Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Changing to a more "green" diet.

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited August 2012 in Diet & Habits
A little while back, I went on a diet and lost a little over 70 pounds. I didn't completely cut out "bad" things like sweets and fried foods, but I did reduce them greatly; So I could still eat them and not feel bad. However, now when I have a piece of fried chicken or a hamburger, I feel sick and feel like I have to puke an hour later.

I want to switch over to a "pollotarian" diet; meaning the only meat I'll eat will be poultry (non-fried). 'Tis quite difficult though, as I still do have cravings for things like steak and bacon. Can anyone give me any advice and suggestions?

Comments

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Send any bacon you don't want my way :p Also, congrats on 70lbs, that's amazing!
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @RebeccaS

Will do. :)
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Also, sometimes (not always, but sometimes) when you crave something it's because your body is lacking something. You're probably craving bacon just because it's delicious :p or maybe protein, but maybe you're craving steak because you're not getting enough iron or something?
    It's the reason women get cravings during pregnancy a lot of the time.

Just a thought :)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    If you can find cottage bacon, it's much healthier for you than regular bacon. We make our own bacon, and it's just as tasty (more so even) and has far, far less fat because it's taken from a different part of the animal. Cottage bacon is made the same way.

It's quite possibly the excessive fat that makes you feel sick, so if you want to have a steak every once in a while, just choose one with a lean cut and trim it. Make things like tacos and hamburgers, out of turkey instead of ground beef.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I went on a diet and lost a little over 70 pounds.

However, now when I have a piece of fried chicken or a hamburger, I feel sick and feel like I have to puke an hour later.

'Tis quite difficult though, as I still do have cravings for things like steak and bacon. Can anyone give me any advice and suggestions?
    That's an amazing achievement - very inspirational - well done.

If you've drastically reduced your fat intake then it is not uncommon to have this reaction to very fatty foods - on the otherside, you will have built your tolerence up over the years so proportionally the diet period is the anomaly.

Try cooking steak and bacon without fat and see how you go - you may find that you are able to consume them without feeling sick.

Steak comes out well on a skillet with no oil whatsoever, a lean slice will have little fat other than marble - same with bacon - try microwaving or grilling - again the fat drops off and youre left with a leaner meat - try making your own hamburgers with good cuts of meat and fresh ingredients.

In the main cooking yourself will allow you to control the ingredients and cooking process and you may find that you can tweak stuff to suit your taste.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    A little while back, I went on a diet and lost a little over 70 pounds. I didn't completely cut out "bad" things like sweets and fried foods, but I did reduce them greatly; So I could still eat them and not feel bad. However, now when I have a piece of fried chicken or a hamburger, I feel sick and feel like I have to puke an hour later.

I want to switch over to a "pollotarian" diet; meaning the only meat I'll eat will be poultry (non-fried). 'Tis quite difficult though, as I still do have cravings for things like steak and bacon. Can anyone give me any advice and suggestions?

Take a "middle way" approach. Maybe have steak and/or bacon once a month, just to satisfy those cravings. Then, try once every 1.5 months, etc.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Also, sometimes (not always, but sometimes) when you crave something it's because your body is lacking something. You're probably craving bacon just because it's delicious :p or maybe protein, but maybe you're craving steak because you're not getting enough iron or something?
    It's the reason women get cravings during pregnancy a lot of the time.

Just a thought :)
    Right on the money!!