Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An ex Buddhist Monk tells me why he QUIT!!

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited May 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I spoke to an ex Monk today (visit to my local centre for a talk)..

He was ordained in the Theravada Tradition is Thailand..

He is no longer a MONK..

When I asked why he disrobed/quit his monk practice. He said;

After studying for many years, I got to a point where I was ''what am i doing here? What good is this for me and for others?

He also said, 'one day whilst studying one of the sutras, I thought 'why the hell is it important what is in a bloody sutra. What does it matters if a text says 'do this or 'do that'
Why the hell do I have to call my fellow Buddhist-monk friend by a different name? Why shouldnt I be allowed to call him PETER.

He told me, Of course he knew all the buddhist answers to these questions, but he was talking about, 'realistically', why change names, why study all the sutras when they are all hear-say and nothing was even written down until 300 Years 'after' Buddha passed away so how do we know what he said or did not say. I bet he said alot more, that never even got written down.

He carried on; ''I still meditate every morning. And shave my head (because of habit) *laughs*
But I do not 'seek' no more. I do not 'strive to become'.. I do not have the need to 'follow' buddha anymore'.
I have decided to follow my own heart. Im happy and feel free. I was starting to feel trapped, in life and practice. Now I can enjoy an ice cream with my god daughter *another laugh*

When another person asked ''What do you think about Enlightenment?

He answered ''Whats Enlightenment?'' *and laughs again*

When someone asked 'what advice would you give someone in life?

He answered ''Life is the best of all teachers. You are the second best. Listen to both, Learn from all, the wise and even the fool..But rely on no one. What ever you are, be the best you''

When asked 'what would you tell someone interested in buddhism'

He said ''Buddhism is a great guide. A great path, a great practice. But there are many practises. We are all on different paths but are all trying to get to the Same Apple Tree. But when one becomes too attached, even with his/her practice, it can cause them to think their cup is full. . . But our cups will never be full.

His last words were ''I want to practice 'Life' for a while. Ive practised Buddhism long enough''

(just thought id share this. Ex monk turned taxi-driver)

:-)

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Interesting. Thank you for posting it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I don't see how that this ex-Monk is doing is any different from what some of us are doing. He's living a lay life, but probably is still guided by Buddhist values. That's perfectly valid.

And I'm pretty sure the Dalai Lama enjoys ice cream from time to time.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    hey
    zenmyste
    Some folks stick with robes to the end but most don't. The ongoing higher ordination numbers compared to the number of active monks bears this up. What was the significance of the ex monks story for you?
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited May 2012
    hey
    zenmyste
    . What was the significance of the ex monks story for you?
    I just thought id share my Shanga experience from tonight.

Although, i did get the 'feeling' that this monk was actually saying he no longer practises ''Buddhism''.. He just wants to enjoy Life as a normal fella without a strict label practice called 'Buddhist'

And I'm pretty sure the Dalai Lama enjoys ice cream from time to time.
    Its hard to put into words what 'i think' he was trying to get across. I think he was saying he no longer wants to 'label' himself a buddhist. He just wants to be 'ordinary bloke' who wants to see his god daughter grow up, instead of having a strict buddhist life which upon till now hasnt got him very far.. (or maybe it has, thats could be his point, i dunno)

x
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Ikkyu Sojun (1394-1481), a quirky Zen monk whose quirks are better remembered than his years of hard practice, was once quoted as saying, "I am not a Buddha. I am just an ordinary fellow who understands things."

Similarly, a line-drawing cartoon I saw this morning showed a couple of Christian monks with quills, writing on paper under the title "Holy Bible." One monk is leaning over to the other and asking, "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if some day people actually BELIEVED this bullshit?"

As a matter of personal peace, I think it is quite important to tread with care in this realm. It is one thing to imagine being an ordinary fellow who understands things or to think things through to the intellectual conclusion that spiritual formats are bullshit. It is quite another to actualize and rest easy in the experience. This is not something anyone can judge adequately in another. Is this person bullshitting or is s/he telling a realized truth? The answer is that there is no way of knowing and even if you could know ... so what? The only answer -- the matter that relates to a personal peace -- is what YOU know, what YOU actualize.

