Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Spanking and Monsters

Omar067Omar067 Veteran
edited July 2012 in General Banter
I'm here today because I want to get Buddhist opinions on spankings. Now, I'm a 15 year old kid and I can honestly say that I dislike spankings and, where I come from, spanking is largely practiced. I personally think spanking is one of the things that has messed the world up so much. All it does is teach that pain and fear is how to solve problems. I know people who spank others and they say there are so anti bullying, but they can't see that spanking creates bullying. They don't know that it creates monsters. I just want some Buddhist opinions on these words.

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Buddhist opinions on spanking or the people who do it?
    Sounds like you already know it falls under the violence catagory.
    Not loving way of handling things, I agree with you.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Both I guess.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Omar067.....We should practice ethical behavior. It is my understanding, that
    spanking would not have been Buddha's first choice to dealing with children.

That being said, when all of us, including parents, make mistakes, the
    effects are numerous and everyone will have opinions on your mistakes
    and everyone else's.

Store how this particular issue effects you inside, and make the
    intention not to spank your own children,
    since your experience tells you it creates negativity.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Spanking, in my opinion, not only causes violence but spreads it. It teaches kids that the way to deal with problems is threats, intimidation and physical pain. You cannot train a child not to hit by hitting them. I was spanked as a child, very few times for very serious infractions, but I lived in fear of my dad for a long time. I obeyed, yes, but again in my opinion there are better ways to get kids to obey and learn rules without making them scared of their parents. To me spanking breaks the "cause no harm" precept. Especially because some children are far more sensitive than others, and you often don't know until they are much older, how they are affected by such things. You can tell a child you love them before/after you spank them. However, you cannot make them feel loved. There is a big difference between the two. It is not worth the possible harm it can cause them. I spanked my first child once, when he was about 3 years old. The look of fear, confusion, and shock on his little face immediately brought tears to my eyes, and I apologized profusely and never did it again. No rule breaking is worth the trust that is broken when you raise a hand to your child. Just my opinion, of course.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    I completely agree karasti. I'm glad you saw your mistake and fixed it. Other parents are cruel and don't understand that spanking has the potential to give birth to a bully.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I think my daughter would rather be spanked than have removed her Ipod from her sweaty mitts for periods of time. I'm sure she suffers physical withdrawal symptoms. Once, I removed her Xbox controller AND Ipod and I'm sure she was close to phoning Child Line because she considered this abuse of her human rights or something.

And sometimes I threaten to disable the wireless internet connection too; normally when it's getting in the way of homework. But I've never smacked; I've never ruled smacking out; but I've just never felt that there was a situation that warranted it.

Why smack when there's so many other punishments and rewards that can be used to encourage certain types of behaviours?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    We should try other things first, but sometimes nothing works quite like pain if it's administered correctly. I think society's actually gone downhill because people are afraid to spank their kids anymore even if they do something seriously wrong, and they don't do it in school... some kids' behaviors just won't get corrected in any other fashion (and most certainly if these trouble cases don't receive discipline they become trouble for all of us later on). We got spanked when we needed to be (me and my four brothers), and we certainly learned, but it didn't turn us violent. It has to be done right and done with love; abusive parents are something else.

It all depends on the approach, I think. Some people just make really mean and angry parents, and kids will be afraid if this is the case. Otherwise they'll just be afraid of doing wrong, without real fear of their parents.
    A parent might justify spanking by saying "I love you and I just want you to do right in the world" but do you really think that child is feeling loved when they are slapped/spanked by a parent? I highly doubt it. I know I never felt loved, i felt massive confusion because how can a parent say "I love you but I'm going to spank you know" and actually love you? What if a husband slaps his wife because he loves her and she's not behaving? Doesn't that sound ridiculous? It's no less ridiculous just because the person is a child. Most people spank out of a lack of knowing what else to do. It's what they grew up with and they turned out just fine, right? Controlling a child with intimidation (behave or I'll spank you!) is no different than the Christian "behave or you'll go to hell" intimidation I grew up with. It's not for me.

