Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just a heads-up guys.....

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited May 2006 in Buddhism Today
This is a bit sad....

It seems nothing is sacred, so watch yourselves....

With regard to the discussion elsewhere, on finding a 'Root' Teacher, this seems timely and pertinent.....

http://www.tibet.ca/en/wtnarchive/2002/9/21_8.html

http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/0136/news-anderson.php

http://www.buddhistcouncil.org/cults.htm

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Sad.

This is why I feel it is well within Buddha's teachings to question anything and everything.

Blind devotion to just another confused, dillusioned human fall upon our own inactions in our desire to be spoonfed everything in life.

Oh... BTW... I'm holding Twin Body Blessing Classes and Heaving Love Mountain Massages this coming weekend.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    How much - ?

I can bring the tea and biscuits.....
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2006
    For you? It will free. I might even throw in a Bountiful Behind Badonkadonk since it's my favorite Freddie!

Forget the tea and bisquits. Some butter flavored Crisco, chicken feathers, hot towels and a tub of Neosporin might be nice though.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    The tub of Neosporin makes me nervous.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    (What is it.....?)
    edited May 2006
    Oh....hang on....I just looked it up......

I don't want to know now.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Fede,

LOL!! Me either! I'm not a fan of any religious ceremony that involves cutting and possible infection.

From the Seattle article:
    (Officials at the Ling Shen Ching Tze Temple in Redmond say their founder and spiritual leader is on one of his frequent extended retreats, spreading the karma in Australia and Southeast Asia.)
    lol!
    Lu's devoted Western followers believe he has exalted status as the temple's guru and True Buddha. (Buddhists do not worship a god but seek spiritual enlightenment and Dharma bliss in part through meditation and mantras. Those who falter can be killed by snakes, demons, and plagues, according to some doctrines.)

It's funny how little people know about the things they write and get published. I don't think the author did very much research on Buddhism before writing this article. But it's an important topic, nonetheless. I think it makes sites like this one very important because our diversity lends itself to a well rounded education and investigation. I love this place. lol!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    federica wrote:
    (What is it.....?)
    BTW, this made my heart burst. It's sooooo cute!
  • edited May 2006
    Brigid...is the tub of neosporin the ONLY thing making you nervous? Heck, his entire post makes me nervous! :)
  • edited May 2006
    And, federica, those links that you gave are very sad indeed.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, they're sad. But these things are bound to happen and they're not really unexpected. There are always people who want power over others and they'll use whatever tools they can find.
    It seems to me, though, that the underlying similarity with all of these false spiritual groups is the element of the cult of personality. There always seems to be one living person at the top who demands some level of worship, so they're pretty easy to spot, really. That's a small comfort, I know, but it's there nonetheless.
  • edited May 2006
    Yikes! Just as I was looking a little deeper into Buddhist organizations in my area....
    There aren't many...