Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Awareness Aware of Itself?

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited May 2012 in Philosophy
Someone posted a video recently about awareness. At the end the question was posed to people if awareness is aware of itself. I thought this is an interesting question to ask the forum. Also give any reasons or scripture as to the why of your answer.

Comments

• TalismanTalisman Veteran
    awareness is not an"it" in the absolute sense of the term,

awareness, in my opinion, can be both a response and a reponse dimension, for instance, the act (response) of selectively attending upon a particular stimulus, could be considered the actual behavior of awareness

but for a response to occur, cognizant to the attending organism, makes awareness a response dimension of that behavior (ie. I spoke with awareness, similar to I spoke with low volume)
    I suppose the question, then, is "can awareness be a stimulus?" and ... yes I believe it can, but only in states where cognition and perception arise

in this case, awareness cannot be attended upon in the late formless meditative states because there is a cessation of perception
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    So I think what you're saying is that awareness only arises in dependence upon another mental state, so it can't be aware of itself since it depends upon other factors for its arising?

Do you think there can be a state of pure awareness, not dependent upon a cognition or perception?
    I think that one may be aware (attend on) the state of one's awareness (a mental stimulus) but only while cognition and perception arise as well, since the concept "awareness" is simply that and is really only a product of consciousness and perception.

In mental states where there is a cessation of perception (deep formless meditative states), then there is no way to perceive one's state of awareness because there is no perception arising.

According to the suttas there most definitely is a state of awareness that continues beyond the cessation of perception and feeling. I don't think there is a mentioning of a state of awareness beyond the cessation of consciousness. Awareness (attenion) is defined as part of namarupa. According to the teachings on dependent origination consciousness and namarupa hold each other up like two stalks of wheat leaned against one another. There is no namarupa (including attention) without the arising of consciousness and there is no consciousness without the arising of namarupa.

The way to bring about the cessation of consciousness is thus:

This is consciousness
    This consciousness arises dependent upon namarupa
    The cessation of namarupa would bring about the cessation of consciousness
    The path leading to the cessation of consciousness is the 8-fold path
  • I think this teacher explains it very well.

"Receptive awareness is very close to the idea of a witnessing consciousness. Beginners in meditation often assume that our ability to witness means that there is someone who is witnessing; a particular, unique, and lasting subject or agent within us that is the witness. We have a strong tendency to dichotomize our world, especially between the perceived and the perceiver. Similarly, we often make a distinction between the doer and the action: I’m the doer and I am doing something, I am the speaker who is speaking. Most of us consider the idea that there is a perceiver or a doer to be simple common sense. Buddhism challenges this assumption.

These dichotomies are the cornerstone of the huge edifice of self. As soon as we have a perceiver, we have a concept of self, which becomes a magnet for all sorts of culturally conditioned ideas about what a self should be like. Our sense of self can be closely and painfully related to ideas of what is worthy, what is good, and what is required from the world around us.

Emotions can arise directly from the way we conceive our “self.” If our self-image is threatened, we can easily get angry or fearful. Guilt can come from relating a self-image to ideas of good and bad, right and wrong. Both praise and blame can energize us when they affect the way we define and represent our- selves. And when our sense of self is neither supported nor threatened, some people get bored – bored with the people they are with or bored with the situation.

Resting in receptive awareness is an antidote to our efforts of building and defending a self. As this capacity develops and we begin to trust it, the assumption that there is “someone who is aware” falls away. Self-consciousness falls away. Sometimes this is called an experience of non-dualistic awareness: the distinctions between self and other, inside and outside, perceiver and perceived disappear. There is no one who is aware; there is only awareness and experience happening within awareness.

Part of what we learn to do in practice is to steady our attention, to develop a simple, receptive awareness. We aren’t necessarily abandoning the world of ideas or even the idea of self. Instead, we learn to hold our lives, our ideas, and ourselves lightly. We rest in a spacious and compassionate sphere of awareness that knows but is not attached. In this way our response to life can arise from our direct experience rather than from our abstract ideas and attachments."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @SeaOfTranquility, would you please post a source link to the above teaching?
    Many thanks.
  • Great post @SeaOfTranquility. I'm also interested in the source please, thanks.
  • @SeaOfTranquility, would you please post a source link to the above teaching?
    Many thanks.
    Courtesy Google: http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/receptive-awareness/
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    .... since the concept "awareness" is simply that and is really only a product of consciousness and perception.
    According to the suttas there most definitely is a state of awareness that continues beyond the cessation of perception and feeling.
    So can there be consciousness without an object?
    .... since the concept "awareness" is simply that and is really only a product of consciousness and perception.
    According to the suttas there most definitely is a state of awareness that continues beyond the cessation of perception and feeling.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this
    I'm not sure what you mean by this
    If there is no consciousness of perception and feeling, then what is there consciousness of? Assuming that consciousnesness always has an object, ie consciousness always involves being conscious of something.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2012
    "Awareness" is a big McGuffin.