One of my kids has had some significant behavioral issues. But instead of looking at it as a view of "my kid is out of control and I need to get him back in control!" I treated him with compassion and put myself in his shoes to try to understand where he was coming from. He wasn't behaving because he was a bad kid who needed a slap to bring him under control. He was a little boy who was suffering greatly because of the death of his dad and needed understanding and love, not punishment. This is true of many situations, but parents just largely want to control their children, not understand them.

There is never a reason you need to resort to hitting to teach a child a lesson. If you feel you must hit them to teach them a lesson, then clearly you have done a poor job in teaching them that lesson on a level they can understand.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Cloud, people never stopped spanking their children. They still do it today. It's all around me. Society is no worse than it was before in your generation. In my community, I'm sure 100 percent of the parents spank their children, and they still do bad things. I know people who've been spanked and they hit other people because they want to be superior to others like their parents. Yes, I know some people who got spanked say they turned out fine, but that doesn't mean their children will. I've been spanked before, but now I've gone over seven years without being spanked, and every time I look back at those moments, I think of pain, fear, and cruelness. No matter how hard I begged, they didn't stop. I even see people laugh and joke about people being spanked. This is a problem in my community. As long as people think spanking is okay, there will always be people that go to the extreme. And to me, I think any kind of physical punishment that involves hitting a child, is bad.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the increase in juvenile delinquency and crime is a direct result of a lack of discipline. I'm talking discipline, not abuse. There are all kinds of horror stories about drunk guys whipping the shit out of their kids and everything else, and I'm not saying that's right at all. I'm saying just what's needed and no more, enough to impress upon a child that what they did is wrong and they should never do it again. Some children don't need spanked, but some definitely seem to need it (each child is different). Spanking shouldn't be for every little thing, just major things. We learn from pain like nothing else; a child who sticks their hand in the fire will immediately know not to do it again, and a healthy spanking is close to getting burned... it's certainly a strong teacher if *not* taken too far.

Anything can be taken to extremes, and it's the extremes we need to avoid while still recognizing that different methods work for different people (or children). We're all different after all, so drawing absolute lines is an exercise in futility. People who don't need or want to spank their kids, that's how they raise their kids. People who do, that's how they raise their kids... as long as it's not abuse. If anyone says spanking is always abuse, I think they are nuts and don't know what they're talking about. Pain is a teacher, while abuse is abuse. Sometimes only getting burned will turn our minds away from harmful activities (and that really is the crux of it, we love our children so we'll do what's necessary to protect them).
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    I live in the south. You think that when people said slaves should be released, that people actually said," Okay, let's them go." No. The same goes for spanking in the south, where I live. People spank their children, it never left, and nothing ever changed. Spanking shouldn't be for anything. It is wrong. We need to become a more calm race of beings in the universe, and leave old methods of punishment behind.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It's okay Omar. You wanted opinions, so I gave you mine. :) I think excessive/unwarranted spankings (abuse) and neglect can contribute heavily to the creation of monsters or dysfunctional individuals. I've never heard of someone becoming a monster/dysfunctional from the kind of spankings I or my brothers ever received, when we really did something terribly wrong or dangerous to ourselves and others. For that matter entire generations of my family would've received the same kind of discipline, and they're all good people. I think your experiences are different. We didn't get spanked very much at all because our parents only did it when needed, but we immediately learned from those experiences and understood (quite fully) that what we did must have been *very* wrong. That's a way that impresses upon the mind, especially when it's very judicially administered (very rarely, only when needed), that change is needed.

