Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Authentic opinion by Padmasambava on smoking tobacco

edited February 2012 in Diet & Habits
HH Dujom Rinpoche has a teaching about Padmasambava's termas or hidden teachings about Tobacco. There is some info on the web about this. I have the actual teaching made into a book. Here is what it says in breif. Tobacco grew from the corpse of a chinese Demoness about 100 years after Lord Buddhas death. She prophetized that this plant would spread far and wide and poision the virtue of this world system. If you inhale it say bye bye to birth in heaven or authentic spiritaual attainment. It causes irregular seasons and loss of ones Yidam/diety and love bohdichitta mind.
A monk once asked a previous Karmapa why he sometimes smoked but told all the monks thay could not. He brought the monk up in the mountains and inhaled tobacco and then blew out the smoke from his ring finger and said, "once you can do that then you can smoke, a little bit" If you are not authorized by an authentic Lama to overpower the tobacco you will be destroyed by it definitly. Some individuals smoke but do not inhale to divert the evil that happens of those that do inhale. There in that teaching is also statements by the great female yogi Machick Lapdron who said in the future there will be something one puts in the mouth to smoke that will cause the rampid loss of virtue and disturbing emotions to eventually destroy those that smoke. It blocks birth in any heaven of any religion. Some advanced Lamas can chew tobacco if you try before you reach their indistructable state you will be destroyed by it. Trust this.

Comments

• Some may say how can there be so much wrong with a plant. It says Aconit is a plant but eating a small amount can cause physical death. Tobacco originated by the immensely evil wish of a dieing revengeful demoness if you doubt the truth in these words youll regeret it even if you presently enjoy doing so quaranteed.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There appears to be some disagreement of thought here.

Huron Indian myth has it that in ancient times, when the land was barren and the people were starving, the Great Spirit sent forth a woman to save humanity. As she traveled over the world, everywhere her right hand touched the soil, there grew potatoes. And everywhere her left hand touched the soil, there grew corn. And when the world was rich and fertile, she sat down and rested. When she arose, there grew tobacco . . .

•c. 6000 BCE: Experts believe the tobacco plant, as we know it today, begins growing in the Americas.
    •c.1 BCE: Experts believe American inhabitants have begun finding ways to use tobacco, including smoking (in a number of variations), chewing and in probably hallucinogenic enemas (by the Peruvian Aguaruna aboriginals).
    •c. 1 CE: Tobacco was "nearly everywhere" in the Americas. (American Heritage Book of Indians, p.41).

http://www.tobacco.org/History/Tobacco_History.html
  • Tobacco is a New World crop, and wasn't known in Asia before Europeans took it there. My Tibetan Buddhism professor, who founded one of the first Tibetan communities in the US, said he told smokers that the "lu", the Earth Spirits, would make them ill if they smoked habitually.

• I say smoke weed instead ;)
  • Tobacco originally was used only in ceremonies and other sacred contexts. It was considered a sacrament, and was handled accordingly, so no one ever got sick from it. It was only when Europeans came upon it, and used it to excess, turning it into a commodity to profit from, that people began to suffer from tobacco overuse. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, if used judiciously, and with respect.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Tabacco is Disgusting in general and not good for spiritual practice.
  • I can quarantee you the teaching by Omnicient Buddha/Padmasambava is correct. Padmasambava if you don't know is the Buddha who made Buddhism happen in Tibet. There are about 7 predictions from aithentic siddhas about tobacco in the teaching by HH Dujom Rinpoche These predictions mostly happened in the 11th century before tobacco originated. Some predictions by Drodul Lingpa 17th century and Tugchog Dorje 18th century. Tobacco existed much before brought to America.

