Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Weight Loss?

leahncleahnc Explorer
edited April 2012 in Diet & Habits
I stay home with my kids and since I lost my job last year I have gained about 20+ pounds I was already overweight, so the extra weight gain stinks. Gosh Im trying real hard not to complain, but I cant seem to get motivated
Im trying so hard to accept myself right now where I am, but to be honest I really dont like the way I look. Im disappointed in myself. Im not living to my full potential. Ive been on every weight loss plan under the sun and they all work - but what do you do when you have no motivation to lose the weight even though you know you'd be happier???

Just curious where you all are in your weight loss journey or acceptance of self regardless of weight... Thanks

Comments

• I think you are of two minds. You want to lose the weight, but you don't in some sense. Maybe you could clarify this by saying to yourself that you hope for a time of motivation and link in a yearning. But say that at this time that is not happening for you.

The feelings of not reaching your potential is a perception. It is charged with emotional energy. It only disempowers you. This is samsara, distorted perceptions. So it can be part of your work on your MIND to make another wish to be able to let go. Of this painful perception.

And the two wishes have power.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    but what do you do when you have no motivation
    you don't need more things (motivation), you need less things.

What are the things that rob you from your freedom to do what you want?
    What are the things that you need to fight in order to do what you want?
    Take a good look at them.

They are like little monsters that you never chose to have who control you and make you do whatever they want.

Take a good look at them.

where are they
    what are they
    where are they inside your body.
  • I lost 40lbs the natural way, meaning no help from any supplements... it was diet and excersise.

I basically maintained my calories at 1500-1800 and I did an hour and a half to 2 of intense cardio... jogging, dancing, spinning, hiking...etc... mixed with yoga on light days... no weight training... my goal was to slim down and tone using my own body weight...

keeping a calorie counter on my phone helped..
    Writting my calories on the fridge, everyday... accountability
    Doing it with a buddy is a great motivator!
    See a doctor.

THis is the only weight that helped me... it does take a little bit of hard work.. there were some days that I just gave in and ordered a pizza...that's okay... you just do it one day at a time.. i also realized that there were many different excersises to burn..

like, sex
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Losing weight on paper is simple, burn more calories than you consume and exercise. When I had grown myself a nice beer belly, I decided to lose it. What I did was first focus on my diet. Balance it out and stay away from carbs after around 6pm, and any food after around 9pm if you can. Then the exercise part, you need to do at least 15 minutes of cardio I would say in a session. I got told that lifting weights also speeds up the losing weight process, and it did for me. I did not want huge biceps or to be Mr Strong, but I did 45 minutes of weights and 15 minutes either running or on the rowing machine. Never work out at the gym for more than one hour as you start to do damage to yourself and you lose a lot of adrealine after that point. It is also very important to eat about 45-60 minutes before a workout, eat something which has carbs in it for energy release, and you need to leave it for 45-60 minutes before working out so it can pass through your stomach. More importantly is your post-workout meal. This needs to be high in protein and a little carbs to help your body repair. Drink lots of water throughout. If you do this 3-4 times a week, you will lose weight and see the reults begin to happen fairly soon. Good luck.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    Just curious where you all are in your weight loss journey or acceptance of self regardless of weight...
    I am not overweight, but I am not where I want to be, either. I can't fit into most of my jeans and I can't really afford new ones. That's my main problem. Plus, it's really nice to look in the mirror and feel attractive. I'm noticing a difference in the way I sit with the extra weight, and I would like to work it off before it gets out of hand.
  • Sitting meditation can give tools. Because you can sit with the hunger. And you can eat things that are less exciting/delicious. Noticing when you have eaten enough. You can always get a snack later. Sit with the hunger but low blood sugar it's a good idea to eat something to intervene in the body and brain needing sugar.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I stay home with my kids and since I lost my job last year I have gained about 20+ pounds I was already overweight, so the extra weight gain stinks. Gosh Im trying real hard not to complain, but I cant seem to get motivated
    Im trying so hard to accept myself right now where I am, but to be honest I really dont like the way I look. Im disappointed in myself. Im not living to my full potential. Ive been on every weight loss plan under the sun and they all work - but what do you do when you have no motivation to lose the weight even though you know you'd be happier???

Just curious where you all are in your weight loss journey or acceptance of self regardless of weight... Thanks
    If your weight is affecting your lifestyle and health (whether physical or emotional), i think you just need to use that desire to feel better about yourself to drive you towards weight loss.