I would not say that pain is harmful. Too much pain can cause psychological issues, or if we ignore the pain we can cause harm to ourselves (we're not going to keep our hand in the fire), but pain itself is *not* "harm". It's telling us something. Abuse is something else.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Well I did I want opinions, and I should have expected ones that oppose my opinions on this popular matter. You were spanked and you turned out fine. I see that, but all I'm trying to get across is that spanking never left when the governor said it is illegal, and crime didn't rise just because people sometimes get in trouble because people claim to spank less. But honestly, do you think that spanking is the best way to handle a behavior problem when things get too out of control?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Whether something's illegal or not doesn't mean it's right or wrong. That just means it's legal or illegal, punishable or not punishable by law. So we'll get that out of the way. ;)

I don't think spanking is always the answer. As I said in my very first post, we should try other things first. If those other things don't work, however, it's better to spank (when warranted and not abusively) than to leave a child "untrained" and likely to recommit the harmful/wrong acts again. That is the point where my compassion would override my aversion to physical violence. People get too upset about pain, they'll even get upset about being slapped by a Zen master though he/she does it for the most compassionate reason.

Pain is only really bad when it's abusive; when the parent doesn't know what they're doing. It comes down to how you view pain. If you equate "pain" with "harm", that's pretty much it for you! :D I only think harmful pain is harmful pain, and I'm very much against pain that I think is harmful. Pain by itself can be either good or bad, depending on the conditions. Everything is like this, there are no absolutes (not even Buddhist precepts are meant as absolutes).

In your initial post you said "I personally think spanking is one of the things that has messed the world up so much.", and the way I see it is close to the opposite. Can either of us really say for sure? I find it compelling that until very recent times, spanking was always a normal thing, and the world wasn't so bad... that is, kids weren't so bad/undisciplined. It's easier to draw the opposite conclusion from the one you have, and that's not saying that it's all about spanking or not spanking. Single working parents that can't spend time with their kids and other factors are all a part of our current predicament I think.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Pain is bad. No one likes to be in pain. At least I don't. I know that when something is deemed illegal, it is not wrong, because there are things that are illegal and people think they should be legal. For me, spanking is one of things that causes great stress to weigh on my mind. I have not learned one thing from a spanking ever. The only reason I behave is because I think it is the right thing to do. I don't need anyone to inflict pain on me. Spanking is a tool that is used because the parent is tired. It not only controls with pain, but fear too. "I don't want to act bad because I will be spanked." That's what I really think goes through children's mind. Spanking is just not for me, and it never will be.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Spanking has messed up the world, plain and simple. I blame my hand getting scared for life because of the spanking method. My abusers were spanked, and my body has to take pain because of hit. People want stop fighting. Why hit to teach kids? It's pointless. People want to stop bullying. Why control kids with pain and fear? It's pointless. Spanking is an old cruel tool. It was used in slavery. It is used to today to control. The world was messed up before and it has actually got better because everyone doesn't want to hit to solve problems.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I'm sorry that you've had these bad experiences and understand how for you spankings must seem an unnecessary evil. I just don't automatically go to "pain is bad". If we can't see any benefits in pain, then what's the point of pain? Pain tells us something is wrong and can save our lives. This can be applied to the rearing of children, as indeed it has. For me pain will always wear the two hats... good and bad, depending on the situation. Everything is relative. In Buddhism we're taught to look for and experience suffering so that we know it fully, in order to transcend it (the Noble Eightfold Path is meant to separate us from our likes and dislikes, which makes us suffer, and we also meditate to see it more clearly). If we always say suffering is bad, or pain is bad, then we're only looking from one perspective and closing our eyes to half of the reality.

That's the one thing I'd close with, that there are always more ways to see things. We mostly stick to what we like, and automatically classify what we don't like as being wrong. It's difficult for us to lay our likes and dislikes aside and try to see a larger picture, which is why there's so much racism and religious intolerance and everything else.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Pain is known for teaching beings to avoid what hurts you. Like the pain that you have when you touch a fire. But a human inflicting pain to control you, is different. You always have the choice to talk about things, but the lazy, and the people who were spanked and turned out fine, thinks pain is the answer when all is lost. Pain is suffering no matter how you try to flip it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It's been a nice conversation Omar. This is just the point where we can't find agreement, but that's okay. I see where you're coming from and can understand why you feel the way you do.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Okay.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Thanks for taking the time to discuss this.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Happy to discuss. :D Discussion brings people closer to mutual understanding and opens up further possibilities for investigation and contemplation/reflection. I always think of forum discussions as potential learning experiences, no matter where you're coming from. This forum in particular is a great place for discussions because it's a "melting pot" of Buddhism on the internet. Nothing is excluded, and so we have many perspectives being advocated at any one time.
    So how do you reconcile causing pain and suffering to a small child, with Buddhism?