My own feeling is that without the bullshit, we'd all be up shit's creek without a paddle. But that doesn't mean either that bullshit doesn't grow some lovely flowers or that, more important, anyone can avoid going through the bullshit in order to know, as a matter of experienced fact, that it is indeed bullshit... lovely, nourishing bullshit, no matter how much any of us may extol it or whine about practice.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    There are plenty of people who turn away from ordination, keeping such a level of morale discipline is difficult and as with anything the the constant day in and out of what can seem to be an ordinary experience of being a monk compared with what they remember as the relative freedom of a lay life can once again seem very attractive. You can't escape suffering in Samsara you have to free your mind from it and be at peace where ever you are.
  • Who said liberation was easy hey OP? It takes A LOT of effort, time and dicipline to stay in robes and it is not for everyone. Even lay Buddhism is not for everyone due to individual mental disposition. Obviously the path of a monk was not correct for this person which does not mean it doesn't work for other people. Good luck to him.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Who said liberation was easy hey OP?
    Alan Watts does! Pema Chodron says similar too, I think.

But maybe this shouldn't be confused with leading a monastic life, which I'm sure isn't easy. But we as human beings, so I've read, really like to complicate matters. We think the more complex and difficult something is, the better it is for us. Like to be liberated, we need to suffer.

And if we believe stuff, it comes true.

I think I believe it's complex and liberation is for other people; not me; and that's why I'm not liberated? But not all teachers teach that.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    I love your story.

The man never stopped practicing Buddhism; he only stopped being a monk.

I little story I wrote:

There was once a man who lived a long time ago who decided to find the end of the world. He knew that if he walked far enough in one direction he would eventually find it. So, he packed his bag, grabbed his walking stick, picked the direction of the rising sun and started walking.

Many, many years later, weary and with walking stick worn down to a nub, he looked around and recognized his surroundings. His great effort and long journey had taken him right back to where he started! When he told the people who recognized him what he'd discovered at the end of his journey, they were amazed. They never knew that their village was actually the end of the world, but they put up a sign and pilgrims came from all over to marvel at the spot.

As for the man who took the journey, was it a wasted journey to end up where he started? No, because he was a changed man for taking the journey. Other people could point to the dirt under their feet and proclaim it the end of the world, but only he knew what that meant.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

His last words were ''I want to practice 'Life' for a while. Ive practised Buddhism long enough'
    Does he not realize it's the same thing?

:D
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I feel similar to your monk, except I've never been a monk. But giving up on 'Buddhism' for me feels like a relief.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited May 2012

His last words were ''I want to practice 'Life' for a while. Ive practised Buddhism long enough'

Or maybe it's not. There's been another thread lately about whether or not monks live in the real world.

• I like it, a lot. And I feel it is the closest to what I am doing. However on the Buddhist title, I don't discuss the buddhist topics very often, and I don't claim to know very much, and so I have called myself a bad Buddhist at times for not 'appearing' Buddhist more. I still will call myself Buddhist because when in times I need to make a skillful choice I return to the 8 fold path, I just don't question or waste time (IMHO) on things that are not causing me questions.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Personally I don't think I'd want to be a monk but since I've never tried it, I can't be certain. If I did, where would I go? I don't feel I could commit to one way of seeing the dharma except my own which is made up of many teachings along with my own experience and inner B.S. detector. That's why. I'll likely always be non-sectarian.

This business about needing a learned teacher for guidance was fostered at a time when teachings were not written down and easily shared and so I don't see the point of adhering to one view when they are all here open to critical examination. H.H. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have differing styles and views but my understanding of the dharma would be different without either one. And that's just the most popular among the living.

Sorry, perhaps that was more of a rant than a proper response.

I'll go fetch me some tea now.

• (just thought id share this. Ex monk turned taxi-driver)

He sounds like someone who never got any experiential insight into Buddhism - hence the sceptical doubt. To him, of course it is useless.

Metta,
    Abu

• His last words were ''I want to practice 'Life' for a while. Ive practised Buddhism long enough'

Like.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The Dalai Lama has said in books I have that if you have any doubt within the context of the dharma, it will only hinder your progress along the path. So one should step away from the teachings for at least a little while, this is what I have understood about this topic anyway.
  • Yes, stepping away is fine IMO, conclusions may be premature however

_/\_
  • robotrobot Veteran

(just thought id share this. Ex monk turned taxi-driver)

He sounds like someone who never got any experiential insight into Buddhism - hence the sceptical doubt. To him, of course it is useless.

