Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can anyone help me settle a decade of searching?

ZeroZero Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
Ok so maybe not quite a decade but its been ages.

Have you ever seen someone add a few words in the middle of their first and last name - like a joke?

Like ... John (I'm a comedian) Smith or Bill (they wouldnt invest in my company so I put all the cash in and now I own all the shares haha) Gates?

An online dictionary emailed me a word to describe the above - I'm sure it was just one word that expresses john (what's the word?) smith... i.e: that is called a 'fill the blank'

I've spend ages trying to find the word - please please put me out of my misery!

Comments

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    Nnnngh.

No offense but your post made my brain hurt. You're looking for a word that describes what now?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2012
    If my name weren't per (I'm a smart ass) son, I'd tell you. :D

Seriously though that'd be a useful word to know. I've wondered for a while if there's a word for when on the TV talent shows when they give out the phone number to vote for someone the contestant almost always does some kind of mugging to the camera flashing their number, like 'sign mugging' or something.

There's an old 80's comedy bit by Rich Hall, called Sniglet's: any word that doesn't appear in the dictionary but should. That word would be a perfect fit.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @zayl - The word describes / defines the concept of "First name (joke) Last name"

Exactly how @person put it...

There is one word that means this concept - just like pun for example - if I said he made a pun you'd know what type of joke it was - so also I can say he made a "WTFisitcalled" and you'd know he made a first name (joke) Last name type joke.

@person - how about foolspasm?

@person - how about foolspasm?
    I think I'll use that unless something better comes along. :thumbsup:
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Oh, I've just never seen anything like this.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Please share any improvement - I will happily propagate :D

Sorta like this... :rockon: given this is 'rockon' how about a c***on?!!
    Maybe try Yahoo answers.

http://answers.yahoo.com/
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @(he's never heard of this)zayl :D

Spread the word brother... someone out there knows the answer - I suspect he (or she) has a beard.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    disambiguation.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    OMG - I jumped out of my seat... :D:D:D

Dont do that to me!! oh ok... a few more times then...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Is that the word you are looking for?
    Because that is what it is.....
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Nope... this wasnt it - I dont think (?) - purely as I looked it up on:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disambiguation

Disambiguation appears to be making things unambiguous...

The word I'm looking for means the concept of the joke.... the dictionary definition should say, when one makes a joke such as John (he's a funny guy) Smith...
    Oh.

Then I have no idea...... :scratch:
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Jocularity

John 'Jocularity' Smith?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @federica - thanks for trying - if you come across it in your adventures please let me know...

@tosh - thanks also - nope - its not jocularity..

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jocularity

the definition of the word is very precise (as for example a 'pun')... the definition read when you make a joke such as john 'Jocularity' smith...

Thanks for your efforts ;)
    Well, I found this website which is completely fascinating.....
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    :) cool - thanks for the link - very interesting - tickled me that it is written by 3 people whose names are anything but English!! classic...
    I find unfortunately, that the majority of English people - actually know virtually next to nothing about the grammar, structure and composition of their own language.
    English Grammar is not taught in English schools.
    the same cannot be said of any other European language, and often, 'foreigners' know more about English grammar than the English do.

Sad, isn't it?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    :D so true...

Speaking of which, should that not be "sad, is it not?"
    :crazy: :D :hiding:
    edited May 2012
    I think you'll find that with regard to conjunctive propositions, either phrase is correct.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    ;) worth a shot... in a foolish mood ;)
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    parenthetical jocularity
    you just made that up...... :D