Once you get into the momentum of eating better and exercising more, it all becomes easier. It's just that first step you need to take that's hard. It also helps if you have a friend or family member to motivate you and support you along the way by kicking your butt when you are tempted to eat poorly or not do some exercise, and helping you make healthier choices.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    diet and excersise.
    This, plus willpower, is all it takes. With exercise (including 20-30 mins. with weights, to build lean muscle mass), you can get good, steady results. The steady results help motivate you to stay on track.

• I went up and down with my weight for several years. I've lost 50 pounds and kept it off for the past three years. It involved a complete shift in my thinking and behavior, but it took a REALLY long time to make it stick. Don't try to make any changes in your diet or exercise that you wouldn't want to stick with forever.
    My biggest, most important piece of advice - LOVE YOURSELF and KNOW that you will love yourself even if you don't lose the weight. Love yourself the way you are now, imagine loving yourself with another hundred pounds added on.
    I also struggled with a type of codependence that revolved around treating everyone super nice and making them happy. So when I wanted to gorge on fast food instead of going home and patiently cooking up something more wholesome, I'd try to imagine what I'd want to feed someone I love, what I'd want their bodies to be nourished with. Then I'd remind myself that I have that same love and care for myself. I hope this makes sense.
    Love yourself!!!
  • Becoming a vegetarian and giving up alcohol if you wish.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Gaining and losing weight is a difficult way of approaching the issue - one in a way is fighting the body and the weight of evolution.

An easier way is to concentrate on lifestyle - the body reflects lifestyle - by being healthier and happier, one looks healthier and is happier.

Finger, moon, heavenly glory...
  • @zero Bruce Lee fan?
  • minimayhen88minimayhen88 Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Hi :wave:

I have been researching diet, holistic approaches for litorally years now (it fascinates me!) LOVE YOURSELF >>> YOU ARE YOUR BODY .... being overweight can be harmful to your mental and physical health .... so maybee you are in some kind of spiral of decline ..... if your diet lacks certain neutrients, then you will feel a lack of motervation, sluggish or even depressed. Maybee start taking St. Johns wort and eating more wholesome meals would be a good starting point. Maybee take some B vitamins ... for energy .... do a light power walk with your kids in the evening .... and that would be a great start to a better and healthier version of yourself .... remember your body is your temple ..... take care of it, body mind and spirit .... x x x Good Luck
  • I went up and down with my weight for several years. I've lost 50 pounds and kept it off for the past three years. It involved a complete shift in my thinking and behavior, but it took a REALLY long time to make it stick. Don't try to make any changes in your diet or exercise that you wouldn't want to stick with forever.
    My biggest, most important piece of advice - LOVE YOURSELF and KNOW that you will love yourself even if you don't lose the weight. Love yourself the way you are now, imagine loving yourself with another hundred pounds added on.
    I also struggled with a type of codependence that revolved around treating everyone super nice and making them happy. So when I wanted to gorge on fast food instead of going home and patiently cooking up something more wholesome, I'd try to imagine what I'd want to feed someone I love, what I'd want their bodies to be nourished with. Then I'd remind myself that I have that same love and care for myself. I hope this makes sense.
    Love yourself!!!
    This is truly the best advice.. being grateful that you are able to make healthy choice. You can love yourself as is and move forward from there. Very well said:)
  • Knowing I will feel better mentally and physically, that my brain will function more efficiently and that I will look better was all the motivation I needed.
  • I know I have had many disappointments and during that time of some grief I simply did not have discipline. So practice some self compassion with any thing you do.

The way I handle these things in the most Buddhist way is to observe my feelings and body sensations throughout the day. What does it feel like after 3 hours on the couch compared to a half hour taking the kids to the park and walking? Same with food you may be eating that is healthier than other food, how do you feel right now and how do you feel later. The whole time practicing self compassion.

I quit smoking, and over the last month was able to stay quit during some stressful things. I was not able to do this for a long time, well a week here and there, but when the overwhelming bad feelings came I smoked. Eventually I was able to focus on how my body felt, and sometimes I would say I felt better, jittery and energetic, until I started noticing the bad feelings more and more. In the bad feeling times how I felt didn't matter, I was in a realm where I didn't care that I felt good, if that makes sense.