I totally agree all kids are different, and I'm not saying no parent should ever spank any child ever. I can say spanking was not the best option for me, and it's not for my kids, either. Most people (I'd say 100% but I try to leave room for outliers I'm not thinking of) spank without mindfulness. They spank because it's a snap reaction. Kid comes out and slaps mom on the leg, mom reaches back and slaps kid. Most of the time this is small children, too, who are not even capable of understanding right and wrong. These aren't parents who are Ward Cleaver types who say like on tv "Timmy, you did a wrong thing, and I'm going to have to spank you for it now. I love you, son." That is not how anyone I know spanks their children.

My main problem with it, is that most people who spank start spanking when kids are at a very young age, too young to understand what the parents want them to understand. It is not the fault of kids not being disciplined that is causing so many troubles, but a lack of mindful parenting. A lack of taking the time to consider what you are doing when you have sex with someone and bring a child into the world. A lack of caring to take the time to know who that child is and what works for that child before resorting to spanking.

I'm sure there are some parents who operate that way. But not a single of them that I know, does. They are inattentive parents who don't even seem to realize they have children, they treat them more like pets than kids, and their spanking is a snap reaction because they haven't bothered to take the time to think about how they are going to parent their children.

Whether it's spanking, yelling, grounding, time outs or whatever you use, if you have to do it many, many times for the same infraction, it's not working. If you have to spank your child 10 times for talking back to you, they aren't learning the lesson so why keep spanking? Parents don't know how to be parents. It has nothing to do with a lack of spanking and much more to do with mindfulness and the sacrifices being a parent brings. People don't want to make those sacrifices anymore.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Spanking just makes too much stress weigh down on my mind. I made a promise with myself a long time ago that I would not inflict pain on my loved ones if I ever become a parent. The link below is another reason why spanking is not for me.
    http://cdugan0.tripod.com/SpkSlavery.html
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @karasti
    Children not understanding, not capable of understanding, is I think the reason spanking became an acceptable practice in the first place. You don't spank them hard, and you always spank them on the butt where it doesn't cause real harm, but it would teach them in a way they could understand at a young age and that would leave an impression upon them. When they're older there are more ways to make them understand the gravity of the things they've done, and spanking shouldn't be anything remotely near "routine".

I think it's the bad apples that ruin the concept for others. The ones who don't really understand the limits and appropriate times for spanking children, and cause actual harm physically and mentally/emotionally to their children. As a child if you have horrible experiences with being spanked, you'll be very turned off from the idea of spanking entirely. I'll admit it's my not-so-bad experiences with being spanked (which include the resultant change in myself, and the parental perspective) that allow me to see the benefits of spanking, while still seeing how it can be abused, so it's a matter of experience. There's no right and wrong answer, only good and bad applications of the principle.

Buddhism says, as a precept not an absolute, to not cause harm. As I talked with Omar about earlier, if you automatically equate pain with harm, then this is the end of that thought for you. If you see both the benefit and the harm, the relative value of pain, it's something different. That's where I come from, but other people come from different experiences and will naturally disagree. That's okay! :) It's so very easy to be stuck in absolutes though, so we should try to understand where other people are coming from, and accept that nothing is so black and white as opposing sides/opinions would suggest.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    I see the benefits of spanking, but I personally think the harm out weighs the benefits.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I agree with you provisionally, that if it's not done properly then the harm would outweigh the benefits. That's closer to us agreeing though, isn't it? ;) A lot of things are like this. If acupuncture were done incorrectly the harm would outweigh the benefits; if someone took too much medicine, or exercised too much, or ate too little... lots of things.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Yeah, it is closer to us agreeing.
    The problem with children not understanding is, they don't even know they did something wrong, and they are then being punished for it. Punishment doesn't have the desired effect (don't to that again/follow the rule) until they are closer to school age. And when you spank a child that young, you don't know enough about that child to know if you are causing them emotional harm, because they aren't old enough to tell you. If you are going to spank, at least do it at an age where you know the child and what their personality and emotional make up is.

