Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samsara: Documentary

edited April 2012 in Arts & Writings

Samsara takes the form of a guided meditation that will transform viewers as they are swept along a journey of the soul. Through powerful images photographed in 70mm and a dynamic music score, the film illuminates the links between humanity and the rest of the nature.

"Visually breathtaking unlike anything you will ever see" Indiewire

"A triumph of the moving image" IN70MM.com

Samsara Trailer (Documentary 2012). From the creators of Baraka, the movie, directed by Ron Fricke, opens august 24th, 2012.

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Lovely! Thanks!
  • Wow, this is very similar to what @patbb posted... :buck:
  • Looks awsome!
  • Wow, this is very similar to what @patbb posted... :buck:
    lol! I didn't even see that. Woops!
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Regardless of how good the documentary itself might be, this is one of those trailers that flood us with interesting or curious imagery but without giving any single clue of what the movie is about. I hate to have to google always.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Baraka movie/documental was awesome, I really looking fordward to this new one too.
  • I never even heard of Baraka... waiting for it to come in the mail now.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    I never even heard of Baraka... waiting for it to come in the mail now.
    you are in for a treat!
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited March 2014

Just discovered this by myself, and then did a NB search before starting a thread - beaten to it (how wonderful) - Take some time to watch it and and discover something, that is Nirvana in the making or is just there already!

It really is a visual guided meditation.

Metta

https://chopracentermeditation.com/store

Stuff like this makes me want to say

FOFF

edited March 2014

Don't want to be vegetarian after watching it - you are your own guide!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I actually enjoyed Baraka more, but I'm not sure why. It seemed to have a more concentration on people than some of the strangeness that Samsara has. I watch both of them often, though. I really love some parts of Samsara as well, just some of it was strange, like the man who covers himself with clay doing artistic...I can't think of the word. Of course, life is strange, too, lol. Both are excellent.

edited March 2014

I think that is the point of that sequence @Karasti, we all cover ourselves in clay repeatedly, unknowingly and irreverently at times, and paint that ridiculously masked face and defile ourselves, and, and and - !

This film made was a wonderful experience and made me glad to expose my buddhist nature!

There is nothing more beneath it. And if that is all there is.... I'm watching Baraka next

Mettha

Invincible_summer

Good point, I did not think of it that way. It totally creeps me out, and so do, kinda of, the dancing girls at the beginning. In some stages they look like dolls. Creepy, and sad. Thus is life!

edited March 2014

but that is what drew me in @karasti - what was behind the unemotional porcelain figurines?

The director deserves an OSCAR - Oh So sCary At Revelation - Pardon my ridiculous humour!

It was just very different from Baraka, that was my only point :) I saw Baraka first, and picked up Samsara knowing it was along the same theme, so I was taken aback a little (not in a bad way) at how different it was than it's predecessor.

:)

cool - Out of genuine interest when you watched it did it pull on your heart strings? did the chicken scooper make you feel as sick as it made me feel. Also did the realisation that in whatever capacity you performed your job, you were part of a production line kick in, even as a shoaling monk!

I found this interview with the creators of the movies and this is what they said about the clay man, their take (whatever we take away is really all that matters, it's our experience, after all)

The guy in the suit with the clay was interesting in that it’s quite dramatic and different compared to all the other sequences. I didn’t quite know what to make of it in terms of how it fits into the film as a whole. What does it mean?

Mark: The performance is all about the shadow that’s in all of us. It’s the part of us that we don’t want anyone else to see.

I found that most of the show made me feel both anxious and sad, and responsible. It's a very heavy show. I've seen it several times, and will watch it periodically after my meditations. I always come away with a bit of a different view than the other times I saw it. Same with Baraka but that is, in my experience, more about the interconnected ness of life rather than the suffering of the cycle of it. Yes, I found both the chicks, the dairy cows, the slaughterhouse, and the factory sequences to be quite disturbing and sickening. It made me feel that, as primitive as some of the other people filmed, they are the lucky ones to not be living in the same world we live in.

anataman