Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Fake" Buddhists?

Comments

• PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    It just means, I agree, I agree - what?

Like 'eh?', only they hold the sound for much longer.
  • The pre-Shakyamuni, spent time with teachers and companions before The Bo tree experience. Did he remain free of teaching by example at least? He of course abandonded the extremes of behaviour and made good some of his previous behaviour.

The Buddha was a real person, with the same frailties as us. The same mistakes. Uniquely he developed skilful means to overcome rather than succumb. Initially he spent his time in great but essentially fruitless efforts. We should have compassion for all beings, including all us pre-buddhas.

Namo Amida Butsu
    Jeffreyzsc
  • federica said:

Actions speak louder than words.

If they have a Zen-like garden with a Buddha seated serenely under bamboo, next to a soothingly bubbling fountain, and they wear loose flowy clothing, with a mala round their neck, it's possible they may pt themselves across as being Buddhist.
    However:

If they think nothing of swatting flies or kicking the dog;
    If they think taking the odd pencil/pen/stapler from work is no big deal;
    If they think it would be fun to have an affair with the neighbour's hot spouse;
    If they (consequently) gossip about their neighbour's obviously inadequate sex life, and lie about their own prowess;
    If they regularly consume a six-pack of beer and smoke a smelly reefer -

chances are, Buddhism is not their priority....

See..... It's all in the 'do', not the 'say'.

Right on - I agree with you completely.
  • It Ain't What You Do It's The Way That You Do It as I sing to the Buddha in my garden, under the bamboo . . .

. . . and now back to the sham . . .
    :)
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    People who hang Tibetan Prayer Flags in their home but have no idea what they are or the significance of them.

;)

• Fake Buddhists would describe most posters on here. I really shouldn't get so uptight over this, as it's quite understandable that most of you would behave this way. But I guess this sort of forum just adds more fuel to wrong views from mutual support.

People with enough good merits and wholesome roots will probably use this forum as a springboard onto real practice with Monastic teachers and a Sangha. But for arrogant deluded and people with issues this forum just further increases their ego and reinforce their preconeived wrong idea toward reality by feeding off each other's group mentality.

Yall complain about how evil the world is, how bad the captialists are blah blah, well, how is your behaviour not different if not worse? When egoistical intentions to be special and right make make direct slanders toward teachings for the Buddha and Honoured sages?! The moderators are not real practitioners hence does not even control the situation on here.

Most of the views I see on here is not too different to many people who doesn't know Buddhism.

Instead of change the self, you trying to "change the Dharma" to yourself, but the Dharma cannot actually be changed because it's the truth.
    TheEccentric
    Metallica said:

Fake Buddhists would describe most posters on here. I really shouldn't get so uptight over this, as it's quite understandable that most of you would behave this way. But I guess this sort of forum just adds more fuel to wrong views from mutual support.

People with enough good merits and wholesome roots will probably use this forum as a springboard onto real practice with Monastic teachers and a Sangha. But for arrogant deluded and people with issues this forum just further increases their ego and reinforce their preconeived wrong idea toward reality by feeding off each other's group mentality.

Yall complain about how evil the world is, how bad the captialists are blah blah, well, how is your behaviour not different if not worse? When egoistical intentions to be special and right make make direct slanders toward teachings for the Buddha and Honoured sages?! The moderators are not real practitioners hence does not even control the situation on here.

Most of the views I see on here is not too different to many people who doesn't know Buddhism.

Instead of change the self, you trying to "change the Dharma" to yourself, but the Dharma cannot actually be changed because it's the truth.

I think this post should be moved to the Snobbery discussion I started ;)
    lobsterkarastiTheEccentricNirvana
  • Metallica said:

Fake Buddhists would describe most posters on here. I really shouldn't get so uptight over this, as it's quite understandable that most of you would behave this way. But I guess this sort of forum just adds more fuel to wrong views from mutual support.

Oh my!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Metallica said:

Sounds like you'd be happier contributing somewhere then. So long, and thanks for all the fish. :wave:
    lobsterTheEccentricNiwalen
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Well that escalated quickly.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    DaftChris said:

Problem solved. Carry on. :)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    DaftChris said:

I know it looks that way from your perspective, but it was not unexpected by me considering their behavior and interactions with moderators the last few weeks.
    DaftChris
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    well that was interesting, lol.
    @Bunks, the jpg you posted earlier didn't show up for me, and when I click on it it just says it cannot display because of errors. What was it?

karasti said:

well that was interesting, lol.
    @Bunks, the jpg you posted earlier didn't show up for me, and when I click on it it just says it cannot display because of errors. What was it?