I really wanted to say here that I 'finally' quit smoking, maybe throw in a tiny self whack on the head, but I didn't. There can be a sense of ego in beating on ourselves as much as puffing ourselves up. It just is, Last month I was stressed and I smoked, this month I am stressed and I have not smoked. Okay.
  • Congrats on the non-smoking. Keep thinking POSITIVE HEALTHY thoughts. I workout 6 days a week, eat healthy and still struggle to not have a cigarette. however, when I think all good things, I feel better. Does this make sense?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2012
    I've put on a fair bit of weight - and no matter what I do, i cannot for the life of me, seem to shift it.
    And it seems mother Nature wants it that way....

Which is bloody annoying. :banghead:
    Heather
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Just came across this video on this website that breaks down types of foods that add to weight gain and why. They do try to sell you into their program but it sounds to me like a well thought out and good one.

http://www.beyonddiet.com/bd/landing?food=avocado
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    They talk a lot to keep you interested which is a delaying tactic.. i felt like shooting them 2 minutes in...

GET ON WITH IT...!!!

OK, I lost the will to live after 10 minutes....what '5 foods to never eat' won't kill me but they nearly did....
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Weight loss is relatively straightforward:

1) Stop thinking about gaining weight or losing weight - rather consider lifestyle and numbers - your body is a machine - who is in the driving seat? plonk yourself down in the driving seat and work out who is the dog and who is the tail and who should be wagging who...

2) Using your height and weight, work out what your resting metabolic rate is - this is the rough amount of calories you will burn just living and breathing etc

3) Work out a menu of say 10 dishes that you can cook easily and a list of foods with calories against it - there is so much out there on this and even apps for your phone.

4) Record what you actually eat for a week and tot up the calories each day.

4) Divide your intake calories by 3 - this is the sum of calories that you will need to burn everyday - pick out exercises that you enjoy and that correspond to your chosen level of calorie burn.

5) the calories you burn + your resting metabolic rate > the calories you consume every day.

In short - as long as you intake less calories than you expend a day, it is absolutely without fail 100% guaranteed that you will lose weight...

If it doesnt work, youre either eating too much or not doing enough physical activity or a combination of both...

and then begins the battle with the mind - that said, if one is able to sit for hours meditating then surely the simple task of eating and moving should be a easypeasylemonsqueezy?
  • I think for weight loss to work, you really have to change your mindset.

My GF lost 50 lbs in 5 months. It was mainly because she finally got tired of being overweight and unhealthy.

I've always been trying to get her to eat healthier to no avail. Weight loss only worked when she mentally got into it.

She also found out that healthy food can also be really tasty. I've been cooking different vegetarian dishes and found recipes that she really likes. Now she says that her favorite foods are my cooking. :)

Another thing that helped motivate her was understanding what really goes into the foods that she used to eat and how unhealthy they are. The documentary "Forks Over Knives" was very informative. It's on Netflix.

I really like the feeling of eating non-greasy foods. I feel cleaner, and don't suffer from food coma.
  • Learn to accept your body and its excess weight, don't beat yourself up about it. Then I recommend mindful eating. A book on the topic by Thich Nhat Hanh:
    http://www.amazon.com/Savor-Mindful-Eating-Life/dp/0061697702/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336753596&sr=1-2

• I am involved in "Fat activism". That means - amongst other things - I believe that being fat (a little fat, or a lot fat) gives no one else the right to judge you, berate you, bully you, disregard you or disrespect you.
    Being Fat is not a crime. Being Fat has nothing to do with one's intelligence or goodness inside. Being Fat is not a moral failing. Being Fat doesn't mean one is slothful or gluttonous.

Being fat does not NEED to cause one unhappiness. It takes a lot of work and effort, but one can learn to eventually accept their body at its natural 'set point' of weight- even if that means one is way beyond some chart in a doctor's office.

Being a Fat Activist means I support the HAES method (Health At Every Size).
    That in turn means eating HEALTHY foods as much as possible, and eating intuitively (mindfully) without restrictive behaviors being the focus.
    Dieting (meaning calorie restriction) can too easily become a lifetime attachment/obsession. It actually damages your health, and is rarely successful for the long run for weight loss.

It is more important to eat healthy, move your body in some way, and keep your mind from negative self-abuse - even if you can't wear that bikini or don't have 'six-pack abs.' Remember, thinness is a *cultural* obsession... not a moral or religious one.
    And thin people are not always healthy, either.

http://www.amazon.com/Health-At-Every-Size-Surprising/dp/1935618253/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340540694&sr=8-1&keywords=Health+at+every+size

• I meant to say above:

"... and keep your mind from negativity and self-abuse..."

