Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The infinite book of the Jataka

DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
edited April 2012 in General Banter
I don't mean to be sacreligious on anybody and this is not meant to offend but it is something that just struck me now.

What if these impermanent selves are all reincarnations of the same exact thing on a quest (or maybe process is a better word to steer clear of original intent) to see from all viewpoints?

If all is truely happening right now, could each of our individual lives and even our individual dreams be Jataka tales?

Just a passing thought.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    [speculation]I kind of wonder if there isn't some ultimate point to existence as well. Mind without phenomena to perceive is essentially the same thing as nothing. So I wonder if ignorance maybe arose as a way to learn and move from simply Mind without knowledge to an enlightened Mind with understanding. This idea would seem to posit a first cause though and doesn't hold up to reason.[/speculation]
  • Sound. Gone. Sound. Gone.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I don't mean to be sacreligious on anybody and this is not meant to offend but it is something that just struck me now.

What if these impermanent selves are all reincarnations of the same exact thing on a quest (or maybe process is a better word to steer clear of original intent) to see from all viewpoints?

If all is truely happening right now, could each of our individual lives and even our individual dreams be Jataka tales?

Just a passing thought.
    By "same exact thing" do you mean some sort of permanent self?
  • [speculation]I kind of wonder if there isn't some ultimate point to existence as well. Mind without phenomena to perceive is essentially the same thing as nothing. So I wonder if ignorance maybe arose as a way to learn and move from simply Mind without knowledge to an enlightened Mind with understanding. This idea would seem to posit a first cause though and doesn't hold up to reason.[/speculation]

Interesting idea, enjoyed it, thanks.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Just a passing thought.
    By "same exact thing" do you mean some sort of permanent self?
    I guess if the universe could gradually be considered a self but even then I'm sure it would be in a constant state of change.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    [speculation]I kind of wonder if there isn't some ultimate point to existence as well. Mind without phenomena to perceive is essentially the same thing as nothing. So I wonder if ignorance maybe arose as a way to learn and move from simply Mind without knowledge to an enlightened Mind with understanding. This idea would seem to posit a first cause though and doesn't hold up to reason.[/speculation]
    I liked it but am not sure how it implies a first cause.

I liked it but am not sure how it implies a first cause.

The first cause for the arising of ignorance. The manifest world can be said to arise as a result of our deluded karma, or at least our perception of it as ignorant. If at some point there was no ignorance but also no wisdom, what is the cause for the first moment of ignorance? Also an independently existent Mind is highly suspect to the logic of emptiness.
    edited April 2012
    @Person;

The arising of ignorance could just be a by-product of simplicity but that doesn't mean there is a first cause to the arising of ignorance.

If there was no ignorance and no wisdom, there was still the potential for ignorance and wisdom growing in my honest opinion.
    Also an independently existent Mind is highly suspect to the logic of emptiness.
    I'm not sure what you mean by an independantly existing Mind. A consciousness that needs no developement? I can't say I rightly find that logical either.

Emptiness is precisely form and form is precisely emptiness. Siddhartha was shed, so what is Buddha?

edited April 2012
    The arising of ignorance could just be a by-product of simplicity but that doesn't mean there is a first cause to the arising of ignorance.
    This is an interesting thought, I'll have to chew on it a while.
    I'm not sure what you mean by an independantly existing Mind. A consciousness that needs no developement? I can't say I rightly find that logical either.
    An independent Mind or something is kind of what is implied by saying "reincarnations of the exact same thing." That there is something apart from our reality that exists in its own right. I guess what I mean is something like a primordial universal consciousness, but I don't see that it really holds up to scrutiny.
    Emptiness is precisely form and form is precisely emptiness. Siddhartha was shed, so what is Buddha?
    You forgot emptiness is not other than form and form is not other than emptiness. Meaning even the Buddha's mind can't be said to exist independently of the 5 skandhas.
    edited April 2012
    So then what or who is "awake" exactly?

The 5 skandhas?

P.S. Wouldn't "not other than" pretty much mean the same thing as "precisely"?
    edited April 2012
    I have to use the rose analogy here again. The rose is alive and because it doesn't have a brain to distinguish between things, it doesn't suffer the illusion of seperation like we do.

