Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Home made bread...

ToshTosh Veteran
edited July 2012 in General Banter
Anyone do it? I'm really enjoying it. Last week I made focaccia (an Italian flat bread) that I've nick named, "Uncle Mark's Back":

Photobucket

And after two weeks of 'brewing' a sour dough starter, today I made my first every sour dough bread. It tasted pretty good, but after checking and feeding my 'pet' regularly for the past two weeks, I thought it would taste much better than 'pretty good'.

But I'm really enjoying the process of making bread; anyone else into it?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    I used to make homemade pizza all the time.

Which is kind of like bread. Mmmmm.

That bread look good btw.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    We call it 'Uncle Mark's Back'; he has a particularly bad skin condition.
  • looks really good.
  • Ewwwwww! That is gross! :lol:

Still looks good though. I've thought about trying it but we don't have a bread maker and I don't want to buy one because I'd probably do it once and never use it again lol
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I've been thinking of buying a bread maker so that I could reduce the sodium in bread I eat. Most bread you buy in stores is very high in sodium.

I know you can't make pizza crust in a bread maker, but if you make a pizza with pepperoni and sausage, guess what part of the pizza has the most sodium. Not the pepperoni. Not the sausage. The pizza crust.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Not a fan of sourdough, but I love a really-weighty, dense white bread when I can get it ... which is very rarely.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Ewwwwww! That is gross! :lol:

Still looks good though. I've thought about trying it but we don't have a bread maker and I don't want to buy one because I'd probably do it once and never use it again lol
    Breadmakers are class; it's just so easy. You bung in the ingredients, turn it on, and a few hours later you have fresh bread and almost no mess.

When making flat breads or more complicated 'artisan' breads, I just use the dough setting and it does all the hard messy work of kneading the dough.

It's also a good introduction to bread making; once you start getting into it, you find there's different types of yeasts and stuff to feed the yeast (honey for example, instead of sugar), or different amounts of water to use to produce a different effect/texture, or even different types of flour with different gluten contents, to give a different type of bread.

It's interesting stuff, but with a breadmaker, you're guaranteed a nice loaf.

My juicer I rarely use, but I've had my bread machine for a few years now and it may lie dormant for some months, but it always comes out and gets used regularly again.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I've been thinking of buying a bread maker so that I could reduce the sodium in bread I eat. Most bread you buy in stores is very high in sodium.

I know you can't make pizza crust in a bread maker, but if you make a pizza with pepperoni and sausage, guess what part of the pizza has the most sodium. Not the pepperoni. Not the sausage. The pizza crust.
    I believe salt is added to bread to help it rise evenly during the baking process (not totally sure on this), but I always use low sodium salt, not normal table salt, and the results are fine.

And you could use the dough setting on a bread maker to make the dough for the pizza base, and once the machine has done the kneading, you then do the easy fun part of shaping the base.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Not a fan of sourdough, but I love a really-weighty, dense white bread when I can get it ... which is very rarely.
    I expected the taste of my sourdough loaf to be really complex - just like I read - the slow growing natural yeast was meant to give a deeper layer of flavour. Maybe it did, but my taste buds didn't register it?

It's fun though, I enjoyed the process of making sour dough bread more than the actual eating of it. You get some flour and water, mix it into a paste, and I left it by an open window to 'catch' some airborne yeast. And then I covered it with a cloth and took a look each day. It smelt a little like baby sick. Every few days I fed my pet (yeast) with fresh flour and when I eventually added it to my flour, water, honey, olive oil and let the bread machine make it into a dough - it was really quite exciting, seeing if it would rise. It did.

It takes longer to rise than normal fast acting yeast, so I shaped the dough into a rough loaf and cooked it in the oven.

You know, you can get sour dough starters that are supposedly hundreds-years-old!

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Oh, just remembered; I used some spelt flour - Romans used to use this flour - to make some bread with. Spelt doesn't contain as much gluten as wheat flour, consequently the loaf doesn't rise as much; however you do get a heavy, dense bread which tastes slightly nutty.

For a less dense - but still dense - loaf you can mix spelt 50/50 with wheat flour.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I haven't made bread but I've been experimenting lately with low fat, low sugar baking. Cookies, brownies and banana bread so far. I use a stevia baking mix for the sweetener and I've been alternating between margerine and unsweetened apple sauce instead of butter and use egg whites instead of whole eggs.

So far the outcomes have been pretty good. They are plenty sweet with the stevia and I think the apple sauce makes them moister than the margerine. The texture at least on the cookies has been a bit rubbery so far and they don't spread out when baking so I have to flatten them out beforehand. They all have tasted really good so far though and without the sugar crash or me having to worry about my cholesterol to satisfy my sweet tooth.