Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Realms

lotusbudslotusbuds Explorer
edited June 2012 in General Banter
I would like to post another one of my questions that I originally posted in the newbie thread.

Some schools of Buddhism believe in a pure land, and there is the concept of the different realms. The hell realm, godly realm (if I recall correctly), ghost realm. I am also very confused about these teachings, as I was under the impression that ghosts/heaven/concept of God did not matter in Buddhism. I know Buddha did not reject the notion of a higher power, but he did not incorporate it into his teachings...if Buddhism does not teach us about God(s), then what is this god realm? How is it possible for us to be reborn as a ghost or a god? It is almost a contradiction of Buddha's teachings?

Did Buddha ever specifically have any conversations about God?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    It reminds me of an exchange on the sidewalk between myself and an evangelist Chinese woman. She asked me if I wanted to go to heaven. I started laughing. She asked "why?". I said how ludicrous it seemed that a Chinese Christian was asking a Caucasian Buddhist about heaven. She then asked If I believed in heaven. I said yes but as a Buddhist it's not considered a very fortuitous place to find oneself..

Your posting contains too many questions to address. A little boiling down would help.

You can look at the realms as different representations of you, explanations for types of behaviour, descriptions of the associated Dharma strengths and blindness's of each grouping, the fortuitousness of finding yourself in the human realm where the Buddha's teaching can be followed and on & on..
    Gods supposedly have as a difficult a time finding their way to the sufferings cessation, as do ghosts and those in hell realms. The easiest explanation is that where you now are is the best position possible to find sufferings cessation.

The Buddha only taught about suffering and the way to it's extinction. As God or Gods neither aided nor hindered in such endeavours, he stayed out of that debate, as he did many others.
  • If one interprets the teaching of the 6 Realms to be literal, then it must first be understood that the "gods" in the Deva Realm are not entirely consistent with the typical Western concept of a god; rather, the gods in the Deva Realm die and go through rebirth just like everyone else, and like all non-human organisms, they are incapable of obtaining enlightenment.

However, one need not at all adopt a literalist view of the 6 Realms. Many Buddhists believe the teachings of rebirth and the 6 Realms to be figurative.

For example, imagine there was a very rich man who lived in great abundance and was virtually free from all worry, stress, and sadness -- but one day he lost everything and became very bitter, constantly craving his former riches, drowning in desire for that which he could no longer possess. In such a circumstance, those who accept a metaphorical view of the teachings of rebirth and the 6 Realms would say that this man was in the Deva Realm and was then subsequently "reborn" into the Realm of Hungry Spirits.

It is ultimately the responsibility if the individual to study the teachings of the Buddha and determine for him or herself whether or not they should be taken literally or metaphorically. Personally, I accept the teachings as figurative.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    good post, I ditto that.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I would like to post another one of my questions that I originally posted in the newbie thread.

Some schools of Buddhism believe in a pure land, and there is the concept of the different realms. The hell realm, godly realm (if I recall correctly), ghost realm. I am also very confused about these teachings, as I was under the impression that ghosts/heaven/concept of God did not matter in Buddhism. I know Buddha did not reject the notion of a higher power, but he did not incorporate it into his teachings...if Buddhism does not teach us about God(s), then what is this god realm? How is it possible for us to be reborn as a ghost or a god? It is almost a contradiction of Buddha's teachings?

Did Buddha ever specifically have any conversations about God?
    Hi LotusBud

Buddha taught about the 6 realms of Samsaric rebirth being born into each one has a specific cause, While there are magnitudes of gods enjoying higher pleasures they are not worthy objects of refuge because they are still confined within Samsara and will eventually pass into lower rebirth. Buddha interacted with several gods Such as Indra and Brahama whom requested him to teach Dharma, These are not creator gods, Within Buddhism there is no such thing as a creator God, The Gods that exist within Samsara are conditioned beings subject to Suffering (to a lesser extent) ageing, death and rebirth like the rest of us but they enjoy far superior forms and enjoyments to us.

Rebirth occurs because of the primary delusion of Self grasping within the mind it propels us to take another form based upon the actions we have committed previously which ripen at the time of death and cause us to be born within one of the 6 realms of Samsara.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Good article. :)

Buddhism and the God-idea
    by
    Nyanaponika Thera
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/godidea.html
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Some schools of Buddhism believe in a pure land, and there is the concept of the different realms. Did Buddha ever specifically have any conversations about God?
    It you read the suttas there are quite a lot of references to beings being reborn in different realms according to their actions - basically the teaching on kamma ( karma ).
    I can't recall anything in the suttas about God with a capital G, ie the creator god of the Abrahamic religions.

My advice would be to keep an open mind and not feel you have to believe or disbelieve or intepret or whatever.
    My advice would be to focus on Buddhist practice, eg meditation, keeping the precepts and mindfulness.
  • lotusbudslotusbuds Explorer
    Porpoise, thank you...I am definitly trying to keep an open mind, while making sure that I am believing and following what makes sense to me. One of the reasons that I was pushed away from Catholicism, esp; the church/community, was because you are told what to believe. I do not want Buddhism to feel the same way to me. At this point, I am chosing to accept certain teachings and beliefs in Buddhism, and others I am leaving out on the side. Not necessarily rejecting, but not giving them much weight. I think what is important is what you said. The practice. Being mindful, compassionate, practicing meditation. I hope that my choice not to draw heavy weight on things such as rebirth/realms does not make me less of a Buddhist than anyone else here.

Thank you for your comments and your feedback. I am learning a lot here and hope to learn more. I hope my questions seem open and non judgemental. I am simply experimenting and learning at this point to see what works for me and what I can take from Buddhism that will allow my life to be more about compassionate and kindness and less about suffering and attachment.
  • Lotusbuds
    then what is this god realm? How is it possible for us to be reborn as a ghost or a god? It is almost a contradiction of Buddha's teachings?
    Devas or gods must not be compared with anything Jewish, Christian or Muslim. Devas are luminous beings and can enter you directly. They are very blissful and wise. Many years ago, my girlfriend was helped by a deva who taught her one-pointedness of mind. I think the early Brits called them Elfs.

Keep in mind the Buddha is the teacher of gods and men.

"Monks, there is one person whose birth into the world is for the welfare of many, for the happiness of many; who is born out of compassion for the world, for the profit, welfare and happiness of gods and humans. Who is that person? It is a Buddha, a fully enlightened one" (Anguttara Nikäya i.20).