There is no such thing as non-negative self abuse! :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Eat healthier food. Lower calories. If you have a naughty treat then reduce the portion size.

The less delicious food becomes what your body is attuned to. It is not as fun as the sugar/fat options but it satisfies the ritual of eating and vegetables: tomato, carrots, rice, steamed vegetables, turkey, and so forth.

Anecdote: I have night cravings of cheese and crackers and cannot sleep. I switched to turkey pepperoni or a peanut butter sandwich. Those have protein to satisfy whereas cheese is a great taste, quickly consumed, but high calorie.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Get running, guys :p

Have you heard of Park runs? This is the UK site, though I believe they're ran all over the place. Friendly, fun, and full of first timers.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

With a 'sofa to 5k' program here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • ToshTosh Veteran

The feelings of not reaching your potential is a perception. It is charged with emotional energy. It only disempowers you.
    Or it empowers you. I only tend to do the hard stuff when I've no other choice. 'Pain is the touchstone for all spiritual growth.'

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Tosh, my sangha's philosophy is similar to Gangaji's teaching. You are just compassionate with yourself whatever you are doing. The pain of the weight is going to come you don't have to bring it on. Then you are compassionate so you don't feel guilty. Next through compassion you give the gift of mind control to sit with cravings. This works for me, I lost 45 pounds just letting go of the eating as a pleasure. I only eat to avoid low blood sugar and some eating at night to sleep. So I don't feel guilty eating late night snacks and eventually the clarity to sit with the craving will come, I feel. In the mean time I eat turkey pepperoni or peanut butter to get the carbs that my meds make me crave. I am on some of the strongest weight gaining medicines, anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers. I don't exercise, I have just cut calories through letting go of eating as a pleasure. I still like the taste it just is not what drives me. NA beer, coffee, and smoking are my sense pleasures and all of those help to lose weight.

So my way is full on compassion and making choices.
  • 'Im not living to my full potential.'
    nobody is living up to her full potential.
    not even oprah or hillary clinton.

except maybe, ajahn brahm or robina courtin???

• Random thought: organise regular, long bike rides with the kids that end in a picnic. Hopefully, the kids won't let you stop the bike rides because they love picnics :)

Also, if you despair of losing weight, fight the despair first.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I absolutely agree that what we look like in any way is not a reflection of what is on the inside. And I am all for people accepting and loving themselves. However, there is a big difference between packing a few extra pounds and still being healthy, and being obese. It is basically impossible to be obese and healthy, because of the automatic increase in many, many health problems outside of a body's normal carrying capacity. I wouldn't care if it wasn't such a heavy (no pun intended) carrying capacity on society as well. Just like drug addiction and alcoholism, obesity brings it's problems far outside of the body of the affected person. There is also a big difference between being healthy and having a 6 pack abs. You don't have to have the body of an Olympian to be healthy. I totally agree with, and understand people being comfortable in their own skin. But I have a hard time understanding how someone can claim to feel healthy and comfortable when they can't walk stairs without being out of breath, or when they can't play with their children, or when their joints all hurt when they are only 35 years old. I say that because I've been overweight, and because I know what it feels like, and it's exhausting, and it hurts. Knowing how I feel no longer being overweight is a huge difference, and I wish everyone who wants to feel better, can find whatever it is to get them there. The difference it makes in all areas of you life-even your Buddhist practice-is huge.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    @Jeffrey Thanks; I'll have a go. Right now I've been beating myself up because I've got a mental block over some paperwork I've got to do; I've had all weekend to do it, and I never stopped thinking about doing it - it's really spoilt my weekend - yet I've not done it.

I'm quite mad at myself to be honest and your post could apply to this siltation too. It gave me some food for thought, thanks.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Here, why don't we start 'The Biggest Loser' competition? 'The Biggest Loser' is some UK game show where the competitors try to lose the most weight. We could post our starting weights (me too; I could do with losing a some too) on a weekly basis and see who loses the most.

And the original meaning of the word 'compete' is very Buddhist too; these days 'compete' has connotations as 'every man for himself' or 'be the best', but the original meaning meant 'to progress together'. Runners who competitively race each other, push each other on; make each other work harder and develop better - they progress together.

Anyone up for a Biggest Loser Competition? :D But low key; we could just keep this the 'losing weight motivation post'.

