Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Misinterpretation of reincarnation?

edited June 2006 in Buddhism Today
This is just a hypothetical situation I made up. It's to illustrate how some Westerners may have a misunderstanding of reincarnation (Hindu version). However, most like to thnk Buddhism have discuss reincarnation, but as far as I know, it talks about rebirth. Tell me what you think of this story below.

There are these two hardcore family who strongly believe in reincarnation - literally. If reincarnation have found scientific proof, more lawyers will need to understand not only criminal law, property law, business law, but the law of reincarnation in human society.

Let's called the families the "Soun" and "Thy" family. The Souns and Thy were once neighbor, albiet had a lot of conflicts. The Souns consist of a couple (father/mother) and a young boy (age 9). The Thy's are just recently married couple - no kids. The Soun always thought they were higher-class than their neighbor - the Thy's. The Soun would sometimes talk behind their back. Both would always talk behind each other back - the Thy's even threat to take away the Soun's 9 yr. old misbehaving and rude boy to a child support service.

A few years later, Soun's only son died in an accident by falling down a sharp object which landed near his heart. The Soun's sought psychics who told them their son is not dead spiritually but alive here on this world. Confused, the Soun must've thought he must've been alive in heaven or reincarnated somewhere. During this time, the Thy's family was pregnant.

Years went by and Soun and Thy are still bad neighbor. Now, the Thy had a son. As the Thy's son was playing outside without his shirt, the Souns' notice a SIGNIFICANT birthmark on the Thy's son - birthmark that strikely resemble the area in which the knife that killed the Soun's son. Additionally, the young Thy's boy misbehaving personality seemingly resemble that of the Soun's deceased son. Both the Soun's and Thy's decided to discuss this issue about the possiblity of reincarnation.

Autospy examination has reveal mathematical precision in the area Soun's son was penetrated and the birthmark of Thy's young son on the chest. Yet, the mortician do not see how it has anything to do with reincarnation. Both Thy's and Soun's decided to investigate this further with New-Agers, monks, spiritualists for this matter - all of whom indicate reincarnation as a possiblity.

The Soun's now believe that their deceased son must've reincarnated to the Thy's young son at the moment they became pregnant. At this point, these two families are in legal battle and seeking justice authority to determine who's the true ownership of the young boy. They have try to seek a lawyer who's familar with the law of reincarnation, yet have not found such lawyers who believe such a thing seriously to handle in court cases. The Soun's even attempted to kidnap the Thy's son.

The Soun firmly believe their son is reincarnated to the Thy's and want their beloved son back. The Thy's argue that because the wife gave birth, it should belong to them (Thy's). Some people have even talk about Karma being the reason why they are in this situation.

The questions: Does the young boy belong to the Soun's spiritually? Does the young boy belong to the Thy's genetically? Should they both raise the son? Or, is this a worst care of the interpretation of reincarnation?

Comments

• edited May 2006
    It is no longer the Soun's son. He is deceased. He has been reborn to be the Thy's son.
    From what I understand of the story, this is not reincarnation, but rebirth.
    As per Sogyal Rinpoche in The Tibetan Book of Living nd Dying, rebirth is like this:
    "Most people take the word "reincarnation" to imply there is some 'thing' that reincanates, which travels from life to life. But in Buddhism we do not believe in an independent and unchanging entity like soul or ego that survives death of the body. What provides the continuity between lives is not an entity, we believe, but the ultimately sublest level of consciousness." (page 94)

Therefore, to my mind, the son is no longer the same person, but a new 'entity', 'belonging' to the Thy's.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2006
    identityless,

I would have to say that from a strictly Buddhist perspective, the young boy really belongs to nobody, not even himself. He is simply a temporary collection of form, feelings, perceptions, thought formations, and consciousness that has taken on the convention of "the Thy's son". But in truth, there is no one to own, no one to belong to another, no permanent thing that could be said to be "mine", "theirs", "ours", etc..

Since it is considered a parent's duty to rasie their child, it should really be up to the biological family of the young boy to decide what is best for him. So, legally I would have say that whether this young boy was reborn or not, the Thy's should be granted full custody. Perhaps both families could join together and help to rasie him if the Thy's consented, but for whatever reason, the boy was born as the Thy's son.

