Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why Buddhism is BETTER than Science.

VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
edited March 2012 in Philosophy
Al right. Yee who make it through this text. Have in mind I am a theravada buddhist speaking my opinion.

Most people when comparing Sience and Buddhism tend to validate Buddhism through the eyes of Science. This is not the rational thing to do. When comparing two systems it is obivious that one will turn out short of the other if the one is validated using the validation criteria of the other!

What I am saying is it is most people try to evaluate the stone with the criteria of the apple. Of course the stone will fall short. Stones can not be eaten. But doing the opposite the apple falls short. You can not build a house using apples! And now to the gist of it.

1. Buddhism explains the Path to end Suffering Science does not.

The foremost reason why Buddhism is better is becasue it describes a very good way to end suffering. Sciense does not That is not the goal of Science. (Note how the comparison between apples and stones play out here!)

2. Truth in Buddhism
Thruth in buddhism is much more clearly defined.

A truth in Buddhism is what you are yourself convinced is the truth. Nothing else!
A truth in Science is what others have told you is the truth. Blind faith in authority is required!

If somebody says I am lying on this account then think about how many know the proof that the earth is round. Most people does not have a clue. Still they BELIEVE that it is because scientist,books and school tells you so.

The Dhamma is supposed to be tested. When advancing along it you grow more and more confident that it works because every step is described and can be tested by most anybody. Knowleadge is supposed to grow through personal experience. All parts of the Path is supposed to be validated in this way up to the very 'end'.

In science this is not so. The knowleadge is so vast that even accomplished scientist have to have Faith in the findings of their peers without testing it! On the contrary to Buddhism a hypothesis is considered to be true if sufficient people have tested it. After which time it is not tested any more. Until the Hypothesis is replaced by a new one. Many times in science a 'truth' proven in this way has later turned out to be wrong.

3. Objectivity.
There was an argument on this forum that Buddhism is not Science since the practises of Buddhism can not be objectively tested by 'any two people' since the methods of Buddhism are so advanced that not everybody can develop the mental tools needed to do 'all' practises.

But this is wrong. Since that would disqualify Particle Science as a science as well. Since no 'any' two people can duplicate each others findings in that field either.

First of all you need a pretty extensive education. Then you need a Particle accelerator. The only difference between Buddhism and Science here is that in Buddhism you have to build your own tools. A particle Accelerator you can have somebody else build it for you. But if the scientist sonducting the experimets had to build the accelerator himself from scratch I bet there would be a lot less findings in the Particle Science field.

Furthermore in science there is no objective way to quantify Objectivity. More or less. Science does not know what the heck it is speaking about.

Where as Buddhisms core is the very definition of Objectivity. An undisputable definition of the objective is found in the Center Buddhism. Namley Nibbana. Everything else is built around it.

Thank you for your patience.

/Victor

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I keep would like to keep myself outside of this debate (I don't think comparing science and Buddhism makes much sense), but here is something interesting for you:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=6,3895,0,0,1,0
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    A great example of Buddhist Fundies.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited March 2012
    A great example of Buddhist Fundies.
    A great example of a retort from a Science Fundie...

If you have nothing relevant to say. Then please say nothing.

/Victor
    :coffee:
    I don't think comparing science and Buddhism makes much sense.
    Ssshh.
    :p

Thanks for the link.

/Victor
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    the two are similar, but incomparable.

one is science, the other is a philosophical religion.
    or a religious philosophy... take your pick.
  • First off, why must Buddhism and science be at odds with one another? Can't one exist with the other?
    As you mentioned, the purpose of science is not to end suffering. This point is void.
    2. Truth in Buddhism

A truth in Buddhism is what you are yourself convinced is the truth. Nothing else!
    A truth in Science is what others have told you is the truth. Blind faith in authority is required!
    Absolutely far from reality. "Truth" is very clearly defined and there is no blind faith in science.

A "truth" (or a fact, a theory, a law) cannot be accepted unless it can be PROVEN true and the experiment can be replicated and the same results occur.
    3. Objectivity.
    Furthermore in science there is no objective way to quantify Objectivity. More or less. Science does not know what the heck it is speaking about.

