Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi and the art of perfecting your craft

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Awesome article as usual, Brian. This is probably a lesson I should work on learning...
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    I work in construction. Housing to be specific. I rarely get to see a true craftsman anymore, but when I do I have to stop and watch. There is something truly amazing about someone who can perform a task and make it look so easy and make it look like art all at the same time. I admire true skill and dedication.

In my work, electrical, I strive for the same. Some of my co-workers don't seem to care much as our work is soon covered up with sheetrock, but I want my work to be art. I want someone to remove the sheetrock years from now and admire the attention to detail. Or not. I did a job I am proud of and that is all that really matters.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    As a person who is renovating a 113-year-old home, I can say this:

What you do may not be appreciated now, but it will be. Every single thing we uncover during the renovation makes us have renewed respect for the anonymous craftsmen that built the home. 113 years later, everything is still sound and solid as a rock. Beautiful work. And to stand there and think that everything around us was built by hand, with hand tools, from hardwood carried in by horses is just breathtaking.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I could watch this film for hours and never tire of seeing the craftsmanship.... it's just breathtaking... It combines everything I'm passionate about...Japanese culture and tradition, food, and personal excellence and inner peace. for surely, you cannot have a mind in turmoil, while you craft something so perfect.... the craft itself is mind-filling... and mind-emptying....

There was a film some time ago, centering on the food in the Japanese lunch boxes two sisters took to school.... can anyone remember what it was?
    That too, centred on the exquisite Japanese craft of food preparation.... How good are the Japanese at creating such films?
    This film was created by an American! :p
  • Today is sushi. Tommorow is feces. Perfection.
    Deepankarnlighten
  • Great entry. Thanks Brian.
  • Perfection is the path of death.

Emptiness is the path of life.

Nirvana is never perfect but empty.
    Deepankar
  • Brian, I enjoyed your post. This is my first time to this site, and yours being the first article I've read — impressive writing. I'm eager to see the film based on your take on it. It sounds like there are many LIFE lessons to be learned and much I will walk away thinking about...which is what I really dig.

And btw, I agree with the comment directly above mine (from Chiong), but also see that in the way you describe Jiro, much can be learned about one's passion in his pursuit to live his purpose.

Thank you,
    Leslie
    DeepankarBrian
    Thank you for the kind words, @lesliegreen :)
  • I never post on such things, as I feel the expression of my opinion in this way negates whatever opinion I may hold, but I felt moved to say that I loved this film, and if anyone reading this is in two minds - watch it.
    lobster
  • Great film. Wonderful. A joy. An inspiration.
    And I am not just saying that as Lobster that likes raw fish . . . :)
    Deepankar
  • Seen it, loved it.
    sova
  • I'm spreading this around. It's very inspiring. I will search for that video.
    Deepankarsova
    It's on Netflix now if you have access to that.
  • This story makes me shudder.
  • Going with one's strengths ignoring one's weaknesses lacks upaya--"skillful means".
  • True humility seeks its own humiliation.
    nlighten