Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is everyones thoughs on veggie/raw/vegan supplement shakes/substitutes?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited April 2012 in Diet & Habits
I am considering getting these. I have been doing research a bit, talking to friends, doctors and today I went to vitamin shoppe.

Here is a list of the ones I am thinking of trying:
http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Protein-Grams/dp/B0031JK96C
http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-RAW-Meal-2-6lb/dp/B0031JK95S/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Basics-Protein-Greens-20-5-Ounces/dp/B001EOKYHK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was also looking into herbal teas at vitamen shoppe and they have a variety of choices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. What about vitamins, memory pills and so on?

Thanks,
Leon

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Even on a "normal" vegetarian diet, you can meet almost all your daily protein requirements. Why are you interested in these particular protein supplements? What's wrong with whey protein? I'm not very read up on supplements.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    When I was younger, I used to weight lift and I use to consume protein shakes, but they did not work for me. I am also cutting down my consumption of meat products. In addition, one reason for drinking these drinks is due to time, ease and sometimes-financial supplement. I will add that most of these products pack all of the veggies/fruit into one single jar. I am hesitant; however, I do not mind trying. I just wanted to see if anyone has tried, heard or were interested in these supplements. Thank you for responding!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    What's wrong with whey protein?
    Leon mentioned recently something about dairy not working for him.

I looked at items #1 and #3. I couldn't get the "zoom" function to work, to take a closer look at ingredients on #1. #3 doesn't give a view of ingredients. #1 looked ok. How do you plan to take these, in water? Or in juice? Juice, of course, will add a lot of carbs, which for you, may be a good thing. Low-carb meals leave you hungry. If you're doing a complete low-carb diet (I doubt you need it), your body gets used to it after a week or 2, and you're no longer hungry. If it's just 1 meal/day you're using these for, adding juice (I guess you're not taking them with milk) would make it a filling meal.

Forget memory pills. You're 27! What do you need memory pills for?! :rolleyes: Wait until you're a geezer, then you can consider memory pills. Gingko biloba (the memory herb) isn't supposed to be taken long term anyway, it causes breakage of the capillaries.

• Just stick with things you can pull out of the ground and pick off the vine...no supplements at your age.

Do you wanna keep those kidneys clean? Or go to dialysis three times a week?

Try some herbal tea..."traditional medicinal "is a good brand...but it doesn't guarantee you anything! It's just good tea.

How is the sugar thing going?

I looked at items #1 and #3. I couldn't get the "zoom" function to work, to take a closer look at ingredients on #1. #3 doesn't give a view of ingredients. #1 looked ok. How do you plan to take these, in water? Or in juice? Juice, of course, will add a lot of carbs, which for you, may be a good thing. Low-carb meals leave you hungry. If you're doing a complete low-carb diet (I doubt you need it), your body gets used to it after a week or 2, and you're no longer hungry. If it's just 1 meal/day you're using these for, adding juice (I guess you're not taking them with milk) would make it a filling meal.

Forget memory pills. You're 27! What do you need memory pills for?! :rolleyes: Wait until you're a geezer, then you can consider memory pills. Gingko biloba (the memory herb) isn't supposed to be taken long term anyway, it causes breakage of the capillaries.

I am going to be using water. It's mostly for breakfast and sometimes for dinner. Lunch is usually my biggest meal. I am 5'11 and I weigh 180. I am trying to cut down on carbs as well.

Wow about: " Gingko biloba (the memory herb) isn't supposed to be taken long term anyway, it causes breakage of the capillaries." That is something else. I wonder if all these supplements are nothing more than marketing?
    edited April 2012
    Just stick with things you can pull out of the ground and pick off the vine...no supplements at your age.

Do you wanna keep those kidneys clean? Or go to dialysis three times a week?

Try some herbal tea..."traditional medicinal "is a good brand...but it doesn't guarantee you anything! It's just good tea.

How is the sugar thing going?
    Yea, I suppose you are right. I am just thinking of ways to include more protein, especially in the morning. Sugar thing is definitely getting better. I still consume, but smaller portions and once or twice a week instead of every day! The whole thing about every day sounds quite insane to me! I cannot imagine being an observer and reading that...Lol. Deadly! Not only that... but I have been consuming it for at least 5 years like that. Ahhh! Funny though... I went and got doctors check up last year and he mentioned that my sugar levels were good. However, my cholesterol was through the roof! Weird huh? But I suppose it's genetics. It runs in my family.
  • . I went and got doctors check up last year and he mentioned that my sugar levels were good. However, my cholesterol was through the roof! Weird huh? But I suppose it's genetics. It runs in my family.

Get off the Jew diet.!
    . I went and got doctors check up last year and he mentioned that my sugar levels were good. However, my cholesterol was through the roof! Weird huh? But I suppose it's genetics. It runs in my family.