Where as Buddhisms core is the very definition of Objectivity. An undisputable definition of the objective is found in the Center Buddhism. Namley Nibbana. Everything else is built around it.
    I can't think of anything more objective than science itself. There's bias in politics, in religions, in philosophies, etc. However, science is the one thing that is based in reality and sets out to explain that reality using indisputable methods that come to a conclusion. These conclusions can be replicated again, and again.

By no means am I seeking to take anything way from Buddhism, but to use Buddhism to take away from science is ridiculous. Science doesn't strive to "disprove" or take anything way from Buddhism. Science merely explains what it can.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Does Buddhism tells us about Quantum Theory? Does Buddhism tell us on how we became the humans today? Does Buddhism tells how how the universe started?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
    First off, why must Buddhism and science be at odds with one another? Can't one exist with the other?
    Of course they can and they do.
    As you mentioned, the purpose of science is not to end suffering. This point is void.
    No it is not void since I (contrary to everyone else) is comparing Buddhism and Science through the eyes of Buddhism and its values.
    2. Truth in Buddhism

Absolutely far from reality. "Truth" is very clearly defined and there is no blind faith in science.

A "truth" (or a fact, a theory, a law) cannot be accepted unless it can be PROVEN true and the experiment can be replicated and the same results occur.
    But can you then prove to me right now without google that the world is round? Or is that mearly a fundamentalistic BELIEF of yours?
    3. Objectivity.

I can't think of anything more objective than science itself. There's bias in politics, in religions, in philosophies, etc. However, science is the one thing that is based in reality and sets out to explain that reality using indisputable methods that come to a conclusion. These conclusions can be replicated again, and again.
    I think you lack basic knowleadge of science theory. Conclusions are not 'true' because they can be replicated again and again. A Hypothesis is more true than an other Hypothesis because an experiment says so. So all truth in Science is relative. You dig?

By no means am I seeking to take anything way from Buddhism, but to use Buddhism to take away from science is ridiculous. Science doesn't strive to "disprove" or take anything way from Buddhism. Science merely explains what it can.
    I am not taking away anything from Science. It has already been done to death by others. I am mearly pointing this out.

/Victor

Does Buddhism tells us about Quantum Theory? Does Buddhism tell us on how we became the humans today? Does Buddhism tells how how the universe started?
    Buddhism tells us a lot about quantum theory. It has just been overseen. Quantum theory would benefit greatly if it took to heart the Buddhist concept of Karma.

Just think about the maxim 'The observer changing the observed'. That has been common knowleadge in Buddhism since 2500 years. Not to speak about the laws of thermodynamics. (Anicca). Which are also relevant in quantum.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
    That makes no sense what so ever. Nothing is true if nobody believes it is true.

/Victor
  • patbbpatbb Veteran

i have to disagree.

The deep meditations are an exploration of human consciousness.
    Realizing the truth about ourselves.

Just like chemistry is an exploration of the chemical world.
    realizing the truth about the chemical world.

If we think of Buddhism only as a religion or philosophy, we miss the personal realizations, the progress on the path and enlightenment.

Relosophy.

:thumbsup:
  • B5CB5C Veteran

That makes no sense what so ever. Nothing is true if nobody believes it is true.

/Victor
    It does. Science is based on evidence. A good example is evolution. Evolution is an fact. Yet, a good number of people choice not to believe in evolution.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    Does chemistry tell us about the big bang?
    Does zoology tell us about dark matter?

If you understand meditation, you understand the type of research you are doing with it.
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
    The truths you observe with meditation are true whether or not you believe in it.
    otherwise they wouldn't be truth.
  • Just read the title of the OP... and thought "will not be reading a single post" :banghead:
  • B5CB5C Veteran

If you understand meditation, you understand the type of research you are doing with it.