The rose is the entire universe.

And it is alive.
    So then what or who is "awake" exactly?

The 5 skandhas?
    Yes, good question. I think the Buddhist answer is that there is no one that is awake beyond the 5 skandhas. The imputation of a self comes later due to ignorance.
    P.S. Wouldn't "not other than" pretty much mean the same thing as "precisely"?
    In the wording I suppose so, but in the logic of "reincarnations of the exact same thing", the exact same thing is a seperate entity. Maybe something like what you are saying occurs but I think it would need to be conceived of differently.
    I have to use the rose analogy here again. The rose is alive and because it doesn't have a brain to distinguish between things, it doesn't suffer the illusion of seperation like we do.

The rose is the entire universe.

And it is alive.
    Alive and sentient are seperate things. The rose may not suffer the illusion of seperation but since it has no cognition whatsoever it also doesn't have the wisdom of seeing itself as the entire universe or seeing itself as anything at all. Ignorance or wisdom, perception of any kind simply doesn't apply to a rose.
    edited April 2012
    Apparently, it doesn't really apply to anything.;)

It's all trappings.

Ignorance, wisdom... It's all the same thing.

There are no true opposites.

We are all aspects of the same thing... Including the rose.
    In the Bahudhatuka Sutta Buddha said it was possible to break down the elements into six. All physical phenomena are made up of air, water, fire, earth, space and consciousness.

(5-7)

Why consciousness? He's talking about all physical phenomena.

This seems to be the only version I can find online under The Disourse of the Many Realms.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+bahudhatuka-sutta+and+its+parallels+on+women's+inabilities.-a0229832356

In the Bahudhatuka Sutta Buddha said it was possible to break down the elements into six. All physical phenomena are made up of air, water, fire, earth, space and consciousness.

(5-7)

Why consciousness? He's talking about all physical phenomena.

This seems to be the only version I can find online under The Disourse of the Many Realms.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+bahudhatuka-sutta+and+its+parallels+on+women's+inabilities.-a0229832356

This is interesting. Also in the Kalachackra tantra cosmology I've heard it said that in between universes when it abides in nothingness, matter exists as 'space particles', so there is some concept of immateriality as some type of substance. These types of things may or may not exist but I think they would still fall under the umbrella of emptiness and not be a truly existent phenomena.
    Sounds like the big crunch...

That would require a slowing down though which has yet to be observed. I don't believe in different universes but perhaps sub-universes. The big bang could be just another speck among specks.
    Sounds like the big crunch...

That would require a slowing down though which has yet to be observed. I don't believe in different universes but perhaps sub-universes. The big bang could be just another speck among specks.
    Yeah, my point wasn't so much about the temporal Buddhist cosmology of a universe, but about seemingly immaterial space particles.

There may be some type of all pervasive, immaterial substrate to our existence but I think in Buddhist logic even that wouldn't be the ultimate nature of the universe but only still a conventional phenomena subject to arising and ceasing and interdependence.
  • Just consciousness arising to consciousness due to conditions.
    edited April 2012
    @Person;
    Yeah, my point wasn't so much about the temporal Buddhist cosmology of a universe, but about seemingly immaterial space particles.

There may be some type of all pervasive, immaterial substrate to our existence but I think in Buddhist logic even that wouldn't be the ultimate nature of the universe but only still a conventional phenomena subject to arising and ceasing and interdependence.
    I'm reading that last bit over and over and it makes sense to me but only up until the distinction is made between arising/ceasing/interdependance and the true nature of the universe.

The only thing that stays the same is that everything changes. There is no continuance or causation without constant change.

@Taiyaki;

I agree with you in essence but it's a bit vague. It's my curious nature to look deeper and I know this is unimportant in relation to dealing with the here and now but I enjoy it. But then I think it could be important. If we could understand the universe better we may be able to see that resources are unlimited.

We've been trying to invent a perpetual motion machine for a long time but we've been flying around in one forever.

I'm reading that last bit over and over and it makes sense to me but only up until the distinction is made between arising/ceasing/interdependance and the true nature of the universe.

