Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So.... where is Zenmonk?

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited May 2006 in Sanghas
I haven't seen him around here lately and I want to make sure he gets his daily dose of lunacy.

-bf

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I've seen him listed fairly regularly on the 'who's online' listing at the bottom of the front page, so I guess he's just not posting. As far as whether he's getting his daily dose of lunacy, it's hard to say.

_/\_
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    I think he's had more than his fair share...
    I happen to know he comes here for a shot of sane madness, though....

;)
  • edited May 2006
    I talked to him a few days ago via pm's. I think he is still coming on here..just not saying much right now. Sure do miss his posts!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Here I am! Here I am! Oh, wait, sorry. Wrong monk!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    LOL!!!

That's the cutest post ever!

Brigid
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Here I am! Here I am! Oh, wait, sorry. Wrong monk!

Palzang

What's up with you, Paly?

Seems like you've been absent from the boards a lot. Been busy?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    What's up with you, Paly?

Seems like you've been absent from the boards a lot. Been busy?

-bf

Hey Bud!

My level of participation seems to go in waves. Sometimes I'm really hooked in, other times not so. I think a lot of it has to do with the sorts of questions/issues being raised. If they've already been addressed a number of times, I usually don't jump in again. If it's something that catches my interest, then I will.

I've also been in kind of a low period lately as well, partly because ever since coming back from Mongolia I haven't been able to find any decent work to speak of (yes, I have to support myself, believe it or don't), and what little money I had is pretty much gone. Right now I'm stuffing envelopes part-time just to have enough money to buy food, to show you how desperate my financial straits have become. It seems like jobs in Sedona have really dried up as I'm not the only one in our sangha having this problem. I'm contemplating moving back to our temple in Maryland because A) it's a heck of a lot easier to find a job that's worth having, and B) I found a couple of language schools there that teach Mongolian one-on-one and tailored to your individual needs. I also, to tell the truth, miss seeing the green. The desert is nice, but after a while...

I'm also nursing a very sore knee that I strained about a month ago and is being very slow in healing, so just getting around is very painful.

Other than that, I'm fine!

So enough about my problems. Let's talk about you - what do you think of my problems? :wtf:

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Palzang,

I love that joke, BTW. I never get sick of it.

It's really, really cool to hear a little about the way you and others in your sangha live. Believe it or not, I find it endlessly interesting. And I bet I'm not the only one.

Brigid
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I agree with Brigid. It's hard for me to imagine what it's like living the monk/nun life. Apparently, it's not all meditation, incense, blessings, and bells. What DO monks do all day long, anyway?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    Palzang,

I'm sorry to hear about your ups and downs....
    It's a horrid phrase to use, because usually it is empty off sentiment, and just said as a placatory measure, but as someone also going through a bit of a rough patch.....

I know how you feel.

Oh, I'm in a 'sharing' mood.....!!

No more grumbling, or sulking,
    or hating my state,
    No more crying, or letting my troubles
    confound me:
    But Laughing -
    And loving the friends all around me -
    And soon, I shall find,
    If I REALLY keep trying.....
    I have enough blessings
    to keep me from crying.

I hope that Life, in some wonderful way or another can shower you with endless breathtaking blessings, as it seems to be doing to me....
    Life is never completely dark when you have good friends.
    They are priceless beyond measure, and the true treasure of any lifetime....a real port in a storm when the weather gets tough.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    One thing I've discovered is that our monastic community is very different from other ones in this country. Most, such as the Zen communities, at least try to live in a monastic setting with a monastery, and their monks and nuns probably don't work, or at least work minimally. Our teacher, however, is a little different. She feels that an ordained person should never expect to be supported, that it would in fact be a violation of their Bodhisattva vow to do so. Rather we should support ourselves and help others as much as we are able. So a lot of us hold jobs, either full-time or part-time, sometimes several jobs. Few make much money, but we make enough to live. Some, like my roommate, are professionals (he's a social worker), so they do much better. I was doing pretty well myself before I ran off to Mongolia to join the circus (?) as I was Research Director for a small nutraceutical company here in Sedona. Unfortunately, the company was sold while I was off gallivanting in the Gobi, and jobs in general have pretty much dried up here (other than the low paying, unskilled variety).

When we're not working, we all put a lot of effort into supporting our 24 hour prayer vigil which has been going on unbroken since 1985 (in Maryland), and since 2000 here in Sedona. In other words, at any time of the day or night there is someone from our sangha sitting in the prayer room practicing for world peace. You can imagine that it's not an easy thing to keep it going, and for over 20 years? Crazy!

As ordained we also have the responsibility to keep the liturgical calendar - Guru Rinpoche Day, Dakini Day, So Jong (confession) every new moon and full moon, etc. Then there are special practices, such as the retreat we've been having every weekend since December for our little girl with cancer. Every day of the week there is a tsog practice also. Tsog is a guru yoga practice with Guru Rinpoche (Padmasambhava) as the central focus and includes a ganachakra feast or food offering. Sort of a Buddhist version of communion. And on top of all this and keeping the temple running, we also have our own practices. And of course, we love to build stupas! Is that enough?

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    Palzang,

I'm sorry to hear about your ups and downs....
    It's a horrid phrase to use, because usually it is empty off sentiment, and just said as a placatory measure, but as someone also going through a bit of a rough patch.....

I know how you feel.

Oh, I'm in a 'sharing' mood.....!!

No more grumbling, or sulking,
    or hating my state,
    No more crying, or letting my troubles
    confound me:
    But Laughing -
    And loving the friends all around me -
    And soon, I shall find,
    If I REALLY keep trying.....
    I have enough blessings
    to keep me from crying.