I can't help but to feel compassion for these hypothetical people. The Soun's are simply attaching to the memory of their lost child, and their attachment is doing nothing but creating a great deal suffering for themselves, as well as the Thys. One could only hope that they were somehow able to realize this, and develop a more skillful attitude towards the whole situation. If only they too could recall the Buddha's words:
    [Patacara recalls the Buddha's words:]

"You don't know
    the path
    of his coming or going,
    that being who has come
    from where? —
    the one you lament as 'my son.'
    But when you know
    the path
    of his coming or going,
    you don't grieve after him,
    for that is the nature
    of beings.

Unasked,
    he came from there.
    Without permission,
    he went from here —
    coming from where?
    having stayed a few days.
    And coming one way from here,
    he goes yet another
    from there.
    Dying in the human form,
    he will go wandering on.
    As he came, so he has gone —
    so what is there
    to lament?"

Pulling out
    —completely out —
    the arrow so hard to see,
    embedded in my heart,
    he expelled from me
    —overcome with grief —
    the grief
    over my son.

Today — with arrow removed,
    without hunger, entirely
    Unbound —
    to the Buddha, Dhamma, & Sangha I go,
    for refuge to
    the Sage.

- Thig VI.1

Sincerely,

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    I'm with Elohim on this one...The Souns have not let go and released their son.... This is the ultimate tragedy, and brings to mind the story of Gotami-Tissa, the mother who desperately asked the Buddha to help her in reviving her dead son....
    She discovered that it is impossible, and came to terms with her loss....

And for arguments' sake, I think it IS important to understand the distinction between reincarnation, and rebirth..... and the two ARE very different, exactly as Sharpiegirl ilustrates.
  • edited May 2006
    Great post Elohim and Buddhist quote.

So far, you guys seem to imply that we're a completely different entity/being right? Does the subtlest consciousness means collective memories? There are monks or those who meditate intensively who claim to be able to remember their past lives. Is this possible?

To add some drama to the hypothetical situation, let's say, as Thy's son grew up a bit, he underwent pastlife regression technique by a spiritual expert. Thy's son was now able to remember his past life and saw that he was indeed the son of the Soun's in his previous life. As a result, he now felt close to his former family. From a "letting go" perspective, it's best to let go of your past-life attachment and move on with your life as if you're a property but belonging to the cosmic universe, right?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    In my opinion, the past should only serve as a lesson to the present.... remember that a past life includes what you were doing this morning.... previous karma is as recent as a minute ago....
    So as I see it, there is little point in reviving or attempting to maintain and continue an essence of the Past...The important is to develop the qualities encouraged by study of the Dharma, and to develop Positive karma for the future....

I could well see why the boy would want to maintain cordial relations with his previous family....providing this did not obscure his current existence, nor distract him from his life, NOW.... It could compliment, but not replace.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2006
    No need for made-up stories. Consider the Dalai Lama or any other tulku. They are reincarnates (if we accept their own and others' testimony). The Dalai Lama, coming to his place as head of authority, did so through birth followed by many years of (as-yet-unfinished) study and practice. He was his parents' child by birth and remains so.

Reading HHDL's autobiographies makes very clear the family love in which he grew up and the deep filial feeling that he experiences. This does not change. He remains the son of fine parents and the sibling of outstanding brothers and sisters.

At the same time, Chenrezig incarnates through him.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Hmmm... I'm currently into the scientific study of rebirths (or otherwise reincarnations etc. etc.), how true is it that birthmarks are a result from past-life trauma? It seems like an observation more than a theory itself...
    edited May 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Hmmm... I'm currently into the scientific study of rebirths (or otherwise reincarnations etc. etc.), how true is it that birthmarks are a result from past-life trauma? It seems like an observation more than a theory itself...

Sounds like superstition to me.
  • edited May 2006
    I can only quote from Rinpoche again, as I do not have the fluency of Elohim, Fed, and Simon...

"The Dalai Lama explains: According to the Buddhist explantion, the ultimate and creative principle is consciousness. There are diffrent levels of consciousness. What we call innermost subtle consciousness is always there. The continuity of that consciousness is almost like something permanent, like the space particles. In the filed of matter that is the space-particles; in the filed of consciousness, it is the Clear Light...The Clear Light, with its special energy, makes the connection with consciousness.