Until they are old enough for that, then it's your job as a parent to protect them. You don't spank a 2 year old for going near the fire, you protect them from getting near it in the first place, that's your job. Expecting them to know better is just impossible. Time outs usually work quite well for children that age (I've been through 3 kids that age, and have yet to find timeouts not working for kids under 5 or 6 years old)

I personally don't want to be the one to cause pain in my child, of any sort. And I in no way can know if I'm causing them pain (other than physical) if they are too young to have really developed their emotional mind. Pain may not always be harm, it does serve a purpose after all. But for me, pain does = suffering, and I don't want to be the cause of suffering in my child's life. From their point of view, having a parent at all is enough suffering! :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    They don't know they did something wrong, so they need to learn they did something wrong. You combine simple words like No with a light spank on the butt, usually over a diaper so it's more symbolic than painful. I just think people do it wrong in a lot of cases. I'm sure from watching my younger brothers grow up that I was spanked when I was that young, and neither I nor them had harmful effects from it. It's more "training" than "punishment", and you have to do it with a compassionate heart and without going overboard. Again it's the people who take things too far that ruin it.

You protect them and watch them as best you can, but any parent knows you can't prevent every bad thing from happening to them (or every instance of them doing bad/harmful things). It's actually best to stop them from bad actions the first time they do them, to break the cycle before it begins. Children need to be guided, and we all do it differently, but we shouldn't take it to extremes... there are, quite frankly, bad parents. Spanking doesn't make a parent bad or else I'd reasonably conclude my own parents were bad, but the fact is they were excellent parents and raised well-adjusted children, and they did use spanking as appropriate.

It's crucial to start children out right from the get-go. Many people don't know what to do as new parents, and only try to correct their child's bad behavior after they're too old, which is difficult. It's like improperly training a puppy, not that a human child is the same but in the ways that the situation is similar. People go from not spanking their children at all when they're young, to spanking them too freely and forcibly when they're older, and this may in fact be the source of many over-abusive seeming parents.

I learned how one should properly use spanking from my parents, and this reminds me of the relationship between master and student in Buddhist traditions. It's just as likely that people who don't know how to use spanking properly will pass this improper methodology onto their own children, causing a vicious cycle by tradition. And so we have good application and bad application respectively. So what does this mean? That it's going to depend.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Spanking is not a good form of training and punishment. I would rather talk than hit. Things would be much easier. Kids wouldn't do bad things if they weren't introduced to bad things. And if you spank a child because they put their life in danger, I think that is not an effective way of teaching them how to not get hurt. The child only understands that he or she hurt me, not the car I ran in front of. I'm sure talking or taking the child away from that danger is better. It's really bad if you spank a kid, who doesn't understand what they did wrong because you would just be spanking them, and nothing else.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    If only we could go from "always" or "not"... to "not always", to "sometimes", or "perhaps" even. :) How do you train a puppy? You catch them right when they do something wrong and punish them, so they associate the action with the punishment. Psychology 101. You don't actually harm them, you just associate the action with punishment.

With children it doesn't have to be spanking if you're against spanking, but it can be if done with gentleness and compassion. If there's living proof that spanking can be done and not cause harm (actually cause corrective behavior), and living proof that spanking can be done wrong (causing harm instead), then we must conclude that "depending on how it's done", spanking can be either good or bad (not necessarily one or the other).