Just a thought. Probably a silly one.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    On this thread this post might seem a bit of a flamer but it's not my intent to insult anyone..

I am 6' 1'' and 195lbs. I have never yet had a problem with weighing more than I cared to.

Some of that is skinny Scottish highland genes, an active lifestyle and I try not to eat more than 2/3rds of my stomachs fill.

Every overweight person that I know well enough to share a meal with, eats more than I do. The reason I speak of this is that if they bring up being overweight and I mention that they consistently eat more than I do when we are together, every last one of them will flatly deny it.

I know we all have our own stuff. Curtail my input of a visual medium and I can get snarly pretty fast so I am not saying I am better than anyone else. What interests me is the apparent inability of my weightier friends to not accurately know how much they eat.
    Perhaps I have the same issues with acknowledging how much time I spend in front of my own one eyed god.
    Any observations of the same?
    There have actually been studies done on this. In some cases, people have genetic defects/hormonal imbalances that cause their body to not alert them that they are full. It turns into a vicious circle of sorts because a lot of those hormonal imbalances are caused by lack of activity, and an unhealthy diet.

I read something today that made a lot of sense to me. "The ability to move your body efficiently (barring any actual disability) is one of the most fundamental functions of the human being. Anything that disables this function is not healthy. If you cannot move your body in a healthy manner, you are not healthy. This is why "fat" and "healthy" cannot be in the same sentence together. Obesity cripples the ability to move, so it belongs in the same category as the other conditions: it is a health crisis no matter how comfortable or accepting a large person is of his/her body."

I tend to agree with that. I try not to judge because I don't know what has lead to someone being overweight and they may very well have health conditions that contribute to that. But overall, most people could do something about it and choose not to. What their reasons are are really no business of mine, and I don't like or dislike people based on how they look. But I think most of the time someone saying they think it's ok to be overweight, even if it means their bodies do not function normally, is in denial over their true state of health. It has nothing to do with how you look, and everything to do with your health.
  • I have similar issue. Losing a job is depressing. Getting over that depression takes time. Applying for a job motivates a person. Having no calls plunges a person back into depression mode. Anyway, through each stage of depression, be mindful. Allow yourself time to feel the emotion, sort of like a grief time if one has a decease pet or something. Then, tell yourself to snap back up. You gave it enough attention. Now, onto other things.

I used to brag how metabolically active I was when I was younger. Now, in midlife, I am ashame. My metabolism is slower. Though I am ashame, I am accepting this and try to work ways to boost this up. During depression, while others like to eat, I don't. This slows my metabolism. Thus, a way to boost this is to eat when I'm hungry and in small amount, the right portion, to let the stomach know that it needs to do its job of digestion.

If I can't exercise, I should stretch. Exercise before bed time (~30) helps boost that metabolism while resting. If I can have a consistent routine, a habit, then motivation is less of a factor because it is in the habit...my mind wouldn't resist it as hard.

Anyway, I am not fat or am I skinny. I am within 5 pounds of my acceptable height and weight. But, I would like to be more tone and leaner since most clothes don't look good on me unless I am at my right weight. At the moment, I am on the balance with motivation and depression and working around it. The mentality that you have to look your best just for the interview keeps me motivated.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I'm going to let go of my urge to argue, debate, inform or get pissy....
    Instead, I will post the links anyone can read and understand to further educate themselves regarding Fat/Being Fat in America, and the cultural bullying Fat people endure.

Please don't be a party to media-fueled bigotry and bias against others.
    LEARN the TRUTH.

http://fiercefatties.com/2012/05/22/whats-happenin/
    http://www.bigfatfacts.com/
    http://www.haescommunity.org/index.php
    http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/
    http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2009/12/top-10-obesity-myths/
    http://drdeah.com/

With some Googling and effort you can find many many more sites that promote self-acceptance, self-respect and respect for others - no what HOW much one weighs.

I find it very disappointing to find anti-fat rhetoric and bigotry here on a "Buddhist" forum.
    Disappointed, but I am really not that surprised. :-(

No one is being anti-fat. It's a scientific, medically proven fact that carrying more than a certain amount of body weight is not healthy. Whether you are happy and self-accepting doesn't change that fact. Teaching my son to love himself doesn't make him not-diabetic. Loving yourself and accepting yourself is of course a good thing, and a very important thing, but it doesn't make you healthy if you are not.

