Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being a Hindu and a Buddhist?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited June 2012 in Faith & Religion
There are a ton of threads about "Can I be a Buddhist and a Christian/Muslim/etc." and, of course, it is entirely possible.

However, what about being a Hindu and a Buddhist? It may seem like an obvious answer of "yes", but there are many similarities between the two. So much to the point that many beliefs and ideas overlap one another (karma, rebirth, consciousness, etc.). Also, at least in my experience, many Hindus don't like Buddhists.

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    I think at a certain point one really has to examine what one considers themselves to be.

The thing about buddhism is that its not much of a belief system. In essence it is all about suffering and the cessation of suffering. Everything other than that is the skillful path.

So though we pick up buddhism or whatever "ism" we must really understand this.

We must do what works. If its from the hindusm then use it. If its buddhism then use it. Practicality over beliefs.

Unless its just about taking up a new belief system by bastardizing buddhism plus another religion. Which imo is disrespectful to other religions. If thats your thing which i am not saying it is then you're missing the whole point of buddhism.

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    @taiyki

It is not my intention to "bastardize" anything. I'm still new to this and I'm trying to find my own path. I know Buddhism, in and of itself, is not a religion; that's why it is so compatible with other philosophies and faiths. So far I know that Buddhism itself is about finding the ending of ones suffering and finding enlightenment (if one finds such a thing on this lifetime).

I'm researching Hinduism and I like what I'm finding do far. I don't believe the gods are literally real, but they are representations of nature and the universe. And through them, the universe and nature are worthy of our amazement and worship. Almost like "pantheistic Hinduism", so to speak.

Not ranting, just trying to make a personal point.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    I think it can be done. I enjoy many things about Hinduism.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Why do you want to be both?

you can continue practising any religion you like, and incorporate every aspect of Buddhism.
    but you cannot practise Buddhism and incorporate every aspect of another religion.
    At one point or another - given that every single other religion looks to an omnipotent and all-powerful god - you may find yourself at odds in your practice.
    this happened to me when i was a practising Catholic.
    in 40 years, I obviously never got it right, because ultimately, here I am....... ;)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    There are a ton of threads about "Can I be a Buddhist and a Christian/Muslim/etc." and, of course, it is entirely possible.

However, what about being a Hindu and a Buddhist? It may seem like an obvious answer of "yes", but there are many similarities between the two. So much to the point that many beliefs and ideas overlap one another (karma, rebirth, consciousness, etc.). Also, at least in my experience, many Hindus don't like Buddhists.
    This is a problem, because....?

You're of course free to do whatever the heck you want. You could try reconciling Scientology with Buddhism if you were so inclined. Try it and, if it doesn't work out, you know where to crawl back to. ;)
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I can't see how it's really possible to be Buddhist and Christian/Muslim at the same time, although some people apparently have managed it, e.g. there are Zen teachers who are Christian monks.

When it comes to Hinduism and Buddhism, on the one hand I feel it would be much easier, but then Hinduism is really an umbrella term so it depends really on what you believe.

Imo, the less you cling to some dogma and call yourself Buddhist or Hindu or whatever, the easier it is. I myself am very isnpired by some Vedanta teachers.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think you can be a Hindu that borrows from Buddhism or vice versa. But there are differences that mean it is very difficult to believe in both. Atman versus anattma (spelling) are the obvious break off points.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Many Hindus see Buddha as another avatar of Vishnu like Krishna.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    It's slightly less flattering than that, if what I've read is accurate.
    In many Puranas, the Buddha is described as an incarnation of Vishnu who incarnated in order to delude either demons or mankind away from the Vedic dharma.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha_in_Hinduism

But Hinduism is not monolithic, as I've said before.
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the answers everyone, there is just one thing I would like to point out.

If I were to lean towards Hinduism whilst incorporating Buddhist practices, I would choose an atheistic Hindu sect. There are many Indian Hindus who worship the gods, but don't believe they actually exist. They are representations of the natural world. Since there would be no "greater god" or "soul", I don't think it would conflict with any Buddhist beliefs.
    @DaftChris,

Explore and see whether the two can fit together. If you are attracted to gods/deities and also to Buddhism, maybe you can look into Buddhist tantra which incorporates them in practice.
  • It always depends on how a person defines their terms. Even some Christians don't believe in a God that literally exists, instead God is 'a symbol that points beyond itself to a transcendence that cannot be described' (Karen Armstrong). This God would be analogous to Nirvana. I don't see why Hindu gods couldn't perform a similar function.
    sukhita
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    You can only be one .
    @caznamyaw

Why? Explain.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @taiyki

It is not my intention to "bastardize" anything. I'm still new to this and I'm trying to find my own path. I know Buddhism, in and of itself, is not a religion; that's why it is so compatible with other philosophies and faiths. So far I know that Buddhism itself is about finding the ending of ones suffering and finding enlightenment (if one finds such a thing on this lifetime).