The exact way in which rebirth takes place has been well illustrated with the following example:

The successive existances in a series of rebirths are not like the pearls in a pearl necklace, held together by a string, the 'soul', which passes through all the pearls; rather they are like dice piled up on top of the other. Each die is separate, but it supports th eone above it, which it is functionally connected. Between the dice there is no identity, but conditionality"
    edited May 2006
    I can only quote from Rinpoche again, as I do not have the fluency of Elohim, Fed, and Simon...

Sharpiegirl, you pay me an unmerited compliment, and I thank you....

:wavey:
  • edited May 2006
    i agree with sharpiegirl. It is a new entity. This story seems more a lesson in karma than anything. Yhe fact that the Thy family was so judgemental of the Soun families parenting style and in turn ended up with a child that had the same untamable spirit. I think if both families can agree on rebirth than alot can be learned from one another. They just have to leave ego at the door.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2006
    ajani_mgo,

If you are into the scientific study of rebirth, have you ever heard of Dr. Ian Stevenson, or Dr. Jim Tucker?

Sincerely,

Jason
    edited May 2006
    Only Ian because he seems to be the most respected among this field, as well as argument from skeptics. The best I have heard is of such skeptical arguments seem to be found here: http://www.skepticreport.com/psychics/stevenson-belief.htm which I think can be refuted when you put karma into the equation. :rockon:

However Ian's research seems to require some kind of a Self, a Soul. I'm thinking if this could be avoided.
    edited May 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Only Ian because he seems to be the most respected among this field, as well as argument from skeptics. The best I have heard is of such skeptical arguments seem to be found here: http://www.skepticreport.com/psychics/stevenson-belief.htm which I think can be refuted when you put karma into the equation. :rockon:

However Ian's research seems to require some kind of a Self, a Soul. I'm thinking if this could be avoided.

Brfore you "put karma into the equation", you have to define and identify what you mean by 'karma' in the laboratory. You also have to take the observer into account (vide Heisenberg)
  • edited May 2006
    An alternative outcome to the hypothetical would be that both families, through wonder and faith in the idea that the son is reincarnated from one family to another, realize that in the round of rebirths, we have all had both neighborly and filial, both loving and hostile relations with each other, and both families become devoted to peace not only between them but with all beings, and begin to endeavor in religion as lay disciples.
  • edited May 2006
    Kind of OT question, but what is the stance on believing that there is a spiritual link, that our spirits are taken from life to life?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    There is a connection from one life to the next, but it's not through a "spirit" or a "soul" or anything like that.

I think the stupidest perversion of reincarnation that I have ever heard was told to me by a friend who swears she heard it here in Sedona (to no surprise). It was from a woman who was moving out East somewhere and had decided to euthanize her dog because she didn't have room in the truck for it, but she said it wouldn't be a problem because it would undoubtedly be reborn by her new home and they'd get together again! Seriously!

I agree with those who say that once you leave this life, that's the end of this life. The next life is its own deal. And Vachagotta hit the nail on the head by pointing out that every sentient being we meet has at one time or another been our kind, loving mother.

Palzang
  • edited May 2006
    When I was five or six dad was telling me about how I wouldn't be here if he and mom had never met, and I remember thinking "of course I would, I just wouldn't be *me*". Not that it had anything to do with this thread, but reading this reminded me of that for some reason.
    edited May 2006
    Is it ACTUALLY what you were thinking at the time....? or is it something you later thought you would have been thinking at the time...? A latently applied thought?

pretty astute for a five-year old - !!
    In any case - it's a good point! :)
    edited May 2006
    Palzang-la,

Despite some years of study and practice, as well as meetings with reincarnates in Dharamshala, I am still very confused by what is actually going on when a tulku is reborn. I have tended to turn away from the question as unprofitable to my practice but, as death approaches, I have to admit that I am puzzled. Can you help a poor householder?
  • edited May 2006
    It's what I actually was thinking at the time, not those exact words of course since I was thinking in Swedish, but still :P

I don't think it was particularly astute, it was just something I "knew", it seemed natural to me. I guess that has something to do with why rebirth never seemed like an odd concept to me.
  • edited May 2006
    aquula wrote:
    When I was five or six dad was telling me about how I wouldn't be here if he and mom had never met, and I remember thinking "of course I would, I just wouldn't be *me*". Not that it had anything to do with this thread, but reading this reminded me of that for some reason.