Bummer! I hung some Tibetan prayer flags in my house that someone gave me but realised I didn't know what they were!

Just taking the piss out of myself
    Nirvana
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    My name is Spartacus and I am a fake Buddhist..
    lobsterNirvana

• @Bunks

What's to know about prayer flags? Any where one buys prayer flags they can find out what the meaning is behind them (and the various kinds of flags) as well as how to hang them horizontally or vertically. I mean, what's the big Buddhist 'mystery' about prayer flags? Pretty straight forward, no?

for "Christmas", I'm giving my eldest daughter a beautiful amethyst wrist mala (her birthstone) and a set of authentic Tibetan prayer flags to hang outside her home. They come with a description of their meaning and instructions for hanging. (Getting myself a set as well)

I put Christmas in quotes because we still celebrate 'the season' -even as Buddhists - because the rest of our large, immediate and extended family, spouses, and friends are pretty much all Christians who celebrate Christmas. Celebrations are great- in any culture! :D
    andyrobyn
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    If a person sees them hanging they don't know what they mean unless they ask or look it up, though. A lady near the school has a set on her porch and everyone thought they were gay pride flags, lol. There is a place here that sells them just rolled up with a rubberband, with no explanation or anything. If you ask of course they'll tell you, but not all of them are sold with explanations. I do think there are people who hang them without knowing what they are for, but perhaps it doesn't matter. Some people just like flags I guess!
  • federica said:

If they have a Zen-like garden with a Buddha seated serenely under bamboo, next to a soothingly bubbling fountain, and they wear loose flowy clothing, with a mala round their neck, it's possible they may pt themselves across as being Buddhist.
    However:

If they think it would be fun to have an affair with the neighbour's hot spouse;
    If they (consequently) gossip about their neighbour's obviously inadequate sex life, and lie about their own prowess;

I have to agree with this answer. It happens in every religion...some say what devoted (fill in the blanks) they are, but make a show of that religion. In the privacy of closed doors, one could be a child molester, or be a crack head.. etc.

Niwalen
    karasti said:

If a person sees them hanging they don't know what they mean unless they ask or look it up, though. A lady near the school has a set on her porch and everyone thought they were gay pride flags, lol. There is a place here that sells them just rolled up with a rubberband, with no explanation or anything. If you ask of course they'll tell you, but not all of them are sold with explanations. I do think there are people who hang them without knowing what they are for, but perhaps it doesn't matter. Some people just like flags I guess!

Yes. A friend of mine got them for me at a second hand shop. No explanation was included.
  • >In your opinion, how do you know when someone is not sincere with their Buddhism?

Using the word "someone" implies that there is a whole, integral entity that can be ascribed various characteristics. Of course, Buddhism teaches that there isn't. We are processes, in constant flux, in turn consisting of many subprocesses.

When we start classifying people into categories (Buddhists, Hindus or what not), we are re-enforcing the delusion that we are these constant, homegeneous selfs. It is that delusion that makes us suffer.

Regarding the original question, I think we are all Buddhists to various degrees, even those who have no idea what Buddhism is. Some aspects of our beings are attuned to The Truth and some not as much. As I see it, the purpose of Buddhist Practice is to bring all the chunks of that boiling, changing thing we call "I" or "self" in touch with that Truth.
    lobsterpommesetoranges
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Regarding the original question, I think we are all Buddhists to various degrees, even those who have no idea what Buddhism is. ...

What do you think would happen if you told that to a fervent Muslim?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Few things puff up a Buddhist identity like conforming to Buddhism's "ism".
    Most of the time to me it looks like the Ego has just scored a prettier dress to prance about in. A practise of worth should say that our judgements about real & fake buddhists are more about us than the ones we wag our fingers at.
    RebeccaSlobster
  • DaftChris said:

I It got me thinking: If that was what some people would consider a fake Hindu, what would be the characteristics of a fake Buddhist?

In your opinion, how do you know when someone is not sincere with their Buddhism?