I experemented with it. I finished Ngndro 100,000 prostrations 100,000 Vajrasattva mantra Guru Yoga and Mandala offerings. Then I did 2 million Chenrezik mantras(not much to many other serious practitioners. Then I did 1 million hundred vajrasattva mantras took 10 years. After that partial cleansing I said okay i will trt tobacco to see th effect. You won't notice it completely unless really spiritually clean youself out. Any way al most all times after inhaling I experienced first of course the high and seeming faith that it produces which is a mundane expierenece caused by afflicted evil spirits.(If we study we find out the clarvoyance is not always a result of virtue. The people possesed by evil spirits have great clarvoyance. Nothing compared to buddhas though.Any way after the intial high which also invokes sexual interest that is not good.Sex can be good ofcourse but when influenced by tobacco it is not. After this I got every time I tried it a very, very negative pressence in my chest which would take me hours and hours of practice to clear of. Some Lamas can inhale but if you have not accomplished the diety youll be in trouble.Like do 100 million mnatras then try this. My practice mentioned it miniscule and not worth anything but through the blessing of the ones that were supllicated it is there quality. If you have a private meeting with a genuine Lama and ask him or her the truth about tobacco if they are authentic they will tell you similiar.
    Garchen Rinpoche a well known Kagyu Lama does not allow smoking during his teachings or on the property. HH Karmapa'a monastery does not allow smoking on the premisses. A quote from one of the revelations found as terma by Tugchog Dorje,
    " People will inhale tobacco smoke, the viens of disriminating wisdom thus becomming blocked, agitation and obscuring emotions will be intensified. The central channel will be obstructed and the clarity of ones awareness will die.

If you are smoking even a little bit it will prevent you from learning this knowledge and you will have many exuses and false reasons to reject it. If you are with a person who inhales all positve true Dharma you try with them will be rejected and blocked or they will BS with you. I used to be a smoker. Again my practice is very insignificant but if you do lots of practice for some years and clean it out of you. Then you can detect it.

From the prediction of female yogini Ma Chik Lapdron:
    In the final age of disputes there will be something one puts in the mouth, endowed with all the five poisions. It will originate in China, spread to Mongolia, and be consumed by the people of Tibet. If meditators take it even if they practice for 100 kalpas they will not realise the deity. It will cause rainfall to be irregular, there will be irregular seasons. In future lives if you partake in this substance you will wonder continuously in the lower realms. Even the compassion of the Three Supreme One(Buddha, Dharma, Sangha) will have no power to protect them.

The Buddha never deceives.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    HH Dujom Rinpoche has a teaching about Padmasambava's termas or hidden teachings about Tobacco. There is some info on the web about this. I have the actual teaching made into a book. Here is what it says in breif. Tobacco grew from the corpse of a chinese Demoness about 100 years after Lord Buddhas death. She prophetized that this plant would spread far and wide and poision the virtue of this world system. If you inhale it say bye bye to birth in heaven or authentic spiritaual attainment. It causes irregular seasons and loss of ones Yidam/diety and love bohdichitta mind.
    A monk once asked a previous Karmapa why he sometimes smoked but told all the monks thay could not. He brought the monk up in the mountains and inhaled tobacco and then blew out the smoke from his ring finger and said, "once you can do that then you can smoke, a little bit" If you are not authorized by an authentic Lama to overpower the tobacco you will be destroyed by it definitly. Some individuals smoke but do not inhale to divert the evil that happens of those that do inhale. There in that teaching is also statements by the great female yogi Machick Lapdron who said in the future there will be something one puts in the mouth to smoke that will cause the rampid loss of virtue and disturbing emotions to eventually destroy those that smoke. It blocks birth in any heaven of any religion. Some advanced Lamas can chew tobacco if you try before you reach their indistructable state you will be destroyed by it. Trust this.
    Why is it you define this as being "authentic"?

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Nicotine is a poison. One cigarette will clamp down your arterial tree for 24 hours.
    Inhaling any kind of smoke be it from tobacco, weed, or a burning house is incredibly bad for your lungs.
    Tobacco use creates a whole host of respiratory disorders such as COPD, asthma, emphysema and lung cancer. Chewing or cigar/pipe smoking is a causitive factor in mouth, and throat cancers.
    One of the most unrecognized problems, by the lay public, with smoking is heat disease and heart attacks.
    The upside to cigarette smoking is that it takes many years to cause extensive damage to your lungs.
    The downside is that when you get to that tipping point anywhere from 50-75% of your lung tissue is shot. At this point you get to die a slow painful death where even the act of eating will get you winded.
  • One more quote for the vrtuous ones who are intersted in serious Dharma practice and other virtuous ones.

Terma of Sageylingpa"(1340-1396)
    Interupting what they are doing they will frantically cosume the poison tobacco. They will spit and their nose will run uncontrollably, their heath and coplexion will fade.