It's funny, I remember thinking the same thing when I was very young, too. Not knowing about reincarnation, I think at that age it might have been just an intuitive response to the unthinkability of not existing. Just glancing at these researches into past lives that was posted, there seems to be a focus on children who claim past lives, so there could be a connection that it was a young age, not so totally entrenched in "this" identity that a "that" identity would not be so unnatural.

in friendliness,
    V.
    edited May 2006
    Hmmm... Perhaps by nature we know of past lives but by nurture we hve been masked with not having one?

Or was it simply becuase we were too young then to understand Death?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Palzang-la,

Despite some years of study and practice, as well as meetings with reincarnates in Dharamshala, I am still very confused by what is actually going on when a tulku is reborn. I have tended to turn away from the question as unprofitable to my practice but, as death approaches, I have to admit that I am puzzled. Can you help a poor householder?

Hmm, yeah, it is a poser, isn't it? I wish I could clear it up for you, but then it'd have to be clear to me, and if it was, then I'd probably be a tulku too! In fact, from conversations I've had with such beings it is often not clear to them what is going on either! Many have said that they have no recollection of their past lives. Others do have such recollections. I think the simple answer is that their intention of returning to samsara again and again until all sentient beings have been liberated is what drives the engine, so to speak. Of course, you also have to ask yourself what is it that is being reborn, or reincarnated as is the case with tulkus. You hear of great masters having multiple reincarnations, a la the three candidates in Little Buddha who were all recognized as reincarnations of the lama who had died, one a reincarnation of the body, another of the speech, another of the mind. What does it all mean? I dunno. It is very confusing, but on the other hand, it is also clear that something is going on.

If you've ever met the reincarnation of a high lama who is the tulku of another great lama you've met, there is no question in your mind that they're the same being, despite differences in appearnance or whatever. Certainly that's true with the Karmapa XVII, who I immediately recognized as soon as I saw his picture. There was no question in my mind that this was the same being I met in his guise as Karmapa XVI.

One time at a public talk Trungpa Rinpoche was asked if he remembered his previous lives. His answer was, "Yes." I think that about sums it up!

My teacher also talks about her former lives sometimes. She says her memories are more sensory than like actual memories. For instance, in her incarnation as Genyenma Ahkon Lhamo at Palyul Monastery in Tibet, she spent most of her life meditating in a cave. Periodically she would emerge to give blessings to the faithful, and she says she has distinct memories of how her hands felt after a full day of touching their heads. As you know, it is said that Tibetans wash only three times in their lives: once when born, once when they get married, and once when they die. So their hair (at least in those days) tended to be a mass of oil and dirt and whatever, so at the end of the day her hands would be literally covered in gunk, and that is what she remembers on a tactile level. Also in her incarnation as Mandarava, she resided in a cave next to Tso Pema, the lake where they tried to burn Padmasambhava at the stake, where she practiced. When her father the King of Zahor sent his soldiers to punish her for consorting with this wild foreigner (Padmasambhava), they had to literally drag her from the cave. She held on so tightly that she actually left holes in the wall of the cave from her fingers grasping so tightly. When we visited the same cave in 1996, her fingers fit the holes exactly, and it brought back a flood of memories for her. So while it's not clear how memory survives death, it does somehow.

Anyway, probably not much help, but they're nice stories!

In regard to the question about birth marks marking injuries from previous lives, I would say they definitely do, at least in some cases. I saw a TV show on just such a case, I think it was on the History Channel or something, about a man who had birthmarks on various parts of his body. During a visit to a Civil War battlefield, he by chance happened on the story of a general who had been wounded very seriously there but who had survived his wounds to go on to live a long life. The wounds, however, had left major scars, including a scar from a bullet that had penetrated his cheek and blown the lower part of his face off. When the man looked at the wounds this general had suffered, they matched his birthmarks exactly, including a large birthmark on his face and jaw that matched the horrific wound the general had suffered. Plus when you compared the picture of the man with the picture of the general, they looked almost identical! This seems to be a clear case of birthmarks matching old wounds from a previous life, and I've heard of others as well, but whether that is always the case, I dunno. It is an interesting phenomenon though, eh?

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Hmmm... Perhaps by nature we know of past lives but by nurture we hve been masked with not having one?

