Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Book about veganism?

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited April 2012 in Diet & Habits
So, I am having a helluva time putting together a decent meal plan based on online sources for a serious (and healthy) vegan diet.

This time last year I was on an almost 3000 calorie diet involving high levels of protien, weight gain supplements, and a lot of meat. Since then, thank goodness, things have changed. I've dropped about 20 pounds in the last 6-7 months, but I want to lose another 25 as well as maintain a more compassionate diet. Right now I am probably eating about 1800 calories a day, starting to get back into a regular excersize routine, and am no longer drinking. I want to make sure I still get all the necessary nutrients to support an active lifestyle while also helping me improve my figure as hrt starts to do its work :)

Does anyone know of any good cookbooks and dietary plans that maybe I could find at barnes and noble or buy offline? I have a nook so I could download it straight to that which would be perfect.

Comments

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Vegan with a Vengeance" is good cookbook.

"The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook" is good.

"The Uncheese Cookbook" is good.

Anything by Dr. Neal Barnard is good. If you want something tailored specifically towards weight loss, his book "21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart" is good I have heard.

As far as meal planning and nutrition in general. His book "Food for Life" is pretty good, it has recipes too.
  • Well done for stopping drinking, seems like you have looked at your lifestyle and realized you need change, furthermore putting the thought into practice. I have no idea about books, just saying :thumbsup:
  • I became an oil-free vegan about 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with heart disease with 95% blockages in my arteries. Now all of that has gone so I am more than happy to continue as a vegan (google Esselstyn or visit www.heartattackproof.com).
  • The Veganomicon is a useful vegan cookbook. I bought it for my wife about six months ago, and she is very pleased with it. It may use alternative names, for foodstuffs, that are unfamiliar to some, as it is written in the USA. In some cases, my wife has needed to find out what the writers meant, since we are in the UK.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Shunryu Suzuki sangha (he is dead) has a book about 'bag lunch' that is quite awesome recipes. They are the sort of things that you can pack and have a picnic. I made a gorganzola cheese dip which was very awesome and some broiled red bell peppers with garlic and dressing. There is also a DVD by a monk who works in the kitchen talking about how his practice relates to cooking and the Zen community. It's kind of expensive, but it is a beautiful book. Awesome and creative recipes and as Buddhists we may resonate with a Buddhist chefs text.