Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Focus, focus , focus

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
edited June 2012 in Meditation
In other words, the complaint of today is that I have problems getting my sh*t together ( sorry for the expression) in every situation. Until today, this was not one of my top problems. After I watched some documentary related to Miyamoto Musashi ( youtube just suggested the video, I was curious enough to watch and so I clicked) I realized how bad I am at being focused at something. I realized that I become sloppy in every action, and my self discipline is lacking. And this lack of training, let's say, materialized, from the 'real world' to my 'inner world', at meditation. I lose focus. I can't even concentrate. Since I began college, I slowed down on meditation, and so, even when I do meditate , the act itself seems too hard to accomplish ( until college, I used to meditate every night, and I felt like doing some 'progress' ). When I sit, my mind explodes with images, dialogues , stories and other distractions, and my body aches. When I try to focus, the pain becomes a little intense, and I lose the focus, and I have to quit.
In some thread, one of the old members of this forum told me that there is no good sit and no bad sit. Mine seems bad enough to make me quit after ...I guess ( I never time my meditation sessions) 5 minutes.
How do I regain focus ?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Why do you want focus? The heart that wants focus is what you touch in on in meditation. Two minutes is good enough if the heart is there.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    I need focus for a lot of things. For example to study for my exams ( which are coming soon) . I need the focus because it's a key to my "self-control". I need the focus to build up my awareness.
    The problem is that I can't concentrate for even a short period of time, even if I want to. I can't make my thoughts settle for a while. Even in 'real life', the lack of focus brought me into a chaotic state, and I want to 'repair' it.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    How do I regain focus ?
    By sitting down and breathing in and out. So when you sit down you put your attention on the breath. Of course it won't stay there, it will go off to other things. AKA "images, dialogues , stories and other distractions" When it goes off the breath and you notice that it has gone off, you just bring it back to the breath. It's that simply really. It goes away, you bring it back, over and over and over. That is how it's supposed to work :) Just because all these thing arise doe not mean it's "going badly" that is what is supposed to happen. That is how it normally works. You regain focus by returning attention to the breath, again and again and again. Quitting because you lose focus is really the opposite act of how to regain focus. It's almost like a baseball player quitting practice because he did not hit the ball. Well, if you don't keep trying to hit the ball, of course you're never going to get better at it.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    @SeaOfTranquility

Describes me perfectly ;). I found out today that I have self control and focus during tests and exams. Before this, I'm a chaotic person.