Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

new child ceremony

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I was wondering if Buddhism has a ceremony for a new child? I have a 2 1/2 year old. My husband was raised catholic and I was raised christian and we never had him baptised or christened. We chose not to because we felt that it was just an excuse to have a party and we had no spiritual connection to either religions any longer.
However we do have a connection to the Buddhist philosophy and believe in the teachings. I would love to do something for my sons 3rd birthday that is spiritual and symbolic of presenting him to the world. Does anyone know anything I can do?

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Come on no one knows a Buddhist ceremony for a new child? Even the lack of a ceremony would be a nice reply. Please give me some feed back. Thanks and good blessings, Abby
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Abaruby, you're right....but you know what? the weird thing is I have been trying to do some research before posting a reply.... and I can't find a thing!! maybe that's why nobody else (surprisingly) has posted either... but I'm keeping up the search... maybe you can get in touch with a 'Real' sangha -(Monastery, Temple) and ask them too, because this one really has me stumped - and I'm never usually speechless!! :lol:
  • edited May 2005
    Federica, Thank you so much for your active pursuit in trying to find an answer. I will try to contact a Sagha temple that is good advice. I cant seem to find anything either. I really hope there is one because I would imagine it to be very beautiful. Abby
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    I'll keep trying.... no problem.... and I'm sure that no-one else posting is just because everybody's fazed by this one.... you could maybe also, together with some (closer) Buddhist friends (I'm in France, I'd be there 'in spirit'!) construct a ceremony of your own, with the support of a local Buddhist sangha... you never know - you may start a trend.... ;):)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2005
    I know the temple that I go to, the Midwest Buddhist Meditation Center in Warren, MI, has performed a new child ceremony for one family in the sangha, but I don't know anything about it. I'll have to ask the monks.

So I guess the short answer is, "yes", but I don't know if it's a ceremony that is particular to Thai buddhists or what. I'll try to find out :)
  • edited May 2005
    abaruby wrote:
    Come on no one knows a Buddhist ceremony for a new child? Even the lack of a ceremony would be a nice reply. Please give me some feed back. Thanks and good blessings, Abby

Hello.

I am new to Buddhism myself and I don't know the answer to your question; I wish I could help. I looked but found nothing. There are no Buddhist monk temples here in Anderson, Indiana where I live. I even asked my Buddhist friends here with small children and they just said that they all got together and made up their own ceremony. We are all members of the Soka Gakkai International or SGI for short. We are of the Mayahana sect of Buddhism. We have one SGI Community center here and it is in Indianapolis, Indiana. What usually happens is that young children usually around 3 years and up to age 12 are considered in the Elementary division, after reaching the age of 13, these kids are considered in the Youth division. After attaining the age of majority, usually around age 18, these kids are then categorized in the young men's or young women's division.

Adiana :):)
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks everyone. Sorry I got so cross in my 2nd message I just had seen how many people read the post and no one was replying. I am going to ask my mediatation/zen buddhism class group next thurs. I will tell you all what I learn.
    edited May 2005
    a little bit of irritation goes a long way! I for one don't blame you....it was a productive fit of pique!! :lol: I look forward to finding out how your enquiries go.... should be good! :)
  • edited May 2005
    abaruby wrote:
    Thanks everyone. Sorry I got so cross in my 2nd message I just had seen how many people read the post and no one was replying. I am going to ask my mediatation/zen buddhism class group next thurs. I will tell you all what I learn.

I look forward to reading what you post about it. It promises to be interesting.