I'm researching Hinduism and I like what I'm finding do far. I don't believe the gods are literally real, but they are representations of nature and the universe. And through them, the universe and nature are worthy of our amazement and worship. Almost like "pantheistic Hinduism", so to speak.

Not ranting, just trying to make a personal point.
    I understand. I did the whole own path thing too as well.

And yes I've ventured into Hinduism, etc.

What you need to find is your true condition. Its what everyone wants, yet doesn't know how to or even that they want it. It is beyond religion, race, culture, etc. This true condition of everything is beyond Buddhism or any belief structure.

At the end of the day you're going to have to commit to one or the other. Shopping around and getting our toes wet is important in the beginning. But these religions have been around for a long time. When we are ready to humble ourselves to go head on then the religion that speaks to us will express itself in our lives.

But fundamentally what we seek is beyond religion. Thus any belief structure is missing the path. If its not helping you lead a more peaceful and ethical life then drop it.

Until then call yourself hindu or buddhist, etc.

But sooner or later all of it has to be cast aside.

I truly mean no offense. Just a casual sharing.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    You can only be one .

Why? Explain.
    I may be slightly off base here. But I think what caz meant to say is that "there can be only one," as in highlander. The world's religions are in a sword duel and have to cut off each others heads, the last one left wins.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I think there's many aspects of Buddhism someone can use if they're from another religion, but the doctrine of dependant arising rules out any kind of Creator God; I'm sure!

• Tosh
    I think there's many aspects of Buddhism someone can use if they're from another religion, but the doctrine of dependant arising rules out any kind of Creator God; I'm sure!
    Dependent arising is a teaching, not an explanation.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I can't see how it's really possible to be Buddhist and Christian/Muslim at the same time, although some people apparently have managed it, e.g. there are Zen teachers who are Christian monks.

When it comes to Hinduism and Buddhism, on the one hand I feel it would be much easier, but then Hinduism is really an umbrella term so it depends really on what you believe.

Imo, the less you cling to some dogma and call yourself Buddhist or Hindu or whatever, the easier it is. I myself am very isnpired by some Vedanta teachers.
    I think if you want to "be" a religion, then you probably can't really "be" more than that one religion.

But I also think it's possible to draw wisdom from various religions and incorporate those aspects into your life.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Can one bring together the concept of Annata and Atman together?
    Ideas of self or Atman lead to becoming which then conditions rebirth and suffering.
    I am sure there are a variety of practices and ideals that are wonderful in the Vedic religion and may be quite complimentary to Buddhism and vice-versa but can one reconcile their core tenets without losing their meaning and purpose?
    Well, I have never believed there is only 1 "right" religion (although there are some "wrong" religions.

But if you want to believe there is only 1 "right" religion, then be prepared if it turns out yours is not that "right" one.
    @caznamyaw

Why? Explain.
    Because there are many contradictory views, If you are a Buddhist and you take refuge you are no longer supposed to take refuge in worldly gods such as Brahma etc...Or hold views that are wrong according to Buddhist teaching and tradition. You can only take one path.
    Inc88
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Ideas of self or Atman lead to becoming which then conditions rebirth and suffering.
    I am sure there are a variety of practices and ideals that are wonderful in the Vedic religion and may be quite complimentary to Buddhism and vice-versa but can one reconcile their core tenets without losing their meaning and purpose?
    I think it's possible, yes. As long as I don't have to name my version of Brahman or the Vishnu aspect and actually have faith in them then it seems to be working alright.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Brahman or Atman must be deconstructed via two fold emptiness. Thus anatta and dependent origination break down the "oneness" of Atman into interdependent suchness.

Basically the experience is correct but the "inherent" view is what causes the reification of awareness/presence as a thing.

And this leads to becoming and suffering like you said.