• Awareness is a big McGuffin.
    LOL "McGuffin" - had to look that one up!
    MacGuffin (a.k.a. McGuffin or maguffin) is a term for a motivating element in a story that is used to drive the plot. It actually serves no further purpose. It won't pop up again later, it won't explain the ending, it won't actually do anything except possibly distract you while you try to figure out its significance. In some cases, it won't even be shown. It is usually a mysterious package/artifact/superweapon that everyone in the story is chasing.
    SN 12.38

"But when one doesn't intend, arrange, or obsess [about anything], there is no support for the stationing of consciousness. There being no support, there is no landing of consciousness. When that consciousness doesn't land & grow, there is no production of renewed becoming in the future. When there is no production of renewed becoming in the future, there is no future birth, aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, or despair. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of suffering & stress."
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Everything is awareness because we cannot find a boundary between awareness and other aspects of the form skandha. (we can of course categorize with sems, discursive mind.) The boundaries between beings are dimensionless as a mathematical point has no area, infinitely thin.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    What I've heard HHDL say is that awareness can't be aware of itself. Its only a subsequent mind that reflects upon a previous moment of awareness. So I guess in the moment of awareness there isn't room for a thought or cognizance of itself, awareness just is.
    There is no entity or thing, or no-thing, or transaction, or energy, called "awareness", even though people will swear to direct experiential certainty of it. "Awareness" is a handle, a tag, a tool, a means, a schema... with a subjective and objective pole. It is useful.. but it is a fabrication. Same with "Mind".
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Someone posted a video recently about awareness. At the end the question was posed to people if awareness is aware of itself. I thought this is an interesting question to ask the forum.
    No, I do not believe so.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @person

that is spot on.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Someone posted a video recently about awareness. At the end the question was posed to people if awareness is aware of itself. I thought this is an interesting question to ask the forum. Also give any reasons or scripture as to the why of your answer.
    Yes I believe it is.
  • In the health of your survey, @person, looks like we need to defer to some 'authorities' ;)
    Then who is it that knows? People say: "Then what is it that knows? Who is it that knows the way things are, who is it that's aware? What is it that's aware?" You want me to tell you? I mean you're aware aren't you? Why do you have to have a name for it? Do you have to have a perception? Why can't there just be awareness? Why do you have to call it mine, or the eternal essence, or whatever? Why do you have to name it? Why not just be that, be aware. Then you see the desire, the doubt, wanting to label it, add to it. It's avijja paccaya sankhara (creating conditions out of ignorance). The process goes on of wanting to complicate it by giving it a name, calling it something.

Just like the question "Can you see your own eyes?" Nobody can see their own eyes. I can see your eyes but I can't see my eyes. I'm sitting right here, I've got two eyes and I can't see them. But you can see my eyes. But there's no need for me to see my eyes because 1 can see! It's ridiculous, isn't it? If I started saying "Why can't I see my own eyes?" you'd think "Ajahn Sumedho's really weird, isn't he!" Looking in a mirror you can see a reflection, but that's not your eyes, it's a reflection of your eyes. There's no way that I've been able to look and see my own eyes, but then it's not necessary to see your own eyes. It's not necessary to know who it is that knows-because there's knowing. And then you start creating views about who is it that knows, then you start the avijja paccaya sankhara and on through the whole thing again to despair and anguish.

Luang Por
    But what about the basis of awareness itself -- how do you study that?

I will settle something for you right now: the ultimate rule is to see your own mind clearly. An ancient said, "The mind does not know itself, the mind does not see itself." So how can you see it clearly? Mind does not see mind; to get it, you must not see it as mind.

Do you want to understand? Just discern the things perceived; you cannot see the mind itself.

Zen Master Fo-yen
    etc
    edited May 2012
    The worst reification of mind is the backhanded kind.. "Mind cannot see itself" for instance.. that kind of sneaky implication. "No-mind" is an antidote to that.

Mind, no-mind... both are upaya.. skillful means. The "authorities" all say practice.

"Mind", "awareness'... like "True Nature".. can either be skillful means.. or a serious misdirection. In the hands of a good teacher.. they are skillful, on the internet they are usually something to hang on..

