Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Dhammapada - Chapter 6 - The Wise v76 - 89

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited April 2006 in Philosophy
Sorry gang - I had some confusion on my last thread for this. I list Chapter 5 (The Fool) as Chapter 4... again. We already had a chapter 4. My bad.

The Wise
Translated from the Pali by
Acharya Buddharakkhita
Alternate translation: Buddharakkhita Thanissaro

76. Should one find a man who points out faults and who reproves, let him follow such a wise and sagacious person as one would a guide to hidden treasure. It is always better, and never worse, to cultivate such an association.

77. Let him admonish, instruct and shield one from wrong; he, indeed, is dear to the good and detestable to the evil.

78. Do not associate with evil companions; do not seek the fellowship of the vile. Associate with the good friends; seek the fellowship of noble men.

79. He who drinks deep the Dhamma lives happily with a tranquil mind. The wise man ever delights in the Dhamma made known by the Noble One (the Buddha).

80. Irrigators regulate the rivers; fletchers straighten the arrow shaft; carpenters shape the wood; the wise control themselves.

81. Just as a solid rock is not shaken by the storm, even so the wise are not affected by praise or blame.

82. On hearing the Teachings, the wise become perfectly purified, like a lake deep, clear and still.

83. The good renounce (attachment for) everything. The virtuous do not prattle with a yearning for pleasures. The wise show no elation or depression when touched by happiness or sorrow.

84. He is indeed virtuous, wise, and righteous who neither for his own sake nor for the sake of another (does any wrong), who does not crave for sons, wealth, or kingdom, and does not desire success by unjust means.

85. Few among men are those who cross to the farther shore. The rest, the bulk of men, only run up and down the hither bank.

86. But those who act according to the perfectly taught Dhamma will cross the realm of Death, so difficult to cross.

87-88. Abandoning the dark way, let the wise man cultivate the bright path. Having gone from home to homelessness, let him yearn for that delight in detachment, so difficult to enjoy. Giving up sensual pleasures, with no attachment, let the wise man cleanse himself of defilements of the mind.

89. Those whose minds have reached full excellence in the factors of enlightenment, who, having renounced acquisitiveness, rejoice in not clinging to things — rid of cankers, glowing with wisdom, they have attained Nibbana in this very life.

-bf

Comments

• edited April 2006
    I've been writing up the Dhammapada in a little book from a different online resource. Firstly because I would like to have at least one third of the tripikata on me when I'm travelling or waiting for some reason. Secondly because I find the actually process of writing the words down a good way to really investigate what is being said as apposed to just reading the words.

Of the 150 or so verses I've written down The Wise chapter really spoke to me on a level beyond verbal communication.

Well done Buddhafoot for making these texts available for Sangha members.

Gassho!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    You know, that's a good idea, BSF.

Writing things down just adds another level of attention one pays to what they are reading. Might help cement things a bit more in one's life.

I thought this chapter was very .... heartening. The chapter of the fool wisely details what happens when we choose the path of foolishness.

While this chapter points out the praises of the wise or those that seek the truth.

Not that you don't know this already - but I thought it was positive reinforcement instead of just dwelling on what NOT to do.

-bf