That would be as difficult as determining a fake orgasm. In both cases, it probably is a waste of precious time.
    DaftChristmottes
  • Carl Jung said all buddhists are fake.

I don't really care if I follow buddhism exactly by the book or not.
    Even just trying makes me a happier and wiser person.
    Bunks
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012

Carl Jung said all buddhists are
    fake.

I dont think he did...
    What Jung said was that WESTERNERS who attempt to take on the persona built on the cultural norms of another culture are in danger of becoming inauthentic.
    But when he said that Buddhadharma had not entered onto the western mainstream...and in any case Jung was a pioneer who was wrong about quite a lot of things.
  • It seems to me that Jung makes a very good point, and it's good to see him being defended from misrepresentation. He was way ahead of the game in his time and did wonders for Alchemy.

andyrobyn
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Metallica said:

What if accesing a sangha or monastic teahcers wasn't an option for you for multiple reasons? You didn't think of that one did you? Oh well you're banned now anyway so there's no point in saying.
    IMO a fake Buddhist would be one of those pretentious people who just claim to be a Buddhist without actually understanding fully what Buddhism is about or practicing it and just says that they are one to appear complex or cultured, there is someone at my school who is like that.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    kashi said:

federica said:

However:

I have to agree with this answer. It happens in every religion...some say what devoted (fill in the blanks) they are, but make a show of that religion. In the privacy of closed doors, one could be a child molester, or be a crack head.. etc.

It could mean that Buddhism is not their priority, but does it mean they are fake Buddhists?
  • Starting from a position of being a fake is something even the Buddha had to face, after realising his austerities had achieved no resolution.
    Most of us are involved in the cessation of suffering because that seems . . . cozy. When we realise it is a lifetime or more of serious effort, we run to the shelter of easier dharmas. In the next year I will be a Buddha, in order to achieve this I will have to stop stating unrealistic agendas. Meanwhile can we assume that anyone not attempting Buddhahood is fake or just stop the real, unreal arisings . . . :wave:
  • I always thought fakirs were Hindu...
    NirvanaTheEccentric
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I think all Buddhists should apply for a certificate of authenticity, and pass a mindfulness test... :p
    pommesetorangesDaftChrislobsterNirvana
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Citta said:

fake.

I dont think he did...
    What Jung said was that WESTERNERS who attempt to take on the persona built on the cultural norms of another culture are in danger of becoming inauthentic.
    But when he said that Buddhadharma had not entered onto the western mainstream...and in any case Jung was a pioneer who was wrong about quite a lot of things.
    I'm great at not expressing myself in the right way :).
    He said that buddhism is an extremist system of believe, for it denounces all sensetory pleasures.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited January 2013

Citta said:

fake.

I dont think he did...
    I'm great at not expressing myself in the right way :).
    He said that buddhism is an extremist system of believe, for it denounces all sensetory pleasures. (man and his images)

I don't agree tough.
    TBH you are a fact Buddhist if you brake the 5 precepts, including refraining from alcohol, if you were deicated to Buddhism and it actually meant a lot to to you, you would be able to lay of the booze.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    DaftChris said:

In your opinion, how do you know when someone is not sincere with their Buddhism?

What a lively thread! I must say that I haven't clicked on so many LOLs (and even an 'Awesome') in a single 15 minutes before.

In my life I have noted that converts to a new religion or way of thinking often go to great pains to mine for the finest ores in the depths of their newfound faiths. They tend to be more zealous than those inheriting those faiths by birth or tradition.

Whether the lay people among them might hold themselves to stricter standards might perhaps be a good research project. (I recently heard a Sanskritist friend of mine refer to pundits (pandits) as "researchers.") But it certainly would be ridiculous, even for a convert, to question the sincerity of someone whose actions neither impinged negatively on any under his charge or on the person who might ponder such a question.

The religious sincerity of another is, firstly, none of my damned business; secondly, impossible to judge fairly (for we all wax over small imperfections we have and sell brighter products to ourselves, if for no other reason than to stay positively focussed), and thirdly, if not most importantly, our eyes should be on the prize, not on any imagined competitors.

I imagine that being a Fake Buddhist myself, I'm not even aware when some of you are talking tongue-in-cheek. But I think I understood one or two of you.