The only thing that stays the same is that everything changes. There is no continuance or causation without constant change.
    In your OP you said "What if these impermanent selves are all reincarnations of the same exact thing on a quest." I guess what I'm arguing against is the way you worded this, because as you say everything changes.

Arising and ceasing is another way of saying impermanence. Interdependence is another way to say emptiness or no self. The true nature of things in Buddhism doesn't have some kind of thingness that stays the same, there isn't something that changes over time, as @taiyaki likes to say, its all flux.
    .....What Nagarjuna is pointing to is that believing things are impermanent involves a contradiction. First we posit separate, persisting things (in effect, absolute objects); and then we refer to them as impermanent (that is relative). What we fail to see is that we are still holding to a view of substance. We don't really appreciate the thoroughgoing nature of change, the thorough-going nature of selflessness.

We don't really appreciate the thoroughgoing nature of change, the thorough-going nature of selflessness. Nagarjuna makes it abundantly clear that impermanence (the relative) is total, complete, thoroughgoing, Absolute. It's not that the universe is made up of innumerable objects in flux. There's Only flux. Nothing is (or can be) riding along in the flux, like a cork in a stream; nothing actually arises or passes away. There's only stream.

..... That forms appear to come and go cannot be denied. But to assume the existence of imaginary persisting entities and attach them to these apparent comings and goings is delusion....

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2010/04/buddhism-is-not-what-you-think.html?m=0
    edited April 2012
    I understand what you're saying and I agree. I am not attaching any kind of personality to the stream, but saying that we are the stream itself. If the stream or flux could be said to have any personality, it would have to be all personalities.

I agree that is a big "if".

If nothing passes or arises in the stream while at the same time, there is only the stream, then it stands to reason the stream is all inclusive.

I'm not going to copy and paste from it but I urge you to read what Thich Nhat Hanh says about it. This will take you to an excerpt of his book No Death, No Fear.

http://www.dharmagates.com/no_birth_no_death.html

• What is motion if its happening in motion itself?

Imagine a wheel on a treadmill. Though it is moving and in motion, is it really moving?
    And what gives the idea of motion or even non motion? Aren't these just projections of entities? Motion only occurs when points are connected by a mind. Non motion only occurs in relationship to previous points of motion.

Just some thoughts I spit out prior to eating pizza. Don't take it too seriously!

Space, time, motion is you. And not separate from you. So where you go, when you go, and where you move to is directly influenced by you. There is no time, space, and motion apart from you. And you are just a thought, then gone. Then when conditions are ripe another thought. Our of ignorance (seeing otherness) we create a center called me, my, i. From that center we connect one thought to another. When in reality they have really no connection other than the ones we connect and project.

Ok pizza time.
    edited April 2012
    @Taiyaki;

I could go for some pizza... Hmm.

I agree with you about me not being a fixed entity but I still feel that to negate the individual is to negate the way things go. I agree with the teachings of no-self as a tool to see beyond the individual self but not to abandon the individual self. I feel it's then no good to anybody or the whole/flux/stream/Way. While we are here, we may as well explore and help us grow.

The Dharma as I have come to accept it has led me to see that expanding the sense of self to include all that is is what non-seperation and no-self is really all about.

In this way compassion is very literally common sense.

There is no non-seperation without something being divided. And a whole can be divided infinitely.
  • Well the stream cannot be grasped as self, me, my, i, or any kind of thing or even to call the process as a self because that would be solidifying the dependent originated process as something truly existent.

Dependently originated phenomena be it self or other have no applications of existence, non existence, both or neither.

But lets go direct. Anatta is a Buddhist seal.

In seeing just the seen, no seer.
    In feeling just the sensation, no feeler.
    In tasting just the taste, no taster.
    In smelling just the smell, no smeller.
    In thinking just the thought, no thinker.
    In hearing just the sound, no hearer.

The subject is an after thought that references back to some vague entity.
    But in direct experience there is only the non dual arising of consciousness upon contact.

Can we say this stream of consciousness arising and falling dependent upon conditions is self? We can but that is a thought projection.

So maybe i do agree with you but only in that we only exist as nominal projections onto processes, which cannot be pinned down. And even the nominal projection, Gone!
    I understand what you're saying and I agree. I am not attaching any kind of personality to the stream, but saying that we are the stream itself. If the stream or flux could be said to have any personality, it would have to be all personalities.