• "Mind", "awareness'... like "True Nature".. can either be skillful means.. or a serious misdirection. In the hands of a good teacher.. they are skillful, on the internet they are usually something to hang on..
    That goes for the whole internet IMO

Many people here actually think that understanding means understanding for example :)
  • Awareness is not a thing, so how can "it" be aware of "itself"?
    edited May 2012
    In terms of zazen.. sitting is unknotting, or climbing down from dualistic tension, and opening out to "great space, nothing holy". There are different styles of zazen... zazen that goes against the wall of dukkha up to the point of break-and-release, and "non-doing" zazen that gradually resolves the knot. "Great space nothing holy" is, like "Mind" and "Buddha Nature", a poetic suggestion. There are other suggestions.. "sheer experiencing", 'no experiencer", "no witness", "forgetting", "letting go", "non-grasping", "non-dukkha", "awakening". Any of these terms are a hinderance if held onto as the Truth. They are invitations to a practice where there is no checking back.. no seeing if you have it right. It is like dying in a very real way. I think it is necessary to have the support and guidance of a practice community and good teacher.. to really see it though. Also, in such a community.. in an ordinary sangha, that opening is given context. It is a positive milestone but only part of an ongoing practice/process that is greeted by the community as "no big deal". That attitude is important. Without sangha giving context, that opening can go to the head. Across the internet on most Buddhist fora, it is common to find people who , having had that experience, think they are special, or unique, or holy.
  • but only of an ongoing practice/process, and is treated by the community as "no big deal". That attitude is important. Without sangha, giving context, that opening can go to the head. Across the internet on most Buddhist fora, it is common to find people who , having had that experience, think they are special, or unique, or holy.
    Without sangha, giving context, that opening can go to the head. Across the internet on most Buddhist fora, it is common to find people who , having had that experience, think they are special, or unique, or holy.

Repeated.
    edited May 2012
    ....there is also a split personality phenomena.... The person who is reserved and just carrying on within his/her Sangha, can online be cranky, or preachy, or an expert, or a smarmy compassion monger, or a sectarian whacko. Maybe it is a good outlet? I dunno.

.....off topic though.
  • That's true it can happen anywhere, maybe it is just clearer in the written form.

• If I am aware of a certain thing, and I realize that I am aware of that thing, wouldn't that realization be the same as being aware of the awareness? I believe awareness can be expanded and all encompassing so being aware of the awareness does not seem like such a difficult task. Am I missing something?
    edited May 2012
    If I am aware of a certain thing, and I realize that I am aware of that thing, wouldn't that realization be the same as being aware of the awareness? I believe awareness can be expanded and all encompassing so being aware of the awareness does not seem like such a difficult task. Am I missing something?
    Conventionally speaking awareness is only the double-take of awareness-of-being-aware. For instance I can be absorbed in a worry while driving..and suddenly become aware after driving several miles through the city .. stopping at lights and negotiating traffic, unaware. So.. in a very real way "awareness" is that double-take. Zazen is like driving through the city unaware.. only without the preoccupation with something else... without anything else at all. It can't be imagined.. it just looks like zero... like no awareness, like not being there at all.

• Hi @driedleaf
    If I am aware of a certain thing, and I realize that I am aware of that thing, wouldn't that realization be the same as being aware of the awareness?
    'Awareness' - if we use this word - points to the quality of awareness.

That which is aware, is aware of.

So in your example, if you become aware of a certain thought arising e.g. I am so fat -- then what you are aware of are the words, the emotions, the (apparent) sound in that etc.

What you are aware of then is those elements
    I believe awareness can be expanded and all encompassing so being aware of the awareness does not seem like such a difficult task. Am I missing something?
    As Bodhimind once said, we use words to hint at the quality and experience of what is being said.

In my opinion, there is no expansion, nor contraction in the quality of awareness. What moves is not it, but it is all that.

Best wishes,
    Abu

• Conventionally speaking awareness is only the double-take of awareness-of-being-aware. For instance I can be absorbed in a worry while driving..and suddenly become aware after driving several miles through the city .. stopping at lights and negotiating traffic, unaware. So.. in a very real way "awareness" is that double-take. Zazen is like driving through the city unaware.. only without the preoccupation with something else... without anything else at all. It can't be imagined.. it just looks like zero... like no awareness, like not being there at all.

Dear @RichardH

I am not sure that I can relate to these analogies.

In my opinion, genuine zazen is the epitome of clarity, awareness and insight.

Namaste,

Abu
    edited May 2012

Conventionally speaking awareness is only the double-take of awareness-of-being-aware. For instance I can be absorbed in a worry while driving..and suddenly become aware after driving several miles through the city .. stopping at lights and negotiating traffic, unaware. So.. in a very real way "awareness" is that double-take. Zazen is like driving through the city unaware.. only without the preoccupation with something else... without anything else at all. It can't be imagined.. it just looks like zero... like no awareness, like not being there at all.

Dear @RichardH

I am not sure that I can relate to these analogies.