We can draw this as a reasonable conclusion, no? This is going beyond my experience or your experience and using both to see the relativity at play. If we can't agree on that point... well, that's all I've got. ;) Still an interesting discussion, even if we can't find agreement anywhere.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    My experience with spanking, and from the people I see who get spanked, causes me to disagree. I just can't see the good in it. It's just a lazy method. Sure you can see the results of spanking faster than the results of a good talk, but non physical punishment is always better for children. Where I come from, spanking is used for the simplest mistakes. Boy, this is just to stressful for me to think about. Spanking has been used for the most evil activities in the world and people use it on others today. Life is suffering. Well, I've tried. We just can't agree on this matter.
    Omar, aren't you like 13 or 15? How on earth would parents still spank at that age? It does sound to me like the extreme physical punishment you see where you live goes beyond normal spanking.

Cloud, when considering all things, yes, for some kids and some families, spanking can be a good thing, obviously, because you are a good example of that :) And a swat on a diapered butt is not something I'd consider a spanking. With my parents (mostly my dad) a spanking was over the knee, bare butt leaving red marks.

I remember being spanked once in particular. I was about 5 years old, and a friend and I walked down to a nearby river without telling anyone. Later on I got a spanking from my dad. Did I learn not to go by the river alone? Yes. But I also learned not to trust my father anymore, and I obeyed out of fear of him, that didn't resolve until I was an adult. As a grandfather now, he admits spanking wasn't the right thing to do and he'd do it differently now. My sister on the other hand was always getting spanked (and it never taught her a single lesson about following rules) and at 34 she still has a strained relationship with my father because she was a very emotionally sensitive child who had her trust violently violated (in her words) from a very young age by 2 people who were supposed to protect her, but didn't know how to manage her. So, same parents, different experience. Interestingly, I decided after that one time not to spank my kids. She doesn't have kids, but has maintained if she did, she would spank them. And she's been involved in big domestic fights with her partners at time, involving broken glasses, bruises and other such things. That she feels she's of the emotional stability to "properly" spank a child, is frightening.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    I'm 15, and I can still get spanked if I cross the line. Fortunately, my fear of getting the punishment is high, and I don't talk back to my parents for anything. I behave because I think it is the right thing to do too. Spanking where I live is just about the only punishment. Welcome to southern USA.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It does make me very sad when people have bad experiences like this, but I also recognize that it's the experiences that are talking (including my own). This is why I don't try to cling to absolute terms, or to my own likes and dislikes, but would like to see the larger picture of each issue.

All that I can say is that it seems there's a way spanking can work to advantage, and a way spanking can work to disadvantage. If I take it any further than that, into the realm of (definite) yes/no or (definite) right/wrong, then I'm choosing sides in a side-less reality. I can't very well not take my experiences into account, nor can I discount the experiences of others, and so this is where it all comes to a head.

And right back to "it depends". If anyone can show otherwise, reasonably, I'm all eyes and ears (and probably a mouth and fingers after that). With this and many things in my life, I try to walk a middle path between extremes that are themselves not "actually" how things are. Taking all things into consideration, black and white becomes grey. We like black and white, we like it to be a simple yes/no, but life isn't like that in many regards at all.

Who can say anything for sure? It's all so uncertain. What's poison to us is food to something else, and this relativity of good and bad suggests that absolute good and bad are an illusion we create. We create it, we cling to it, and then when things aren't necessarily that way... we suffer. Much of the division in the world is due to clinging to extremes, to "this is the only right way". That makes me more sad than I can put in words, not for myself but for all of us. From where else does our suffering come?
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    I don't see the bad in getting rid of spankings, or simply not dishing out spankings. My life is basically "Do what I tell you or you get spanked." Currently, this my life, and it is my suffering. I go to school, and I think," I better do this work right or I'm going to be spanked." One mistake and it's over. Then not only do you get a spanking, there are kids who laugh about it, parents talk about like it's cool. It's okay to beat, spank, and hurt your children. This really puts pressure on me. It never ends. Being around people who are pro spanking and cruel is my suffering. Again, getting rid of spanking would relieve suffering or do nothing.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    If you or I could know for sure that "not spanking" would "do nothing" in regards to those who would have benefited from spanking (such as myself), I'd agree. However I'm the person I am today because of appropriate discipline, rather than abusive violence, and I wouldn't be at all comfortable/certain saying I'd be the same without spanking.