If nothing passes or arises in the stream while at the same time, there is only the stream, then it stands to reason the stream is all inclusive.

I'm not going to copy and paste from it but I urge you to read what Thich Nhat Hanh says about it. This will take you to an excerpt of his book No Death, No Fear.

What it sounds like you're talking about is going from the small, individual "I" to the big, universal "I", maybe not. The notion of a universal "I" is Advaita Vedanta a branch of Hinduism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advaita_Vedanta
    edited April 2012
    Well the stream cannot be grasped as self, me, my, i, or any kind of thing or even to call the process as a self because that would be solidifying the dependent originated process as something truly existent.
    I can see it being both a verb and a noun or a combination of the two. What you said there reminded me of something from the Tao Te Ching...

The tao that can be told
    is not the eternal Tao
    The name that can be named
    is not the eternal Name.
    Dependently originated phenomena be it self or other have no applications of existence, non existence, both or neither.
    But they are "here" (whatever that is) regardless.
    But lets go direct. Anatta is a Buddhist seal.

In seeing just the seen, no seer.
    In feeling just the sensation, no feeler.
    In tasting just the taste, no taster.
    In smelling just the smell, no smeller.
    In thinking just the thought, no thinker.
    In hearing just the sound, no hearer.

The subject is an after thought that references back to some vague entity.
    But in direct experience there is only the non dual arising of consciousness upon contact.
    Exactly. There is no object or subject to define as "me" but just the interaction and the consequent reaction. This means that any attributes placed on either subject or objects are just manifestations born from interaction itself.

Our actions are our only true possessions because all we consist of is action.
    Can we say this stream of consciousness arising and falling dependent upon conditions is self? We can but that is a thought projection.
    I tend to think natural selection leans towards thought projection for a benefit and that evolution runs on some kind of instinct. Duality may be just a tool but it is a useful one once we recognise it for what it is.
    So maybe i do agree with you but only in that we only exist as nominal projections onto processes, which cannot be pinned down. And even the nominal projection, Gone!
    So where does compassion come into play in this outlook? How does it naturally arise in your understanding of the Dharma?

With that question, I'm not trying to be weird, I just enjoy learning about other viewpoints.

edited April 2012

What it sounds like you're talking about is going from the small, individual "I" to the big, universal "I", maybe not. The notion of a universal "I" is Advaita Vedanta a branch of Hinduism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advaita_Vedanta
    I do see the universe in all things and all things in the universe but wouldn't name it as it's an infinite process which means it will always be in a state of change.

• hereness is also a projection based on a reference point in relationship to past and future.
    there is no such thing as hereness, present moment, etc. these are just thought projections onto "the stream" which cannot be pin pointed thus application of where, when or who do not apply. Even any view, position or theory is merely a thought.

Compassion is the natural expression of wisdom. For instance a bodhisattva has direct perception of the emptiness of all phenomena. A bodhisattva would see a suffering being and upon such contact neither aversion, nor attachment arises but what arises is sadness. Out of such sadness arises the desire to help in some way. On a relative level it is doing what is most obvious to help the individual. On the absolute level it is attaining full buddhahood to benefit all beings infinitely. But fundamentally the bodhisattva realizes they are no intrinsically existent suffering beings, nor is there some kind of liberator to those suffering beings. Everything is a karmic vision based on causes and conditions. Thus everything is used to manifest all the positive qualities of buddhahood. Infinite love is possible because one has enough momentum to end craving and aversion through the vision of wisdom. Spontaneous compassionate action arises only from the vision of emptiness. Everything else is just spiritual materialism, though valuable to condition oneself to have direct access to prajna wisdom. Just my opinion.

I do see the universe in all things and all things in the universe but wouldn't name it as it's an infinite process which means it will always be in a state of change.

I think thats a fair view, just be sure not to reify it into a 'thing'.