So on the surface level they appear to be the same conclusion. But in actuality Buddhism goes further by deconstructing this Atman. Anatta is a seal in Buddhism, there never was any entity in both self and other. Thus bringing everything into awareness/presence as an entity is not Buddhism and cannot be reconciled or overlooked.
  • Namaste to Everyone,
    It is good idea to practice & experience both Buddhism & Hinduism simultaneously. I am Hinduism follower & i have learnt from teaching of Buddha. And on another hand, i gobble an infinite amount of bliss & energy from chanting Vedic mantras like Gayatri Mantra etc. Regular contemplation on these Mantras & reading their commentaries have provided me significant amount of wisdom. Both these Dharmic religions are pure & having deep insight in it, they sooth thirst of real truth seeker.
    blu3ree
    edited June 2012
    Taiyaki:

Depends on what is meant by 'entity'.
    @caznamyaw

Why? Explain.
    Because there are many contradictory views, If you are a Buddhist and you take refuge you are no longer supposed to take refuge in worldly gods such as Brahma etc...Or hold views that are wrong according to Buddhist teaching and tradition. You can only take one path.
    And if you do you will:
    a. Go to hell
    b. Fly off the face of the earth
    c. Be punished by Caznamyaw

?

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @vinyl

nothing like that. just no progression on the path to the cessation of suffering.

taking refuge in the dharma is taking refuge on dependent origination.

dependent origination cuts the notion of god at its core.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Taiyaki:

Depends on what is meant by 'entity'.
    Not sure if I understand this. Entity is entity no matter how subtle or gross it is.

Dependently arising suchness is not an entity. Is it even one thing? See all designations fall apart. Its the full exertion of the whole universe of conditions coming together in this instant.

I like the analogy of bubbles or foam.

Can you clarify?
    edited June 2012
    I cannot clarify bubbles or foam.

It is as incorrect to call it 'not an entity' as to call 'it' an entity, or even a process. It is incorrect to speak of it in any terms. It it it...

But it can be skillful to do so.

I suggest, humbly, because I am sure you are at least as well-read as I, reading some Nagarjuna, particularly on the subject of cause and effect.

The subtle teachings are for people like you and I, who are too clever by half. :)
    @vinyl

nothing like that. just no progression on the path to the cessation of suffering.

Perhaps not all of us wants to cut the notion of god.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @vinylyn, Lama Surya Das advocates holding up the deities of our mother culture as sort of tools of metta or faith. But it doesn't mean taking the tenets such as not holding any false Gods.

I can see a problem in believing the world was created by Jehova and we are all sinners and must take Christ as saviour. Where is Buddha in that picture? You kind of end up making your own religion.

Making your own religion is not necessarily a bad thing. As Trungpa said 'your guess is as good as mine.'
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Tosh
    Dependent arising is a teaching, not an explanation.
    Read Taiyaki's post; he explains it. If all results need causes, then what are the causes that created a Creator God? Shouldn't we worship those causes that created the Creator God instead. Ah, but what are the causes that created the causes that created the causes of a Creator God? Shouldn't we worship those instead? Ah...

See how that works?

Inc88
    @vinylyn, Lama Surya Das advocates holding up the deities of our mother culture as sort of tools of metta or faith. ...

You kind of end up making your own religion.

Making your own religion is not necessarily a bad thing. As Trungpa said 'your guess is as good as mine.'
    That's my point. Thank you.

• Tosh

All that arises is suffering. All that ceases is suffering. The Buddha taught only suffering and the path to the end of suffering.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Tosh

All that arises is suffering. All that ceases is suffering. The Buddha taught only suffering and the path to the end of suffering.
    Yes, I know, suffering, origination, cessation and path.

Here, take a read:

Dependant Arising:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/depend.htm
    @caznamyaw

Why? Explain.
    And if you do you will:
    a. Go to hell
    b. Fly off the face of the earth
    c. Be punished by Caznamyaw

?

If you do... There will be no progress in either path, If you want to make progress in the Buddhist path abandon wrong views and conceptions. If you do not you will create more obstructions for yourself which supports Ignorance and its stemming delusions which inevitably lead to actions born from Ignorance which then create the causes for lower rebirth.

Buddha taught the path to end suffering if people wish to end suffering permanently and attain the bliss of full enlightenment certain things need to be abandoned. :)
    Inc88TheEccentric
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Once in Nalanda a prominent and wealthy householder named Upali, a well known lay disciple of Nigantha Nataputta (Jaina Mahavira), was expressly sent by Mahavira himself to meet the Buddha and defeat him in argument on certain points in the theory of Karma, because the Buddha's views on the subject were different from those of Mahavira.
    Quite contrary to expectations, Upali, at the end of the discussion, was convinced that the views of the Buddha were right and those of his master were wrong. So he begged the Buddha to accept him as one of his lay disciples (Vpasaka). But the Buddha asked him to reconsider it, and not to be in a hurry, for 'considering carefully is good for well known men like you'. When Upali expressed his desire again, the Buddha requested him to continue to respect and support his old religious teachers as he used to.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    I cannot clarify bubbles or foam.

