Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

More Blood Shed in Afghanistan News

Omar067Omar067 Veteran
edited March 2012 in General Banter
I've just watched the news and this news is not good news. It has been confirmed that the United States has somehow burned Muslim holy books. The Muslims in Afghanistan are out raged by this and has already killed nine U.S officers. This terrible mistake or not a mistake will cause more anti-American protest and bloodshed. For all Buddhists, do you think the Afghanistan protests is justified by this? How should Americans try to make peace with outraged people right now?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Is this another incident, or the one we have been talking about for days?
  • Another incident.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Omar, are you sure this isn't the story that broke about a week ago? President Obama apologized. There was supposed to be an investigation into the matter. It's hard to believe someone would be stupid enough to repeat the mistake. Although...anything's possible, I guess. Anyway, we had a thread on it.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Omar, I think this is the incident that happened several days ago. I see nothing about more burning of Korans on any of the news services.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Can someone help Omar find that thread? Maybe he missed it. One of the members explained what was behind the incident.
  • Well it did get ugly though... A US soldier lost it and went on a killing rampage, killing random Afghans :(
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Well it did get ugly though... A US soldier lost it and went on a killing rampage, killing random Afghans :(
    Oh no! I didn't hear that! Nobody stopped him? That's awful! :zombie: :sawed:
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    It's time to go home.
  • Shame on the US soliders who burnt the holy book, that is pure ignorance and hatred. Yes okay, the people who got killed on the US side, that is of course sad news, to those involved and the families the most. But these people know what they are letting themselves in for. Also, what about all the people in Afghanistan that you never hear of that die innocently, natives you never hear of because your news and your government does not want you to know...
  • I dont believe hatred had anything to do with the book burning Tom, just ignorance... Ignorance should not be a justification for killing anyone. Afghans killed innocent Americans, and a US soldier targeted and killed innocent Afghans, that is where the hatred is. Normally innocent Afghans are not the target, this particular soldier clearly operated outside of his chain of command and will be held responsible for his actions.

I do hear stories of innocent Afghans and Americans being killed, and we still have free press that do not mind painting a bad picture of our stay there, and our govt can't stop them... I think a lot of that coverage is missed because our news correspondents are afraid they would be killed by the Afghans if they wandered freely, and they are probably right.
  • So ask 100 soilders if they hate the quoran in confidence and see what you may find. What about all those videos where they abused muslims.. I think hatred does come into the picture personally. Ignorance does for sure, but ignorance can easily breed hatred or maybe anger is a better word.
  • The Korans were being used and defaced by the Taliban to transmit messages in prisons about assassinations and bombings. The books were confiscated and burned. When word got out, th riots started. It speaks ill of the culture of Afghand that they react that way. And it speaks ill of us that we hold them to such a low moral standard. I agree though...we should not be there.
  • So ask 100 soilders if they hate the quoran in confidence and see what you may find. What about all those videos where they abused muslims.. I think hatred does come into the picture personally. Ignorance does for sure, but ignorance can easily breed hatred or maybe anger is a better word.
    I worked with a 100 soldiers in Iraq, helping them prep for their operations. I saw pride and some fear, but not the hate you seem to be envisioning. There was no desire to kill Iraqis, just to capture the bomb builders, suppliers and financiers. The missions were not carried out by kicking in doors with guns blaring like the media may portray, extra care was taken to not shoot first, and protect the innocent.

The chaplain had bibles and qurans sitting out in the open for anyone to take... I took one myself and read some out of curiosity. To be honest, I don't know what I did with it when I left... I know I didn't burn it, but I did treat it like any other book. When your in camp, surrounded by fellow Americans, you don't think about laws and customs of the country you are in, there is no one there to force them upon you. There is training on how to act when you leave the base, but that applies when your outside... So I can understand the mindset of someone treating the quran like a bible or any other book, not expecting the folks outside with their laws and rules to impact the life in the American camp... It's an ignorance helped by the comfort provided by being sheltered by the influences outside the fence.
  • And there is no reason is should be treated deferentially by non-Muslims. I have all sorts of holy books in my library, and don't treat any of them differently. More than likely, they're under a bunch of other books in alphabetical order. Since I find none of them holy to me, I don't show and deference. I'm sure some would be offended by that, but that's their perogative.