The truths you observe with meditation are true whether or not you believe in it.
    Prove to me how meditation will give me all the answers of the Universe. I guess modern science is all wrong. Why we all needed was meditation.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    It does. Science is based on evidence. A good example is evolution. Evolution is an fact. Yet, a good number of people choice not to believe in evolution.
    meditation and the truths of Buddism are based on evidence as well.

as an example:
    Observing every single moment of consciousness arising, many times per second, is something you directly observe from which you can base your hypothesis...
    You'll come up with something along the line of: well, as far as i could see, it would seem that anatta is true. Might not be, but it is very likely to be from what i've seen.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    What occurs during meditative contemplation in a tradition such as Buddhism and what occurs during introspection in the ordinary sense are two quite different things. In the context of Buddhism, introspection is employed with careful attention to the dangers of extreme subjectivism - such as fantasies and delusions - and with the cultivation of a disciplined state of mind. Refinement of attention, in terms of stability and vividness, is a crucial preparation for the utilization of rigorous introspection, much as a telescope is crucial for the detailed examination of celestial phenomena. Just as in science, there is a series of protocols and procedures which contemplative introspection must employ. Upon entering a laboratory, someone untrained in science would not know what to look at, would have no capacity to recognize when something is found; in the same way, an untrained mind will have no ability to apply the introspective focus on a chosen object and will fail to recongnize when processes of the mind show themselves. Just like a trained scientist, a disciplined mind will have the knowledge of what to look for and the ability to recognize when discoveries are made.

HHDL The Universe in a Single Atom p.136

• B5CB5C Veteran

as an example:
    Observing every single moment of consciousness arising, many times per second, is something you directly observe from which you can base your hypothesis...
    You'll come up with something along the line of: well, as far as i could see, it would seem that anatta is true. Might not be, but it is very likely to be from what i've seen.
    That is not evidence. That is a claim.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran

Prove to me how meditation will give me all the answers of the Universe. I guess modern science is all wrong. Why we all needed was meditation.
    what?

Buddhism will not give you the answer to the universe, like the history of this universe, that is not it's purpose.
    Just like it's not the purpose of zoology to tell you the answers of the universe.
    But because the field of it's research isn't the answer of the universe, it doesn't mean it isn't a science.

Deep meditation will allow you to observe the deepest truth of yourself, of consciousness, and realize their nature.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

/Victor
    During Galeleis time it was a Fact that the earth was Flat. Because people believed it.
    That was because of Christianity.

During the time of Aristotle it was a Fact that the earth did not revolve around its axis.
    That was due to a Scientific experiment conducted at the time...

When you understand what a Fact is and what evidence is you will understand why your argument is void. I think I have explained this to you before.

Oh yes and the concept of evolution has more or less been buried. Brush up.

/Victor
  • patbbpatbb Veteran

as an example:
    That is not evidence. That is a claim.
    it something that you observe, the subject of your studies.

zoology observe animals, physic observe particle colliding, Buddhism observe the mind.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

/Victor
    Just read the title of the OP... and thought "will not be reading a single post" :banghead:
    Gotch ya.

:clap:

Never underestimate the Dark Side....
    edited March 2012
    @B5C
    thank you. Very convincing. As always your arguments are to the point and relevant.

/Victor

• patbbpatbb Veteran

/Victor
    yeah this is silly.

Evolution is a real, can we forget victorious ever mention this?

you're killing the credibility of our position victorious!!
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Buddhism – the way I see it – is not a dogmatic belief system. It’s an attempt to describe reality.
    And that makes it not so different from science.

There is a difference though in focus. Buddhism – as you point out – is only interested in understanding reality as far as liberation from suffering is concerned. It is practical.
    It’s best compared with medical science.
    Medical science has changed through the ages and improved a lot. Buddhism has to change too, or it will become (or should I say remain) irrelevant.
  • As you mentioned, the purpose of science is not to end suffering. This point is void.
    No it is not void since I (contrary to everyone else) is comparing Buddhism and Science through the eyes of Buddhism and its values.
    And yet you speak of objectivity. How can you be objective if you are looking through the eyes of a perspective?