I think I'd vote for the first one, Ajani. I've read of numerous cases where very young children have shown clear memories of past lives that have been confirmed by their parents or others visiting those places, but as they grow older and their little brains get conditioned, those memories fade and eventually disappear altogether. Also a very interesting phenomenon!

Palzang
  • edited May 2006
    How far back can anyone here remember? Your earliest memories? Are they now memories OF memories (obscured/rewritten over time)? Why do memories matter at all? Is it 'attachment' that is the thing to look at? Karmic attachment?
    ajani_mgo wrote:

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    My thoughts when I was a child were much clearer than they are now. I had the same experience as Aqulula and Vacch. And many other clear thoughts. I remember being very young and trying to imagine where I had been before I had been born. I was always contemplating things like that.

My first memory is seeing record albums strewn all around me and I leaned in closer to them and I could see the green apple, both sides, from the Beatles albums, though I didn't know that at the time. But I wasn't allowed to touch them. I had no shirt because I could see my belly and I was wearing diapers. So I guess I was sitting on the rug in the basement in my diapers surrounded by my brother's Beatles records. Whenever I saw the apple on the albums I knew they were my brother's and I shouldn't touch.

My mother also has a clear first memory. Her real mother (Maddie) died of tuberculosis in 1935 when my mother was an infant and my mother's first memory is pointing up to a shelf in a cupboard that was open, pointing to a play tea set wrapped in plastic and hearing her mother say "You better not, Chess, it might be covered in germs." Chess was my mother's real father. After Maddie died and Chess proved to be the cad he was, my mother was adopted by Maddie's sister, Jean, and her husband Bob.
  • edited May 2006
    I do suspect genetics is part of the equation.

My experience is that when young, there is little dichotomy between other and self (mother/child), and that extends to what is real/unreal and this life/that life. I'm 45 now, and my memories of being young are actually memories of memories, but I do recall events when I was 3, 2, 1, a white light, and of dying in the past life. It was all 'natural'....something that was just there...part of the fabric/oneness of being...no dichotomy. I probably would have forgotten or 'pooh poohed' the past life memory if I had a way to rationalize it, or mentally compartmentalize it. But somehow, it persisted...just there and nothing special.

It has only been resolved in the past two years. After experiencing kensho, and then discovering Buddhism as a paradigm, I see this past life memory as karma working in this life. I actually read somewhere (TBLD?) that the passing from the last bardo in this life was important...that it should be stressless because the one passing would bring the last moments as an impression to the next bardos. The moment I made that connection, that 'ah ha', I was finally able to shelve that memory. The attachment became dust.

I see Buddhism as a science of liberation, and past life memories are an added layer of stuff that one needs to address. So, fortunate are those that don't have all that old baggage.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Wow. My jaw is resting on my chest, Harlan. That was an incredible post. I could go on and on about some of the things you wrote. I'm absolutely gob smacked, as they say across the ocean. There is so much to think about in what you wrote and I feel it all on such a deep level.
    But somehow, it persisted...just there and nothing special.
    I know what you mean about these things not feeling extraordinary.
    The attachment became dust.
    I love the way you put this. I can also use it for visualization.

Your post has stopped me in my tracks and got me really thinking deeply. Thank you so much.

Brigid
    edited May 2006
    That's quotable...

"The attachment became dust."...

Diamond-clear perception in a few simple words.

My jaw has, metaphorically speaking, joined yours, brigid....
    edited May 2006
    Hmmm... Do operation scars count? If yes, I pity my next life, he's gonna get disfigured with a 15cm birthmark down his left side of the body (hey! Didn't the Buddha got born thorugh his mum this way? LOL.) and an obvious birthmark just below the heart... Hehe...

If birthmarks are remainders from wounds, it could give us a hint to what is being passed from one life to another...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Scar tissue? :scratch:
    edited May 2006
    LOL
    edited June 2006
    Revd Chad Varah who founded The Samaritans (telephone suicide helpline now general support) told us that he could read from birth. It was a memory and terrified his nurse and parents. He said that he just could not discount rebirth even tho' he couldn't explain it.

My own anam cara, who had spent time with Dom Bede Griffiths, used to ask, "When the spark returns to the flame and the atman to the Brahman, does it still have our name on it?" I don't know, anymore than he did, and I may find out, only to forget 'next time round'.