Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Please Watch and offer an opinion

minimayhen88minimayhen88 Veteran
edited June 2012 in Diet & Habits
Please kindly watch this fascinating documentary ..... it highlights potential corruption in the medical system and the remarkable effects of herbal medicine ..... I am a strong advocate of holistic medicine .... which seems to be sidelined and belittled, by mainstream drug based science, which dominates those medical discourses .... would love to hear your opinions....

Comments

• SileSile Veteran
    Watching now - thanks for this!
  • SileSile Veteran
    Only 5 min in and it's already so excellent I'm going to share it like crazy.
  • My dad had cancer and the healthcare system was there to help out. Now the cancer is no longer there.

The attitude in the UK, or so I've been told, is that people are not interested in staying healthy, or at least people allow others to do their thinking for them. People will do whatever they want and the healthcare system will be there to pick up the pieces.

The food industry cuts corners so on the plus side you have cheap food but on the bad side the cheap ingredients could be costly on the body.

My opinion is try not to get yourself in a pickle in the first place. Telling the truth is still doing nothing, as powerful as it may seem, people are not sheeple- blind to the 'facts'- some people just don't want to know, or know but don't care enough to do anything about it.

We all know smoking is extremely bad for us, yet food is killing us all quicker and ramping up the health costs.
  • There are two issues here:

The use of 'natural' remedies as effective in treating cancer.

Big pharma controlling the medical industry to its own ends.

For the former, the scientific method gives us a viable way to tell what works and what doesn't. Politics may interfere, but there is enough independent evidence to suggest such remedies are generally ineffective. That doesn't preclude that none will though. (I also have a problem with the word 'natural remedies', but that's another issue).

The latter is a problem. Big pharma will bully and intimidate. Their data is not released, unless it suits them. And they need a sick market to sell to. As far as i can tell, these are all inevitable within a capitalist system. Some may say it's worth it, considering big pharma put a lot of money into designing new drugs (and they do put a lot of money in).

My opinion is that this video obfuscates both issues and so fails to deal with either effectively.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @ownerof1000oddsocks -- you make some very good points here. I don't think it's so much that people "are not interested in staying healthy", but I think as humans we tend to have a difficult time connecting something we choose today, with something that will happen to use years down the road. I've begun having heart problems, although my cardiologist says that the issues I have really were there when I was born, rather than because of life style choices. Yet, my lifestyle choices have not helped. In the last year +, I have significantly changed by diet, but I'm still not where I should be. On the other hand, I used to be a "chocolate pig". Now, even a little chocolate will give me palpitations...so, I have had no problem stopping eating chocolate, because the negative results of doing so show up within a hour or so.

I also like what you say about "the healthcare system will be there to pick up the pieces". Not that it can always do so..sometimes we have taken things too far. And, for the most part, it's a profit making system...naturally.

The food industry cuts corners so on the plus side you have cheap food but on the bad side the cheap ingredients could be costly on the body.

Your point about food also hits home with me. In the past couple of years I have really had to begin reading food labels due to blood pressure and cholesterol. And what I see is appalling. For example, there's a particular popular brand of Chinese frozen food (also a restaurant chain here in the States) that one serving of their orange chicken is 55% of the recommended salt intake for 1 day! If you buy poppin fresh pizza crust dough, add a little pepperoni, a little sausage, Italian sauce, and cheese, you'll be well over 100% of your daily salt intake. Why can one brand of flour tortilla have to have 18% of your daily salt intake with just 1 tortilla, when another brand can make as good a tortilla with only one-sixth the amount of salt?

I don't want to scare you, but there was another interesting article on the web today about the long term effect of cancer drugs on other health aspects (such as the heart). Scary.
  • There are two issues here:

The use of 'natural' remedies as effective in treating cancer.

Big pharma controlling the medical industry to its own ends.

For the former, the scientific method gives us a viable way to tell what works and what doesn't. Politics may interfere, but there is enough independent evidence to suggest such remedies are generally ineffective. That doesn't preclude that none will though. (I also have a problem with the word 'natural remedies', but that's another issue).

The latter is a problem. Big pharma will bully and intimidate. Their data is not released, unless it suits them. And they need a sick market to sell to. As far as i can tell, these are all inevitable within a capitalist system. Some may say it's worth it, considering big pharma put a lot of money into designing new drugs (and they do put a lot of money in).

My opinion is that this video obfuscates both issues and so fails to deal with either effectively.
    I think the video takes this more neutral approach deliberateley to avoid bias and take a more objective stance ..... x
  • edited June 2012
    @vinlyn

Yes, I can see that now; there is a disconnect. The wear and tear begins with a small annoyance until one day it erupts.. then everything changes suddenly. I recently went through several months of sometimes constant pain with a large ulcer in the small intestine, and had to do plenty of thinking about my reckless attitude towards food.

I'm a little sad you can no longer enjoy your chocolate, but also pleased that you have the strength to give it up so well. I wondered what other source of strength there might be in your life to keep your spirits up.

Personally I prepare much of my own food with natural ingredients. My speciality is home made veg soup mixed with veg stock, rice noodles and added to dried mackeral or prawns. This makes my digestive system sing! It is tasteless by industry standards, but we are so accustomed to salt and sweet that more salt and sweet must be added where people are continually assaulted with processed treats. The climate is slowly cranked up to unbearable levels.

The eating and smelling takes what... 30 minutes or thereabouts? That is what's important right? The digestive system must then process the food and this lasts for hours. Since the processed food is stripped of fiber and micronutrients, saturated with sugar and fat, how on earth is our system to cope!? We cannot feel our system so much of course, not until it goes wrong.

/back to topic>>