Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

HH Dalai Lama to donate $1.1M to charity

BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
edited May 2012 in Buddhism Today

Dalai Lama to donate Templeton Prize money to charity

His Holiness the Dalai Lama has announced that he will donate his £1.1 million ($1.1 million) Templeton Prize to charities supporting children’s rights, meditation research, and science education. The Templeton Prize, which His Holiness received in a ceremony held at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London on Monday, is bestowed upon those deemed to have made an “exceptional contribution to affirming life’s spiritual dimension, whether through insight, discovery, or practical works.”

Full story here: http://shambhalasun.com/sunspace/?p=26323

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    The Dalai Lama made a very large donation to charity when he was in Taiwan, after the big flood in the center of the island. The Tibetan gov't doesn't just take in money, it does make charitable donations to causes not related to Tibetans.
  • In one if his books I remember him saying how little research has been done into meditation and the potentials it may have on the body. He feels from his practice that there is a great potential there that is widely unrecognized, so I can see why he wants to get it out there in the open. Also I think him being interested in science or at least giving attention to science, is a way to bring science to finding realizations/connections into buddhist practice.

By the way not note in the originak post
    "£1.1 million ($1.1 million)"

Either the dollar has done really well recently and the pound as screwed up!
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    By the way not note in the originak post
    "£1.1 million ($1.1 million)"

Either the dollar has done really well recently and the pound as screwed up!
    Not sure... the amount was a direct quote from Shambhala Sun Space. Perhaps their editors simply goofed.
  • In one if his books I remember him saying how little research has been done into meditation and the potentials it may have on the body. He feels from his practice that there is a great potential there that is widely unrecognized, so I can see why he wants to get it out there in the open. Also I think him being interested in science or at least giving attention to science, is a way to bring science to finding realizations/connections into buddhist practice.
    That's very true.