• Thin/average size people get diabetes as well.
    Thin/average size people get cancer, heart disease, hypertension, COPD, asthma, arthritis, and and every other disease known to man.

There is not one single solitary disease that ONLY fat/obese people get, and thin people do not.
    Being fat can (and yes, sometimes does) raise the RISK of developing certain diseases - but the significance of that rise - percentage wise - is MINIMAL.

Thin/average people who engage in certain practices and activities (compulsive dieting, exercising, hiking, running, contact sports, binge eating/bulimia, anorexia, etc) also raise their risk for certain health issues and diseases. Yet, our culture doesn't hold it against them, now do we? Why not?
    Well, because they "look good" so we ASSUME they are healthy in their lifestyle and diet, even when they are not.

Fat Shaming has become a cultural meme and it needs to be stopped. Most people don't even realize they do it... until they learn about the other ways to think and perceive others of larger size (fat people).

Judging someone else's 'health' based on their weight and concluding they must be lazy and/or just 'don't care' about their health - is fat shaming language and thought, and frankly non of your/anyone's business.

OK I said I wasn't going to do this, but I did. *sigh* It's a tough subject for me to ignore....

I'm not judging their healthy by how they look. I've been overweight, bordering on obese. I know what it feels like, and I know the last thing it is, is healthy.

And my diabetic son is 3 years old and is a type 1 diabetic. It has nothing to do with his lifestyle. I was only making the point that just loving yourself and accepting yourself doesn't change anything with regards to the risks to your health. If you cannot move your body in the way it's meant to move, you aren't healthy. I know, I've been there, and the last thing I was, was healthy. I couldn't walk up the stairs without my knees hurting. I couldn't play with my kids because I was too awkward to run after them. I had no shame in eating half a container of ice cream in one sitting, just because I wanted to.

I know people who look fit, aren't always healthy. I've studied health and nutrition all my life. Nothing I say has anything to do with how fat people look. A lot of it IS choice. Not always, but often. I chose to not be active. I chose to eat badly. I decided to make different choices. That doesn't mean everyone has HAS to or SHOULD do it. But choosing to not do so doesn't make one healthy. And in so far as how it affects our society and our insurance rates and everything, it is everyone's business any time a health crisis of any sort affects the country/world as a whole because it affects everyone else, too. The risks aren't as minimal as you'd like to believe. People who are obese receive far, far more health care than the average fit and healthy person.

Even blaming genetics is losing ground, because genetics can be changed on cellular levels to decrease your risk factors, by changing your diet.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    The statistical significance of data pointing to the health detriments of being over a certain average weight is not minimal - it is statistically significant - people in this class die younger, they suffer certain life altering diseases younger, they need more care in older age and healthcare costs are increased over a lifetime to name a few - there is therefore a cost saving in encouraging people to stay close to the mean average and also a perceived improvement in quality of life.

Our culture aims to sell - this issue is spun to sell - diets, low fat food, research funding, tax - you name it... if there is a 'problem' you can be pretty sure that soon there will be profit from it.

Its remains however that the equation is very simple for the broad majority - calories in > calories out = gain weight.

There is a multitude of reasons for why people cannot easily address this issue - as there is a multitude of reasons why people cannot easily address any issue! I have trained with a number of people who have had high %'s of body fat and all of them have lost considerable amounts of weight by just eating sensibly, regulating their portion size and doing more stuff.

I wouldnt say that anyone should lose weight - if youre happy with how you look and feel then more power to you.
  • Oops. Hope I'm not sending out the wrong message by trying to convey that stress can really kill a person...psychologically, emotionally, mentally, physically, etc. As a Buddhist, I'm trying to see things as they are to develop a good mental health as well as a good physical health. Health is the bottom line. I know if I gained a pound or two, I breathed shallower. It scared me! Though I am young still to feel any fright pertaining to health issue, but yes, I am aware that people can die from unknown causes even in their prime of life as well as fitness.

If this is sending a wrong message by trying to participate in a forum, then I beg forgiveness. This is a Buddhist forum. We are tyring to help each other, IMHO.

Thank you and Metta!
  • FireSongFireSong Explorer
    I personally don't see anyone here being "anti-fat." Anti-unhealthy, sure, but I haven't seen any derision coming from anyone here. Perhaps things can be read into in a way that would make said individual(s) believe that there is judgment in a comment when none was intended, but I don't think anyone here would be intentionally offensive or hurtful.