TBH you are a fact Buddhist if you brake the 5 precepts, including refraining from alcohol, if you were deicated to Buddhism and it actually meant a lot to to you, you would be able to lay of the booze.
    Then I guess the majority of Buddhists in the world are pretty screwed, huh? :lol:
    DaftChris said:

Then I guess the majority of Buddhists in the world are pretty screwed, huh? :lol:

The majority of Western Buddhists maybe. A Buddhist who brakes the 5 precepts especially by drinking is like a Christian who brakes the ten commandments, a Hindu who eats beef, a Jew or a Muslim that its Pork etcs
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    In my sangha you are not required to take the precept of drinking. And life moves on. There are no Buddhists. There is just practice. And choices and consequences.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2013

TBH you are a fact Buddhist if you brake the 5 precepts, including refraining from alcohol, if you were dedicated to Buddhism and it actually meant a lot to to you, you would be able to lay of the booze.

Many people take along time to move away from worldly enjoyments it is not as easy once you are already down that path to give it up because Buddhism comes along, I not long ago took the Pratimoksha vows/5 Precepts it was a great decision and its helped my practice greatly having a foundation of morale discipline is a good thing to keep firm and receive from a qualified preceptor.
    TheEccentric
    Jeffrey said:

In my sangha you are not required to take the precept of drinking. And life moves on. There are no Buddhists. There is just practice. And choices and consequences.

But why would you drink anyway, so much ill will and problems arise from alchohol, even in moderation it still controls you.

vinlyn
  • DaftChris said:

The majority of Western Buddhists maybe. A Buddhist who brakes the 5 precepts especially by drinking is like a Christian who brakes the ten commandments, a Hindu who eats beef, a Jew or a Muslim that its Pork etcs

A Jew who eats pork is still a Jew. In fact not all denominations of Judaism place importance on keeping kosher. I used to go to a Reform temple, and it was up to the individual as to what mitzvot they wanted to keep based on what they as individuals felt was important. I can not speak for Christians, Muslims and Hindus, of course. At any rate, there is much more to being Jewish than whether or not one abstains from eating pork or mixing milk and meat. Just as there is much more to being a Buddhist than whether or not one abstains from alcohol.

Making the decision to be Buddhist does not mean that one's slate is automatically wiped clean, and they start out as perfect Buddhists. Guess what. It's a slog. An uphill in the rain type slog sometimes. Buddhism requires a lot from an individual -- it's like rewiring your brain to percieve the world in a completely different way. When I first found Buddhism I didn't last long at all before I decided it wasn't for me, because I wan't a good enough person to possibly follow such a path. Because of my all or nothing attitude, it took another ten years for me to get back here. I finally realized that it's okay to take it one step at a time. I did give up eating meat, but I'm not ready to tackle the 5th precept yet.

I don't drink heavily (never was much of a partier, and the partying I did do was a long time ago), but I do drink socially. Trying to pass up a pint of my favorite beer while trying to explain to confused family and friends that I don't do that anymore isn't something I have in me to do at the moment. I expect at some point I probably will, but like giving up meat, I had to get to the right place internally to go through with it. It's not something that necessarly happens over night. There are a lot of cultural components to eating and drinking -- they are often how people come together, so when you make drastic changes to that, it can also affect loved ones, family gatherings etc. That to me is the difficult thing about making such changes.

The thing about trying to judge who's a 'real' Buddhist or not is that we all aren't at the same place in our journies, we all face our own individual difficulties, and we all move at our own paces. Just because someone is having trouble with a precept doesn't mean that they aren't sincere.
    DaftChrisStraight_Manlobster
  • Jeffrey said:

But why would you drink anyway, so much ill will and problems arise from alchohol, even in moderation it still controls you.

Eh, alcohol isn't that black and white. People don't all respond to it in the same way. It can be very unhealthy and dangerous or pretty well harmless depending. It is not particularly conducive to being aware or trying to meditate (at least not for me, lol), but it's often not as destructive as you make it out to be. I can think of some good reasons for the existance of the 5th precept, but do try to keep things in perspective.
    Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    @TheEccentric, I don't find ill will arises via alcohol in moderation. I also don't find that it controls me any more than a cup of coffee. I think it's maybe easier to give up drinking than give up morning coffee. :lol:

I gave up drinking mostly via compassion and making pranidhanas which are a little different from vows.
    Bunks
    Each of us has to make our own decisions, because we are humans. Because of that, I'm all in favor of "cherry picking".

