ate with the candy), but that was the only ill effect we noticed.

Dogs definitely should not be given chocolate as a matter of course, but a little bit now and then like that isn't likely to do a lot of harm.