I hope that Life, in some wonderful way or another can shower you with endless breathtaking blessings, as it seems to be doing to me....
    Life is never completely dark when you have good friends.
    They are priceless beyond measure, and the true treasure of any lifetime....a real port in a storm when the weather gets tough.

As my teacher says, "It's all just phenomena." Nothing to get upset over. This too shall pass...

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    That is soooo cool!! I especially love the 24 hour unbroken prayer vigil for world peace. That totally captures me! You guys are pretty busy.

Thank you, Palzang.

Brigid
    edited May 2006
    :lol::lol: Palzang - I nearly put that - but I didn't want you to think I was being patronising!!

Well said!! ;)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I doubt whether there are many monastic communities which have ever been able to exist without working. In Europe (by which I include the UK!), many still have land to tend as well as larger houses than a simple family home to run.

Our local monastery, Prinknash, has:
    * a farm;
    * a park, open to the public, with a wonderful collection of birds and animals;
    * a pottery;
    * an incense works.
    On top of this, there are the canonical offices, services and prayer vigils, retreats, spiritual support, study. And, of course, personal development through prayer, meditation and study.

I have rarely met busier people than monks and nuns.

I know that this is a contentious question but I continue to wonder if the true Path that Jesus showed or the true Path of the Dharma can fully be experienced without a wholehearted and renunciate commitment such as that involved in taking vows!
  • edited May 2006
    I can only imagine how busy monks and nuns are with all the work that needs to be done in this world!

Palzang, thanks for the giggles today. Your posts are cute. I am sorry to hear you are going through a tough time. My husband and I once thought about moving to Sedona, but decided not to because of the lack of jobs there. It's just such a beautiful place, it's too bad there are not more good jobs. Have you thought about helping out at any of the resorts/hotels/restaurants there? Is there anything you could do at one of those facilities just to get you through this tough time? I am sure you have already looked into that, but just thought I would mention it.

Hang in there and I hope you get to feeling better soon! Please keep us posted and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

Namaste.
    Kim
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    We joined our communities with all the enthusiasm that is appropriate. As with marriage, the monastic life is harder than anybody ever knows until they have tried it. My own Mag. Nov. (Novice Master) certainly did his best to show us that the monastic bed of roses has more thorns than blooms!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Palzang wrote:

Hey Bud!

My level of participation seems to go in waves. Sometimes I'm really hooked in, other times not so. I think a lot of it has to do with the sorts of questions/issues being raised. If they've already been addressed a number of times, I usually don't jump in again. If it's something that catches my interest, then I will.

I've also been in kind of a low period lately as well, partly because ever since coming back from Mongolia I haven't been able to find any decent work to speak of (yes, I have to support myself, believe it or don't), and what little money I had is pretty much gone. Right now I'm stuffing envelopes part-time just to have enough money to buy food, to show you how desperate my financial straits have become. It seems like jobs in Sedona have really dried up as I'm not the only one in our sangha having this problem. I'm contemplating moving back to our temple in Maryland because A) it's a heck of a lot easier to find a job that's worth having, and B) I found a couple of language schools there that teach Mongolian one-on-one and tailored to your individual needs. I also, to tell the truth, miss seeing the green. The desert is nice, but after a while...

I'm also nursing a very sore knee that I strained about a month ago and is being very slow in healing, so just getting around is very painful.

Other than that, I'm fine!

So enough about my problems. Let's talk about you - what do you think of my problems? :wtf:

Palzang

I think it sucks, to tell you the truth.

There are many experiences I've had the opportunity to do in my life (work in Australia, work in Sierra Leone, etc.) that I would have loved to do. Unfortunately, I'm not the type of person that takes risks. There came a point in my life (when my son was born) that I realized I had to make sure (or I felt I had to) that I would be able to take care of him, put food on the table, roof over our heads - because this did not seem to be a priority for my spouse at that time.

So, I've always tried to play things safe - and have missed out on a lot of opportunities. You, on the other hand, have taken some risks and have some very memorable experiences to look back on. Hopefully, there were a lot of good experiences :)

I hope things take a turn for the better for you. I hate hearing of people that I know going through difficulties. It really bothers me.

If you could get a plant planting tulips for $20.00 an hour - would you do it?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I think it sucks, to tell you the truth.

There are many experiences I've had the opportunity to do in my life (work in Australia, work in Sierra Leone, etc.) that I would have loved to do. Unfortunately, I'm not the type of person that takes risks. There came a point in my life (when my son was born) that I realized I had to make sure (or I felt I had to) that I would be able to take care of him, put food on the table, roof over our heads - because this did not seem to be a priority for my spouse at that time.

So, I've always tried to play things safe - and have missed out on a lot of opportunities. You, on the other hand, have taken some risks and have some very memorable experiences to look back on. Hopefully, there were a lot of good experiences :)

I hope things take a turn for the better for you. I hate hearing of people that I know going through difficulties. It really bothers me.

If you could get a plant planting tulips for $20.00 an hour - would you do it?

-bf

Well, it's just samsara. One minute you're in the god realm, the next the hell realm. That's just the way it is. That's why we practice, to get out of this mess! As for taking risks, I understand how you feel, but as Trungpa Rinpoche once said, in order to attain enlightenment you have to be willing to just give up everything, take a dive into the unknown with no point of reference and putting your trust in the Dharma. So I think it all boils down to how bad you want out. I'm not saying that being a parent and raising compassionate, loving children is bad, please understand.

I forgot to mention that we also have an aviary for abused and neglected birds, like cockatoos and macaws, and Tara's Babies, a dog rescue operation that started in New Orleans after Katrina and now has morphed into a rescue organization for dogs in pounds about to be euthanized. We also have some abandoned iguanas and a large land tortoise that we've taken in. All of this is being done by a sangha which numbers about 50. So yeah, we do keep busy!

Palzang