But can you then prove to me right now without google that the world is round? Or is that mearly a fundamentalistic BELIEF of yours?
    :skeptic: Sure, walk towards the horizon. When you reach it, you can stop.

There are ways to prove the Earth is round. One way is to view it from space, which has been done. The belief that the world is round has been around far longer than NASA has, there are ways to prove it.

I think you lack basic knowleadge of science theory. Conclusions are not 'true' because they can be replicated again and again. A Hypothesis is more true than an other Hypothesis because an experiment says so. So all truth in Science is relative. You dig?

A theory is based on a hypothesis that has been proven to be true. There is no evidence to dispute it.

This is right but absence of proof isn't proof of absence. So going back to some old Buddhist cosmology about the sun revolving around the earth or mount meru at the center of the world with the earth as the southern continent are all now rejected in Buddhism.
    No really guys.

Evolution like all other Fields of Science is changing. That is the nature of Science. New findings change the understanding we have of nature.

Science of Evolution has changed pretty much from the time it set of. No it is not dead of course not but like the Ego it is no longer what it used to be.

It is better to speak of the Mutual Evolution of species than the Evolution of Species.

/Victor

And yet you speak of objectivity. How can you be objective if you are looking through the eyes of a perspective?
    We are all looking through a subjective view called the Ego. when the Ego has no power to shape the view there is only the objective left. That is Nibbana.

What I was a saying when writing about the apples and stones comparison is that people tend to evaluate one thing through the eyes of another thing. we are all biased. I am only shifting the Focus...

:skeptic: Sure, walk towards the horizon. When you reach it, you can stop.

There are ways to prove the Earth is round. One way is to view it from space, which has been done. The belief that the world is round has been around far longer than NASA has, there are ways to prove it.
    That is not the point. Are you convinced that the earth is round because YOU KNOW it is or because you believe the second hand information of others?

What is true knowleadge? Buddhism says one thing and Science says another.

A theory is based on a hypothesis that has been proven to be true. There is no evidence to dispute it.

Until another hypothesis emerges that disputes the former... That is how science evolves.

The earth used to be flat until it was round.

/Victor
    Does Buddhism tell us on how we became the humans today? Does Buddhism tells how how the universe started?

Yes and yes. The answer is the same to both questions actually.

The world arises in the Six sense bases Exists in the six sense bases and Dies in the six sense bases.

Pretty neat.

/Victor

• When I first began studying and practicing Buddhism, I was struck by how it avoided trying to be either science or religion, but transcended both and filled in a lot of gaps that I saw.
  • edited March 2012
    Something is not true because we can prove it; we can prove it because it is true. I believe there are additional truths that have not yet been proven.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Yes!

Each is significant, but the two are very different.

To the OP, you're a bit off target when it comes to defining science. A scientific fact is one that has been proven, and will turn out the same every time no matter who does it...providing they conduct a valid experiment. No, each person doesn't re-experiment with every scientific fact. Yes, simply because of the volume of information in science, we rely on journals and articles and texts. But still, if we wanted to do the experiments again, they would turn out the same...IF it is scientific fact. Of course there is theory. And that's different.

/Victor
    You have to be a little careful here, because while evolution is fact, not all aspects of evolution are fully understood.

/Victor
    During Galeleis time it was a Fact that the earth was Flat. Because people believed it.
    That was because of Christianity.

During the time of Aristotle it was a Fact that the earth did not revolve around its axis.
    That was due to a Scientific experiment conducted at the time...

When you understand what a Fact is and what evidence is you will understand why your argument is void. I think I have explained this to you before.

/Victor
    No, facts do not change (at least the types your talking about...e.g., the earth was never flat).

No, evolution has not been buried. Certain parts of the theory have evolved and changed over time as man has gathered more and more evidence to study.

• I don't have my copy on me right now, but doesn't the Dalai Lama mention science in How to Practice? I seem to remember he does, and that he finds the overlapping and intersecting discourses of Buddhism and science sometimes very compatible with one another.