Terma by Siddha yogi Rigzin Godem(1327-1387)
    In the ultimate decadent age people will absorb poisioness vomit tobacco, the food of Gandharwa.(unvirtuous smell eaters:a class of spirits who feed on bad smells)
    Merely smelling it one will go to the Avici Hell. For this reason give it up right now.

Prediction of Dundul Dorje.(1615-1672)
    Monks and Nuns and others will enjoy inhaling the smoke of this plant tobacco and sniffing its powder and the country will be invaded by samaya breakers. With compulsive desire arising ceaselessly, they will be thus deceived by Mara(Satan), and as a sign of the exhaustion of merits tears will flow without control definitly in their future.

First Paragraph of the teachin intitled:
    " The Harmful Effects of Tobacco
    Abrief explanation called "The quide who leads the blind from the wrong path ending in a precipice"
    May this be auspicious. Having paid homage with deep respect to Guru Rinpoche Padmasambava, Wisdom Body of the Buddhas and bohdisattvas Union of all Buddha Families I relate here the history of tobacco."

Long ago, about a hundred years after Lord Buddha had passed into Nirvana, in the land of China there was a girl of the race of demons who, having been driven mad by her mind of great lust, spoke these words as she was dying:

With this body of mine I pray that beings of this earth may be lead to the lower realms. Bury my corpse intact and after some time a flower, different from all others will grow from my womb. Merely smelling its scent one will experience in both body and mind an unimaginable bliss, far more pleasurable than the union of male and female. It will spread far and wide until most of the beings on this earth will enjoy it."

"At present the actual fruition of her wish is clearly evident. Causing all kinds of illness and pulmonary disease.
    In these days almost every one developes an irresistable attraction to it and consumes it without control. This is how the wish of the demoness has ultimately born its fruit. By the strength of it the five gross poisons will increase.
  • One more thing from Diligent Light Choyki Nyima (Monte)
    I also tried getting a wrathful initiation of Mahakala(White) and tried to wrathfulfull deal with tobacco to see if I could offer it up like some Lamas do when Chinese military make them smoke after imprisoning them in todays world. One or 2 times I was possibly successful with just 2 very small drags. But then the tobacco made me want to smoke more then the difficulty sleeping and very evil feeling in the chest happened again. Taking hours to remove. My suggestion definitly get advise from a AUTHENTIC Tibetan Lama if you want to try to do this or have questions about smoking. Pleas exuse the misspellings in my messages i have a bad back injury and can not type good now.

• I say smoke weed instead ;)
    I figured by reading your posts that this was going on... :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2012
    When I smoke tobacco it reminds me of my dad. It's a gift from Buddha, but ego can turn it into a demon. As can many other gifts be turned to misfortune.
  • Smoking is also something to do outside. Where you can stand and look at something. Like a river or lake. And if someone sees you they don't think your weird because your not doing anything. It feels integrated with the comminity and nature. I'd rather see someone outside smoking and enjoying nature than listening on a cell phone walking around. What do you think?
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I think that smoking is more self destructive than talking on a cell phone.

Edit: unless it takes place in a car, while driving....
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Tobacco didn't exist in Asia during the time of the practitioners you quote, Monte. Maybe they were using something else, like the ephedra the Aryans used, but were calling it "tobacco". Grains of various sorts used to be called "corn" all over Eurasia long before maize was brought from the Americas.
  • From Diligent Light . Authentic means one who is truley love Bohdichitta and often authorized to teach by Gurus that have been chosen by one of the four heads of Tibetan Buddhism Thats what I meant. Karmapa can cause rainbows to appear where he goes. Ive seen a handprint he left in stone. Padmasambava/Guru Rinpoche is also one with The Karmapa. The info on Tobacco www.dudjom-on-smoking.org His Holiness Dudjom Rinpoche is the supreme head of the Nyigma School of Tibetan Buddhism.
    Smoking also causes evil or mundane calirvoyance and of course a feeling of supposed "goodness" like intoxicants. The devil's not going to get you by giving you something you don't like. In the end if you smoke tobacco you will loose true love and loved ones, you might smile alot in this life but at the end of your life you will not make it to higher realms heaven. The link intitled Tobacco in the above website conatins the predicted teachings of Guru Rinpoche made in the past about the comming of tobacco in the future and what it will do.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    @monte is this an accurate description of what Tibet Buddhist practice claims? Demons and tobacco smoke being exhaled from the fingers and flowers growing out of a dead woman's womb? It's no wonder the Gurus over there try to keep the teachings secret only to the initiated. Do you have any idea of how far out in left field these stories sound to nonTibet Buddhists?