It is as incorrect to call it 'not an entity' as to call 'it' an entity, or even a process. It is incorrect to speak of it in any terms. It it it...

But it can be skillful to do so.

I suggest, humbly, because I am sure you are at least as well-read as I, reading some Nagarjuna, particularly on the subject of cause and effect.

The subtle teachings are for people like you and I, who are too clever by half. :)
    You're right, we do it to ourselves...sigh. Time for lunch <3.

If you do... There will be no progress in either path, If you want to make progress in the Buddhist path abandon wrong views and conceptions. If you do not you will create more obstructions for yourself which supports Ignorance and its stemming delusions which inevitably lead to actions born from Ignorance which then create the causes for lower rebirth.

Buddha taught the path to end suffering if people wish to end suffering permanently and attain the bliss of full enlightenment certain things need to be abandoned. :)

First, stop telling other people that their beliefs are "wrong" and "ignorant".

And yes, Buddha "taught the path to end suffering". And he did it well. But, suffering and not suffering are not the only things involved with life.

edited June 2012
    Hi, Tosh

Even emptiness is empty. That's why it's a teaching, a strategy, not an explanation.
    To complete the fall, the intellect mistakes its own relative views and conceptual systems as unlimited and absolute, putting it at war with itself. For the dogmatic assertion of a single point of view necessarily excludes other views: the former as true is divided from the others as false and conflict results. Furthermore, every view, taken as exclusively true, ultimately ends in self-contradiction. Clinging to extremes, one is necessarily led to contradictions and dead ends. Then we either swing from extreme to extreme or reject the whole enterprise of thought altogether, subjecting ourselves to self-exile in a philosophical wasteland. But in both cases we are lead to our suffering by the same root-error.

The error of misplaced absoluteness which is the root of all ignorance and suffering takes two general forms: the error with regard to the mundane truth and with regard to the ultimate truth. The error with regard to the mundane truth is, as we have been discussing, to take the conditioned as unconditioned, to cling to the fragmentary as complete. This error results in (among other things) dogmatic views and the false sense of self. Sunyata, as a remedy for this error with respect to the mundane, teaches the relativity of all things, the dependent arising of determinate entities. As mundane truth, sunyata means that all things are empty of inherent existence.

But if one were to take this understanding of the emptiness of things as itself absolute, this again would be clinging: clinging to sunyata. This mistake is the error not with regard to the mundane nature of things but with regard to their ultimate nature. It is to take the conditionedness of the conditioned as itself unconditioned. But "this would mean an absolute division between the conditioned and the unconditioned, the divided and the undivided, the permanent and the impermanent, and in this case the undivided would not be the truly undivided, as it would be divided from the divided."[120] Thus one teaches the sunyata of sunyata: in the ultimate truth even sunyata is empty of absoluteness. Ultimately, even the division between the conditioned and the unconditioned is not absolute. Therefore we are not forever bound to our conditionedness because we, as conditioned entities, already are (in our ultimate nature) the unconditioned reality. In short, there is an end to ignorance and suffering...

...By revealing the contradictions that arise in this way from taking the relative self as absolutely existent, we thus reveal the sunya-nature, the relative and conditioned nature, of the self. We have then arrived at the truth with respect to the conventional world: that all things (in this case, the self) are empty of inherent existence. However, having denied the inherent existence of the self, suppose we now cling to this denial as itself absolute. In other words, we assert inherent non-existence, we make emptiness or relativity itself an absolute. Now in this case there is an absolute division between the relative and the absolute, the divided and the undivided. But then the undivided is not truly the undivided for it is divided from the divided. This contradiction forces us to surrender our clinging to the conditionedness of the conditioned as itself absolute.

At this point in the criticism we thus come to recognize that emptiness, sunyata, is not the ultimate truth. While this conditionedness and relativity of the self is its true nature in the conventional world, it is not its ultimate nature. Ultimately, the self is empty even of its conditionedness and relativity: it is ultimately empty of emptiness (sunyata-sunyata, as it is called). And since the conditionedness of the conditioned is ultimately conditioned, since the distinction between the conditioned and the unconditioned is itself conditioned, the conditioned is ultimately identical to the unconditioned reality.
    http://www.integralscience.org/sacredscience/SS_sunyata.html
    edited June 2012
    We don't inherently need deep, sophisticated doctrines. The Buddha only gives them to us in the way we give candy to a baby to stop him crying. Eventually the candy dissolves, as it was designed to, and with it the tears.

The only difference is that candy is a partial, temporary distraction; dissatisfaction will arise again from its roots, and the baby will cry again later. Buddhist practice, however, focuses every shred of our being, and eventually, when both the object of our focus and even the focusing itself are seen to be empty -
    "What lies on the other side of Unbinding?"

