Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Duality-Is there a middle way?

DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
edited May 2012 in Buddhism Basics
The biggest thing Buddhism has done for me is to reveal the difference between using duality as a tool and being a tool of duality.

Does this make sense to you or do you see a middle that I'm missing?

Any insight would be gratefully appreciated. :)

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I was actually falling asleep last night and considering this, mainly because I read the thread about 15 things one should cut out of ones life, and one of them was labeling. It seems impossible to not walk around putting a label on things. For example, you go to work and you bump into a fellow coworker and say this.
    "Good morning, how are you today Sue? I had a good weekend myself, but I did not get enough sleep and now I am tried!"
    Take the lables out of that and it wouldn't make sense whatsoever. So I am interested to see what replies are given here :D Good thread.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Thanks @Thailand Tom. As for the labels, I've had instances where I was able to make them fall away and honestly felt at home and in touch with our true nature.

However I now see it as recharging as opposed to life's desired state.

We are naturally full of wonder and born ready to explore. There is no thing that is not the result of information being shared in one form or another and communicating with labels seems to be a part of that natural evolution.

Sorry for the run-on sentence, haha.
  • Sorry what is a run-on sentence :p Is that a label I see haha! Also sorry is a label I guess as it labels an emotion. You really could run wild with this. This is why I am keeping a close eye on this thread because the whole label thing and the dharma has flown right over my head!
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    Here is a great sutta (The Ball of Honey) for this topic. Make sure you read the translator's introduction too.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.018.than.html

Here is another one

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.4.08.than.html

"For one arriving at what
    does form disappear?
    How do pleasure & pain disappear?
    Tell me this.
    My heart is set
    on knowing how
    they disappear."

"One not percipient of perceptions
    not percipient of aberrant perceptions,