Archeology and historians of today claim tobacco originated in the Andes mountains in the distant past, was widely used in the New World by the time Europeans arrived, first spread to the East by sailors around 1600s and no evidence exists of the plant being cultivated there before that. The early explorers and Jesuit missionaries recorded that tobacco was unknown to the region and it became an import market along with opium. Are you saying all this history is wrong? I just want to make sure.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I don't think a teaching should stand or fall purely on it's basis in fact. Some teachings are rafts.

Teachings should be judged on their transformative value; and that is subjective.

What works for one, may not work for another.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    I don't think a teaching should stand or fall purely on it's basis in fact. Some teachings are rafts.

Teachings should be judged on their transformative value; and that is subjective.

What works for one, may not work for another.
    Well, yeah, since I don't practice Tibetan Buddhism, the authority of the teaching and how it fits into this Padmasambava veneration is only a matter of curiosity. You've got to admit that, for anyone who tries to study the history and variety of Buddhist beliefs, teachings like this certainly stand out as an extreme Buddhist practice.

The big question I have from the website is, since the name "tobacco" is certainly from the native Caribbean language, and many plants and herbs were smoked in lots of cultures for both their medical and mind altering properties, and the prophesies were certainly in either Tibetan or Chinese which had no word for tobacco until the sixteenth century...then who and how did these ancient writings refer to the plant we know and hate as tobacco?
  • ToshTosh Veteran

The big question I have from the website is, since the name "tobacco" is certainly from the native Caribbean language, and many plants and herbs were smoked in lots of cultures for both their medical and mind altering properties, and the prophesies were certainly in either Tibetan or Chinese which had no word for tobacco until the sixteenth century...then who and how did these ancient writings refer to the plant we know and hate as tobacco?
    Yeh, we all know tobacco is an American plant, introduced to the rest of the World by Columnbus (the gimp).

Though a few years ago, scientists got a bit of a shock when they discovered nicotine in the bodies of Egyptian mummies, but it later transpired that these mummies were faked; they were recent creations, made to sell in a Victorian market - eager for this kinda stuff.

But as I say, if the teaching is believed and someone abstains or stops smoking, it's not such a bad thing, is it?
  • enkoenko Explorer
    Rapid loss of vitue? Disturbing emotions? Blocks birth in any heaven? From a demons womb you say?

This kind of superstituous clap trap is as disturbing as the christians and their firey pits of hell etc

I will go with it is unhealthy, smells and highly addictive.
  • The Buddha or second Buddha Padmasambava who introduced Tantric Buddhism into Tibet never lies. Check out the website www.dudjom-on-smoking.org. Many many Tibetan Lamas speak of the spiritual destruction of tobacco. It origniated far before colunbus etc. Give it up I recited 10 million Vajrasattva mantras(which is not a lot compared to some reciters) and experimented with tobacco after cleansing myself. It brough repeatadly a very negative thought pattern and spirit in my chest area each time I really inhaled. It comes from the deceased corpse of a Chinese Demoness. But not saying all chinese are evil.
  • Yes the tantric teachings of Buddha as his emanation as PadmasambavaGuru Rinpoche(known as the second Buddha) really forbid the use of tobacco. It blocks the channels and many Tibetan lamas do not allow it to be smoked during teachings or even on their property. I have a webpage on a Vajrakilaya text that I copied(Vajrakilaya is the yidam Padmasambava used primarily to bring Buddhism in its tantric form(Yidam diety practices etc) to tibet thus to our world as well, that states it is an extremely negative substance and if you smoke while trying to practice it will not work and your practice will not work for some time after you smoke as well. Tibetan Dr's such as The Dalai Lamas clinic in Dharamsala India DR Yeshi Donden have specific medicine prescribed to counter this effect for those that are trying to stop. Buddha said " Twelve years after I pass into nirvana a person will appear who is superior to everyone he will appear from a lutus flower in the lake danakosa this person is no different than me and will be superior to other emanations in the three times he will teach the vehickle of Buddhahood in one lifetime and will possess the name Padmasambava." Just don't smoke tobacco
    [Deleted User]