Adiana :D:lol:
  • edited May 2005
    Well I went to my first formal Dharma teaching last night. It was amazing. I have been reading books and studying and watching films with the Dalia Lama for months but having a connection to a real person when you are learning this beautiful religion is priceless.
    Anyway I asked the teacher like I said I would and she said that She has heard of blessings that are done. Her teacher (I think she is semi new) had done the blessing to his 2 nephews. I found out where he will be and am going to his Dharma lesson so I can find out all the detailes and mabe ask him to do it . In my quest for knowlege on this topic I found out about Change your mind day on June 4 in central park NYC 11:30-4:30. It is a day of meditation open to everyone with 7 presentors. www.tricycle.com Its seems worth the trip to NYC just for this!
  • edited May 2005
    abaruby wrote:
    Well I went to my first formal Dharma teaching last night. It was amazing. I have been reading books and studying and watching films with the Dalia Lama for months but having a connection to a real person when you are learning this beautiful religion is priceless.
    Anyway I asked the teacher like I said I would and she said that She has heard of blessings that are done. Her teacher (I think she is semi new) had done the blessing to his 2 nephews. I found out where he will be and am going to his Dharma lesson so I can find out all the detailes and mabe ask him to do it . In my quest for knowlege on this topic I found out about Change your mind day on June 4 in central park NYC 11:30-4:30. It is a day of meditation open to everyone with 7 presentors. www.tricycle.com Its seems worth the trip to NYC just for this!

Abaruby,

Good for you! I am glad that you found out about baby blessings. I also thank you for the website link. I am going to check it out. Change Your Mind Day---I bet that it is interesting! I am planning on going on vacation around that time---HMMM! LOL!

Adiana :lol::lol::lol:
    edited May 2005
    ZenLunatic has posted about Change Your Mind Day B4.... he'd like to organise one himself next year... I'd like to do similar here, but the phrase doesn't translate, or have the 'double meaning' buddhist-wise, it has in english.... I'll have to investigate and see if they operate a similar event over here, for us far-flung Fuddhists - !! ;)
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    It is good to demostrate examples of sincere generous giving and instilling the value of compassion and loving kindness during new birth and birthday.

There are excellent advices in Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva Sutra about what you are asking. Here is the link http://www.siddham.org/yuan_english/sutra/earth_index.html - It's lengthy.

cheers,
  • edited August 2005
    Thank you very much. I started to read them. It is very lengthy, but I am patient and always looking to learn.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    abaruby wrote:
    Thank you very much. I started to read them. It is very lengthy, but I am patient and always looking to learn.

I could not remember exactly which section it was. I'll let you know if I can find it. :)
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    abaruby wrote:

Chapter VI
  • edited August 2005
    So what I got from what I read was 7 days before the birth you are to do the chant to help cleanse the karma. How are you going to know when the baby is going to come? It is not very predictable. Can it be done after? Also can something be done when the child is older or is it to late?
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    abaruby wrote:
    So what I got from what I read was 7 days before the birth you are to do the chant to help cleanse the karma. How are you going to know when the baby is going to come? It is not very predictable. Can it be done after? Also can something be done when the child is older or is it to late?

It is within that 7 days not exactly 7 days before. It is common for Buddhist to chant daily.
    No, we cannot know when the baby is going to come.

Yes, you still can perform the ritual later and when the child is older. It is never too late. Chanting of the Earth Store Sutra with mindfullness will help. Let the enery flow in you while chanting. Or you may want to recite "Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva" or "Amitabha Buddha" name for 1000 times on his birthday or on the days that are closed. Going vegetarian on his birthday is another positive karmic action. Instil important value of giving to the poor, by you setting example, on his birthday is another extraordinary thing to do.

cheers,
  • edited August 2005
    Thank you very much : )
  • edited August 2005
    I found one resource that gives some details about a typical Tibetan naming/birth ceremony at www.tibetinfor.com.cn/english/culture/folk/customs/2.htm
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I do nothing, chant nothing, think nothing and join nothing. If I do have a child in the future, I don't think such rituals are of great importance. I was born without such stuff, for my parents were more like Taoists instead of Buddhists I feel, though their official religion is "BUDDHISM". But I'm not against anything. Just ensure that your child will not adopt the lousy attitude of most people have, I shall not mention specifically but I guess you can figure it out.

"I have my Lord who will forgive me and blah blah blah..." OK if this is racist moderators please delete this and I apologize for that. Just make sure your child is determined as a Buddhist.
    edited September 2005
    I found one resource that gives some details about a typical Tibetan naming/birth ceremony at www.tibetinfor.com.cn/english/culture/folk/customs/2.htm

Cannot for the life of me download the site completely....!*shame!*