Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

my positive step today

AMHAMH
edited March 2012 in Diet & Habits
I am working on putting a LOT more fresh foods, especially vegetables since I cannot digest fruit, into my diet. My schedule is also craaazy in a good way right now. So I got vegetables that I scramble with eggs so I am adding vegetables in the morning too and tonight I am cutting them up and bagging them so in the morning I can quickly make my healthy breakfast without an excuse. I got zuchinni, yellow squash, onion, green pepper and spinach.

Today I even brought a salad with grilled chicken in it. Tasty and more filling than a lot of lunches.

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I love fresh veggies. Tonight for dinner, I had steamed asparagus (lightly sauteed with a little salt), and garlic hummus with pita. Well, then I had a granola bar and shredded wheat with almond milk... but I sort of just keep eating whenever I'm home because I'm a snacker. The main meal really was the asparagus because I love it. :)

Good for you AMH. I need to learn to plan ahead...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Salads with chicken or turkey are very quick, easy and nutritious.

Artichokes! Don't forget artichokes, you guys. If they're too expensive, cut the jumbo ones in half, and just have half at a time.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    The main meal really was the asparagus because I love it. :)
    Asparagus is very easy to grow, though you've got to be patient; it takes about 3 years before you can get your first crop. I love it too; it's expensive in the UK; so I grow a wadge of it in my garden. This is the forth year for my crop, I've fed it, and I'm looking forward to a bumper harvest.

Apologies to take this slightly off topic.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited March 2012
    The main meal really was the asparagus because I love it. :)
    Asparagus is very easy to grow, though you've got to be patient; it takes about 3 years before you can get your first crop. I love it too; it's expensive in the UK; so I grow a wadge of it in my garden. This is the forth year for my crop, I've fed it, and I'm looking forward to a bumper harvest.

Apologies to take this slightly off topic.

My grandfather owned an asparagus farm in Northern Michigan. I'd spend much of my summers there growing up. :) It's weird to be surrounded by something your whole life and then suddenly realize that asparagus isn't super common. We always had fresh, and if not fresh, then jarred, and if not jarred... then pickled (my favorite), lol. But these days, whenever I see it in the stores, I feel compelled to pick up a bunch.

Artichokes! Don't forget artichokes, you guys. If they're too expensive, cut the jumbo ones in half, and just have half at a time.
    I... have no idea what to do with artichokes. lol. Help?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Cut off the stem and the tips of the leaves, cutting about 1" - 1-1/2" below the top. Boil for 45 mins, until the leaves come off easily when you pull. Dip bottom of leaves in mayo and eat the soft, thick part. Work your way to the heart. When there's only the heart left, scoop out the fuzzy part. Cut heart into pieces and dip in mayo and eat. The heart is the best part. You can also boil or steam them with garlic cloves tucked into the leaves. And you can make your own dip out of lemon juice and olive oil, or other ingredients to taste.
  • I do melted butter, garlic and lemon juice, tasty
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    @AMH Thanks, yeah, I forgot to mention garlic with the oil and lemon juice.

So what do you do, melt the butter, then add the rest? I'll try that.
    Ah, that sounds so good! I will have to try this. :) Although, I'm not a mayo fan so I'll have to go with the butter/garlic/lemon juice one. Or maybe olive oil instead of butter though... hm. I like olive oil when it's seasoned right.
    Thanks you guys :)