I know "large" people who are quite healthy - they run, they play sports, they can do anything a "thin" person can do. I've seen "thin" people who are quite unhealthy, but that's not really the point. The debate should not be about what a person looks like, but about the overall health of one's body.
  • Firesong: "I know "large" people who are quite healthy - they run, they play sports, they can do anything a "thin" person can do. I've seen "thin" people who are quite unhealthy, but that's not really the point. The debate should not be about what a person looks like, but about the overall health of one's body. "

But that is exactly the point. Size does not = overall HEALTH.
    Point is; Other people's "health" (or lack of it) should not be up for debate by ANYONE. You can't tell if a fat person is trying to care for their health and in turn are healthy - or not healthy - in spite of trying.
    This isn't about how specifically you (the general "you") FEELS about being fat or fearing being fat. This is about not judging anyone, for any reason, on any level, because they LOOK fat (or are fat) and/or "unhealthy" to you.
    There are many many thin people who "Feel fat" and engage in terrible habits, eating disorders and addictions because they "feel fat", but really aren't fat.
    Nor is it about 'excusing' some people to be fat ("Well, he/she has a medical condition that made her gain weight" etc) and not excusing others.

Size acceptance websites can explain all this to you and the sites I listed above have SCIENTIFIC STUDIES to back up what they say. Especially Freething Fierce Fatties, and DancesWithFat sites. These people are educated and very well informed.
    They also have no links to, or funding from, weight loss companies or the like-- which is where MOST studies come from that you are all paraphrasing.
    Actually, the studies I'm talking about are NOT from weight loss companies. I don't get this information from Glamour and CNN.com. I get them from medical journals, places like the Mayo Clinic, scientists who actually study this stuff (I have a very good friend who has studied weight loss/gain and nutrition her entire life) and doctors. Doctors most certainly aren't always the best source for health information, especially in the US, but include naturopaths and DOs when I say "doctors."

I think you, MaryAnne, are reading more into what is being said than is being said. I personally could care less if someone is short, tall, fat, skinny or whatever. The health implications are there for people who are obese. Just like they are there for those who smoke too much, drink too much and do too many drugs. I am not hating on fat people, or judging them. I feel the same about smokers, and I have some very close friends who are smokers. They'll be happy to tell you how I feel about how it affects their health, the health of those around them, and our country's grossly out of control heath costs.

You are assuming larger people aren't being accepted, and that's not the case. My only opinion that differs from what you have said is that you can be fat, and healthy. Overall, you cannot. There are always exceptions, you can be fat and not entirely unhealthy. You can be thin and horribly unhealthy. You can be all sorts of ranges of sizes and health levels. But you cannot find a person who is 400 pounds and claim they are healthy. It is impossible because the human body is not designed to weigh that much. Maybe they don't have heart disease. Yet. Or diabetes. Yet. But their muscles, bones, joints, ligaments-their entire body structure is unhealthy and will fail over time if they do not fix their weight problem.
  • I noticed some people coming in from this site to our site, Fierce, Freethinking Fatties (Hi MaryAnne!) and I just wanted to chime in, particularly when I read this quote:
    "The ability to move your body efficiently (barring any actual disability) is one of the most fundamental functions of the human being. Anything that disables this function is not healthy. If you cannot move your body in a healthy manner, you are not healthy. This is why "fat" and "healthy" cannot be in the same sentence together. Obesity cripples the ability to move, so it belongs in the same category as the other conditions: it is a health crisis no matter how comfortable or accepting a large person is of his/her body."
    I'm 5'7", 265 pounds, BMI 41.5. I am morbidly obese. The percentage of the population that is larger than me is around 6.3%. Those with a BMI over 50 (such as those who are on The Biggest Loser) is around 0.42%. The things you folks have been saying about obesity (that being on the borderline of overweight and obesity limits movement) is nonsense. There are tons of fat athletes (pun intended) who are both morbidly obese and perfectly capable of moving their bodies. Ragen (Dances with Fat) is a very large woman who is also a very graceful dancer. And last night I took my 12-year-old son to our gym to play racquetball and outran, outjumped and outplayed him the entire time.

The reason? Because even though I'm fat, I still exercise and I still take care of my body. I do cardio and strength training, I eat a balanced diet, I take care of myself. I even recently lowered my cholesterol significantly after adopting the HAES approach. And do you know how much weight I've lost since adopting these lifestyle changes? Zero pounds. Much of that has to do with the exchange of muscle with fat, but externally — what you see and what society judges — has not changed appreciably.

