Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Negativity towards everyone..

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited April 2012 in Diet & Habits
I have been noticing that I have strong negativity towards everyone. I have tapes continually in my mind pointing out that I am negative towards everyone. And it's true. I don't know how to get out of it. I guess I have to do my time now for nasty thoughts.

A couple people in particular keep coming again and again. Someone I really admire but because of something I know about them, their health, I continually feel weird about them and I can't stop it. The tapes just keep going round and round.

:(

Comments

• I am the same way... It's so much harder to stop compulsive thoughts than one would think eh. I think a change of scenery and a new start would help infinitely for me. I don't know if that's an option for you or not.
  • You could put a rubber band on your wrist and then every time you think a negative thought, pop the rubber band and purposely find something to say out loud about them....
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Hi Jeffery... If I was feeling harassed by thinking patterns that seem to come from other than my own mind, I would seek help from a mental health professional. It is typical to have a chattering mind, but If the thoughts have the quality of piped-in recordings, that is something to take to a doctor.
  • I have noticed something different in the way you have been posting recently, also the lack of you around, I was going to message you and ask if you were okay actually. How long have you been focused on this thought about thinking about people in a negative way? Can you go into details about in what way do you view them in a ngetaive way?
  • Hi, Jeffrey! I Have noticed you are not as active.

In many ways, having negative thoughts about people is very normal. I think I struggle with that too. The good thing is that you are aware of it, right.

Have you been meditating at all? How are the meds?
  • All thoughts are the play of ones natural state. The moment they arise they pop like a bubble. Focus your awareness on that.
  • Hi Jeffery... If I was feeling harassed by thinking patterns that seem to come from other than my own mind, I would seek help from a mental health professional. It is typical to have a chattering mind, but If the thoughts have the quality of piped-in recordings, that is something to take to a doctor.
    Yes I have a support group and therapist/psych. And some caring people to talk to.

I have a higher quality of life on moderate meds because I have the life energy to do things and be with these people ^

I might try painting. I used to love that.
    You could put a rubber band on your wrist and then every time you think a negative thought, pop the rubber band and purposely find something to say out loud about them....
    I like it. But the problem is that my wrist would probably be worn down.
    Hi, Jeffrey! I Have noticed you are not as active.

In many ways, having negative thoughts about people is very normal. I think I struggle with that too. The good thing is that you are aware of it, right.

Have you been meditating at all? How are the meds?
    Yeah I know it's part of life. There are positives too with the negative tapes. I am exploring a different part of me. Soft emotional music. Have you ever heard of Peter Gabriel from Genesis? I have been listening to his station.
    I am the same way... It's so much harder to stop compulsive thoughts than one would think eh. I think a change of scenery and a new start would help infinitely for me. I don't know if that's an option for you or not.
    I feel a kinship in some sense to you, shanyin. Like I say above I just try to keep positive. The simple wonders. Like how it's amazing that there are cars in the world. And birds. What the heck, how can things be so amazing? Raindrops falling like diamonds.
  • Thailand Tom, thanks for the PM :)
  • Hi Jeffery... If I was feeling harassed by thinking patterns that seem to come from other than my own mind, I would seek help from a mental health professional. It is typical to have a chattering mind, but If the thoughts have the quality of piped-in recordings, that is something to take to a doctor.
    Yes I have a support group and therapist/psych. And some caring people to talk to.

I have a higher quality of life on moderate meds because I have the life energy to do things and be with these people ^

I might try painting. I used to love that.

Sounds good... I'm glad to hear you have support.. We all need support.

.....and painting is always a great idea!

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Fake it till you make it.

When you wake up tomorrow, think, "I'm a person whose really positive towards everyone". Try 'n' hold that thought throughout the day.

See what happens?

It's worth a try.
  • Tosh, I always like what you say about going thinking of being able to help people, when you meet someone having something similar experience.

I had a mantra for awhile "I am not against anything or anyone" Of course that wasn't unflexible such to be against my own reactions to people which may happen time to time.
  • Get "awakening the sacred body" by tenzin wangyal rinpoche and do the nine purification breaths. The first set deals with aversion or anger and learning to exit anger through the right white channel into space.

Or you can rest mind as open awareness and bring the anger or aversion forward. Then anger will unravel and do its thing until its gone.
  • Really get this book because it talks a lot about spaciousness, openess and stillness which are all qualities of non conceptual awareness.

Also gives practical instructions on lung so that we can actively purify and work with the negative emotions and thoughts.

Also has a nice Dvd which goes into further detail.

I just started doing the breathing practices and I feel the benefits already.
  • Record a new tape. The only way to change a habit is to recognize what you're doing, plan an action to replace the habit, practice the new habit, stay mindful to how you're doing and adjust as you go.
  • I'm going to try that book out taiyaki. Ordered it along with a scientific calculator so that I have something for my left brain too. Balance.