If you don't know about it, you may like to learn about the two truths doctrine of Nagarjuna. It understands the emptiness of all things while still allowing for a conventional self or reality. In fact it says the only reason a conventional reality can exist is because it is ultimately empty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_truths_doctrine
    edited April 2012
    hereness is also a projection based on a reference point in relationship to past and future.
    there is no such thing as hereness, present moment, etc. these are just thought projections onto "the stream" which cannot be pin pointed thus application of where, when or who do not apply. Even any view, position or theory is merely a thought.
    Even if "here" is illusion, we are still here by default.

The past and the future do not exist except as what now used to be or what it may become but everything happens now. Now isn't non-existant... It is all there really is.
    Compassion is the natural expression of wisdom. For instance a bodhisattva has direct perception of the emptiness of all phenomena. A bodhisattva would see a suffering being and upon such contact neither aversion, nor attachment arises but what arises is sadness. Out of such sadness arises the desire to help in some way. On a relative level it is doing what is most obvious to help the individual. On the absolute level it is attaining full buddhahood to benefit all beings infinitely. But fundamentally the bodhisattva realizes they are no intrinsically existent suffering beings, nor is there some kind of liberator to those suffering beings. Everything is a karmic vision based on causes and conditions. Thus everything is used to manifest all the positive qualities of buddhahood. Infinite love is possible because one has enough momentum to end craving and aversion through the vision of wisdom. Spontaneous compassionate action arises only from the vision of emptiness. Everything else is just spiritual materialism, though valuable to condition oneself to have direct access to prajna wisdom. Just my opinion.

I agree if the vision of emptiness includes inter-being.

edited April 2012

If you don't know about it, you may like to learn about the two truths doctrine of Nagarjuna. It understands the emptiness of all things while still allowing for a conventional self or reality. In fact it says the only reason a conventional reality can exist is because it is ultimately empty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_truths_doctrine
    In the Mahaprajnaparamita Shastra Nagarjuna says;

All phenomena that arise independantly,
    I say that they are empty.
    Words come to an end because their message is false.
    Words come to an end because there is a Middle way.

It's all about the Middle way.

• I'm pretty agnostic to the appearances. Maybe because thats been my current practice.

Taco bell time.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The 6 elements are another way of analysing human experience, similar to the 5 aggregates - these are not intended to be a description of "reality".
    This sounds like Atman?

edited April 2012
    I'm pretty agnostic to the appearances. Maybe because thats been my current practice.

Taco bell time.
    I'm pretty agnostic towards everything. These kinds of beliefs are fun but they're nothing to have faith in.

The 6 elements are another way of analysing human experience, similar to the 5 aggregates - these are not intended to be a description of "reality".
    I have to disagree on the basis of subjective vs. objective reality. The 6 elements are said to be what all manifestations are made of so it does describe subjective reality. The 5 skandhas are how we are able to percieve subjective reality and interact.

This sounds like Atman?

I suppose it could be something like that but with more of a Tao feel instead of some kind of actual personification.

Perhaps some kind of personification could come into play when every single one of us has awakened but since there is still the potential for an infinite amount of us..?

Thanks and I will. The nature of the process won't allow it to become another "thing" for me because it is all things... Some of which will likely always be yet to manifest in form so it will likely always be a work in progress.

Even if every sentient being in the universe woke up it would just signify a new age.

I have to disagree on the basis of subjective vs. objective reality. The 6 elements are said to be what all manifestations are made of so it does describe subjective reality. The 5 skandhas are how we are able to percieve subjective reality and interact.
    I understand the distinction you're making, but "subjective reality" feels like an oxymoron - and it also raises the tricky question of what "reality" is.
    So I prefer to talk about "experience". In these terms the earth element for example actually refers to the experience of solidity and so is directly connected to the sense of touch.
    @Porpoise;

I see where you're coming from as well but denying the subjective experience as a part of the reality is misleading.

Why get out of the way of a moving car? Why not call everybody Jim or forget about having compassion for the non-existant?
    @Porpoise;

I see where you're coming from as well but denying the subjective experience as a part of the reality is misleading.

Why get out of the way of a moving car? Why not call everybody Jim or forget about having compassion for the non-existant?
    I'm not arguing that there isn't something "out there", but that in practice we're working with sense-impressions ( our subjective experience of "out there" ), so it makes sense to focus on those.