Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

One little disappointment

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
These days, one little idea creeped into my head : I have tons of knowledge, but I don't know how or where to apply it (like 95% of this knowledge).

For example ( a short one, mostly from the past) : I had to make essays (in high-school) for my Romanian Literature subject (as homework), and I had a lot of ideas about what to put into the content, but I had no idea how to begin (I didn't want the essay to have a 3rd grade-like introduction) , and I ended up with the 3rd grade-like introduction anyways ( the teacher corrected that once, corrected that twice, but she gave up) .

Now, I still need to find out, but I don't have any clues about where should I put my knowledge into use. Let's say that I read Dan Millman's book 'The way of the peaceful warrior' and, although it had ( what seemed like) tons of advice of how to sharpen your character, I still can't find the way to apply even one of these things in real life.

Where should I start ?

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Let's say that I read Dan Millman's book 'The way of the peaceful warrior' and, although it had ( what seemed like) tons of advice of how to sharpen your character, I still can't find the way to apply even one of these things in real life.

Where should I start ?
    I think you should start with those who you live with; your family. It's normally these people that we often find it toughest to deal with because we see all their 'faults'.

Be understanding, kind and helpful to them.

And if you have any spare time, offer your services to some charity; that's very rewarding and you'll learn a lot too.

Hopefully someone will come along with some better advice.

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Thumb up for you, Tosh.

Well, for the family part, I've kinda reached the middle of the road ( great progresses since I started meditating) with the understanding. Still have to work here.

As for charitable work, the only place I know I could be accepted without hesitation ( but I don't really have the spare time) is at the animal adoption center in my college's campus (Veterinary College). Or ( don't know if charity work = working volunteer at a private vet cabinet) I could go as a volunteer at a vet cabinet ( I will go; I'm waiting to pass this exam session and there I go).
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @NomaDBuddha I get this feeling when I have a lot of tasks/choices/etc. I call it an overload. The best method I have found for breaking free, is to start and start with something small. Implement it the very second you know what to do. Postponing your actions only shows that you aren't too keen on that change. Success at the beginning will encourage you to continue, whereas starting something too big, too complex, and/or to early can discourage you.

Can you give an example of something that you have learned that you might want to put into practice? Just pick something that is interesting to you and don't give any thought about how to apply it in your life.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

I have tons of knowledge, but I don't know how or where to apply it (like 95% of this knowledge).

Where should I start ?
    Start at the begining and take small baby steps - things you can manage.

It is challenging looking at an idea and wondering how you can apply it - or considering that you know ' a lot' and that it is 'applicable' in practical situations - probably easier to undertake your daily activities mindfully and naturally allow your knowledge to manifest into action.

If the knowledge is not readily applicable and you're content with your life then hey ho...
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @tmottes

I'm not overloaded ( for the moment). I just...had this thought about the things, information, data, etc, gathered over the years and catching dust on the shelves of my subconscious.
    A secondary problem is, that I began things, I kept 'walking' with them ( martial arts, and basketball) until things got a lil' expensive and had to take hard exams (to pass from general school to high school) so I was forced to quit. I can keep basketball 'alive' to say, but not in the manner that I'll re-master the skills I gained.

The example : I've learned lots of maths, lots of physics, lots of biology ( not the case about catching dust here) and whole other things that enter the 'general culture' ( don't know how you call this in English). These things just stand still, getting 'rusty' in my brain.
    The problem, as I said, is that I don't know where and how to start. To put this into simple words : " I don't have the capacity to find my own way by myself".

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I kind of think that the knowledge and information we gather is the realm of intelligence but the application of it is the realm of wisdom.

If that's the case the best ways I know of to gain wisdom is meditation and life experience.