The fact is, you cannot tell by looking at someone how healthy they are. By doing so, you are engaging in superficial judgments and stereotypes. The exhaustive work of Dr. Steven Blair has shown over the four decades that he has studied this issue that fat people who are active are just as metabolically healthy as thin people who are active and, on the other side of that coin, regardless of whether you're thin or fat, being sedentary causes metabolic damage.

"Yes, but if you were active AND you lost weight, you'd be so much healthier." That may be, but the overwhelming history of research shows that there is no weight loss approach that leads to significant (greater than 10% of your starting weight) long-term (greater than two years) weight loss. That's why people rely on anecdotal evidence, rather than the mountains of data that support this fact.

Health at Every Size does not teach that all fat people are healthy. It encourages you to disconnect health from BMI, and to focus on the behaviors, rather than the number on the scale. If you incorporate healthy behaviors and you lose weight, great! If not, great! Your health will still improve dramatically. And unlike the weight-based paradigm of health, there are demonstrable benefits and objective outcomes that you can count on as you care for and strengthen your body, which encourage people to continue those behaviors. People who focus on losing weight as the primary objective for improving their health will inevitably find themselves unable to push their weight any lower, and then give up whatever healthy behaviors they've adopted.

Stop making assumptions about what fat people can and can't do, or how healthy they are. The fact is, you don't know and by judging others by their body size, you are harming that person in the same way that other forms of discrimination harm the discriminated.

Weight loss is a dead-end for most people, but health is not. And until we learn to distinguish between the two, we will never be able to make peace with our bodies.

Peace,
    Shannon
  • @Shannon

Wow, What a surprise to see you here! Thank you for stopping in. I almost didn't check this thread because it usually upsets me when I can't be as precise and well documented in my replies as I'd like.
    But you, you knight in large, beautiful, shining armor, as usual you took the lead. Thank you!
    I don't have much to add, there is no point in going in circles. I am sure there are fat people who are healthier than some of their thin counterparts. I know there are thin people who are horribly unhealthy. But I also don't think the average American who is walking down the street and is obese, is also healthy. Some, yes, but it's not the norm. I don't spy a fat person and say "omg, look how fat that person is, they are so unhealthy." Yesterday there was a man at my son's baseball game sitting in front of us. He's my age (small town, we know everyone here). He cannot walk from his car to the bleachers because his weight has made his ankles and feet turn at funny angles. By the time he walks the 25 feet, he huffs and puffs the entire time he is sitting there, still trying to catch his breath. He is a long ways from healthy, and he is representative of most of what I see. Are there fat athletes? Absolutely, look at the NFL. But they don't represent the average obese consumer. Do I know about everyone's health status? No, and I don't judge them based on how they look. I observe what I see in their behaviors and make assumptions about their health that way, yes, but I'm also fairly well educated on such things and I know what makes up health and what doesn't. There are always exceptions. That doesn't mean they make up the majority.

And this:

People who focus on losing weight as the primary objective for improving their health will inevitably find themselves unable to push their weight any lower, and then give up whatever healthy behaviors they've adopted.

is just as false as the things you say are false. Does EVERYONE who seeks to lose weight for health succeed? Nope. But a lot of people do.
  • Karasti,
    You see what you want to see. And so far, you have only shared what you have seen in terms of anecdotal evidence. You saw one really fat guy who was out of breath and that has become your go-to example. But as I said, people who are the size of Biggest Loser contestants are very rare (0.42% of the population), yet you claim this man is "representative of most of what I see."

Same thing with weight loss. You believe it is possible because you only see those who succeed and dismiss the outliers as a fraction of those who try. You say that "a lot of people" succeed at weight loss. But where is your evidence?

For every anecdote you share, I can provide you with a long-term study that shows that the vast majority of people do not succeed at losing weight, and those who do don't lose much.

Although it is only a small sample of what's out there, I share some of the research in this post: http://fiercefatties.com/2012/06/26/big-time-hustler

I have to say that if this site is for Buddhists and by Buddhists, then I'm disappointed in the judgmental attitudes I have seen in this thread. And I thought Buddhists were taught to see through the illusions, yet so many cling to the illusion that weight loss is possible for most fat people. How disappointing.

Peace,
    Shannon
    nuitgoddess