Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

UNWANTED 'SEARCH' BAR.....

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited April 2006 in NewBuddhist.com
I wonder if anyone could help me out here...

This seems to only happen when I try to write e-mails or messages through the Modzilla Firefox server, not through Microsoft internet explorer....

I occasionally want to abbreviate words like "I am" to "I'm" or "I have", to "I've"... That kind of thing.... And blow me, it's not happening now... But occasionally, at random, when I punch the apostrophe key, instead of being able to continue, I get a search bar popping up at the bottom of my screen....

It's happened here, on this forum, whilst I was trying to type a post, and it happened on my yahoo message 'screen' whilst replying to a message I had received.....

I have no idea why it's random, rather than constant, and I have no idea how to disable the facility, because it makes typing messages long-winded and irritating....
Any ideas as to why this happens, and how to stop it, anyone? VERY FRUSTRATING!

Comments

• edited April 2006
    How to Fix the Find-As-You-Type Bug in Firefox

I think this might be of some use.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I never went so far as to look for a fix - I jus shut down my current instance of Firefox and started another one.

But, I've noticed this happening in the past and it's a pain in the butt.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    ZenMonk....That's brilliant.... I'll be sure to note if it works soon, but clever you...Thank you so much!!
    The page describres my problem absolutely,a nd I'm sure the fix will work!!

BF...try it...if I can do it, you sure as heck can!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    oooops.... I spoke too soon.....:grumble:

BF...How do I start a new MF page without losing all my bookmarked items, please?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Freddie,

I'm not sure what you mean.

When you have Firefox running and you bookmark something, the bookmark stays with the config files and such for Firefox.

When I close down my current "instance" of Firefox, I simply meant that I click on the X in the upper right hand corner and restart Firefox.

That was all.

-bf
    edited April 2006
    Ah. That simple. You see...? I told you I was a technical fudgewit... I thought you meant remove and then re-install firefox.....:buck:

The host of the page ZM pasted the link to has posted a long reply on other suggestions. Once I've deciphered it and worked out exactly what the hell he's talking about, I'll let you know......:confused:

(Used abbreviations and apostrophes in the above message... The find and search bar didn't show..... Go figure - !!:-/ )