Metta,
    Abu
    I didn't get this at all. I thought that he was expressing that he had got a good deal from the experience and that he was ready to step off the raft.
    I thought his conclusions were appropriate.
    He did not seem to be leaving with a bitter taste in his mouth.
    For me the life of a monk has no appeal. I applaud this mans courage to take it up and then for knowing when to move on.
    I think Cinjorner's story is excellent.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you for sharing!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I've talked to a lot of leave takers over the years and have felt sorry for how many hoops of explanation they seem to feel obliged to leap through. I place no value judgements on the staying or the leaving. Either everything changes or it doesn't. Either you understand that or you don't.
    Nothing creates exceptions to simple Buddhist truths like the devotion.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2012
    All things are impermanent, including being a monk. Even if one doesn't disrobe, it'll end by death. So maybe the question is not how we want to live, but how we want to die..?
    maybe the question is not how we want to live, but how we want to die..?
    Awesome!
    His great effort and long journey had taken him right back to where he started!
    As for the man who took the journey, was it a wasted journey to end up where he started? No, because he was a changed man for taking the journey. Other people could point to the dirt under their feet and proclaim it the end of the world, but only he knew what that meant.
    Fantastic story. This did something to me as i read it.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2012
    A monk giving back his vows and robes is not an unusual occurrence. It happens all the time. Kind of like how people in the West go through career changes. It's especially common among people who were given to monastic institutions as children.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012

I didn't get this at all. I thought that he was expressing that he had got a good deal from the experience and that he was ready to step off the raft.
    I thought his conclusions were appropriate.
    He did not seem to be leaving with a bitter taste in his mouth.
    For me the life of a monk has no appeal. I applaud this mans courage to take it up and then for knowing when to move on.
    I think Cinjorner's story is excellent.
    According to zenmyste, this person said:

After studying for many years, I got to a point where I was ''what am i doing here? What good is this for me and for others?

He also said, 'one day whilst studying one of the sutras, I thought 'why the hell is it important what is in a bloody sutra. What does it matters if a text says 'do this or 'do that'
    Why the hell do I have to call my fellow Buddhist-monk friend by a different name? Why shouldnt I be allowed to call him PETER.

He told me, Of course he knew all the buddhist answers to these questions, but he was talking about, 'realistically', why change names, why study all the sutras when they are all hear-say and nothing was even written down until 300 Years 'after' Buddha passed away so how do we know what he said or did not say. I bet he said alot more, that never even got written down.

He carried on; ''I still meditate every morning. And shave my head (because of habit) *laughs*
    But I do not 'seek' no more. I do not 'strive to become'.. I do not have the need to 'follow' buddha anymore'.
    I have decided to follow my own heart. Im happy and feel free. I was starting to feel trapped, in life and practice.

The pressure of practice and the monastery can be very intensive. It might be easier to just retire and derobe, or for lay people, to give up the practice, the desire for full enlightenment and awakening.

These are the words said by someone who feels that release - who is ecstatic and happy to be out.

"What am I doing here? What good is it for me and others" What use are these questionable, outdated conventions. Who knows if the words they say are Buddha's are even accurate. I'm just going to be free and happy, man.

My paraphrasing, but the sentiment is there.

The issue is not monk or non monk, nun or non nun, home leaver, or stay homer.

These are all valid and respected path in the way of the Buddha.

But the sentiments that come above are more the reflection of someone who has not penetrated the truths of the Buddha, and give up in an exasperated and certainly delightful release of the pressure of wanting to know the Buddha path.

The path is not easy, but I also know that for one who has understood the words experientially there is no longer any doubt about whether it was the Buddha's words anymore, there is no claim that one no longer needs to follow the Buddha - for the Buddha's Way is just the reality of the path, and the freedom from the 'trap of life and practice' is not a real trap - the trap was always only in the greed, hatred and delusion ie ignorance of the Dharma.

Therefore, I see his claims as such, but I am happy that people see this as a great inspirational story.

Like the taste of the salt of the ocean, the taste of the freedom of the Dhamma - within robes or within a singlet and T - is always the same. And we are all free to choose the clothes we wish to keep ourselves warm.

Re: your comment about letting go of the raft, that is for the genuinely enlightened, anyone else is just swapping an excuse for an excuse IMO. And in my experience of the Awakened, the raft may be relinquished, but it is always respected and recognised for what it is and was.

Best wishes,
    Abu