"You've gone too far, friend Visakha. You can't keep holding on up to the limit of questions. For the holy life gains a footing in Unbinding, culminates in Unbinding, has Unbinding as its final end. If you wish, go to the Blessed One and ask him the meaning of these things. Whatever he says, that's how you should remember it."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.044.than.html
    @vinyl

Only if one thinks of "God" as a first cause.

I think at a certain point one really has to examine what one considers themselves to be.

The thing about buddhism is that its not much of a belief system. In essence it is all about suffering and the cessation of suffering. Everything other than that is the skillful path.

So though we pick up buddhism or whatever "ism" we must really understand this.

We must do what works. If its from the hindusm then use it. If its buddhism then use it. Practicality over beliefs.

Unless its just about taking up a new belief system by bastardizing buddhism plus another religion. Which imo is disrespectful to other religions. If thats your thing which i am not saying it is then you're missing the whole point of buddhism.

That's an odd way of putting it. In my honest opinion what you have just said there is disrespectful and missing the point of Buddhism.

Buddhism, afterall sprang from Siddharthas understanding of Brahmanism which became Hinduism (if I'm not mistaken) and Zen is a mixture of Buddhism and Taoism...

If something resonates with me, I won't disregard it simply because it doesn't resonate with other Buddhists.

My beliefs about God (even as I have no faith in them) have been formed from introspection, meditation, dharma lessons, Taoism and yep, even a dash of Hinduism.

What do I consider myself to be? A temporary wave upon the water... A unique aspect of the universe. But we are also the water... We are also the entire universe unfolding before our very eyes. Does the universe percieve?

Through us we do.

Oh no! That shouldn't make sense to me! What will the neighbors think?

edited June 2012
    I have come to believe that all religions point to the same truth, the more deeper you get into the actual meaning. Still those insights seem to exist within the context of a particular belief system and some of them are more compatible with each other then others, imo. There is Dharma in the Gita, as there is Dharma in Rumi's poems (Sufi). But on the surface level of folk belief it could be difficult to reconcile even Buddhism and Hinduism.

As they approach me, so I receive them.
    All paths, Arjuna, lead to me.

(The Bhadavad Gita)

Florian
    edited January 2013
    Instead of restarting a new thread on the same subject, I'm reviving this one.

On another forum, I messaged a guy who considers himself a "Hinduddhist": A Hindu-Buddhist. I messaged him on how he reconciled the two and here is a snippet of his response.
    There's a misunderstanding in what atman is. There is a difference between atman and Atman. I use capital and underline to draw a distinction between the Real (Atman) and the unreal (atman). The atman is the illusory self we think we are. It does not exist on its own, nor is it permanent. Atman is that which is the true eternal Self, which we don't see because of our delusion and ignorance. But we do believe that the Atman is non-different than Brahman, that which is all existence. So you might say Hinduism, like Buddhism does not believe in a self. The atman is what is empty, sunyata. Sunyata is also emptiness of independent existence; things do not exist in and of themselves. An example is from Thich Nhat Hahn who says a piece of paper does not exist on its own. It's existence relies on many other factors. It is empty. Among all the schools of Hinduism and Buddhism, it's a matter of interpretation: exegesis and semantics.
    What do you think of this?
    sukhita
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    They completely contradict each other, Hinduism is trying to reach salvation through Gods while Budddhism is about reaching it yourself with guidance of the three jewels.
    Inc88
  • At their core, both teach non-duality. If mixing Hindu and Buddhist religious practice works for you, then by all means keep on doing it. Vedanta is rather interesting, @DaftChris, you may want to check it out. "The Book" by Alan Watts might be something you'd be interested in; because he speaks on both Vedanta (Hindu) and Buddhist philosophies.

I would say, in my limited knowledge of Vedic philosophy beyond Buddhism, that in Hinduism all things are Brahman. This is non-duality. However, I'd say that because Brahman (the Universal Atman) depends on individual atmans; it has no inherent existence. Because it has no inherent existence we could say that the universal self is anatman, non-self. In the end, these terms are merely used to point us a long the path. If Atman and Brahman work for you, then by all means keep on practicing in this manner.

Hope this helps

sukhitaJeffreyStraight_Man
  • but you know buddhist don't believe in any soul and creator of all everything right. however buddhism and hindiusm are believe in karma samsara and to do meditate and lots of similarity words have in both religion , but their fundamental are very different from each other you know soul creator and etc. in fact buddhism have deities and devas but they are not ultimate person or existence according to the buddhism all 6 kind existence are circle each other in samsara right