Get off the Jew diet.!
    HAHA! Well, I am not on it, as I don't live at home, and my girlfriend doesn't cook russian food, as she is not Russian. Lol. Nor, white...
  • Is she mocha latte!?

Can she make tamales, Creole, or Dominican Pollo?
  • I have NEVER even heard of a Russian restaurant ... what kind of food is that?!

I have NEVER even heard of a Russian restaurant ... what kind of food is that?!

Ukrainian!

BUt here is russian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cuisine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_cuisine

And she is African American, Puerto Rican and Native Indian.
  • She's got a good blend. Your children will be beautiful! Sorry...I didn't mean to offend...I need a map. Lol
    She's got a good blend. Your children will be beautiful! Sorry...I didn't mean to offend...I need a map. Lol
    Offend? Not at all. You know I don't take everything you say seriously! HAHA:) Teasing!
    And yes they sure will be! We have been together 7 years strong:)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

I can't believe they left out borshch. :shake: That's wiki for you.

I can't believe they left out borshch. :shake: That's wiki for you.
    They didn't. But it is a Ukrainian cuisine and not a Russian one. :)
  • Off topic Leon, but I am curious, have you ever visited the country of origin where you have some relation to. Exscuse my ignorance, but I thought it was Russia..? I am half Estonian by the way, 1/4 German and 1/4 English :lol:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I haven't used those supplements, however, I was at my local organic foods/vitamin shop and they had a free book titled, "The Raw Truth"

So, I knew from experience with these types of things that I was looking at an advertisement in the shape of a book (lol), but I thought, what the hey... might as well check it out anyways, might find something useful. And actually... the entire book is full of EXTREMELY useful nutritional and dietary knowledge (things like, which raw vegetables contain the highest concentrations of different vitamins or fiber, or whatever) with only a LITTLE bit of advertisements. So, although it didn't work in its mission to get me to buy Garden of Life supplements... I will say, at least that company appears to know their stuff. I've actually thought about it based upon how much I enjoyed the book... but... they are sort of pricey.

Edit: Oh hey, here's a link for a pdf, if you're curious...
    http://www.gardenoflife.com/RawTruth/tabid/2022/Default.aspx
  • I take a general multi-vitamin supplement, it won't do you any harm. I also take a vegan omega 3 supplement, as I hate flax. Other than that, make sure you get enough vitamin B12 (which you can't get from vegetables) cereal is often fortified with it, as is soya milk. The other thing is choline, which again is limited in a vegan diet.
    http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/choline#vegan
    Off topic Leon, but I am curious, have you ever visited the country of origin where you have some relation to. Exscuse my ignorance, but I thought it was Russia..? I am half Estonian by the way, 1/4 German and 1/4 English :lol:
    Well, I was born in Ukraine and I left when I was 9. However, when I was coming to United States we stayed in Moscow, (Russia) for a few months.
    I haven't used those supplements, however, I was at my local organic foods/vitamin shop and they had a free book titled, "The Raw Truth"

So, I knew from experience with these types of things that I was looking at an advertisement in the shape of a book (lol), but I thought, what the hey... might as well check it out anyways, might find something useful. And actually... the entire book is full of EXTREMELY useful nutritional and dietary knowledge (things like, which raw vegetables contain the highest concentrations of different vitamins or fiber, or whatever) with only a LITTLE bit of advertisements. So, although it didn't work in its mission to get me to buy Garden of Life supplements... I will say, at least that company appears to know their stuff. I've actually thought about it based upon how much I enjoyed the book... but... they are sort of pricey.

Edit: Oh hey, here's a link for a pdf, if you're curious...
    http://www.gardenoflife.com/RawTruth/tabid/2022/Default.aspx
    Thank you!:) That helps a lot.
    I take a general multi-vitamin supplement, it won't do you any harm. I also take a vegan omega 3 supplement, as I hate flax. Other than that, make sure you get enough vitamin B12 (which you can't get from vegetables) cereal is often fortified with it, as is soya milk. The other thing is choline, which again is limited in a vegan diet.
    http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/choline#vegan
    Thank you! Interesting. I was taking multi-vitamin before, but I felt pain afterwards. I wonder if it depends on the supplements?
  • That's funny, I can't think of anything in a multi-vitamin that might cause stomach pain, perhaps you're allergic to the casing or binding agent. Do you know if you have gluten/milk intolerance, or something similar?

You could try switching to a different brand either way. I'd also recommend getting one with iron, in theory we should be getting plenty from the greens we eat, but it's still not uncommon for vegans to be anaemic, if only mildly.
  • yamadayamada Veteran
    Hi, @LeonBasin. How about Spirulina? I used it. Some vegetarians in my city consume it as an additional supplement
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Someone just told me they cured their chronic insomnia and chronic fatigue by juicing 5 carrots, some parsley, celery and a whole clove of garlic once/day. It took about a week to kick in, but suddenly they felt a lot better. I imagine you could do something like that, then add protein and spirulina.