I agree with the majority that the two are very different and can't really be compared, but I remember reading his thoughts and opening my eyes to how there is a lot of scientific research on ancient Buddhist practices - e.g. mindfulness, meditation, metta.
  • Look a straw man!! Beat it!!
  • Why compare stones and apples?

Two different subjects with two different goals. No further investigation is needed.

As for the claim that science is based on blind faith because certain findings cannot be proven by an individual instantaneously is just silly.

According to such logic, you can convince yourself that you only BELIEVE other people exist or not because you cannot directly observe their experience.

asinine.

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    What is better? Orange ir white?
    One is a tool like a hammer.
    Other is like a boat to cross a river.

Is you ask me, both are fine.
    Science deals with that aspect of reality and human experience that lends itself to a particular method of inquiry susceptible to empirical observation, quantification and measurement, repeatability, and intersubjective verification - more than one person has to be able to say, "Yes, I saw the same thing. I got the same results." So legitimate scientific study is limited to the physical world, including the human body, astronomical bodies, measurable energy, and how structures work. The empirical findings generated in this way form the basis for further experimentation and for generalizations that can be incorporated into the wider body of scientific knowledge. This is effectively the current paradigm of what constitutes science. Clearly, this paradigm does not and cannot exhaust all aspects of reality, in particular the nature of human existence. In addition to the objective world of matter, which science is masterful at exploring, there exists the subjective world of feeling, emotions, thoughts, and the values and spiritual aspirations based on them. If we treat this realm as though it had no constitutive roll in our understanding of reality, we lose the richness of our own existence and our understanding cannot be comprehensive. Reality, including our own existence, is so much more complex than objective scientific materialism allows.

HHDL The Universe in a Single Atom p.38-39

To the OP, you're a bit off target when it comes to defining science. A scientific fact is one that has been proven, and will turn out the same every time no matter who does it...providing they conduct a valid experiment. No, each person doesn't re-experiment with every scientific fact. Yes, simply because of the volume of information in science, we rely on journals and articles and texts. But still, if we wanted to do the experiments again, they would turn out the same...IF it is scientific fact. Of course there is theory. And that's different.

No a fact is NOT the same every time because the method to test and its premisis change over time.

Something is a Fact because people agree that it is. There is no other criteria.

It is commenly known that through scientific experiment the hypothesis that the earth revolves around its own axis was DISAPPROVED by the ancient Greeks. And the fact that earth did not revolved could be tested by anybody using an experiment.
    Because their understanding of Science (physics in that case) was so different from todays understanding.

Think about what Physics will be at in a decade. All the Facts, as you say, that we hold so dear today might or might not be a fact tomorrow.

/Victor

No, facts do not change (at least the types your talking about...e.g., the earth was never flat).
    In the minds of the majority of people at one time in history it was a fact that the earth was flat. That is all that matters the rest is hearsay.

No, evolution has not been buried. Certain parts of the theory have evolved and changed over time as man has gathered more and more evidence to study.

I was exaggerating a tiny bit. :). What you say is true.
  • edited March 2012
    Something is a Fact because people agree that it is. There is no other criteria.
    So, since most of the world believes in a God, God's existence is a fact?

whut.

According to such logic, you can convince yourself that you only BELIEVE other people exist or not because you cannot directly observe their experience.

Not exactly, but a good start. It is called Anatta!

So, since most of the world believes in a God, God's existence is a fact?

whut.
    For many people existance of Spirits and Ghosts and Gods is not questioned. They live their lives as if these beings existed. For that group of people it is a fact.

/Victor
  • Something is a Fact because people agree that it is. There is no other criteria.
    So, since most of the world believes in a God, God's existence is a fact? whut.
    For many people existance of Spirits and Ghosts and Gods is not questioned. They live their lives as if these beings existed. For that group of people it is a fact.
    Yes. They THINK it is fact. But that does not mean it is actually a fact.
    Many people here discuss Facts as if they had a intrinsic value of truth all by themselves without the inerference of the human mind.

This is superstition.

On the contrary Buddhism explaines that intrinsic value is created by the Human mind. Again it is called Anatta.

/Victor
  • edited March 2012
    :hrm:

k then.