• Thank you Jeffrey ...I found another Singer I like! We have similar taste in music...kinda Indie and uplifting, sort of light and airy.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Fake it till you make it.

When you wake up tomorrow, think, "I'm a person whose really positive towards everyone". Try 'n' hold that thought throughout the day.

See what happens?

It's worth a try.
    I like that!

It reminds me of smiling meditation.

For one day, make loving kindness and smiling your main objective and see how you feel at the end of a day of interaction with the public.

The next day, try looking angry and unsympathetic then see how you feel at the end of the day.

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. ”

- H.H. The Dalai Lama.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

I like that!

For one day, make loving kindness and smiling your main objective and see how you feel at the end of a day of interaction with the public.

The next day, try looking angry and unsympathetic then see how you feel at the end of the day.

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. ”

- H.H. The Dalai Lama.
    Thanks; I think there's some merit in there for a simple practise.

Somewhere in the Bible (not that I read it), it says something like "Pray for it and you will receive", and that doesn't mean stuff like money or cars, but if you pray for a good quality, such as compassion, and you believe it will work, it will; you will be more compassionate - straight away.

I also think I've read somewhere about a Tantric practise which is where you pretend you're an enlightened being (or something like that) and even though you're not, you act accordingly - though I can't remember where I've read that.

And in A.A. we use the term, "Fake it till you make it".

So this isn't some weird stuff I've just made up!

:D
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I like that!

- H.H. The Dalai Lama.
    Thanks; I think there's some merit in there for a simple practise.

Somewhere in the Bible (not that I read it), it says something like "Pray for it and you will receive", and that doesn't mean stuff like money or cars, but if you pray for a good quality, such as compassion, and you believe it will work, it will; you will be more compassionate - straight away.

I also think I've read somewhere about a Tantric practise which is where you pretend you're an enlightened being (or something like that) and even though you're not, you act accordingly - though I can't remember where I've read that.

And in A.A. we use the term, "Fake it till you make it".

So this isn't some weird stuff I've just made up!

:D
    "We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
    --Ghandi

• I find that many of my judgements and feelings of resentment stem from my expectations. The Zen approach to expectations, is to drop them. I have learned to drop my expectations and it has been amazing how it helped to put me in the moment. Just a suggestion. Try it, you might find it useful.
  • :wave: Hey,

I struggle to control negative thoughts .... and I used to have an almost constant flow of various thoughts, that my mind seemed to throw at me ... like mind Tourettes if you will!! Anyway I have discovered a few fantastic ways to control such thoughts that really work. These include the obvious meditation ... for ten min's in the morning imagine water washing away each negative thought, as they arise. Remember the mind is essentially a muscle and with work, it can be trained and controlled.

As you walk, focus on an 'OM' mantra - om represents the oneness of our Buddha Nature, and thus thoughts are just winds on the surface of an ocean.

Take a vow to abstain from negative thought processes .... this is a good way to feel like a fresh start and encourage mindfulness, when a negative thought arises.

Research the oneness of all humanity .... this is a good way to reach the realisation, that negative thoughts, as I mentioned before, are just like winds on the suface of the ocean ... they can blow you about. But if your mind is still they cease.

When you feel negative thoughts arising ... inhale for 7 whole seconds .... then exhale for 11 whole seconds, this almost tricks the body into a state of relaxation and calm ... and enables the mind to unwind.

Hope this helps a little x x x
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Smiling for a whole day? :eek: :D
  • I think you probably hate who you really are. And if someone cannot even love himself the right way, yes you will start not to like anyone as you see urself in others :).
  • Thanks everyone. Minimayhen, I wish I had a printer to print out a copy and place it on my mirror. Thanks.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    (....) I wish I had a printer to print out a copy and place it on my mirror.
    Hello!!! Remember longhand? It just takes a little longer but also makes you think harder. And I agree, those are valuable suggestions! :)
  • Good suggestion possibilities. I don't know if it will help me any, but I have it in my drawer in the bathroom to take with the morning pills.
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    What is the negativity about?

Are the thoughts true? Why do you think the people acted in the way they did (to which you reacted negatively)?

In what ways is this negativity bad? Who does it harm? In what way?

What does it make you feel like?
    What do you think they feel when they do things you dislike?
    Are there expectations on your part involved?

Maybe try to take 5 minutes for the person you mention and purposely and completely feel negative about them as much as you can. Make up bad things about them if you have to. Then imagine being that person for the next 5 minutes. Were you wrong in something about them when starting the exercise?

Dunno, it feels to me as if its something important to you in this. Something you want to resolve in one way but think it wouldn't work? Maybe you get carried away into thinking?
    In those situations, it may be that there is simply not enough to work with to resolve it; so you have to decide that whatever comes up about that person, you will deal with it the moment it arises (not deal with what already happened, or what would happen - but only what happens in the present moment, should it happen) - and do so with the best of your intentions and knowledge. More than that, noone can do anyway...