How can we know for sure? That's crucial. If we go to certainty, where certainty is not yet warranted, we've gone too far. At least that's how I look at it. I'll discuss until the sun goes down or comes up, but we have to resolve these kinds of questions if we're being realistic and reasonable. Whatever the end result is, we'll have exhausted the possibilities and will then know for sure (if we can). I think this is both scientific in method and Buddhist in method.

Your case seems rather clear-cut as "not appropriate", and that's understandable.
    It's so very easy and tempting to say "just this", and not budge. I'm willing to change my views if there's sufficient reason, which is part of the reason I even care to discuss anything. I've changed a lot over the years for the better, and I don't think any change now is going to make things "worse". ;) My most recent change has been open support of gay marriage, rather than being the silent type who won't stand up for others when there's clear discrimination.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    So you had to get pain inflicted on you to get where you are today? It was spanking that started abuse, and as long as it is okay, it will continue to contribute to abuse. I can't imagine myself getting hurt then saying,"You were right mom, you should have hurt me for that." I know people who got spanked turned out fine, but wouldn't you want to make a better solution to disciplining than spanking? I guess not and history repeats it's self over and over. Children don't have any rights. Beat up an adult you get consequences. A parent beats up a kid, call it spanking. Spanking, beat, it's all the same to me. All I want is for people to leave stone age punishments behind and come up with better solutions. Maybe I just oppose spanking because I want protect my own bottom rear. If spanking is what made you what you are then fine. It's understandable that you think that way. Again, spanking is not for me.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I will agree that if there was a better solution that was certain, that all parents would be able to apply and would do for others what spanking did for me, that would be a change for the better.

I can't say that some other method wouldn't have worked for me, only that some minor temporary pain did work quite well for me. The lessons stuck with me, I knew what was wrong. What I can't say is that some other method *would* have necessarily worked as well for me. That's what I don't know. This is what we can't yet answer. People are different and situations are different, we don't all learn the same way.

When you say things like "have pain inflicted", it sounds like torture... it was nothing like that in my experience. I think it's been that way in your experience, and so there's quite a different outlook between us. I can very much feel where you're coming from, but I think your experience has been so bad that it's going to stick with you.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yes, because I've seen the bad side of spanking. I've looked around at my community and I see that it has done nothing for it. All I see is a bunch of people hurting their youth because they were spanked as kids and they turned out fine. Torture and spanking have one main thing in common. The use of pain to achieve something from an individual. I don't know if my life would be better without this because it was what I was raised on but it still seems wrong to me. Just my opinion.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I understand, and I think that's that. ;) There's just a point you can't go beyond in a conversation, a point of "values" that are derived from our individual experiences and that we hold close to our hearts. It does still seem to have been a fruitful discussion; I feel that I learned something from it.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Yep, this conversation can't go any further. Still, you defended spanking is not really wrong, better than anybody else that I've seen so far. In the end, you just have to let somethings be. Nice discussion anyways.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    leave stone age punishments behind and come up with better solutions.
    You're still young and your parents are trying their best to protect you - they're trying to communicate with you to tow the line in a certain way - spanking is not the most
    effective method of communication but sometimes life does throw you a spanking.

As you gain more experience and mature you'll more and more have definite views and ambitions leading to greater autonomy in your behaviour - these may or may not clash with those of your parents and your family as a whole - it is natural at first for this behaviour to be seen as extreme and as such for it to attract an extreme communication (in this case a spanking).

