Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Best and worst books for and against the existence of God?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited March 2012 in Faith & Religion
I don't like to be one-sided, so my question is: what are the best books arguing for and against the existence of God? Or anything supernatural or faith-based for that matter?

Conversely, what are the worst books arguing for and against the existence of God?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The Bible is the best 'for'.
    'the God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins is the best 'against.
    As for the remainder, really, objectively, it's up to you....
  • Worst Against Existence of God:

God is Not Great

-I liked Hitchens but thought it was a rambling, somewhat incoherent book. I love most of his other writing.

Religion as a Natural Phenomenon

-Daniel Dennet's I found to be a bore. Interesting theory though.

Best Against Existence of God:

Origin of Species and Descent of Man

-Darwin wasn't writing them intentionally against the idea of a creator by any means, but at least in my opinion, evolution seems to crumble the edifice of theism. I respect that many theists accept it and hybridize their religion with evolution, but I can't quite see it myself.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    One of the grandaddies of such works was done by Will and Ariel Durant. Durant was famous for saying something along the lines of "If God did not exist, man would have invented him," although I have also seen that attributed to Voltaire, but it was Durant who was more popularly read in the early 1900s.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Why the interest, @DaftChris?
    Really, the point is to try to avoid discussions with others that would bring us into conflict, and awaken resentment and aggression in others.
    Peoples' faiths are theirs to practice as they wish, and while it's a good thing to digest different arguments and adopt an equilateral point of view, it's best to not accumulate this kind of information, if all you're going to do is beat people over their heads with it....

you know....? :)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    You might want to consider The Quantum and the Lotus, its generally about science and Buddhism but they do touch upon this subject especially in the 3rd chapter In Search of the Great Watchmaker.
  • I suggest classic philosophy such as Aristotle Plato 's Socrates....some Thomas Aquinas for extra dry fun time and ....ummm look into sacred geometry for the existence of god.