But really now -- for example -- there are people on this forum who will rant and rave about rebirth because that's their view -- that Buddhism teaches rebirth.

But then they choose to ignore that Buddhism also teaches that the consumption of intoxicating drinks is unwise. And why? Isn't it true that Buddhist teachings (as in the Precepts) are actually quite specific, while the teaching of things such as rebirth are actually comparatively less specific.

What does it boil down to -- they want to drink.

lobsterInvincible_summerTheEccentric

DaftChris said:

There are plenty of Jews and Muslims who do eat pork on occasion and they are still good, dedicated people. Same goes for Hindus who may indulge in a hamburger once in a while. I have yet to meet a Christian who actually keeps the 10 commandments.

Likewise, there are plenty of "ethnic" Buddhists who break precepts. We are humans; not machines. We cannot follow the rules 100% of the time, but we can try our best; and that means we will make mistakes. It's all a learning experience.

Breaking the rules is not the end of the world; nor does it make anyone fake within their religion.
    JeffreylobsterBunks
    DaftChris said:

DaftChris said:

There are plenty of Jews and Muslims who do eat pork on occasion and they are still good, dedicated people. Same goes for Hindus who may indulge in a hamburger once in a while. I have yet to meet a Christian who actually keeps the 10 commandments.

Likewise, there are plenty of "ethnic" Buddhists who break precepts. We are humans; not machines. We cannot follow the rules 100% of the time, but we can try our best; and that means we will make mistakes. It's all a learning experience.

Breaking the rules is not the end of the world; nor does it make anyone fake within their religion.

I think we've got two different things going on here.

I agree with your assessment that breaking the rules is not the end of the world. And, I agree that breaking the Precepts does not make one a "fake" Buddhist. I think bringing the word "fake" into the discussion was unwise and inappropriate.

On the other hand, breaking Precepts may bring into question one's level of dedication. But I don't think that one is either dedicated or not dedicated. I was a school principal who was dedicated to my profession. But there were those who were more dedicated, and -- trust me -- those who were far less dedicated. I think dedication in something is a matter of degrees.

For example, becoming a life-long monk is a higher level of dedication than a lay person visiting a temple once in a while.

JeffreylobsterTheEccentric
    vinlyn said:

DaftChris said:

DaftChris said:

I agree with your assessment that breaking the rules is not the end of the world. And, I agree that breaking the Precepts does not make one a "fake" Buddhist. I think bringing the word "fake" into the discussion was unwise and inappropriate.

On the other hand, breaking Precepts may bring into question one's level of dedication. But I don't think that one is either dedicated or not dedicated. I was a school principal who was dedicated to my profession. But there were those who were more dedicated, and -- trust me -- those who were far less dedicated. I think dedication in something is a matter of degrees.

For example, becoming a life-long monk is a higher level of dedication than a lay person visiting a temple once in a while.

I see where you are coming from.

Here is how I view it: if you are sincere, but occasionally break precepts, then, to me, you are still sincere. Like I said, it's a learning experience. I don't think people will get it right the first time around. :)

However, if you say you are a Buddhist, but put no real effort into it, break precepts and still don't put any effort into it, then that would constitute as "fake". Kind of like a person who labels themself as a Buddhist on Facebook, posts a ton of Buddha related postings, but shows no compassion in real life.

DaftChris said:

vinlyn said:

DaftChris said:

DaftChris said:

I see where you are coming from.

Here is how I view it: if you are sincere, but occasionally break precepts, then, to me, you are still sincere. Like I said, it's a learning experience. I don't think people will get it right the first time around. :)

However, if you say you are a Buddhist, but put no real effort into it, break precepts and still don't put any effort into it, then that would constitute as "fake". Kind of like a person who labels themself as a Buddhist on Facebook, posts a ton of Buddha related postings, but shows no compassion in real life.

Okay, I pretty much agree with you, with the exception of using the word "fake".

And just one caution -- we often fool ourselves about how dedicated we are to something. I am far from the most faithful Buddhist here, but on the other hand, there are very faithful Buddhists here that I think are very wrong about things.

DaftChris
This discussion has been closed.