On the whole however, spanking will be only a part of your overall total communications with your parents - focusing on it solely and bemoaning its qualities has less of a chance of assisting a solution.

Perhaps consider some strategies:

A 'better solution' within your control is your own behaviour - consider acting within the spirit of your parents' best expectations - e.g. rather than worrying that if you dont study you will be spanked - just study - spanking is no longer an issue... see if this can be applied to other areas.

Enforce other communications with your parents - if you're able to open and maintain numerous lines of effective communication, your parents may well resort less to extreme intervention.

It's tough being a teenager - tumultuous times - hang in there.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Yep, this conversation can't go any further. Still, you defended spanking is not really wrong, better than anybody else that I've seen so far. In the end, you just have to let somethings be. Nice discussion anyways.
    Not necessarily right either though. To me it depends, because there have been both positive and negative consequences. If it were all negative, that'd be another story. ;) Yes it's been a nice discussion.

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    Spanking isn't communication. It's dominant people controlling you with fear and disregarding the person's feelings. People always seem to think that the parent is right and they are trying to keep you safe, but that is not always the case. All I want is for people to give more creative punishments than spanking. It really does nothing but teach fear and pain. I will hang in there and I will stay quiet until I can stand on my own two feet.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I can't think of a single situation where inflicting pain and humiliation on a child is appropriate. My wife and I raised three children without it. And I am somewhat flabbergasted by any defense of it, especially on a Buddhist website. I know there is a wide range of situations that can arise but I have to wonder if they all don't fall under safety, conformity, parental embarrassment, or a parent just not being able to let a child behave as a child will at times. Each of these areas that incite spanking can and should be handled differently. Best wishes to all, and pointedly to Omar067. Be wise and compassionate to your parents for I'm sure they love you and are doing what they think is best.
    Zero makes a good point. You cannot control your parents, only yourself. You might just be biding your time until you can control your own life, but 3 years isn't as long as it seems. Sometimes you just have to do whatever you can to fly under the radar until a situation improves. It'll happen in other areas of life as well.

Other things you can do: realize that your parents are likely doing the best they can. It's hard to do right by your kids, especially if you come from a place that was less than ideal when you were a child. You can try talking to them, if you feel that would be productive and tell them how you honestly feel, be prepared to go to them with ideas, real ideas, of what punishments might be appropriate. Perhaps they just have not thought of anythin else.

Practice. Meditate and build compassion for your parents and the other parents who have grown up how they did, to think spanking is the only answer. For them to not be able to come up with any other answer to raising children, they must have suffered as children as well. Perhaps the way they are doing things IS a vast improvement on what they grew up with. I know that was the case with my mom. She grew up in a horrible household, she did leagues better than her parents did, but she still didn't do perfectly by any means. Parents are just people too and most of them try to do right by their kids with whatever means they have learned. Kids can be teachers for their parents, too, maybe it is time for you to teach them. Just don't let it come across as you needing to school them. If you want to be treated as a mature, responsible person, make sure you are acting like one. (these are all things I tell my own son, who is also 15).

It's really hard being a parent. I remember being your age, and thinking my parents didn't know me, didn't get me, didn't know what it was like growing up. You don't understand what it is to raise kids, until you have them. Finally, even if you cannot talk to them, even if you have to bide your time until you can leave, you can at least live in peace knowing you know better, and that you'll do better and do differently than your parents did. Keep that in mind and practice on it so you don't lose it. It's very easy to get caught up in bad cycles of things. Perhaps you have the parents you do, so you are the stopping point in that cycle.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Communication is imparting information - your parents are attempting to impart information to you - unskillfully in your eyes.

Your parents are human beings - they may or may not be right but they are in all likelihood attempting to give you the same or better survival chances that they have - kinship is a strong bond.

Are you sure you want more creative punishments?
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I want less dominance and more understanding between child and parent. What I meant by leaving stone age punishment behind is that spanking is ineffective and has done nothing for a long time. Because I'm 15, I lose points in this discussion.