In my opinion, genuine zazen is the epitome of clarity, awareness and insight.

Namaste,

Abu
    Clarity, awareness and insight are good things.... But there is dropping them... and there is forgetting the dropping. Otherwise we just sit there stinking of clarity, awareness, and insight.

Anyway... someone has gotten up and is putting on coffee. Today I am going with my kid for a long bike ride down to the lake shore..
  • Clarity, awareness and insight are good things.... But there is dropping them... and there is forgetting the dropping. Otherwise we just sit there stinking of clarity, awareness, and insight.
    Hi Richard

A representation that says that zazen is being unaware is very odd by any book or quotation.

To suggest that clarity, awareness and stink stink is also highly misleading. You are perhaps talking about people with imagined glowing-ness and are stuck in the emptiness realm concept -- but to say that zazen is not all that suggests a high degree of unclarity there.

Perhaps it is just the use of the language, but perhaps not.

Enjoy the bike ride with your family, that sounds nice. :)

Best wishes,
    Abu
    edited May 2012
    Hi Abu. I am not suggesting being unaware or unclear or without insight or wisdom or prajna..etc. .. not at all. That is par for the course ...no? I am just sharing something practical that is also par for the course. ... and that is wiping the traces... forgetting. "Just Sitting"

As far as new people are concerned.. IMHO talk of "mind" and "awareness" is like offering crack cocaine to a thirst that wants something..anything or no-thing.. to hold. It is better to just talk about Dukkha.. knowing Dukkha... investigating Dukkha ...
    But that is just my opinion. It is even better talk about going to a teacher , taking refuge, and doing it. It is even better still to not set ourselves up as teachers... and to defer to the skills of people who have received transmission from an uncorrupted line.

But we can still blab. I like to blab.

....and I will also enjoy this ride with my boy. Our first summery outing!
    :thumbsup:

I'll respond tonight if there is something to respond to...
  • There is a lot that could be said in response, but I will not bother.

Enjoy the outing :)

Abu
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    We can't let go of clarity. Because we can't grasp onto it. Time moving to fast to keep up with changes is clarity of emptiness.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited May 2012
    In meditation practice there is awareness, mindfulness, and other higher states of mind developed through more experienced practice like jhanas etc. These are basically different levels of awareness in my opinion.

As we become more experienced, we may be able to notice these mind states and differentiate between them. When we can differentiate between them, I believe this is when we become aware of another different form of awareness. Wouldn't you call this be "being aware of the awareness"?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2012
    In meditation practice there is awareness, mindfulness, and other higher states of mind developed through more experienced practice like jhanas etc. These are basically different levels of awareness in my opinion.

As we become more experienced, we may be able to notice these mind states and differentiate between them. When we can differentiate between them, I believe this is when we become aware of another different form of awareness. Wouldn't you call this be "being aware of the awareness"?
    differences are only known via hindsight, thus differences are conceptual.

for instance one could have an experience of openness. in the experience itself it is completely beyond what we label it. but we label it after the fact and even during. oh this is openness, which is quite different from closedness. but in direct experience there is only what is.

the dualistic mind always works in pairs. asserting one thing is asserting the other. they need each other.

on the mindfulness or awareness aspect. when there is mindfulness, you are in fact mindfulness itself. but notice how the object is made, rather than objectively coming from its own side as an object.

for instance right now i am listening to the clock. mindfulness of sound. the story about i am listening to the clock, is just a story. in direct experience there is only the sound. there would be no mindfulness if there was no sound. so mindfulness is a mental focus. thats is all.

all experiences be it normal or altered states of consciousness require some sort of focus or contact.

there is no experience without contact, thus they are interdependent.

we make the mindfulness into a subject watching the object. But in actuality or experience there is only the appearance of awareness, which requires the contact or mindfulness. so mindfulness of the body is body.

mindfulness of sound is sound.

there is no mindfulness behind watching everything.

but separate instances of mindfulness based on each sense.

Not sure if this is clear enough. But hope this makes some sense?
  • We can't let go of clarity. Because we can't grasp onto it.
    Thankyou Jeffrey.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012

Dear @driedleaf

I don't think so, because the different states are different states. Awareness is constant. Depending on your Buddhist tradition, one could call it the ground of everything, or the deathless, the unconditioned, Buddha etc.

But as RichardH alludes to in another post, these are all tentative yardsticks only and can also tether people too much. It cannot be truly adequately explained but because interim-ly people need handholds, sometimes such things are spoken of - only as an interim encouragement.

It is best to just practice, and leave the analysis for idiots like me :)

Namaste,
    Abu
    I think this would be the third foundation of mindfulness, awareness of our state of mind. As for the OP, I think being aware of awareness is only possible in hindsight.